Music For the Royal Fireworks

Sarah Tintagyl

Lucas put his drink down on a passing tray. Took Melissa's hand, bowed and looked up from his position.

"May I have this dance?"

----

Ava giggled softly as her hand was kissed.

"It would be my pleasure."

She and Artemis made thier way to the middle of the dance floor. She moved closer to him and let him take the lead.

Melissa inclined her head. "Yes you may."

She allowed him to lead her out onto the floor, mentally making a note to thank her father for teaching her, among other things, how to dance.

----

It took Artemis a moment to remember the steps. He was still adjusting a little to his newfound abilities. But at least he didn't step on her toes, and after about half a minute, his muscles remembered the pattern, and then it was a simple matter of giving himself over to his memories.

His mother had been a beautiful dancer, he briefly recalled, squashing the thought before it could ruin the mood. He wanted to remain happy for the moment, not just for himself, but for the girl he was dancing with.

Catherine spoke as their dance continued, "What are your plans this evening, are you planning to continue our lovely dance or do you have somewhere to attend to?" She asked this question, wondering since the Duke is an important player in Australian politics.

"Oh, I made sure to re-schedule any appointments I had for today," he said lightly. I dont have to go back to work until tomorrow."

"I've not been to many parties like this," he added in a whisper, "And I didn't want to miss it."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melissa inclined her head. "Yes you may."

She allowed him to lead her out onto the floor, mentally making a note to thank her father for teaching her, among other things, how to dance.

----

It took Artemis a moment to remember the steps. He was still adjusting a little to his newfound abilities. But at least he didn't step on her toes, and after about half a minute, his muscles remembered the pattern, and then it was a simple matter of giving himself over to his memories.

His mother had been a beautiful dancer, he briefly recalled, squashing the thought before it could ruin the mood. He wanted to remain happy for the moment, not just for himself, but for the girl he was dancing with.

He smiled as they made thier way into the crowd on the dance floor. Lucas took Melissa away, following the crowds rythme around them. His grip was loose, but he didnt wish to let go. He left one hand in hers, and another on her waist.

----

Ava lit up as she held on to Artemis. She finally felt as if she was in the right place. For so long, all she wanted was to be seen as an equal, but as such a young Queen everyone simply babied her. Now, she was swept off her feet, an equal with all of those surrounding her. She had Artemis to thank for this.

Kintober took a break from his rant and looked across the ballroom, he was surprised and amused by two of the men he saw entertaining their own company. "Artemis and Lucas! What a small world." He muttered. He turned to Kat and giggled. He snatched an orderve with two olives on it from a passing waiter and pulled the two olives off it. "Watch this." He said with a mischievous grin. In rapid succession, he flicked an olive at both Artemis and Lucas. Bullseye scored the backs of their heads. He snickered immaturely and quickly turned back to face Kat. "What's the point of a party if you can't have fun, hmm"

"Oh, I made sure to re-schedule any appointments I had for today," he said lightly. I dont have to go back to work until tomorrow."

"I've not been to many parties like this," he added in a whisper, "And I didn't want to miss it."

"Well I'm glad. I had to make sure I do the same thing with all my prior appointments just so I could come. My First Minister said he will take care of " Catherine said, they continued waltzing under the moonlit sky.

He smiled as they made thier way into the crowd on the dance floor. Lucas took Melissa away, following the crowds rythme around them. His grip was loose, but he didnt wish to let go. He left one hand in hers, and another on her waist.

----

Ava lit up as she held on to Artemis. She finally felt as if she was in the right place. For so long, all she wanted was to be seen as an equal, but as such a young Queen everyone simply babied her. Now, she was swept off her feet, an equal with all of those surrounding her. She had Artemis to thank for this.

As they swept out onto the floor and into the first dance, Melissa placed the hand he wasn't holding on his shoulder, looking up into his eyes.

"So, Mr. Perry, where did you learn how to dance so well?"

----

Artemis was quite pleased with himself. He wasn't sure if what he had been doing was the right thing to make her happy, but evidently it was.

But he tried not to let it make him overconfident. He'd always lectured those under him not to let overconfidence get them, no matter the situation, and his smile grew more natural and relaxed...

