Elections in Aphrike Somalia

Sargun II

Governor Elections

The Governor of Aphrike Somalia will control the majority of internal political power within the protectorate. He or she heads all of the departments and has the final word over what goes on. Has control of a police force and any civilian militia. Control over any state-sponsored press and control over the development of Somalia.

General Elections

The General of Aphrike Somalia will control the majority of military power within the protectorate. He or she heads all of the military branches and has the final say on all orders. Has control of every state military force. Control over the interrogation and investigations of colonial abuse.

Secretary of State Elections

The Secretary of State of Aphrike Somalia will control the majority of diplomatic and external political power within the protectorate. He or she heads all of the diplomatic proceedings and has the final say on all external dealings. Has control of all diplomats. Control over broadcasts in and out of the protectorate.

//OOC: anybody can post now

Edited by Sargun

Newly Elected Governor of Somalia - Junio Vincetta, Italian Fascist

While not receiving the popular vote, under the rule of the vote whoever receives the most votes wins. There is no runoff. While the Fascist Party still has a strong foothold in Somalia, many see the slim margin of victory as a portent of struggle with the populace.

Newly Elected General of Somalia - Lucas Perry, Aphrike-selected Delegate

Lucas Perry, the Aphrike-selected delegate, won an extremely slim victory over the more conservative-oriented General Shayla Hakti. General Lucas Perry and Governor Junio Vincetta are expected to spar over many issues.

Newly Elected Secretary of State of Somalia - Juli Peaceheart, Isolationist Secretary

Juli Peaceheart, sister of the former King of the Old Republic, took refuge in Somalia after the fall of the nation. She has decided to head the movement for Somalian diplomatic isolationism, creating a trifecta of polar opposites in the election.

Statement of the League Regarding the Somalian Elections

The League would like to congratulate the people of Somalia and the members of the Aphrike Treaty on the successful conclusion of the first free and fair elections in Somalia in years. The people have spoken and elected a government they can call their own, we wish this government the best of luck in the future.

-Hossein Al-Hussein

League Director of Foreign Affairs

They invaded a nation for being fascist, hold elections... And now it's still fascist?

In the words of my son, this has serious lulz

~ Father of a Zargathian random blogger

Um, the Somalia Italianna was never invaded for being fascist. The UMS declared war on it because of its colonial ways. You are clearly mistaken with the crisis in Italica.

Um, the Somalia Italianna was never invaded for being fascist. The UMS declared war on it because of its colonial ways. You are clearly mistaken with the crisis in Italica.

Ah true, though the similarities are certainly noteworthy. I assume this democratically elected fascist government will be accepted by the Aphrike Coalition, unlike its predecessor? ~ Father of a Zargathian blogger

Edited by Amyante

The Somalian people claimed they were better off under Fascism and apparently this is their way of getting back at the occupation authorities since they cannot do so militarily

I am sure they would say otherwise now, when they do not need to fear the Italian government's...response.

I am sure they would say otherwise now, when they do not need to fear the Italian government's...response.

Its interesting, as the Somalian people have said that they like being under a fascist governing style, and have said it, even without any fear of Italian response at all as the Aphrikans drove the Italians away.

Edited by Executive Minister

The Somalian people claimed they were better off under Fascism and apparently this is their way of getting back at the occupation authorities since they cannot do so militarily

I am afraid I must disagree with this characterization of the elections. The fascist candidate received at most 40% of the vote and came very close to being tied with the 2nd and 3rd place candidates. The fact that the fascist candidate did not sweep to victory, or garner the support of a majority of teh voters, shows that the Somalian people were far from happy under fascist rule.n

Its interesting, as the Somalian people have said that they like being under a fascist governing style, and have said it, even without any fear of Italian response at all as the Aphrikans drove the Italians away.

I do not recall the majority of Somalia ever saying, under Aphrike jurisdiction, that they enjoyed Fascism.

I am afraid I must disagree with this characterization of the elections. The fascist candidate received at most 40% of the vote and came very close to being tied with the 2nd and 3rd place candidates. The fact that the fascist candidate did not sweep to victory, or garner the support of a majority of teh voters, shows that the Somalian people were far from happy under fascist rule.n

"A majority is a majority. Playing down 1st place by saying they 'came very close to being tied with the 2nd and 3rd' doesn't make them any less the winners of the election."

"To Mandalore: To some, politics is about choosing whom you like best, to others choosing whom you dislike the least. Therefore, if the people disliked fascism as much as you imply, yet the fascists still received the majority vote... Then we conclude that the Somalians apparently dislike Aphrikan delegates more than fascists. And, truth be said, the isolationist policy's victory seems to support this theory."

