Meeting in Singapore

iKrolm

Antonio Pilar, First Director of the Selenarctan Economic Division, was in Singapore to oversee the election of a provisional government and naturally, he was chosen to represent Selenarctos at the meeting to discuss the construction of a tunnel from Sumatra to Sinapore.

He was waved through the Provisional Government Headquarter building's security and arrived at the designated conference room with plenty of time to spare. He passed the time until the other representatives arrived by reviewing a report on the decrease in crime since the entrance of Selenarctan troops into Singapore.

Amyante arrived by helicopter from the AUP-held Riau Islands around fifteen minutes before the meeting was scheduled to take place. Though it was a bit odd for the Queen to be present during economic negotiations, Zargathia had strong ties to Singapore for having played a large part in its reconstruction, most of the materials having come from her own nation, and she wanted to see for herself how Singapore was faring lately.

With her were her translator Larissa Orlov, and Reino Hilmarsson, CEO of Singacorp after its acquisition by Zargathia. Though it felt somewhat odd for him to conduct negotiations for Singacorp, overall he didn't feel bothered by it. It was an opportunity that had come along, one that he could profit from as a businessman, and he hadn't gotten to where he was now by not cashing in on them when they came along.

Antonio Pilar shook Amyante and Reino Hilmarsson's hands warmly as they arrived.

"Welcome to Singapore and the headquarters of the Provisional Government. We can get this meeting started just as soon as the representatives from Minilla Island arrive."

To Amyante, "I hope Singapore's met with your approval, we've put a lot of work into cleaning up the central areas after Singacorp's construction projects began to falter near the end."

Amyante looked around more as a general reaction that anything else as Antonio brought up the construction work in Singapore, though the only real view of the city was that of its skyline from the window. From the looks of it however, quite a few lights were on, from which she concluded that the city was definitely alive. As the Selenarctos representative had said, construction projects had been mostly finished, with all but the finishing touches having been completed.

- "It certainly has. It's a shame i could not have kept a better eye on Singapore, but with two of my neighboring countries having been attacked by nuclear weaponry my attention was understandably aimed elsewhere. How are things going economically for Singapore? The last report i heard was of schools having been built."

The schools, she knew, had been named after her at the time in gratitude by the Singacorp government. Though she would not refer to them directly in order to avoid hinting at a possible claim of the area -- such matters had been discussed already! -- she would still be wondering about them. Either way, Reino remained quiet for the moment, running through some scenarios in his mind while pretending to listen to the conversation. And after years of being a CEO listening to the Board of Directors' drivel, he had gotten quite good at it.

"I entirely understand, large portions of the latest Security Division briefings have been devoted to the situation in Furon. Truly horrific, some of the reports coming out of there... But back to the matter at hand: economically, I'm afraid things weren't going so well near the end of Singacorp's rule. As a Corporatocracy, Singacorp's share price and the strength of their economy were heavily linked and when the first fell, the economy went with it. We're seeing some very positive signs though, and I'm quite optimistic for a complete recovery: schools are in session, the hospitals are back open, the Port of Singapore is rapidly approaching full capacity again and as soon as the Inter-Asian Rail link is completed, we expect demand may in fact exceed the port's capacity," Pilar answered, completely missing that the schools were named after the very person he was talking to.

Amyante took a relieved breath before turning to Reino for a closer explanation, given that according to her figures the Zargathian branch had been raking in money by the boatloads due to the Zargathian Railway contract having been awarded to them. Reino nodded in confirmation of what Antonio was saying, knowing it to be backed up by the same graphs he had seen as an insider to Singacorp's workings.

R - "While the Inter-Asian Railway and Zargathian National Lines had brought in a large amount of revenue for Singacorp, the majority of money was funneled into expensive parties and PR projects to lure more people into Singapore. By the time the city became profitable Singacorp was already up to its neck in debt, and the completion of the Zargathian National Railway ended up being the proverbial executioner's axe. The only reason construction wasn't halted right then was because most projects had been paid for several months in advance, allowing the Board to keep up the image. You know the rest."

Amyante then turned to Antonio, explaining how Zargathia would be fitting into the picture.

A - "Since Singacorp was purchased by the state of Zargathia it is by default a nationalized corporation now. Still, we share your expectations of Singapore, and with a few necessities i'm sure we can come to a profitable agreement for all of us... Come to think of it, has the Minilla delegation arrived yet?"

Edited by Amyante

OOC: He posted last night, but apparently missed this thread and didn't read the AUP thread for the link... I PM'd him.

Also, I RP'd Singacorp as broke after I took possession, hence breaking it up and selling the parts, but it's yours now though so you can do whatever you want with it.

IC:

"Not yet, and there's no word on the reason for the delay either," Pilar said, checking his phone. Pressing the conference room's intercom button, he instructed the secretary on the other end, "See if you can find out where the Minilla Island delegation's got to." To Amyante, "Hopefully they'll be here shortly or else I'll have to send the Ground Force to round them up," he said with a laugh.

