Tabloid Tribune #152 | Now Externally Focused!

Sir Paul

The Tabloid Tribune

One Step Ahead of the Truth

Since September 2003

Issue #152 - World Edition | Pacifican Edition

A New Direction for the Tribune

ttcrowdscreen.png

Pacificans gathered for Cortath's Order of the Day

Francograd Media District: For six years and 151 editions, the Tabloid Tribune has always been dedicated to keeping the Citizens of the New Pacific Order one step ahead of the truth. However, the world has changed, and as Pacifica has moved from the ruling party of Bob to the shadow government, this publication will also shift focus and evolve. We will still continue to cover Pacifican political and cultural events, but expect coverage of the Red Team, the former karma coalition, neutrals and planet-wide events. We'll also be featuring guest articles from prominent non-Pacificans. In short, the world has grown, and this publication will grow with it. I hope you will come along for the ride.

Hawk_11, Imperial Officer of Media Affairs

The Tabloid Tribune - One Step Ahead of the Truth

Proudly Part of PNN

My View: Karma Doctrine Replaces Moldavi Doctrine

reddawnhq.jpg

Construction of the Red Dawn Treaty Organization Headquarters has been stalled due to the Karma Embargo

Schattenmann, Cult of Justicia: Politics can be said to be the process of deciding who gets what. The issue at hand is purely political: Why will Karma not allow NPO to fully join Red Dawn? Sparing you all what amounts to micro-AA drama (which is always retarded on a grand scale), suffice it to say that Red Dawn is the station wagon we all knew we were going to buy while we were shopping around on the Jaguar lot—a NAP, a trade forum, a tech center, vote-sharing. No MDP, no goofy matching sigs, no special masks on everyone else’s forums. From the beginning, it was clear to anyone who can separate economics from politics that 6 alliances with a grand total of 100 nations between them were not going to be doing a lot of successful trading between themselves. We weren’t going to be electing many Senators with less than half the votes of the third-place candidate, either. To those same economically-minded people, the answer to those shortcomings was obvious: Make your unity treaty unifying, include NPO.

To Red alliances looking to succeed on Red, the 600 Pacifican nations with their 1200 resources are the means by which our own applicants and members can be transitioned to Red. Similarly, NPO’s own internal trade woes are well-known, and the growth potential of Red Dawn is NPO’s means to diversify. Far from effecting sly schemes to create a new sphere of influence, it becomes NPO’s decision to give up certain things in exchange for access to a growing, changing Red. In the end, new Red AAs gain from access to NPO’s electorate, traders, and (eventually) tech-buyers and exposure to Pacifica’s maturity, while NPO gains from an increasing pool of traders and a new, largely-sympathetic diplomatic front.

But, NPO’s actions—joining or not—are not presently subject to NPO’s internal decision-making processes.

Due to NPO’s status as a Karma PoW, Pacifican officials and representatives of Red Dawn have requested that Karma allow NPO to join the Red Dawn Economic Treaty Organization by signing its charter. A charter which dovetails with Karma’s own goals: Decrease the ability of one (particular) alliance to claim the Red sphere solely as its property through expressed, binding non-aggression, Senate vote sharing, and attracting alliances to Red and fostering their growth.

To date, and for the past 5 months, Karma refuses to allow Red Dawn to assist them in these common goals by allowing NPO to fully and officially participate.

I must admit that I did not join in the optimism of Vilien, Francesca, and TimLee, or the stiff-lipped hope of NPO when Red Dawn missions made inquiries to Karma. NPO knows well that I am not among the starry-eyed white-peacers or tut-tutting moralist proponents of wrist-slapping. It is NPO’s own actions (coupled with the tab their sycophantic ex-allies left when they fled the table) that have brought NPO to its current position, and while it sucks that they’re the only ones suffering, suffering there must be. What, though, has an embargo on Red Dawn got to do with Karma’s designs on NPO?

I can divine only one answer: While Red Dawn dilutes Pacifica’s hold on Red, it also means economic opportunity, faster rebuilding. The longer NPO’s nations are stunted, the longer NPO will take to complete reps, and the longer still that NPO will remain under terms.

It may be true that Digiterra needs a breather from the Pax Pacifica, a long one. A really long one. It is also true that with each week, moralists (who misunderstood Karma from Day One) grow in their righteous indignation. At the same time, regular Pacificans themselves move further from learning from a teachable moment in Pacifican history and closer to desires for embittered revenge.