Kintober took a break from his rant and looked across the ballroom, he was surprised and amused by two of the men he saw entertaining their own company. "Artemis and Lucas! What a small world." He muttered. He turned to Kat and giggled. He snatched an orderve with two olives on it from a passing waiter and pulled the two olives off it. "Watch this." He said with a mischievous grin. In rapid succession, he flicked an olive at both Artemis and Lucas. Bullseye scored the backs of their heads. He snickered immaturely and quickly turned back to face Kat. "What's the point of a party if you can't have fun, hmm"

At least until he felt the little impact on the back of his head. It whipped around in a blur of motion, but when he saw who had thrown the olive, his eyes widened. At least until he saw the expression on Kintober's face. Then he stuck out his tongue briefly before turning his attention back to Ava.

"Well I'm glad. I had to make sure I do the same thing with all my prior appointments just so I could come. My First Minister said he will take care of " Catherine said, they continued waltzing under the moonlit sky.

"It's nice to know you have competent staff under you," he commented with the air of experience. "...so you can do things like this once in a while without worrying the nation will fall to pieces while you are away." He had been a president at one time, so he knew all about that.

Seeing Hannah all alone, Mikhail knew this was his chance to make a good impression. Although they were an ocean away, Australia could prove to be a good friend (and source of badly needed cash). Walking over to Hannah, Mikhail cleared his throat to get her attention. When Hannah turned around, Mikhail began. "Good evening, your highness," he said to the queen, "but seeing as the party is taking a break, I thought it would be nice to properly introduce myself. I am Sultan Mikhail Stein, of Marscurian Pakistan." He dropped to one knee in a bow of respect to the queen.

Haruhi walked thearea, and seemed to roam endlessly. Time within her own mind passed as if slowed by the hands of the kami themselves, or perhaps the youkai of the darkest realms were at work in this affair. Thoughts of the spiritual world and the Shinto faith plagued her mind. As she continued to walk, she went into a somewhat-dark area, and out of curiosity, let her feet stride towards it.

She had no idea what to expect, and only saw a dark figure in the area. Within her own mind, she pondered whom would sit in a dark area away from the procession at hand? She herself had tried to escape the jolly and joyous feelings of the occasion, but why sit in a dark area with nothing but yourself to keep your comforted and entertained.

She spoke, as if her voice would pierce the cloudiest and murkiest darkness, and awaken the creature within this area of the pavilion.

"Who lies, alone, in this darkest of places?"

Edited by Elrich von Richt

Luis rose an eyebrow at her. "My service to the Marchar is eternal...just not in the same fashion. And though my service to the Lady Tintagyl ended years ago, I have never left the employ of Sarah, who it's been my eternal joy to know and love, as few else have. As for my future...Luis De Luit has no plans, just hopes. He is a man with loyalties but no employer, a mission but no job; a penniless bachelor without kith and thankfully without power. Where do you think such a man should go?"

Sarah tapped her chin a few times and looked down at the Knight, he reminded her of the traveling vagabonds of Europe or perhaps the Ronin of Japan. Wandering the world and without a master, or in this case a mistress. "You know Luis, to say that you have nowhere to go would be a shame. Listen to me." She took his shoulders in his hands. "I have a different path now, vastly different from your own, but you still have a country to serve." Sarah turned his head to look at Hannah. "You see her there, she is your Queen, she needs the wisdom that you imparted onto me. She is the embodiment of this state, the living, breathing Hansa. She is the Land that you trod on, the soil that you farm. Do not disappoint your first Mistress by abandoning she who needs you most. There is a glory greater than the Hansa that rests with the Queendom, you just need to help find it. Fix the world that was ruined by those that destroyed my dream. That...that Luis would be the greatest gift you could ever give me."

Seeing Hannah all alone, Mikhail knew this was his chance to make a good impression. Although they were an ocean away, Australia could prove to be a good friend (and source of badly needed cash). Walking over to Hannah, Mikhail cleared his throat to get her attention. When Hannah turned around, Mikhail began. "Good evening, your highness," he said to the queen, "but seeing as the party is taking a break, I thought it would be nice to properly introduce myself. I am Sultan Mikhail Stein, of Marscurian Pakistan." He dropped to one knee in a bow of respect to the queen.

Hannah smiled gently letting the Sultan rise back to his feet. "You did introduce yourself before Excellency. Please, there is no need for formal gestures. What is it that you wanted to speak about, or perhaps just idle talk?" The lights gleamed in her bright green eyes and shown down softly on the Queen's white hair.