OOC: Sorry guys. I missed the post.

IC: Finance Minister, Peter Koehler and Director of the Trans-Island MotorRailway Authority, Kevin Ianelli, arrive in Singapore after a rough flight. The flight was delayed in Minya due to the last rain blanket of the season. So, four hours late, the delegation heads off to the hotel. FiM Koehler calls Sr. Pilar of Selenarctos.

"Good evening, Sr. Pilar, we are sorry for the delay. Our delegation is in the Palace Hotel, and we had a rough flight. We have brought plans with us for the tunnel package, and we are prepared to deal. Just tell us where the meeting will take place, and after we freshen up a bit, we will meet you there. Just a question, has anyone contacted reps from Acca Dacca?

"Welcome to Singapore and not to worry: the weather's one thing none of us can change. The meeting will take place Provisional Government Headquarters, I'll have a car sent over to pick you up shortly and we can begin as soon as you arrive," Pilar replied on the conference room's speaker phone.

OOC: Didn't know you wanted Acca Dacca at this meeting, but the link from Trans-Asian Rail link to Singpore's almost completed right now.

"Welcome to Singapore and not to worry: the weather's one thing none of us can change. The meeting will take place Provisional Government Headquarters, I'll have a car sent over to pick you up shortly and we can begin as soon as you arrive," Pilar replied on the conference room's speaker phone.

OOC: Didn't know you wanted Acca Dacca at this meeting, but the link from Trans-Asian Rail link to Singpore's almost completed right now.

OOC: OK, NP

IC: That will be fine, sir. Once we get this settled, we can all start counting the money.

OOC: He posted last night, but apparently missed this thread and didn't read the AUP thread for the link... I PM'd him.

Also, I RP'd Singacorp as broke after I took possession, hence breaking it up and selling the parts, but it's yours now though so you can do whatever you want with it.

IC:

"Not yet, and there's no word on the reason for the delay either," Pilar said, checking his phone. Pressing the conference room's intercom button, he instructed the secretary on the other end, "See if you can find out where the Minilla Island delegation's got to." To Amyante, "Hopefully they'll be here shortly or else I'll have to send the Ground Force to round them up," he said with a laugh.

OOC: Yup, they've been holding up the facade, but by the time you stepped in they were pretty much dead broke. After i bought it i simply put all the pieces back again, only based in Zargathia as the Corporate HQ was already there, and will be promoting Reino to Director-General after this meeting.

IC:

Amyante nodded, wondering what could be taking them this long. They were rather punctual when it came to AUP meetings, and she wondered what could have gone wrong for them to be this late. As the phone rang, she heard from listening to the conversation that the Minilla delegation had just called, causing her to feel somewhat relieved. Come to think oif it, she had heard weather was pretty bad in Minilla at the moment, but she hadn't recalled it at first due to not making a habit of memorizing the weather reports. Come to think of it...

- "Ah, one moment please."

She walked over to the door to leave the room, but before she closed it behind her turned around, looking over her shoulder to Antonio for a second.

- "...Bathroom's still the third door to the right?"

Koehler and Ianelli arrive in the conference room with their prospective staffers. They are carrying laptops, laser pointers, blueprints and other assorted paperwork. They all have cups of joe from the local coffee bar, as this was going to be a long session.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlmen. Sorry for the lateness, but the weather has been hell on the Main Island. What is supposed to be the Dry Season has been incredibly not. So, let's get down to the business at hand, shall we?"

Reino greeted the Minilla delegation, in the meantime keeping an eye open for his Queen that had coincidentally stepped out of the room a moment ago. When she returned, she greeted the Minilla representatives as well and got seated. Coffee was served, and the meeting could begin in earnest.

Amyante nodded, and Reino folded his hands as he waited for the Minillans to elaborate on their plans, objectives and more importantly how much this was all going to cost everyone in the end. He had prepared as much as he could, but it would be up to Minilla to provide the next step: Stating what they actually wanted.

Koehler listens intently to the Zargathian delegation, and then hands out the folders which have the plans for the MotoRailway.

"Well, what we are proposing is a twin-tube system that will connect Sumatra to Singapore, as you can plainly see in the graph given to you:

JSSeaTunnel-1.jpg

"As you can plainly see, the proposal allows for maximum traffic flow between our two countries. As was previously stated by the former Singaporean Government, the feasibility study was done already. This tunnel system would allow both nations to benefit economically from this tunnel. One link would connect Singapore to a route that would go over the currently forming Sunda Strait Bridge to Jet Jaguar. The other would go into Central Sumatra. Our Government is prepared to go through with this, and is willing to pay greatly to do this. We are willing to finance the participation of Zargathia and Selenarctos, as well as the current Singaporean regime." Koehler states.

