Name Origins

OberstKrieger

Ah yes, I've been there; recognized it at "Uluru." Then again, when I climbed it, it was still under the European name of Ayer's Rock.

Thats the name most Australian's call it, but I believe it has been renamed Uluru after it was handed over to the Aboriginals. Something of the likes anyway, I haven't done my research -_-

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ruler name doesn't have anything particularly special attributed too it. I used to frequent various RTS games, form clans or join them and wreck havoc on my opponents. As an ode to my arrogance and age, I carried over my name "Owned-You" to CN when I began my career at 14. Just as bland, when I named my Nation "United Owns", it was only due to a lack of creativity that I had to show some form of attachment to my native lands of The United States besides setting my currency as the Dollar. Lastly, my capital name is simply the name of the city I'm currently living at, nothing more or less.

If I could go back in time to add flair to my image and nation name, I surely would.

Ruler: The Big Bad, well long ago in my Army days I loved to get in epic brawls, the more out numbered I was and the bigger the guys the better. My buddies started by calling me a bad $@! and then Mr. Bad and then The Bad. As in, man you guys better back off or The Bad is gonna $%&@ you up. Years later I was watching an episode of the Buffy and they said something about The Big Bad and I though, oh I like that better than just The Bad. So I started using it online.

Nation Name: Empire of the North, no idea I think it had something to with A Game of Thrones and Winterfell but, I don't know anymore. It is ironic as I live in Florida.

Edited by The Big Bad

Ruler Name: TheNeverender - I was fairly hungover from a late night out, suddenly remembered the game from a previous nation, and opted to reroll. At the time of rerolling, the song "Neverender" by Coheed and Cambria came on. At the time, my muddled mind thought adding a 'the' seemed like a good idea.

Nation Name: Artolia - As with a few others, this was actually born from a creative narrative I was writing in my spare time. Some say nothing is truly original anymore, and that seems to be the case, as I much later discovered that name existed as a Kingdom name in the Valkyrie Profile series.

Capital Name: Dycroft - A dungeon from the Tales of Destiny video game.

For the curious, Archon (which is what I normally go as) is derived from my GameFAQs/LUELinks name, which was inspired by my then Counter-Strike (**** yeah 1.3) handle, which was *not* inspired by Starcraft but rather by the Athenian government.

None of these actually make halfway decent online handles, and it has been an ongoing quest of mine to find one that is even remotely unique without sounding stupid. I have continually failed in this endeavor, but the nice side-effect to this is that it's a pain in the $@! to track me across the internet, due to the multitude of other folks who tend to use my names. Especially Archon.

Ruler Name: Blue Lightning was a key character from The Silmarillion. He was considered the greatest of the Noldor aswell as the Deep Elves. His name meant Spirit of Fire which summed up the character perfectly. I choose his name because I enjoyed his story even though he had a tragic demise. If there is a Melkor out there in the Cyberverse then TOP is screwed.

Nation Name: The choice of Blues Paradise was a continuation of The Silmarillion theme. It's the home of the Valar and Deep Elves.

Capital City: The Sticks was the fortress home of Feanor during his time in Valinor.

Fun fact: The battleship "Tirpitz" was sunk here in Norway

Yeah... This is what makes it impossible for me to utterly despise you :(

So, my own... Spider Jerusalem from the Transmetropolitan comics. Not the arachnid and the city.

Though I suppose he is kinda like an arachnid, and he is in a city.

My name? Thought it sounded good

Nation Name, as above

Capital City? Is named after the most northly state on the planet, the only place you can find signs that say "Warning Polar Bears" with a polar bear in a red triangle.

Thats the name most Australian's call it, but I believe it has been renamed Uluru after it was returned to the Aboriginals. Something of the likes anyway, I haven't done my research -_-

I mean, the Aboriginals named it and somewhat "owned" it in the first place, so it was more returning than handing over.

Also, I hate it when Americans say "Aboriginees." It really gets under my skin.

Another side note, I should probably stop derailing my own thread. Continue on with the names, some of these are actually pretty interesting.

Edited by OberstKrieger

User name: Linden16. Trevor Linden's last name, plus his jersey number for the Canucks 16. I wanted just Linden, but it was taken by someone.

Nation Name: Kiljarit- Random letters on a keyboard that sounded like they fit.

Capital: Tirajlik - Same as above, random letters that sound like they fit.

I chose Phoenix Republic as my nation name because my first nation was destroyed during GATO-1V and I rerolled. I went with the rising from the ashes theme.

Mathias was what I named my character in Oblivion, and that had worked out pretty well.

Blacky (Ruler Name) - Derived from BlackBeard which was a character I roleplayed in an anime-based Pirate RP (based on One Piece).

Libnan (Nation Name) - Is the transliteration for the pronounciation of Lebanon where my parents immigrated from.

Laymooneh (Capital City) - Laymooneh is the transliteration for orange.

The city in Lebanon which my parents immigrated from was well known for the everpresent scent of orange blossom which always filled the city with a pleasant aroma.