Meanwhile, Red Dawn signatories are left to stew with NPO; 33% of Pacifican nations—the nations we need to strengthen ourselves and our alliances—have no harbor. Karma refuses to allow even $200,000 one-to-one transactions to facilitate trade between Red Dawn and NPO. As NPO is retarded, so are those who are to be the hedge against a resurgence of unilateral Red control, more than any terms regarding NPO doctrine.

Perhaps Karma fears a Red Dawn economics induced NPO springback al la GPW. Karma should make no mistake, the stunning rebound of NPO post-Great Patriotic War is exactly what it is: A historic event, a thing remembered. NPO is no longer the nimble, 200-nations alliance it was then. If Karma fears a lightening recovery, they need not make misguided policy decisions based on those fears. Recovery will come without regard to sanctions on team-wide cooperation. The end of Karma’s means, I fear, is not to hold back NPO, rather Red, and when that recovery comes, to deliver Red once more into the Pacifican Emperor’s palm.

Rather, while NPO is under terms, Karma must utilize the period to cultivate NPO to this new world we dance in: to work with—not dictate-to—to cooperate—not strong-arm—to compromise—not eliminate. These are Red Dawn’s goals; this is why I am a proponent of NPO’s inclusion.

Schattenmann is founder of this "This Week in Pacifica," the Cult of Justicia, and is a former member of the Vox Populi. He is disappointed that although Red is suposed to be free, Aqua, Black, Green and others have say over how Red is run.

-----

Written by Schattenmann

This Week in Pacifica - A Schattenmann Production

Proudly Partnering with PNN

Reviews by Ragashingo: Concert for Pacifica

stadiumpacificacopy.jpg

The People's Concert Hall of Sir Paul, rebuilt in the post-modern style

People's Concert Hall of Sir Paul, NPO: When I first saw the announcement for the Concert for Pacifica I was pretty ambivalent. Sir Paul is a talented writer and I'd certainly gotten a laugh from some of his previous musical works but I also feared that the concert would drip too heavily with sarcasm and mean spirited propaganda.

Boy was I wrong.

Did the concert have some propaganda in it? Of course. But it had the right kind of propaganda. None of it was mean spirited, and most of it was fairly funny. Speaking of humorous, Sir Paul and company did an amazing job hosting the event. They came in before and after every song and had me laughing out loud a couple of times. Cortath certainly deserves props for the bit where he was surprisingly interested in switching to satellite TV.

The theme of the concert, the kicking off of Pacifica's Zombie Preparedness Initiative, was an interesting one and one that I can easily relate to. Both my current and former alliances were victims of zombie attacks at some point in their histories. But with the preparation the NPO is doing, and a bit of luck, they should be able to avoid the same fate. I wish them success in their endeavor. After all, no one deserves a run in with the undead hordes.

The songs that made up the concert itself were very good. They ranged from surprisingly pleasing to amazingly awesome and there wasn't a flop among them. Here's a quick recap:

1. Questo De Pacifica - This slow instrumental piece manages to convey more sadness and intensity that you would originally guess.

2. Z Day - A fun generally upbeat piece that can spur your imagination to run wild with fantasies of a zombie attack. I liked the part in the middle that slowly built in pace as if more and more zombies were lining up.

3. We Didn't Start The Fire - This classic has been remixed with names, organization, and events from CN history and it's a hoot. My favorite phrases were "Trouble on the green team" and "Mary the Fantabulous." It does have one significant flaw however: I didn't get a mention

The next few songs are great remixes from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. I do think that Sir Paul made a serious mistake by not doing an adaptation of Slipping Away. That song seems almost custom made to be part of Pacifican propaganda. Everything I Ever Wanted could be very good as well...

4. My SDI - This song relates just what the singer will do with his SDI during the Karma War. I loved how the song cut off just like the original did.

5. Mid-War Melody - This fast paced song set to the theme of Bad Horse received new wording but remains funny and upbeat.

6. Doitzel and Dad Duet - This, along with We Didn't Start The Fire, is the highlight of the concert. Its a little more propaganda heavy than the previous songs but its more than made up for by the duet Sir Paul does with Doitzel near the end.

7. Everyone Is Evil In Their Own Way - This is the best combination of propaganda and music in the entire concert even if it was surpassed in general awesomeness by both We Didn't Start The Fire and the Doitzel and Dad Duet.

8. Blood Oath Vengeance - Again a bit more propaganda heavy but its totally worth it to hear Sir Paul flub the "cause you're gonna die" line near the end.