Amyante listened to Minilla fold out the plans for the tunnel, blinking in surprise as they extended their offer for financial support... Somewhere, something had just got terribly wrong, which led to even more confusion as the maps and... pretty much everything else about the plan would have undoubtedly prevented the misunderstanding that had somehow slipped in. Taking a deep breath, the Queen leaned forward, folding her hands as she rested them on the table.

- "While it is kind of Minilla to offer to finance Zargathian participation... we are wondering why we are being made this offer. The prospected tunnels would reside nowhere near Zargathian territory; in fact, our part lies in negotiating the financing of this project with a national loan to Selenarctos and, if possible, see if an arrangement can be made with Minilla concerning the tunnels themselves."

"we understand the concerns that both of you have." Koehler states. "This will benefit all three of us as Zargathia currently holds the majority, or at least seeking the majority of the old Singapore Corporation. Selenarctos is curently in control of the City-State of Singapore. This project will benefit all three of our nations, as well as the City-State of Singapore. Basically, our Finance Ministry crunched the numbers, we are looking at a liberal estimate of MI$22 to 26 Billion over five years. What we are willing to do is to set up a for-benefit corporation that will collect tolls and fees for the tunnel's usage by motor traffic, and a surcharge on trains using iit. This will pay off the long-term interest and repairs for the corridor. Notice, that we are not asking you to finance the connector to the Sunda Strait Bridge."

Koehler takes a sip of cofffee as Ianelli looks on. "Our Government will be willing to lay out the money, which will include loaning the entire 20% share for the shareholder and government, which will be a 60-20-20 split. In other words, Minilla Island would put in 60, The Corporation would put in 20, and the Government would put in 20. However, knowing that both are having financial troubles, our Government would be willing to loan the entire 20 percent to each at 9% APR, which would be taken out out of the profits the tolls would provide. That does not mean you would receive nothing. The for-benefit corporation would split the money in the 60-20-20 split with the loan paid from the twenty. Does this make it more simple?"

R - "...I feel there remains a small misunderstanding at this point."

Reino leaned back in his seat a bit, tapping his index finger with his thumb the way he usually did when he was thinking about how to correctly phrase bringing something up.

R - "Singacorp, excluding the branches concerning governmental control of Singapore and shipping rights in the Singaporian harbor, was bought entirely by the nation of Zargathia. As such, Zargathia has become the sole proprietor of the company i represent, in turn signifying that we need to request permission for every major expenditure. That is the reason Her Majesty the Queen decided to join these talks as chief representative of the Zargathian government. In turn, it means that we do not have a lack of funds due to every expenditure being fully government funded. We hope this would assist in clarifying our position further."

"So the funds to pay back Singapore's 20% plus interest come exclusively from Singapore's portion of tunnel's profits?"

"While this deal is certainly attractive to mee, I must discuss the matter with representatives of the Provisional Government before omitting Singapore to MI$5.2 billion of debt. In the mean time, Junji Tabuena and Leandro Brocka will be taking my place to discuss engineering and zoning aspects."

Edited by iKrolm

A - "On that note. Reino, if you'd please..."

Nodding to Amyante, Reino laid out the plan the Zargathians had had in mind themselves.

R - "As you all probably know, Zargathia is a producer of construction materials. Wood, rubber, steel, asphalt... We all produce these ourselves, so we are able to similarly get these resources at virtually base cost, allowing the offered price to be comparably lower as well. After its purchase, Singacorp is being turned into a construction company, as we already own all necessary equipment and a fair amount of expertise from our reconstruction projects in Singapore."

He turned to Amyante, letting her know it was her turn to speak. While he would have been perfectly able to lay out the plans himself, protocol said she was the one in charge of the financial picture, and subsequently any negotiating on that aspect would have to be on her authority.

A - "As a person, i dislike being in debt, a policy i have projected upon Zargathia since the moment of its creation. Therefore, i offer the following. Zargathia is willing to loan the entire sum as is required to Minilla and Selenarctos as a low variable interest loan of two percent over annual inflation rates, on the condition that Singacorp receives the contract for its construction. As mr. Hilmarsson mentioned, all machinery is included in the company inventory, all materials can be purchased as close to base cost as is possible and we have some tunnelers from constructing the Inter-Asian Railway that would be necessary for this project as well."

In the meantime, Reino had opened his briefcase to take out some financial plans, which he slid over to the various representatives present.

R - "We estimate the total cost of this project to fall between seventeen to nineteen billion Minillan currency with a fifteen percent error margin. Optional maintenance clauses are not included in this figure, and neither are any special requirements your nations might have. Any such requirements are, of course, perfectly flexible, technically even allowing for completely transparent tunnel tubes. The price would of course be astronomical... but it's an option."

Edited by Amyante