Music For the Royal Fireworks

Sarah Tintagyl

*A short time later*

A large space had been cleared in the center of the Ballroom; for a time the gay mood of the evening seemed suppressed, subdued, as the onlookers watched history turn on a pivotal edge. In the center stood one hundred men; dressed to the teeth; a mass formation representing the best and brightest of the Marchar Defense Forces. Every branch stood represented; the Marchar Guards, the famous protectors of the nobility and leadership of the Hansa. The Camberlain Royal Army, who had bravely fought in the north in the defense of Murmansk; the Camberlain Royal Air Force, that had been the last bastion of safety against vicious attack, time and time again. The Lillians too were represented; although their history would continue, this would be their last time as members of the Marchar Military, with Commander Sangral looking like a Queen of Battle. And then, standing at the front of the tightly held formation, were the original Marines, those men who had served since Camberlain was born in blood and fire; The Camberlain Royal Marines. In ancient style, they stood, swords at their waists, dark blue dress coats covered with the medals of victories from the Pacific to Northern Europe. Commissioned Officers, Warrant Officerrs, Staff Non-Coms, and old, salty Non-Coms and Rankers held stock still as Luis De Luit, in the uniform of an ancient Marchia ReichMarshall, walked crisply towards the front, to stand at attention, his sword held tightly to his side. Directly next to the formation on either side stood the Marchar's best and brightest; scholars, aristocrats, men and women of renown. Each of them held a slow burning candle that burned brightly despite the artificial lighting.

Facing the formation, he raised the blade Camberlain and saluted his people. His voice was deep and carrying as he spoke:

"Men and Women of the Camberlain Armed Forces; no, brothers and sisters in service; I am proud to stand before you today, proud to see you here, representing all that is best in us. Each one of you is a matchless warrior; each one of you absolutely peerless in conduct, in honor, in dedication. All of you have stood firm in the face of the enemy; each one of you has run to the sound of the guns, to the fray and din of battle. Each one of you has a heroic story; and I take great pride in knowing each and everyone of them. No one standing before me today is anything less than the best possible representation of the Marchar.

"There are a great many of our family members, our fellow servants, that we wish were standing beside us tonight. From you, much has been asked, much has been demanded, and much taken, for little return. Know this; we have not forgotten them. I certainly have not; and each time we have been tested, we have lost many. Remember them tonight, as we pay witness to the dawning of this new era."

Luis cleared his throat, emotion catching him just enough; when he spoke now, it was as a fellow soldier:

"Brothers, Sisters, a great love and kinship has stood between the people of the Marchar and the Hansa for years now; when we were alone, they gave us friendship and rest, a home first in the North, and then here in the great land of Australia. For years, we loved with them, laughed with them, and bled with them. They are more than our friends; they are apart of us, as we have become part of them. We have firmly married ourselves to this people, this people of light and love, and they to us, a wandering people, a people of war and oaths. In them we find our brothers and sisters, the perfect friends and compatriots. It is already common for us to hear the phrase "Like a Marchar for the Hansa" in everyday use; this means dedication, honor, an abiding and unquenchable love. Let us now make these bonds plain; please, follow me as we salute the Camberlain National Standard, and honor our beloved Cause, one last time."

With that, a flag is marched into the ballroom; battle streamers marking the locations that the Marchar had traveled. Carried by a single Camberlain Marine, the formation came to attention, saluting the fallen standard of their lost nation. Tears brimmed in the eyes of old men, and throats caught as the Camberlain Anthem was played, its familiar strains pulling at their hearts even as they stood with pride. As the anthem died, the lone Marine took down the standard, and gently folded it, holding it out as he stood at attention before the Keeper. Luis paused, catching his composure, and spoke once more:

"Never before has this flag, never before has this force of warriors before me, ever accepted defeat. It does not now; and though we now shall marry our warriors, the very representation of the Marchar, into the Australian military, this flag, and the people it represents, shall always hold the highest honor and prestige amongst us. Formation, Sw-ord SALUTE!"

With that, the formation drew blades, flawless and burning brightly in the light, saluting the flag and the Keeper, as the keeper drew his own blade, and without a wince, took the edge lightly across his palm. He turned, his blade returned to his side, his blood slowly flowing from his hand as he faced the Queen.

