Zombie RP

HHAYD

After debating myself about when to start my zombie outbreake RP, I decided to start it on Christmas Eve.

Instead of their brains being hijacked by zombie parasites, the single celled parasites simply invade any cells and grow in them, while releasing large amount of hormones signaling for other hormones that trigger insanely extreme hunger, anger/stress, muscle/bone growth, adrenaline, and etc.

The result? The infected person's brain gets flooded with the hormones and it attempts to balance the homeostasis by releasing its own hormones to counter act the sudden hormone overload, such as stopping the production of adrenaline in the adrenal glands completely. Eventually, the person succumbs to cannibalism, extreme hunger, rage, and violence. The person still retains its memories, but it simply ignores them due to the amount of hormones secreted by the parasites living inside its body, increasing as the parasites reproduce and infect more of the person's cells.

The parasites reproduce by two ways. The first way is by mitosis, allowing it to infect the two new host cells that had also underwent mitosis. The second way is creating a mini copy of themselves in a larva form and eject it out of the host cell. The larvae then actively seeks for a new uninfected body cell to invade and grow.

Types of zombies:

Ordinary: Similar to the previous Insane ones, but if alerted, they go into "lolrage" mode, overload themselves with adrenaline, and sprint toward their meal. They semi-intelligent, knowing how to use melee weapons such as frying pans and bats in their mid-stage of infection. In the first stage of infection, they aren't as strong, but they can use weapons against uninfected. As their infection progresses, they get dumber and dumber while becoming stronger, faster, and even more violent.

Rarely they will use guns in their late stage of infection, since they have to observe someone using a gun and learn that pulling the trigger will somehow injure/kill their meal if aimed correctly. However, even rarer will the zombies learn how to reload guns.

Suicidal: Same as the Ordinary zombies, but the parasites infecting them directly release adrenaline, a lot. They are faster, stronger, and dumber than the ordinary infected. However, they die within 2-3 minutes in rage mode due to deadly lactic acid/carbon dioxide build up and/or heart failure from adrenaline overdose.

Giant: The parasites infecting them directly release large amount muscle/bone growth hormones, resulting in them looking similar to the Tank zombies in L4D and L4D2. They are even less intelligent than the ordinary zombies but are much harder to kill thanks to their massive strength, weight, and density of their muscles and bones.

Basic stages of infection:

Early: Increased hunger, tiredness, and headaches.

Early to middle: Infected person becomes more energetic, violent, has mood swings, and seems to have a bottomless pit stomach.

Middle: Infected person goes insane from the hormone overload and starts killing and eating other people to satisfy its hunger. Still retains its memories and can do whatever he/she could do before being infected, including using guns and operating vehicles.

Middle to late: Infected person becomes stronger, faster, and even more violent rapidly. Eventually begin to ignore some of its memories (they are still there, it’s just that the person won’t recognize them) and becomes less intelligent. However, it can still use melee weapons and alert other zombies by setting off car alarms with punching/kicking/smashing, using fog horns, and etc. For the Giant and Suicidal infected people, they have already “forgotten” how to use melee weapons and how to alert their buddies other than yelling and screaming.

Late: Infected person’s muscle/bone growth slows down but still continues. Eventually won’t recognize any of its memories and has an intelligence level similar to the ordinary zombies in L4D2.

Very late: Infected person will have a strength and size similar to miniature versions of the Tank zombies in L4D. However, it will be even faster and incredibility dumb. For the Giant zombies, they are even stronger and larger than the Tank zombies in L4D, and the Suicidal zombies can cover large distances in a blink of an eye if alerted. The ordinary/suicidal zombies are partially bullet-proof thanks to their incredibility dense and strong bones. 9mm bullets would cause minor bone injuries to them, but head/chest shots would be useless. Higher caliber bullets are needed to kill them in one or two head/middle chest shots. Giant zombies? Small bullets are only going to tickle and enrage them unless if you are using large semi-armor piercing high explosive bullets or plain armor piercing bullets. Explosives, fire, deep water, and any kind of armor piercing shells/rockets are your best bet against them.

Overall time line from early infection to very late: Depending on how much nutrients they obtained (by eating) and what kind of parasites they are carrying (Giant zombies take the longest time). If they had eaten about 3x the amount of nutrition that a person who only needs 2,000 calories, then it would only take about 14 to 42 days for him/her to reach the very late stage of infection.

FQA:

Can they swim? Maybe. Ordinary zombies in middle to late infection can still swim, but they would attempt to doggy paddle if they didn't know how to swim. Suicidal zombies would attempt to run across the water thanks to their thinking process blocking rage. They often die when their bodies can no longer handle the strain. Giant zombies? They would also attempt to doggy paddle if they didn't how to swim.