Haruhi walked the corridors of the ballroom, and seemed to roam endlessly. Time within her own mind passed as if slowed by the hands of the kami themselves, or perhaps the youkai of the darkest realms were at work in this affair. Thoughts of the spiritual world and the Shinto faith plagued her mind. As she continued to walk, she went into a somewhat-dark room, and out of curiosity, let her feet walk in.

She had no idea what to expect, and only saw a dark figure inside the room. Within her own mind, she pondered whom would sit in a dark room away from the procession at hand? She herself had tried to escape the jolly and joyous feelings of the occasion, but why sit in a dark room with nothing but yourself to keep your comforted and entertained.

She spoke, as if her voice would pierce the cloudiest and murkiest darkness, and awaken the creature within this room.

"Who lies, alone, in this chamber?"

OOC: Elrich you realize that this is under a pavilion tent right and they're floating in the middle of a river....could you edit maybe or we could do something in a different thread perhaps.

Hannah smiled gently letting the Sultan rise back to his feet. "You did introduce yourself before Excellency. Please, there is no need for formal gestures. What is it that you wanted to speak about, or perhaps just idle talk?" The lights gleamed in her bright green eyes and shown down softly on the Queen's white hair.

"W...well, I thought it would be good to meet the queen of a continent," Mikhail said. He was trying to make jokes while extremely nervous, and he was failing miserably. He cleared his throat and attempted to restart the conversation. "Your highness, I simply wanted to talk to you on a casual level. Maybe we could have a conversation while the party is lulled. This could be a good chance to get to know each other. What do you say?"

"W...well, I thought it would be good to meet the queen of a continent," Mikhail said. He was trying to make jokes while extremely nervous, and he was failing miserably. He cleared his throat and attempted to restart the conversation. "Your highness, I simply wanted to talk to you on a casual level. Maybe we could have a conversation while the party is lulled. This could be a good chance to get to know each other. What do you say?"

The Australian Queen laughed at the statement. "A Queen of a continent, please, Your Highness, stop, there's no need to impress like that. Just speak your peace and we're fine." But as he continued it was easy to tell that his only intentions were that to make light talk with her. Which really she had no problem with. "Well please, she said pointing over to an open table and pulling herself a seat. I'm more than open to casual conversation, though as the person asking, I would then have to say what is on your mind to talk, Majesty." She said with a wink.

"It's nice to know you have competent staff under you," he commented with the air of experience. "...so you can do things like this once in a while without worrying the nation will fall to pieces while you are away." He had been a president at one time, so he knew all about that.

"I agree entirely, and I hope that my sucessors will follow in that tradition when I retire." Catherine commented back, with the same air of experience.

The Australian Queen laughed at the statement. "A Queen of a continent, please, Your Highness, stop, there's no need to impress like that. Just speak your peace and we're fine." But as he continued it was easy to tell that his only intentions were that to make light talk with her. Which really she had no problem with. "Well please, she said pointing over to an open table and pulling herself a seat. I'm more than open to casual conversation, though as the person asking, I would then have to say what is on your mind to talk, Majesty." She said with a wink.

Feeling a little more at ease, Mikhail took a seat across the table from Hannah. He took a quick pause once he sat down, as he was thinking of something to say to start the conversation. It turned out that he really hadn't thought that far ahead, and actually hoped that Hannah would ask the first question. All he knew was that he had to do something he was very bad at, he had to make a good first impression. "I'm sorry," Mikhail said, "I'm very bad at starting conversations." He closed his eyes for a moment and then just began to speak. "Well, I suppose I should tell you a little about myself. I have a beautiful wife, Rania, and a son, Meyer. I just wish I could see them more. I like to be very hands on in ruling, and I am constantly on the road or riding the rails to some far off corner of my country. It is a beautiful land, you really must see it sometime. How about you Hannah. I briefly know Sarah, but I don't know anything about you."

Luis nodded, still in a reverie. "You are as correct as ever, my Lady. And yet...to have those days back.." he paused, fighting the catch in his throat. "We made this country beautiful, Sarah. And you are wrong, as you rarely are; your dream is alive and well. I see it daily in the faces of our children, in the faces of those who we brought through hell itself..."

Luis looked away, glad for the few shadows in the room that could obscure his face. "At any rate, you have my services...and more. If you should ever have need of either..." He let that linger, a nostalgic smile on his face. "It seems I should go and attend to that order, Sarah. I'll...talk to you later. I'm sure you don't know how to surf yet, and I still have to teach you!"