"My Queen, who has fought and bled for us, now we bleed for you. The Keeper keeps the land; he is the warrior who leads the people and the sacrifice that goes consenting. He speaks the Wyrd, the fate, of an entire nation, and his oaths are the oaths of the nation. Queen of the Ever-Shining City, hear me now; what I have Kept, I now surrender; what I have taken I now give freely. By my Wyrd, by my love of this beautiful nation, by the blood that flows through me and now flows for you, I swear the loyalty, diligence, love and obedience of the Marchar people to the Royal Line of Hannah Asgeirson, to the Hansa, and to the Queendom. My oath I give, in freedom and in desire, to Keep the safety of the Land as I have Kept the Marchar; and to do so, so do I surrender this authority, so that my swords are yours, my treasure yours, my blood yours. We now and forever salute and swear to obedience to our beloved Queen and to the Honor of the Queendom. MY Queen, BY OUR BLOOD, WE ARE YOURS!"

With that, he raised his bloody hand high, his other taking the Camberlain Standard and placing it in her hands. As he knelt, he spoke low, so that only she could hear:

"Hannah...I have brought them this far. Use us as you will. Just please...Keep them. Love them as I have. That is...all I can ask."

OOC: There is more, but I need your response first. Anything that needs to happen, let it happen, and we'll say that chronologically it worked out either before or after this event.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thunderous applause broke out over the Hanseatic aristocracy at this show of loyalty not only to the previous Commonwealth but to the Queendom now itself. Indeed, both Sarah and Hannah knew that their country owed a great deal to the Marchar people it had been the Marchar people who had first dropped the feeling of Empire onto the people of the Hansa, it had been the Marchar who had led brave Hanseatic men and women across the Pacific, giving the Commonwealth dominion of Polynesia, Antarctica, and the eventually conquering of New Guinea, Japan and the Russian Far East. Indeed the two cultures were inseparable and with the rising glory of the Queendom, Hannah knew that the further integration of these Marchar would only increase Australian dominion in Asia and further across the world.

Stepping out of the crowd and away from David for a moment, she stood next to Luis as he made his oath to the Queen and pledged the Marchar forces to Australia for the final time. She received the standard with a smile as he knelt on the ground in front of her and she touched his head calmly and returned another kiss on his forehead. "You who have pledged so much for the Hanseatic Commonwealth, there is no need for you to bow to anyone. Know that these men and women will always be kept strong and safe within the guidance of the Queendom. I promise to cherish them as I always had on the battlefield. We bleed together at Rostock, I led Marchar into Nordland during the Valkyrie War, and we bleed again in China. There is a bond formed in war that can and never will be undone and I will always be a general, royalty is foppish at best."

She looked up to the line of soldiers on the ballroom floor and smiled holding the banner high above her head. "You who served for the Hansa, I accept your oath as Queen of Australia for you to forever fight for this glorious Queendom. I look forward to our future as one body, one unit, forever dedicated to defend this great country we have build for ourselves. From this day forth, I tell you, stop your wandering, you have a home under my eyes. You have a mother in my heart, and you have a wife in my arms."

She bowed her head once more and rose even higher than human emotions could carry her. "Long Live Australia!"

The aristocracy applauded again in thunder. "Long Live the Queen! Long Live the Queen!"

Hannah turned back to Luis and looked at him with emerald eyes. "Your story is not yet over Lord de Luit, there is so much still to be written and developed. But I promise, the Marchar's glory have not seen their apex just yet."

Silent tears stung his eyes, clinging to his cheeks like drops of dew. With tenderness, he wiped the blood on his lips and pressed a kiss into her palm. "As before, so now, Hannah. My heart is on a chain; bound by love for so many, for these dear ones, for my beloved country, for the future and the glorious woman I follow. Than why do I now feel so free? For you, Hannah. You free us all, wanderers on an empty earth. Now...we are yours."

With that, he wiped the tears away, stood and turned, facing the still tightly-held formations, the emotions warring in their eyes as their faces held their bearing. With a voice that only slightly broke, he cried out loudly:

"Long Live Australia! Long Live the Queen! Long live the Marchar! Glory! Glory, Glory! In Honor and RESPECT, , Warriors of the March, dismissed!"