How do they hunt? Instead of standing around and waiting for a meal to come by, they actively hunt for food due to their insane hunger. If they don't find any food in the area, then they move on. They are smart enough to know if there are food nearby by watching/listening for sudden loud/high pitch noises, sudden strong light, large amount of footsteps, howls/screams/yells, and etc.

Can they be distracted?With loud noises or strong lights (such as a modified timed pipe bomb), but that would attract more zombies. They can be distracted with with as long as they can smell and eat it easily, but the food distraction would end fairly quickly due to their hunger.

Are there treatments or cure? Any medication meant to kill Toxoplasma gondii would work well against the genetically engineered parasites, but the more body cells the parasites had infected, the more medication the infected person needs to be cured. People who are already infected with Toxoplasma gondii would have semi-immunity against the zombie parasites. The parasites would have to compete with Toxoplasma gondii for body cells and the progression of a person's infection is slowed down, depending on how much Toxoplasma gondii concentration there are already in his/her body.

--------------

How this RP will work:

1. GLS gets attacked by zombies while their military is distracted.

2. GLS attempts to mount a counter-attack, which fails when the zombies (most of them in their early to mid stage infection) attacks back using GLS's abandoned military equipment and supplies.

3. Neighboring nations get attacked by the now dumber, stronger, faster, and even more violent zombies while refugees from GLS attempt to seek refuge in those nations.

4. Crap happens, zombies spread.

If you don't want zombie outbreaks in your nation, then you can RP characters trying to survive the zombie outbreak, such as soldiers or civilians.

Edited by HHAYD

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHAYD! Send in the zombies over there!

/points in the direction of Australia

:ph34r:

On a serious note, send in the zombies. Mah soldiers and nukes need some target practice, anyways. :awesome:

Hey, the zombies want meals, ASAP. Nothing better than playing a RL version of L4D2 with panic mode set on constant since the Regular zombies love to attract other zombies when they notice tasty meals. Oh yeah, throw in an ability to the zombies that enable them to use weapons, Humvees, cars, trucks, helicopters, air strikes, artillery shelling, tanks (not zombie ones, armored tracked ones), and etc, resulting in the difficulty level being set above "Expert, Realism". :awesome:

Ok with careful consideration I may rethink my participation in this event, however... the zombies retain their memories? That breaks every single rule in the zombie rulebook.

Yes, but only the Regular and Unknown zombies. Who says there should be zombie rules for zombie RPs?

Edited by HHAYD

I don't want a major, unstoppable zombie outbreak in my nation. Something smaller, limited and reversible might be acceptable, though. :P

That can be done, carpet bombing before it gets out of hand and shoot anything that twitches. If it really gets out of hand, then better fall to a backup plan, Fuel to Air bomb and nuclear carpet bombing.

Edited by HHAYD

Who says there should be zombie rules for zombie RPs?

Well, to be frank, you want this RP to be as realistic as possible so people will accept its canonity.

Zombies are supposed to exhibit extreme... mental symptoms in order to be the violent killing machines they are, right?

Of the top of my head and wikipedia, getting people to act all crazy and violent in ways would require things that affect your brain in the zombie virus or disease, including deterioration of the parts of the brain that facilitate higher level functions, leaving only the more animalistic parts functioning. Problem is, when this happens, there goes your memories and stuff... I think.

Well, to be frank, you want this RP to be as realistic as possible so people will accept its canonity.

Zombies are supposed to exhibit extreme... mental symptoms in order to be the violent killing machines they are, right?

Of the top of my head and wikipedia, getting people to act all crazy and violent in ways would require things that affect your brain in the zombie virus or disease, including deterioration of the parts of the brain that facilitate higher level functions, leaving only the more animalistic parts functioning. Problem is, when this happens, there goes your memories and stuff... I think.

Here is a protozoa that can slightly hijack humans' brains while retaining their memories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

Toxoplasma Gondii also forces two types of their victims, mouse and rats, to be attracted to cats' urine and run straight toward the cats while ignoring their natural fear of cats. However, the rodents will still act normally, such as eating, reproduction, socializing, etc. Only one part of their mental function was affected, natural fear. For humans, they will behave differently, some might not realize they have been infected at all.

Here is a protozoa that can slightly hijack humans' brains while retaining their memories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

Toxoplasma Gondii also forces two types of their victims, mouse and rats, to be attracted to cats' urine and run straight toward the cats while ignoring their natural fear of cats. However, the rodents will still act normally, such as eating, reproduction, socializing, etc. Only one part of their mental function was affected, natural fear. For humans, they will behave differently, some might not realize they have been infected at all.

So in other words, they're not stereotypical Dawn of the Dead 'zombies', nor 28 Days later 'infected' I take it?