With that, he kissed her palm and said goodnight, making his way through the crowd. Even in this gay event, however, one could still hear whispers...not all of them kind.

"Well what is he going to do? He has no power, now; by Nemesis, he's not even of the nobility..."

"That man'll fade from the scene, now. He gave away his biggest bargaining chip, and for what? Unrequited love?"

"He doesn't even have a wife...even if She gave him a title and land, how will he carry it on?"

Luis shook the whispers off, straining not to hear them. But of course they were correct, the harpies. He had given all of himself; would continue to give all. But what had it won him? These doubts nagged at him, even as he reassured himself; he had lead his people as well as he could, he had helped create the modern Queendom...he was a well accomplished man. And yet...

Luis shook his head; it was hardly well for him to be so doubtful as he approached her highness. Allowing himself a slight, almost sincere smile, he presented himself in front of the Queen, waiting for Her to dismiss her gentlemanly companion. As they parted, he approached, presenting himself with what composure he could muster.

"My Queen...Hannah, I've been commanded by the Lady herself that I should continue in your service; and when have I ever been able to resist an order from her? So, I would...formally like to offer my services; how you want them, where you'd want them. The assignment makes little difference...as long as I am serving. Will you be kind and allow a...individual such as myself in your service?"

"I agree entirely, and I hope that my sucessors will follow in that tradition when I retire." Catherine commented back, with the same air of experience.

Jackson nodded. He'd been fortunate Davies had been on hand to take the reigns while he was in a coma.

"So...I have to confess to a less than adequate knowledge of Yuktobania. I know you and the Hanseatic Commowealth were close, via their economic union, but that's about all--Promised Land didn't have a liot of dealings with your country. Would you be willing to...rectify that ignorance?" He grinned as he asked the last question.

OOC: TBH, I'm running out of ideas what to say...

As they swept out onto the floor and into the first dance, Melissa placed the hand he wasn't holding on his shoulder, looking up into his eyes.

"So, Mr. Perry, where did you learn how to dance so well?"

Lucas pulled her in close and held on to her for a brief moment, he smiled and said, "Television." He spun her out and grabbed her hand and took her away to the left. He had her leave her feet for a moment, and at the end of the song, finished it with a dip. He looked into her eyes and smiled,

"And where did you get those eyes, because I am just spell bound."

Artemis was quite pleased with himself. He wasn't sure if what he had been doing was the right thing to make her happy, but evidently it was.

But he tried not to let it make him overconfident. He'd always lectured those under him not to let overconfidence get them, no matter the situation, and his smile grew more natural and relaxed...

At least until he felt the little impact on the back of his head. It whipped around in a blur of motion, but when he saw who had thrown the olive, his eyes widened. At least until he saw the expression on Kintober's face. Then he stuck out his tongue briefly before turning his attention back to Ava.

Ava caught a glimps of what happened and chuckled a little bit. When Artemis looked back, Ava gestured towards Kintober.

"Friend of yours?"

Lucas pulled her in close and held on to her for a brief moment, he smiled and said, "Television." He spun her out and grabbed her hand and took her away to the left. He had her leave her feet for a moment, and at the end of the song, finished it with a dip. He looked into her eyes and smiled,

"And where did you get those eyes, because I am just spell bound."

Melissa raised her eyebrows. Television? An interesting teacher. But she was too caught up in the dance to think about replying to that.

At the end of that dance, she had no choice but to look him in the eyes. Not that it was something she didn't want to do, of course.

She smiled at the compliment, feeling a faint blush warm her cheeks. "Thank you. I got them from my father."

Ava caught a glimps of what happened and chuckled a little bit. When Artemis looked back, Ava gestured towards Kintober.

"Friend of yours?"

Artemis chuckled, taking a breather as that particular song ended. "I suppose you could say that. He gave me some things I wanted, so I promised to work for him for a little while. So in a way, he's more like he's my boss, really."

"My Queen...Hannah, I've been commanded by the Lady herself that I should continue in your service; and when have I ever been able to resist an order from her? So, I would...formally like to offer my services; how you want them, where you'd want them. The assignment makes little difference...as long as I am serving. Will you be kind and allow a...individual such as myself in your service?"