With that, the formation drew its blades, came to attention, saluted, took one step back, pivoted, and dismissed itself, becoming one massive romp as the fighters were overcome with emotion. Sailors locked arms with Soldiers and Marines hugged Lillians, Colonel's silently wept as Sergeants laughed and grabbed their troopers. Cries of "Australia!", "Camberlain!" "March, March, March!" And "HANNAH!" were heard as they toasted their Queen, their Keeper, their Country.

Fraught with emotion, Luis walked away from the fray, closer to Sarah's side, his face drained of color. "Well," he said, in a voice that sounded as if it came from a great depth, "I've finally put myself out of a job. Perhaps you're hiring? Someone needs to trim hedges, after all."

Edit: Mistakes

IC: Mikhail could do nothing more but simply applaud the Marchar for their devotion. Having to brush a tear from his eye, he had a strange feeling in his chest. He couldn't describe it, as it was more than happyness, it was almost pure joy. Seeing that these men, who had devoted their lives to a cause, were getting the rewards they so rightfully deserved, Mikhail simply had to sit down and take it all in. With the memory of this moment in his mind, he knew that he would have an amazing night.

Edited by KaiserMelech Mikhail

Standing near Sarah at the time, Mikhail heard this, and could not believe his ears. A man of his stature, doing simple yardwork? Never! "Or," Mikhail said softly, "you can train my rangers." The Marscurian Pakistani Rangers were the best fighting force in the country. A 500 man army answerable directly to the Sultan himself. Their sworn goal was to defend the royal family and the palace at all costs. "You would be given the finest housing, along with a generous paycheck. What do you say," Mikhail asked, hoping that Luis would take his offer.

OOC: This is after Kaiser has left the area, in a private moment; please feel free to make that offer later though. Sorry for the inconvenience, people.

Sarah watched the Marchar spectacle with an approving look on her face as they pledged their new loyalty to the Queen. "As it should be." She said leaning against one of the tables with a glass of wine in her hand. "As it should be." While she sat there and after the ceremony had ended, Luis briskly walked over to where she leaned and placed himself next to Sarah.

"Well, I've finally put myself out of a job. Perhaps you're hiring? Someone needs to trim hedges, after all."

She chuckled for a moment and took another sip of her wine. "You'd lower yourself to be a hedge trimmer Luis? Now that is a bit unbecoming of you, don't you think? Do you think you have hire ambitions than working for me again." Sarah looked over at Hannah and smiled. "You see over there, the Queen, your Queen, and mine, if anyone needs someone to work for them, its Hannah. I want to stay away from people working for me, its definitely not going to get me anywhere." She laughed again. "So tell me, I'm curious, what is the famed Luis de Luit going to do with his life now that his service to the Marchar has officially ended as well with his service to Lady Sarah Tintagyl." The Duchess smirked. "Like I said, there are still people in this room...needing of service."

Haruhi continued to sit down silently, barely paying much attention to the words of this Luis figure. In the past few days, her own mind began to isolate itself from those around her. She was tired, and bored. Nowadays, she felt as if she had no control over her own affairs, or over her own nation. The only reason she was here today was because they wanted her to be there.

She sighed, and let out a few light sobs. Holding it in only made it worse, but she couldn't leave a weak and fragile impression in this land. For those there, she, sitting ever so silent and almost coldly in her seat, could be one of the most noticable in the audience, nay, the crowd. She didn't want to stand out, or draw attention to herself. Being in her current state, she would only upset them or leave an unfathomable impression. She didn't want to be weak, or feel like a possessed and controlled youkai. She felt as if those that controlled her was as evil as Amatsu-Mikaboshi. She snapped out of it for a moment, and let herself concentrate and try to calm down. She put on the false mask of eccentricity and happiness, trying to appear as her normal original self, and not as this black, depressing figure. In her current state, she could take center stage in a black comedy, and probably get massive applause.