Edited by Executive Minister

So in other words, they're not stereotypical Dawn of the Dead 'zombies', nor 28 Days later 'infected' I take it?

Yep, keep in mind that the zombie parasites were genetically engineered by a group, but they managed to escape and infect people outside of the group's facility though force.

Edited by HHAYD

Yep, keep in mind that the zombie parasites were genetically engineered by a group, but they managed to escape and infect people outside of the group's facility though force.

How do these parasites reproduce? How do the 'zombified' have a collective goal, aka how to the pilot zombies know what to hit with their vehicles/planes?

These are problems that spring up if you insist the zombies have intelligence. A mindless horde is a little more believable.

Edited by Executive Minister

How do these parasites reproduce? How do the 'zombified' have a collective goal, aka how to the pilot zombies know what to hit with their vehicles/planes?

These are problems that spring up if you insist the zombies have intelligence. A mindless horde is a little more believable.

Mitosis, that is how they reproduce. The extra parasites would either sit around in the brain or find a way to get back into the blood vessel (except for the Unknown parasites, they lack the ability to drill back into the blood vessels).

Their collective goal? Attack wherever there lots of uninfected people are located, or whoever is attacking them. I forgot to mention that they also communicate to each other differently than uninfected people would using their extremely limited genetically coded language (compared to other languages, it would be similar to 1st grade level of their language before being infected).

Besides, many of them wouldn't participate in the invasion of other nations. If a Regular zombie sees a meal close by and a loaded shotgun lying next to them, then it will pick up the shotgun and mow down the meal. If it hears a car alarm going off and a baseball bat is lying close by, then it will pick up the bat and run off to the location of the car alarm. If it knows how to operate a RPG and there is an enemy APC rumbling around shooting its zombie buddies, then you get the point.

Edited by HHAYD

I have to say, personally, with everything I've read about zombies (how it could happen, etc), almost all of it focuses on their more animalistic tendencies. The biggest difference between zombies and humans is the inability to realize what they are doing. Zombies are driven completly by instinct, not by a strong mental control or prowess. For instance, in the L4D series, it is a mutated rabies virus that infects people and causes them to act like they do. That is actually one of the most realistic scenarios out there, rather than this whole "keeping memories" and such.

After reading more into this (I had skipped over the OP earlier), the realism quotient will have to be upped for me to recognize this as canon in my nation. It'll still happen regardless, but without the realism upped a bit (a.k.a. more like traditional, accepted zombie traits/rules) it just won't be canon with me.

I have to say, personally, with everything I've read about zombies (how it could happen, etc), almost all of it focuses on their more animalistic tendencies. The biggest difference between zombies and humans is the inability to realize what they are doing. Zombies are driven completly by instinct, not by a strong mental control or prowess. For instance, in the L4D series, it is a mutated rabies virus that infects people and causes them to act like they do. That is actually one of the most realistic scenarios out there, rather than this whole "keeping memories" and such.

After reading more into this (I had skipped over the OP earlier), the realism quotient will have to be upped for me to recognize this as canon in my nation. It'll still happen regardless, but without the realism upped a bit (a.k.a. more like traditional, accepted zombie traits/rules) it just won't be canon with me.

In L4D2, the special infected zombies' AI is coded in a way to allow the special infected to have teamwork and ambush at the right place and time. I have frequently seen in videos where someone would run to the safe house alone, and get slaughtered inside the room by a special zombie hiding in there, or when the special infected would frequently attack in coordination. Spitter forces the team apart with the damaging goo, Jockey rides a survivor into a Witch or the goo. If a tank shows up, then the jockey would ride the survivor into the tank.

To me, I see two type of zombies. One that act purely on instinct, another one that hasn't been written into books or movies that could be zombie.

It isn't mutated Rabies that will infect the people, it is genetically engineered parasites with genetic parts from Toxoplasma Gondii. The brain cells aren't being infected, they are being used as hosts for the parasite cells as a food source and the parasites control the brain with their own emitted neurotransmitters.

Keep in mind that mice/rats infected with Toxoplasma Gondii don't go completely insane and run around, instead, they act normally until they smell/see a cat. Since their natural fear of cats are replaced with a natural love for cats, they run up to the cats and get eaten. There were research that stated that mice infected with Toxoplasma Gondii became sexually "excited" when they smell or see cats.

Now try replacing the genetic code for the replacement of mice's/rats' natural fear of cats in Toxoplasma Gondii with one that makes them aggressive to cats, rodents, humans, practically anything that is an animal with parts of a Rabies virus's RNA. Then modify the Toxoplasma Gondii parasites' DNA so they have more control over humans without completely erasing their memories and can infect other humans via body fluid. After that, mutate the modified Toxoplasma Gondii again so you get different varieties of them.

Edited by HHAYD