Hannah smiled and turned away from the Sultan for a moment. "Well if Lady Tintagyl trusts you in serving the Queendom, who am I to refuse." She chuckled. "Though to be honest Luis, I had already offered you the position of Duke of the Pacific Islands, which you turned down. Since it would seem that you would like a position, perhaps closer to home. I see no reason why the founder of the Lillian Guard should be without his issue for command. Therefore, if you would be up to the task, I would have no problem with you commanding the Palace Guards. These would include a number of Lillians, a few SWORD members, among others, but it is a Royal Detachment. So what would you say to that. Luis de Luit..." The Queen paused. "Though for the life of me, I can't think...aha...What would you say to Constable of the Palace? Commander of the Royal Guards."

Hannah smiled and turned away from the Sultan for a moment. "Well if Lady Tintagyl trusts you in serving the Queendom, who am I to refuse." She chuckled. "Though to be honest Luis, I had already offered you the position of Duke of the Pacific Islands, which you turned down. Since it would seem that you would like a position, perhaps closer to home. I see no reason why the founder of the Lillian Guard should be without his issue for command. Therefore, if you would be up to the task, I would have no problem with you commanding the Palace Guards. These would include a number of Lillians, a few SWORD members, among others, but it is a Royal Detachment. So what would you say to that. Luis de Luit..." The Queen paused. "Though for the life of me, I can't think...aha...What would you say to Constable of the Palace? Commander of the Royal Guards."

Luis smiled. "It'd be an excellent change from the hazy, foggy duties of my previous post, that's for sure. And", he added in a whisper, "You still need someone to run those missions that are so secret even you shouldn't know about it. I'll be your knife in the dark, even as I play shining knight." He resumed his normal voice. "I've run security for a long time, I'm sure it'll be a good fit. Besides, how will I maintain my arrogant posture of an artistic, aristocratic fop if I can't go to the Hanseatic Playhouse to complain about the latest scenes?"

He laughed and turned slightly away. "I'll be good for the mission, Hannah. It's funny though; Sarah and I encouraged this aristocratic, nobless-oblige mentality, and I offend the very people I inspire by taking this position as a commoner. It's a thing to mock every arrogant sop we've collected, and to remind them that a man of ability is the only truly noble personage out there."

Luis smiled. "It'd be an excellent change from the hazy, foggy duties of my previous post, that's for sure. And", he added in a whisper, "You still need someone to run those missions that are so secret even you shouldn't know about it. I'll be your knife in the dark, even as I play shining knight." He resumed his normal voice. "I've run security for a long time, I'm sure it'll be a good fit. Besides, how will I maintain my arrogant posture of an artistic, aristocratic fop if I can't go to the Hanseatic Playhouse to complain about the latest scenes?"

He laughed and turned slightly away. "I'll be good for the mission, Hannah. It's funny though; Sarah and I encouraged this aristocratic, nobless-oblige mentality, and I offend the very people I inspire by taking this position as a commoner. It's a thing to mock every arrogant sop we've collected, and to remind them that a man of ability is the only truly noble personage out there."

"Well Sarah was never noble per se, though it is the Hanseatic culture of excess and wealth that I think changed all of us." She sighed. "I think every person east of Alice Springs could use a course in humility, but its what happens with monarchical governments, or Quasi-Monarchies, like Lady Sarah's regime. But I mean I'm not telling you can't enjoy yourself, but as I said to you long ago, the aristocrat can be a symbol of power, kindness, and idealism if it can be achieved. If you become a fop like you were I will not have any respect for someone that survives off the riches of the people. We a servants of the people first, then servants to ourselves. However, ability, out ranks all. You are right about that."

"Well Sarah was never noble per se, though it is the Hanseatic culture of excess and wealth that I think changed all of us." She sighed. "I think every person east of Alice Springs could use a course in humility, but its what happens with monarchical governments, or Quasi-Monarchies, like Lady Sarah's regime. But I mean I'm not telling you can't enjoy yourself, but as I said to you long ago, the aristocrat can be a symbol of power, kindness, and idealism if it can be achieved. If you become a fop like you were I will not have any respect for someone that survives off the riches of the people. We a servants of the people first, then servants to ourselves. However, ability, out ranks all. You are right about that."

Luis whispered. "don't break the scene, it'll do you better if I'm underestimated again."

With a normal voice: "Heh. Well, I will make sure to check my ego at the door when I attend you, your Majesty."