She sighed again, and remained silent in her seat with the fake mask she wore. For one moment, she glanced up and saw Hannah. She tried to wave to the Imperial Queen of Australia, but could only barely make out a raise of her own hand. Was she really reduced to this? She couldn't tolerate this much longer, and would take action once she got back home. Those pulling the strings would pay, she was sure of it.

The last gesture she gave to Hannah later on, right after the speech ended, and before going silent once more was a small round of applause. The only words she could sneak out even now were not that complex in their form,

"Ohayo, Hannah!"

Watching silently, Nyani leaned up against the bar, a drink in her hand. She saw Katrina talking to a rather peculiar looking man in snow boots.

Saying nothing, she watched the Hanseatic armed procession and nodded her head in approval.

Hmph, while their leaders may be weak, it is reassuring that their warriors are not... maybe our nations aren't so different after all...

Brooding over this thought, she set her glass down and applauded with the Hanseatics.

Edited by Executive Minister

Sarah watched the Marchar spectacle with an approving look on her face as they pledged their new loyalty to the Queen. "As it should be." She said leaning against one of the tables with a glass of wine in her hand. "As it should be." While she sat there and after the ceremony had ended, Luis briskly walked over to where she leaned and placed himself next to Sarah.

"Well, I've finally put myself out of a job. Perhaps you're hiring? Someone needs to trim hedges, after all."

She chuckled for a moment and took another sip of her wine. "You'd lower yourself to be a hedge trimmer Luis? Now that is a bit unbecoming of you, don't you think? Do you think you have hire ambitions than working for me again." Sarah looked over at Hannah and smiled. "You see over there, the Queen, your Queen, and mine, if anyone needs someone to work for them, its Hannah. I want to stay away from people working for me, its definitely not going to get me anywhere." She laughed again. "So tell me, I'm curious, what is the famed Luis de Luit going to do with his life now that his service to the Marchar has officially ended as well with his service to Lady Sarah Tintagyl." The Duchess smirked. "Like I said, there are still people in this room...needing of service."

Luis rose an eyebrow at her. "My service to the Marchar is eternal...just not in the same fashion. And though my service to the Lady Tintagyl ended years ago, I have never left the employ of Sarah, who it's been my eternal joy to know and love, as few else have. As for my future...Luis De Luit has no plans, just hopes. He is a man with loyalties but no employer, a mission but no job; a penniless bachelor without kith and thankfully without power. Where do you think such a man should go?"

"A lovely country you have here. It suits such a lovely woman such as yourself. What brings you to this ball?"

OOC: Mr. Subtle, I know, but Lucas isnt 'uptodate' on topics as he has been gone for over a year.

"I came here to see my family and friends while I was off-duty," she stated, one hand indicating the Lillian uniform she was wearing. "And see if I would meet anyone interesting. You meet all kinds of people at events like these."

OOC: Like you say...I know but she doesn't ;)

Uberstein returns with a firm handshake, "What can I say, things clear up when you retire. Now, who do I give this too?" He holds up the gift, it still wasn't clear what was in it. "Don't worry, it isn't explosive in any way, though it does have a very high alcohol content." He looks around, "One thing, you need more security." He holds up his fairly low-profile cane, "This thing has a shotgun built in, 12 gauge, I wasn't even frisked before I came in and look at all the trouble I went too to arm myself."

Anthony lowered his voice to a whisper. "I told the guards to let you in with a minimum of fuss, just in case you arrived," he confided.

"Your gift," he spoke more loudly now, "should probably go to the hostess of the ball, Sarah Tintagyl."

--------

As always, the Marchar demonstrated their dedication in the most remarkable of ways. For those seeing such for the first time, it would undoubtedly be an awe-inspiring spectacle.

By this time, Raglan was mingling with the crowd. Of course, most of his time was spent observing the habits of others. He had never been particularly sociable, so was quite happy with his station,. He took the odd glass of Champagne as it was offered, and continued with his slow, meandering round of the ballroom.

Callin was fixated on the military display and reminded herself of the academy... and the countless funerals following the East African War. A tear grouped in the pit of her eye as her strengthened eyes began to break down. Zemunda caressed her as he slowly removed her drink from her hand and placed it on the bar counter. It only reminded him of Prefect Torqameda's death, and he lamented every minute of it. Wincing he clutched his lover tighter.

