Name Origins

OberstKrieger

Ruler Name: I'd always gone by Sir Brendan in another game, however it didn't seem "leader-y" enough so I went with Lord instead.

Nation Name: Alzadar is just a totally random word a friend of mine made up when I was making my account. I like the sound of it and use it in most games I play now. Ironically, it turns out there's a StarCraft character from one of the books with the same name.

Capital City: I didn't even remember what it was, had to check. No idea where it comes from, probably just a made-up word.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locke: Ender's Game and the historical figure John Locke.

Alestor: Made it up in my head; turns out that Alastor (pronounced similarly) is an actual name though, which I learned...3 days or so after making my nation. -_-

Toria: Again, just putting sounds together in my head.

Bob Janova is a character I used for a pen-and-paper RPG. I use it as my online alias because it's never taken and because, being a plausible name, it's easy to characterise (although different Bobs in different games have different characters).

Seria is a fictional country which I invented for the novel I was beginning to write several years ago. In the book, it is a typical fantasy universe (pre-industrial with magic) but it's easily adapted to modern times (run the history forward). Marrath is the capital city. The history has grown as I tend to create characters for any free RPG I play with a Serian heritage and backstory.

My TE nation name (which changes each round) and capital are regions of Seria, though I'm going to run out soon, and my ruler name is a founder of Seria.

Azhrei - A combination of two words in the Old Tongue of Melanie Rawn's books. Azh'Rei means Dragon Prince, and is a title of affection and awe bestowed on one of the main characters.

Ossetia - Not inspired by the region in Russia, instead it is from the same book series by Melanie Rawn, the Dragon Prince/Dragon Star trilogies.

Ruler Name: Alfred von Tirpitz : (March 19, 1849 – March 6, 1930) was a German Admiral, Secretary of State of the Imperial Naval Office, the powerful administrative branch of the Kaiserliche Marine from 1897 until 1916. He is considered to be the founder of the German Imperial navy.

Fun fact: The battleship "Tirpitz" was sunk here in Norway

Ruler Name: Feanor was a key character from The Silmarillion. He was considered the greatest of the Noldor aswell as the Deep Elves. His name meant Spirit of Fire which summed up the character perfectly. I choose his name because I enjoyed his story even though he had a tragic demise. If there is a Melkor out there in the Cyberverse then TOP is screwed.

Nation Name: The choice of Valinor was a continuation of The Silmarillion theme. It's the home of the Valar and Deep Elves.

Capital City: Formenos was the fortress home of Feanor during his time in Valinor.

Yeah... This is what makes it impossible for me to utterly despise you :(

So, my own... Spider Jerusalem from the Transmetropolitan comics. Not the arachnid and the city.

Edited by SpiderJerusalem

Extraduty (ruler name) - My very first use of it was while deployed in Iraq, I got in trouble for having alcohol and got put on military punishment. Its called extra duty. Had to sweep streets and pick up trash for a few hours a day after work. Anyway we had a pretty epic LAN ran throughout the base and decided to all buy Counter Strike. The game was privates all the way up to a few captains that played. I used extraduty as my tag so everyone knew who I was. I use it for everything online and gaming now cause its never taken and has a nice ring to it.

United Warren (Country)- Lame country, its the city I live in Ohio with United in front.

Bel Air (Capitol) - Only the single greatest alliance of all time.

My nation name is The Krazy Excursion; I made this nation at the urging of a RL friend who was a frat brother of mine. Can you guess what fraternity? TKE.

My ruler name is from the name of a character in a book I wrote.

Capital city is Piercington because I have two lip piercings.

Yea, I'm not very original.

Nation: I named my nation Schloss Eggenberg because it's the only beer I really enjoy, and I happened to be telling my boss about it while we were creating our nations.

Ruler: Since I had a German nation name, I took my nickname and germanized it. People call me Shadowman because I'm always emerging from the shadows, so, Schattenmann.

Capital: I RP Schloss Eggenberg as a small city-state with a few surrounding towns, so the capital is also Schloss Eggenberg.

Thistledown: Comes from a book, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. The villain is never mentioned by the name in the book, but is only referred to as "the gentleman with thistledown hair." I liked the word, liked the character (I suppose that says something about me), I chose the name.

Nation Name: Lost Hope. In the book, it's the land that the gentleman with thistledown hair rules. It also doesn't help that I was feeling distinctly uncheery at the time.

Capital City: Pity Me. In conjunction with the book again, it's another land mentioned, and it fits with the Lost Hope idea.

Love that book!

Ruler Name: Jack Diorno is a name i created when I was younger and didn't like telling people my real name because they always found me on myspace and added me and I never remembered them. I used to go to parties and tell people my name was Jack Diorno and I came from Italy, I even learnt some Italian to convince them. It all went well until I met a real Italian girl, and I was outed, I later changed my fake name to Harry Dixon.