I mean, the Aboriginals named it and somewhat "owned" it in the first place, so it was more returning than handing over.

Also, I hate it when Americans say "Aboriginees." It really gets under my skin.

Another side note, I should probably stop derailing my own thread. Continue on with the names, some of these are actually pretty interesting.

True, sorry, very bad choice of words there. The Aboriginals did own Uluru before. I don't have a problem with them owning the land.

I'm known as magicninja everywhere I go on the net. Grundy? I have no clue...first thing that came to mind I guess.

magic magic ninjas what?

magic magic ninjas what?

$8 CN if anyone gets the reference. In 2 years only 1 person approached me about it.

Big Money Hustlas?

I so forgot about that.

D:

My ruler name Katsumi was based a name I created with a few weeks before I started playing CN, Aida Katsumi. It's not all that common and has kind of a "cool" feel to it, as it contained a kanji character used primarily in male names with one used in female names, so I used it as the name of a character when I created my nation, especially as I was interested in roleplaying a tough female nation leader. I actually don't particularly like it now, but it's not something I can change without restarting my nation.

My nation name Chokan has very little behind it. I picked it on an impulse with some silly and since forgotten nonsensical meaning, but it was just meant primarily to sound Chinese.

My nation's current capital is Osaka-shi, the name of a famous city.

Ruler name: I had actually first discovered Freddie Mercury from the manga "Cromartie High School" which was basically this extremely idiosyncratic piece of fiction that had some absurd (also hilarious) humor and a cameo of Freddie Mercury who was portrayed as this stout looking guy with tons of manly chest hair and a mustache.

It wasn't until later in which I found out this guy was the guy from the band "Queen". And sure enough I was astounded by the music (well mainly Freddie's singing). I kinda wished I had put a space in between Freddie and Mercury, I figured this like many other games didn't allow spaces and I thought an underscore would look bad.

Nation name: I had actually started out on Nati0nStates 2, I really wanted to make a nation that made tons of references to Freddie Mercury. The nation names in there required a title like "kingdom" or whatnot, and in the selection there was "Queendom" and I thought that fit perfectly with the theme. I think my capital city was Leotard, gay bathhouse or something.

Edited by FreddieMercury

Gentle Persons

User name: Hime Themis :

Hime (姫?) is the Japanese word for princess or a lady of higher birth.

Themis is an ancient Greek goddess. She is described as "of good counsel", and is the embodiment of divine order, law, and custom.

Avatar connection in one, two ...........

Nation Name: Dulra:

Dulra celtic word for nature.

anaclann dúlra

Definition: *Areas allocated to preserve and protect certain animals and plants, or both. They differ from national park, which are largely a place for public recreation, because they are provided exclusively to protect species for their own sake

Capital: Deva Loka

In Indian religions, a devaloka or deva loka is a plane of existence where gods and devas exist. The deva lokas are usually described as places of eternal light and goodness, similar to the concept of Heaven

All honour places I called home growing up in the diplomatic service. All honour values and traditions I hold to.

Respectfully

Dame Hime Themis

Edited by Hime Themis

Ruler & Nation

For several years I played nation sim & rpgs on forums, typically a hybrid of the two. In one game about 5 years ago I was playing India and was designing an aircraft carrier. I was trying to think of a name for it that won't be seen as too unrelated to India yet one also that would give a feeling of power along with quick response times thus Hyderabad became Hyperbad. I decided to choose it for my nation because it just sounded better then a number of names or designations I had for a multitude of other designs.

Capital

I was playing WoW some time after I got WotLK and was creating a Death Knight. I don't normally like naming characters after any real life places or people and so I sat around sounding out various letter combinations. I try to steer clear of sounds that are the most common and vary - not sounding like they're all a part of the same culture. The selection here came about because I played my other characters too much and thus was just tired of seeing their names. I figured it's faster to just rip a name off one I'm using else where then just create a new one altogether.

1473 was my badge number from my first job as a security "officer" at a mall. It was the closest badge to 13 at the time, and 13 is my lucky number.

Motolov is not molotov spelled incorrectly, but one of my friend's last names. He joined and used my last name as his nation name, but he quit soon after.

My capitol is Marleausville because I'm originally from San Jose, and Patrick Marleau was the captain of the San Jose Sharks at the time. I put the capitol right on top of the HP Pavillion, where the Sharks play.

Other than that, I'm very disinteresting. ^_^

LIES !

Haf, we all know you're a true fan of the Haflinger Horse (poney?) :

385855_YLDRF645GMCBZAMSJSWJQ64CGZ5XO5_haflinger_H191637_L.jpg

OR the real Haflinger MiniVan (not even a minicar...) :

haflinger.jpg

OR a fan of the largest manufacturer of boiled wool in Germany, A 50-year old family business :

75489707-250x250-0-0_Haflinger%20Haflinger%20Men%20s%20Women%20s%20Everest%20Boiled%20W.jpg

But NOT the Nick Haflinger of the John Brunner's book Hero !

200px-TheShockwaveRider(1stEd).jpg

:wub: Haf !