Silently the couple leaned somberly against the bar, grasping to one another, trying to parry the pain of their pasts.

Quietly, another figure approached the ball. While he had no ill intent, he did his best to evade the guards. Not difficult to do considering certain--advantages he possessed. Though he was wary of any technological security devices, he was prepared for those too. It wasn't long before the teenager, known to most simply as Artemis, slipped into the crowd. And though he was a teenager, nearing 17, he could pass for an adult with the hint of a beard along his jawline.

It had been a long time since he had dressed in anything not given him by the Eggman Empire. The tuxedo was almost foreign to him considering what he had gone through, but it was all worth it, really.

Even while in the crowd, he did his best to avoid Emperor Kintober. While he hadn't been forbidden from coming, he hadn't specifically asked if he could be here, either.

But he did manage to make eye contact with Hannah, winking and tossing off a quick two-fingered salute before disappearing into the crowd once more.

Kintober made a face and tried to tell her without divulging state secrets. "Lets just say I uh...work with your type, and while none of them are as beautiful or subtle as you, they all have that same - how do I put it? - killer feel to them. You have such a feel to you as well. It's something I just sorta picked up." He explained. A more correct way was that he created her kind, but failed to make them as charming and mentally stable as Kat. "So, I'm just curious: What did your training detail?" He asked, changing the subject.

Kintober made a face and tried to tell her without divulging state secrets. "Lets just say I uh...work with your type, and while none of them are as beautiful or subtle as you, they all have that same - how do I put it? - killer feel to them. You have such a feel to you as well. It's something I just sorta picked up." He explained. A more correct way was that he created her kind, but failed to make them as charming and mentally stable as Kat. "So, I'm just curious: What did your training detail?" He asked, changing the subject.

With a short chuckle, Kat acted genuinely flattered and said, "My my, such a charming man you are!"

Kat rolled her eyes and said, "Well, they give us your basic knife dueling, Sambo, your Judo, Kyokushin-kaikan, Jujutsu, Explosives and Marksmanship training, pshh, but, who doesn't, ya know? I mean, those are all the standards of the profession right?" Kat talked like she was a school girl talking to her girlfriend about the latest trends and fashions.

"But in the NoN, at the Academies we have," she leaned in, looking both ways before placing her hand near her mouth, an exaggerated mischievous tone on her lips, "they like to get messier than that."

Leaning back, she continued, "I mean, I'm sure you heard about the bloodtank (OOC: about 1/4 of the way down) they make everyone above light infantry status go through, right? Its to condition us, like," she rolled her eyes and continued as if reciting something someone forced her to memorize for the umpteenth time, wagging her fingers and head to the tune of "this is not intended to make you into sadists, this IS, simply because blood is something you'll need to frequent a lot during your career. "

Shaking her head, talking as if she was discussing a favourite pet peeve of hers, "I mean, suuuure you may be right, but I mean c'mon! I couldn't get the stuff out from under my nails for weeks! And the pregnant cats, ughh don't even get me started on those!"

On a roll, she continued "Then, you've got your homicidal instructors and senseis that leave you often wondering whether or not they've got all 20 rounds to their magazine... On top of that you have your 'live' training implements... you get the point, right?

Sighing heavily Callin's gaze wandered, somewhat clouded from the tears. Not even a few yards away she saw a peculiarly dressed man flirting with a physically fit woman covered in tattoos. A few yards behind her was another woman leaned up against the wall, but there was an aura around her that made her stand out. She was astute, and her eyes had a dead stare that showed a quality of observance unknown to most. It was an easy recognition of someone who is well trained by any formidable military. Despite being a seeming wall flower, she had a distinct figure and look that made her easy to recognize.

Looking up she whispered to the Prefect, "Zemunda... is that woman on the wall over there from Nod?".

Zemunda's eyes raised in surprise. Interesting... he thought to himself as he tilted his head over to the Nod's general direction. Immediately he recognized her and was surprised that Callin didn't. Perhaps her emotions had clouded her thinking, but he could remember her face distinctly. Leaning over, he murmured in response, "Hun, that's Nyani... the one from the peace talks a while back. The one you said was headstrong, remember?"

