Doing It Better Than Jack - OOC

ChairmanHal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine.

All I have to say on the matter is that any player seeking to have me push IC actions against another player for OOC activities needs to be able to present valid evidence of those OOC activities to me before expecting anything in return.

I am not going to eject a player from my alliance for posting something that was evidently public knowledge on !@#$%*.

[ooc]

If your system was actually "hacked" then I'm truly sorry that your system was compromised, it sucks that people need to take malicious action against others for whatever reason and as a working in the computer security field I know how troubling and violating it can feel for ones personal information to be taken as a result of system compromises.

[/ooc]

That being said playing the victim card is not going to get you very far here. Your alliance has a long history of taking actions that have caused people to be estranged from their friends and communities.

Hacking a computer is hacking, period. It is out of bounds in terms of the game. That someone would hack a computer to gain an advantage in this game is sad and pathetic, whoever is responsible.

I'm dumbfounded at the thought of someone actually going into his computer and leaving software just to capture logs from one random irc query (that isn't even that good) and then post them up.

If it was a hacker he's utterly retarded for the fact that he couldn't wait to get something more important or didn't pick something else. Just this simple line of thought is forcing me to conclude that this "keylogger" that he found on his system wasn't the one that was made to access his logs or keystrokes on irc (would someone really search everything for "IRC"?.

I don't know, this whole scenario is just really hard to believe to be honest.

Hacking a computer is hacking, period. It is out of bounds in terms of the game. That someone would hack a computer to gain an advantage in this game is sad and pathetic, whoever is responsible.

I agree with you but as of yet there has been no proof of any such thing occurring.

All I have to say on the matter is that any player seeking to have me push IC actions against another player for OOC activities needs to be able to present valid evidence of those OOC activities to me before expecting anything in return.

I am not going to eject a player from my alliance for posting something that was evidently public knowledge on !@#$%*.

A sound policy.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

The idea that hacking activity severe enough to include screen shot capability could only bring us mildly amusing logs, containing only verification of what many people had already been guessing, is an insult to the intelligence of everybody on this forum. I'm willing to believe that somebody is dumb enough to risk themselves in a hacking attempt over this game but the idea that they're smart enough to pull it off, not get anything good and recklessly expose themselves to litigation/arrest at the same time just doesn't add up.

The idea that hacking activity severe enough to include screen shot capability could only bring us mildly amusing logs, containing only verification of what many people had already been guessing, is an insult to the intelligence of everybody on this forum. I'm willing to believe that somebody is dumb enough to risk themselves in a hacking attempt over this game but the idea that they're smart enough to pull it off, not get anything good and recklessly expose themselves to litigation/arrest at the same time just doesn't add up.

This is more or less my opinion, that whole thing was weak.

As far as I can tell, there is no proof that the computer was hacked. Right?

There was a conversation that was (for some reason) posted to !@#$%*. That conversation has subsequently been deleted.

The only question is; who posted the logs on !@#$%*? If you discount the *yawn* key logging explanation then we end up with...

The conversation took place not in a query, but in a channel. A third person posted the logs to !@#$%*. This is highly unlikely. Why would the NPO be upset about released logs of they already knew about them? Furthermore, both Umbrae and Loucifer are intelligent enough people to not discuss that sort of thing in a channel.

Or, this conversation was known only to Umbrae or Loucifer and one of them posted it. We have been told that Coldfront IRCops cannot view queries. Taking this as true, then only two people could have had those logs, and only they could have posted them to !@#$%*.

So I ask this- have Loucifer or Umbrae leaked this conversation intentionally to voice their discontent with the NPO? Or do they habitually post all of their queries to !@#$%*?

Or some of you might realize the hacking wasn't related to CN, and that's why that was the only CN thing that was on there from him. No one ever said that Lonelyman was the one being accused of it. He probably found it on !@#$%*. I'm not going into the rest of what was taken, as it has nothing to do with CN, and everything to do with Lou's personal life.

Or some of you might realize the hacking wasn't related to CN, and that's why that was the only CN thing that was on there from him. No one ever said that Lonelyman was the one being accused of it. He probably found it on !@#$%*. I'm not going into the rest of what was taken, as it has nothing to do with CN, and everything to do with Lou's personal life.

If it has nothing to do with CN then it shouldn't have ever been brought up.

As for hackers completely outside of CN bothering to type up screen shots from a game they're not involved in and posting them on !@#$%* for somebody to find, that's a little hard to swallow. Unless I'm missing something obvious that will suddenly click the puzzle pieces into order.

Edited by PhysicsJunky

then it shouldn't have been brought up in the first place, you guys are the ones who opened this can of worms.

If it has nothing to do with CN then it shouldn't have ever been brought up.

As for hackers completely outside of CN bothering to type up screen shots from a game they're not involved in and posting them on !@#$%* for somebody to find, that's a little hard to swallow. Unless I'm missing something obvious that will suddenly click the puzzle pieces into order.

Are you saying you didn't read the latest 2600 with the SS posted on the back page?

While this does make it all make sense, it's still kinda hard to believe, especially with all the coincidences involved. The thing I have a hardest time believe, is if it was a hacker (whether it be someone from CN, someone from his personal life, or just some random hacker) then why would they post it all up on !@#$%* and risk getting caught? If they have the know how on hacking, they should know better then posting it on a public domain like !@#$%*. I mean, I don't know a lot about the !@#$%* site, but this should still make sense here.

Or perhaps the reason I'm not linking to other things was because everything else is his personal stuff, and not related to CN. This one just happened to get mixed in.

Best that none of it be brought up with out the willingness to provide proof as requested for justification. Falls into hear-say which amounts to nothing in the end.