Have you seen the movie Breaking Away?

Edited by Schattenmann

Nation: Euparadeisos - Eu - "true" paradeisos - "paradise". Therefore, "euparadeisos" = True Paradise (in greek)

Ruler Name: Let's see. At my old job, the manager always called me chief, as in "hey, chief, get that tub of ice cream for me". I used to use the word savage like it was going out of style. (Dude, the Yankees are savage ; Diablo II is a savage game. ; I'm a savage at European history ; etc.) Chief Savage sounds kind of stupid to me so I tacked on man to the end.

Capital City: Costa Del Sol is Spanish for Coast of the Sun. I was building off the True Paradise theme in that my capital was a coastal city with nothing but sun and good times. I had just been to San Diego (which I love more than any city in the country besides NYC) and decided to make my capital Spanish, coastal and sunny. Hence, Costa Del Sol.

Ruler: Seipher Caim (I liked the idea of having a first land last name... the first name cam from the Final Fantasy videogame (8th episode) where one of the main charac is named Seifer.. the last name came from the game Drakengard where the heroes name is Caim)

Now I use this name in all the game i play ;)

Nation: Sanngetal (basically, one of the many names of Odin... this one meaning "The Truth-Guesser")... While creating my Nation i was browsing a dictionnary of norse mythological names. Hence the capital city too...

Capital: Hrungnir (an Ice giant in the norse mythology...)

Edited by SeipherCaim

King Death II: I wanted to be a king, so thats where the King is from, the death part is from another game where I used to be called ,killer,death, and the II is just because I wanted to be special

The United America: I wanted my nation to be called The United States of America (lack of imagination lol) and so it didnt fit when creating it so I took out the "States of" part and thats how I got The United America

Ruler Name: Vilien - Sounds vaguely Greco-Roman, came to me out of nowhere. Apparently it's a fairly uncommon Spanish surname.

Nation Name: Seraphea is just the word "seraph" (from seraphim) with some letters tacked on to make it sound more like a nation.

Capital City: Abdiel - Abdiel is a character from Paradise Lost who makes up the basis of my persona. Abdiel was a seraph who argues against Satan before the Fall, despite being among hostile and rebellious angels. Abdiel embodied the concept of the "one right man", and is sometimes believed to have been Milton's representation of himself within the poem.

So spake the Seraph Abdiel faithful found,

Among the faithless, faithful only he,

Among innumerable false, unmoved,

Unshaken, unseduced, unterrified

His loyalty he kept, his love, his zeal;

Nor number, nor example with him wrought

To swerve from truth.

- Book Five, Paradise Lost

I vaguely remember doing this before...but..

NAME

Valtam was one of the names for Odin and and means "Tamer of the dead".

draugr means alternately ghost and tree...

Valtamdraugr could mean "spirit of Odin", or "Odins Tree"... the latter possibly a biological reference... you decide.

NATION

Mjordrika is "mead realm"

CAPITOL

Fjolmennask is Fjol, meaning many...menn or generations and ask, or ash... a tree popularized in the eddas and also the name of the first man. Many sons of ask, the first man.

Ruler: Skippy - I was giving this name back on a game called "Joint Operations" with the mod tournement "International Conflict"

I was originally called "Mayhem," but in that tournement, someone was already called "Mayhem." I put up a thread asking those outside Australia what name they would see best fit my nationality. Skippy of course was most popular and so I stuck with it. It's been my gamer tag for about 4 years now

In case you don't know what Skippy is, here is the real origin of it. Not some American peanut butter <_<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skippy_the_Bush_Kangaroo

Nation: Outback Australia

Australia was taken, Outback Australia came to mind so I went with that

Capital: Uluru - To put it in American terms "The giant rock in the middle of Australia"

Edited by Skippy

Achilleus is the anglicised spelling of the Greek word Akkilleus (a transliteration); when translated into English, it is Achilles.

Mycenae was an ancient empire in Hellas, the second to dominate the Cyclades and the immediate successor of the Cretan empire. It fell at the end of the Greek Dark Age. Although Achilles wasn't born in Mycenae (he was born in Thessaly), he spent his life fighting for that kingdom.

Edited by Achilleus

Name: SirWilliam. My first name is William, so it was something I came up with on a whim. I was expecting to play the game for a few minutes, quit, and forget about it - if I had known I would've stuck with it I probably would've gone with a different name.

Nation: Blissfields. "Ignorance is Bliss" was used as motivation in going with the name. Not much more to it than that. Again, if I knew I was going to stick around I may have put more thought into the name.

Capital: Bliss. Same as above.