The Patriarch's face immediately lit up. "Oh my... yes, I do remember her. I think I'll go over and talk to her," she squeamishly stated.

Paired eyes matched as Zemunda became confused, but instead of saying anything shrugged and let go of his love. Sighing he remarked, "Just please don't say anything that will start a fight. We don't need what happened at the bar a few weeks ago... that man is still in the hospital because of what you did."

Blushing Callin looked back over her shoulder, "Oh contraire, he was checking me out and you did nothing to stop him. Sorry if you're too weak, my love." She immediately chuckled and walked over to Nyani, poised for a less-than-abrupt conversation.

Edited by SpacingOutMan

She immediately chuckled and walked over to Nyani, poised for a less-than-abrupt conversation.

Korvacs.jpg

Nyani was worried. Kat had been talking to the Emperor for a while now, and that frightened her. She immediately paled at what horrendous diplomatic damage Kat could be doing with a Head of State such as Kintober. Nyani was about to leave her perch at the bar to intervene, until she noticed a figure making her way towards her.

It was Commander Callin, of the UMS. Nyani had recognized her from the video taken from the defunct traffic cameras within the Kolfe District (OOC: Second block) where she observed the tapes of the UMS woman striding across the battlefield herself, doing battle against her brethren in the NoN Armed Forces.

Hmph, Callin?

As the figure, clad in a stunning zebra striped gown approached, Nyani could smell a brief whiff of Jack's.

Well, at least her taste is impeccable.

She mused, gently setting her own glass of the substance down on the bar beside and slowly unfurled her previously crossed arms.

Crossed arms show defensiveness. We are 'friends' now.

Nyani tried to soften her body language, and pretended to just notice the woman. Letting but a smile show on her face, she tried her best to look non-confrontational.

The East African War brooded heavily in Callin's mind. She had witnessed the deaths of many of her comrades and although it was unprecedented for a commanding officer to do battle, she had always felt an obligation to be there with her subordinates. They always put their lives at risk for the defense of the nation, and she had a favor to pay them every time by standing by them time and time again.

Nyani's posture seemed to be awkward. She had unfolded her arms to a seemingly relaxed position, but it was apparent it wasn't a natural pose. Most military-trained personnel always know to never let their defenses down, especially women. Callin was glad for it, though. It was all to obvious that Nyani and she were all too similar: both had blood on their hands from a life's work in combat. They had both made careers out of it, heaving themselves into the fray countless times. It was refreshing for her, though, to know that someone else knows the burden.

Immediately flashing a smile she walked up to Nyani's side and leaned up against the wall herself. Happily she began, "Admittedly, it is surprising to see a woman such as yourself attending an event such as this. It's been a rather long time since last we talked under rather archaic circumstances."

Immediately flashing a smile she walked up to Nyani's side and leaned up against the wall herself. Happily she began, "Admittedly, it is surprising to see a woman such as yourself attending an event such as this. It's been a rather long time since last we talked under rather archaic circumstances."

"Indeed. However, I trust in the Executive Minister's judgement when he sends me to..." She struggled to think of an appropriate word, looking down for a quick moment, before looking into Callin's eyes again, "Occasions such as these." Her tone was proper, and articulate, almost alien in its precedence, whilst still being gentle, her body language and movements relaxed.

She parted back a stray strand of hair behind her ear as sighed, looking away from Callin for a moment to check up on Kat.

"Yes, and as for those... circumstances, I am sorry. This job does take its toll. Sometimes, I wonder if my young protege," she motioned towards Kat and Kintober's animated conversation, "... Katrina, is right in saying that I take things too seriously."

"But enough about me. How does the day greet you?"

The Grand Patriarch knew exactly what she meant. Chuckling she responded, "Ha, yes I know. Honestly, these occasions usually do not tickle my fancy, but it's always worth it when you are here with a special someone...". Her voice trailed off as she motioned toward Zemunda who was at the bar conversing with another man about some mundane topic. Shaking it off, she realize she had traveled into space and regained her composure.