"A majority is a majority. Playing down 1st place by saying they 'came very close to being tied with the 2nd and 3rd' doesn't make them any less the winners of the election."

I am not saying that the fascists are not the winners, indeed they are and I do not mean to disparage the duly elected government of Somalia. The point I am trying to make is that this election cannot be taken as an endorsement of fascist ideologies when a majority of voters voted against the fascist candidate. Support from 40% of the electorate is a plurality of the votes, not a majority of the votes which is 50% of the electorate, and the fascist candidate only received around 40% of the vote by the estimates of our election observers.

-Hossein Al-Hussein

I am not saying that the fascists are not the winners, indeed they are and I do not mean to disparage the duly elected government of Somalia. The point I am trying to make is that this election cannot be taken as an endorsement of fascist ideologies when a majority of voters voted against the fascist candidate. Support from 40% of the electorate is a plurality of the votes, not a majority of the votes which is 50% of the electorate, and the fascist candidate only received around 40% of the vote by the estimates of our election observers.

-Hossein Al-Hussein

"I understood your point. The problem with such a comparison however is that if you claim the 40% vote for the fascists equals a 60% vote against them, then it would likewise be implying that some 70% on average voted against the other two candidates. In every election there is but a small percentage of the electorate that strongly opposes the views of another party, and unless a vote would be held asking which ideology Somalians would dislike the most (with 'None of the Above' as an option) there is no true way of finding out how many among the population truly reject Fascist ideologies."

"I understood your point. The problem with such a comparison however is that if you claim the 40% vote for the fascists equals a 60% vote against them, then it would likewise be implying that some 70% on average voted against the other two candidates. In every election there is but a small percentage of the electorate that strongly opposes the views of another party, and unless a vote would be held asking which ideology Somalians would dislike the most (with 'None of the Above' as an option) there is no true way of finding out how many among the population truly reject Fascist ideologies."

You make a fair point and there is really only so much we can determine based on the limited electoral data available to us. As outside observers we are hard pressed to make any solidly supported conclusions about the desires of the Somali people, especially seeing as they elected three ideologically opposed people to the three major governing offices. However, if the Somali people were enthralled with the fascist system as some have previously claimed then I think we can agree that the fascist candidates would have garnered more votes. Perhaps I misspoke earlier, 60% of the population did not necessarily vote against the fascist candidate, but they certainly did not like fascism enough to vote for the fascist candidate.

-Hossein Al-Hussein

Italy seems to be under the impression that the elections were fair - they were not, and the Italian Fascist Governor in league with Zargathians organized massive voting fraud. Somalians voted 5-1 against the Fascist Governor in followup votes before they were canceled due to the arrest of the Governor and the announcement of fraud.

Edited by Sargun

Italy seems to be under the impression that the elections were fair - they were not, and the Italian Fascist Governor in league with Zargathians organized massive voting fraud. Somalians voted 5-1 against the Fascist Governor in followup votes before they were canceled due to the arrest of the Governor and the announcement of fraud.

You can't teach us how to fool the international community, Italy was fascist less than 2 months ago, and we used these methods in smear campaigns against our opponents. Saying the Italian Fascist candidate organized fraud elections, is a good tactic to make the International Community think Italy still retains some kind of influence on the region.

Edited by Junio Borghese

You can't teach us how to fool the international community, Italy was fascist less than 2 months ago, and we used these methods in smear campaigns against our opponents. Saying the Italian Fascist candidate organized fraud elections, is a good tactic to make the International Community think Italy still retains some kind of influence on the region.

The country organizing and supporting the election fraud has confessed and apologized.

"Oh, look, Italy is displeased. If you wanted to maintain fascist control of Somalia, you should have sucked it up and fought the war, you pansies. Don't whine about how the Somali people don't want to live in fear of their doors being broke down and being dragged off in the middle of the night by your police."

-Royal Adviser Dan Donegan

The fact that the fascist candidate did not sweep to victory, or garner the support of a majority of teh voters, shows that the Somalian people were far from happy under fascist rule.

In most democratic multi-party elections, any candidate or party which gets 40% of the vote would be considered a clear-cut front runner - and not an election rout. Look at the recent Transvaler elecions where the prime minister was re-elected with 35% of the popular vote. The fact that the fascists in Somalia did garner as much as 40% shows that a large minority of Somali did actually support the previous regime.

While our government is critical of Carthagenian intentions and their occupation, we do acknowledge that at least they had the balls to accept the results.