"For those in our position, I would hope they would take it seriously. We hold thousands of lives in the palm of our hands, examining them as molded sculptures as they are melted down in the heat of war. To not take it seriously would be criminal at best, and fool hardy at worst," Callin brazenly stated as her eyebrows became somewhat fierce and her tone fiery. She looked away for a moment and had to return her previous place in mind. Shrugging, she casually responded, "But the day is just another day in the life of politics. In all honesty, I do not know half these people in here, and likely I will never meet them... or perhaps not care to meet them. I must confess I am a tad picky in who I consort with."

Edited by SpacingOutMan

"Ha, yes I know. Honestly, these occasions usually do not tickle my fancy, but it's always worth it when you are here with a special someone...". Her voice trailed off as she motioned toward Zemunda who was at the bar conversing with another man about some mundane topic.

"For those in our position, I would hope they would take it seriously. We hold thousands of lives in the palm of our hands, examining them as molded sculptures as they are melted down in the heat of war. To not take it seriously would be criminal at best, and fool hardy at worst," Callin brazenly stated as her eyebrows became somewhat fierce and her tone fiery.Shrugging, she casually responded, "But the day is just another day in the life of politics. In all honesty, I do not know half these people in here, and likely I will never meet them... or perhaps not care to meet them. I must confess I am a tad picky in who I consort with."

"...with a special someone...."

Nyani felt a sudden pang in her heart as she heard those words. Her thoughts instantly traveled miles and miles back to Ethiopia, where her beloved Janus was off somewhere doing drills or some other mundane military tasks the Ministry of Military Affairs had him do. The threat of war was constant now in her beloved homeland- War in Somalia, in Italy, had time and time again threatened to conflagrate the people under her care.

If her slight distress at the thought of Janus was visible, she quickly quashed it as she took a sip from her previously unattended drink.

"Yes, I would have hoped my husband would have been released from duty for at least a moment, so he may accompany me, but alas, during the Aftermath of the EAW he was promoted. Like his wife, he too has many burdens to bear for our Nation."

Responding to Callin's later thought, Nyani nodded her head in approval. "Indeed, it is good to know there are others out there who feel the travails of my existence. Well, OUR existence now."

The woman beside her was indeed, a fiery one. Noting the abrupt change of topic, Nyani followed suit.

"...I must confess I am a tad picky in who I consort with." Nyani was genuinely flattered at Callin's words. It was nice to know that perhaps, by some crazed circumstances, she had made a new friend in the Mechodamian Lady.

"Well, in that case, I am honoured to be in your company." Nyani was careful that there wasn't so much as a hint of sarcasm or any otherwise hostile tones in her voice.

Now that the formalities were over, Nyani desperately thought of something to talk about. Unfortunately for her, small-talk was not her specialty.

She understood the burden of love but set it aside in the back of her mind. "In all respect, women who are capable of leading instead of following are stronger than any man I have ever met," Callin coldly stated.

A moment passed by as the officer contemplated. Pondering she brought her fingers to lips and felt a tingling sensation in her chest. Yes... her mind digressed. The clarity of the second slowed to a crawl as a veiled sheet blanketed her thoughts. Blankly she set her eyes on Nyani, hardened with a now-approved understanding. "Nyani... have you ever wished that perhaps at some point in your life that you hadn't fought in the military? That you hadn't needed to attend the funerals of countless friends and comrades?"

Kintober nodded. "I've heard of the bloodtank. Seems rather unsophisticated though." He shrugged. "But then again, sometimes you to desensitize people if you want them to fight. Copious amounts of blood and gore seem to do the trick. Eggman Empire takes a more scientific approach to get our troops used to the battlefield and to a lesser extent, killing." Kintober left out the fact the process involved personality-altering drugs. "As for your instructors...well I have to say that many of my special ops units are also trained by borderline sociopaths, so I really can't say anything against them." He said, looking a bit abashed. "Anyway, as much fun as it is talking about what rigorous training you had to suffer through in NoN, why don't we talk about something more enjoyable." He snatched a glass of champagne, downed it, and made a face. "Hannah's a wonderful woman, but she serves weak stuff at her parties." He took a flask out from underneath his suit and opened it. A nose-wrinkling smell akin to turpentine solution emanated from it. Kintober didn't notice the smell and took a swig. "So what float's your fancy?" He asked, extending the flask to Kat.

"Nyani... have you ever wished that perhaps at some point in your life that you hadn't fought in the military? That you hadn't needed to attend the funerals of countless friends and comrades?"

"Erhem..." Nyani was at a loss for words. Such a peculiar question! Although, I do admit, a life in the medical, scientific or educational corps might have been much more forgiving.

After much thought, thinking about her past as a solitary hunter, her training, her... 'Assignments' she started carefully, and deliberately.

"Well," she gave a sheepish 'Ha!' as she shook her head still in a slight disbelief and brought her thoughts together, "...in the NoN, there are certain... requirements a citizen is expected to fulfill within his or her lifetime..."

"It has been, and most often is the case, customary that majority of able bodied men join the military in some form of the other..." quickly taking the final sip in her drink, she quickly motioned to the bartender for a replacement and another for Callin.

Continuing, "...Naturally, not all are graduated to a combat role, mind you, but there is almost always room for logistics, maintenance, procurement, instruction... those who show great merit within the education facilities have the option to graduate to bigger and better things post military, like the Officer Corps, or Elite Cadre instruction where they can opt to leave the service and go to politics or work for the various Ministries..."

The twin double shots of American whiskey came and Nyani gracefully took both and offered one to Callin. Nyani resumed her train of thought once more, with a slightly disapproving tone.

"...those not so fortunate, either without merit at all or who are unable to 'join' the military in any capacity, have the option to not go through with their indoctrination, however, such a choice is usually frowned upon by one's parents and family, as they are left to their own devices and future... the rest of the NoN's industry and services are equally divided between both the left over males and females... now, there HAVE been cases of great successes... but all in all... such... freedoms are taboo, really. Those in the military recieve much in the way of financial aid and compensation... you could say, they are the Upper Class..."

Nyani's voice trailed off for a moment, as she remembered something.

"However, please do not get me wrong. Not everything is set in stone. While there are... tangible benefits for being born into a fortunate family, and the majority of opportunities are for those who show great skill and merit in and of themselves or in the military... we DO take care of those less fortunate. Our mandatory Government run aid programs and... aggressive anti-poverty laws ensure no one is left without a decent living."

Tipping back her drink, "There has been a famous case of one who was born into an extremely well off family, but chose to renege his Elite Cadre option and opt for basic Heavy Infantry... but to make a long story short (OOC: WiP) he ended up being the Executive Minister's Second in Command!" (OOC: General Michaelson, Kat's adoptive father.)

Getting all of that off her chest, she was glad she was able to finally discuss her nation from an objective standpoint with a foreigner- she was curious to see Callin's reaction, she addressed the question at hand.

"Now, as for myself, would I ever think about what life would be like had I not joined the military? The Females of the NoN have it a little more... different. The ambitious choose non-militaristic fields like Education, Science, Healthcare... while most are free to their own devices. We marry, we bear children... but also, we are responsible for many important things... the Ministries cannot survive without female occupancy... there are simply not enough male applicants to fill all the roles, major or minor. All of my diplomatic staff, for instance, are female."

"While I can understand your sentiment, I cannot truely say I was in the 'military' as you know it... Higher-level diplomats are usually only selected for certain... traits that can only be detected in certain fields... my exact occupation left me with little to no 'friends' as you put it. Although I do understand what you mean... sometimes I long for the peaceful life... but if I did live it, I would have never met my beloved Janus."

OOC: Notice she deliberately omitted that she was an assassin... You can push the point more, if you want.

"So what float's your fancy?" He asked, extending the flask to Kat.

"My my Emperor Kintober" Kat feigned an embarassed blush, raising her hands to her mouth, "Are you trying to get me drunk?" She laughed as she took a small sip of the foul smelling substance.

Immediately, the impact of the brew struck her like a freight train. She could taste what she thought was the awful mixture of the roughest liquor imaginable and cat urine.

Holding her breath for a moment and shaking her head at the awful aftertaste, eyes wide, she answered. "What floats my boat? Hmm... Not much... I'd say travelling to distant places... 'meeting' new people."