9. The Siege of Francograd - A nearly five minute epic instrumental that I swear is based on something I've heard of before. Amazingly it is actually a completely original composition. That just makes it stand out all the more in my mind.

All in all it was a great concert and you really should listen to it if you haven't already. Here's a direct link for your convenience. Once you're done be sure to leave your praise in the concert's announcement thread.

Ragashingo is a current member of the Siberian Tiger Alliance and should be, but isn't last he checked, an honorary member of the Global Alliance and Treaty Organization. He has been an outspoken voice for most of Planet Bob's history and has even tried his hand at CN journalism on occasion.

-----

Written by Ragashingo

Proudly Part of PNN

Raid Review: Hitting Alliances

athens_massacre_V4.jpg

Athens liberating technology from some nameless alliance

Central Bureaucracy, Complaints and Grievances: The evolution of tech raiding has a long and complicated history in Cybernations. Some alliances have stood against tech-raiding since their founding (such as the NPO and GATO), others have allowed informal raiding of independent nations (such as FARK and STA), while others have orchestrated alliance-wide pogroms against entire affiliations (such as Athens and FoB).

While the political fallout of an alliance-wide raid can be steep morally, as explained in this post, it is really no different than attacking a five-man alliance or even a single player. As such, let the Tabloid Tribune help you in preparing for a successful alliance-wide raid that results in riches and not ridicule.

Treaty Research: This is the most critical and difficult portion of an alliance-wide tech raid, but you must find out if this alliance has any defense treaties with other parties. Since there are hundreds of treaties, many carried over from countless mergers, we recommend searching the CN Wiki, the Alliance Announcement Forums, and the target's website. It is also a good idea to simply ask the target if they have any protectorate or defense pacts. Try sending over a low-level ambassador on a goodwill and cultural exchange tour. Many small alliances will enjoy the attention and not pick up on the real purpose for your visit. Remember, the last thing you want is for some missed MDP to pop-up and give someone who has and ax to grind a reason to swing it.

Defense and Chutzpah Index: The point of a tech raid is fun and profit, and no one profits from a nuke-and-bombing fest. Ideally, your alliance, already part of a major block and containing several hundred more nations than your target, should be so formidable that you can extort your tech and be on your way. An alliance with few to zero nukes and low war chests are in no position to fight back and a good target. However, even an alliance with nukes may be a good target is they have low Chutzpah. There are some principled people in this game who will launch nukes and fight back regardless of odds if their sovereignty is infringed. Yes, you will hopelessly grind them into the dirt but you will not make a profit and it doesn't look classy. Check the post-count of alliance leaders and review their recent topics and posts. If you expect they will hit the red button, be all over the forum and start talking with your enemies, you may want to pass on that target.

Tech Dealers A Plus: If you can be choosy, go after tech dealers. Tech dealers should have technology on hand, but not enough to cause major casualties, maximizing your profit. It should also be noted that your foray will weaken your target, making them more likely to continue to tech deal to make up for the loss, so try targeting people who tech deal with your allies to give them a hand.

raidx6bn.png

As GammaHive points out, this is a great strategy

Go After the Hated and Defenseless: Everyone loves a hero, and nothing is more heroic than cutting down unarmed heathen peasants. The Tabloid Tribune recommends the alliance "New Pacific Order." They are currently under surrender terms, unable to fight back and their protectors have been turning a blind eye to raiding activity. For example, at the last Praetorian Guard audit, 100 non-ghost members were raided, but only 18 of them were defended. The best part is that if you are caught, it's illegal to give them reparations for the damage you caused! It's pure profit. Also, because they are hated, any mention of this on the open world forum would be considered "whining" and would elevate your status as defender of the realm. Here is a list of leaders who have taken the plunge and attacked the Order without any retribution from the Group of 15.

• Lyuben Vachkov
    baker2900
    Bruce9
    Maxxeh
    Ramses The Great
    Andallo
    marsh0lion
    Salem994
    StaticRoar
    darklord99
    Arm_Red**
    Carowena
    Pheonix Griffon
    deadmanlive4ever
    lolroflex
    gymjim101
    tantrew
    queendom
    Kerrby87
    Der Baron
    empirestv
    Trishal
    Junior209
    lionn5
    MONTY081301
    general winston
    KING ZACH THE 1st
    ChrisJS
    Bigbuns
    empirestv
    alexjacobii
    Kusatsu
    Dieselman885
    wjwill
    rolyat
    RAMSTERLORD
    Choswald
    yoyopeep22
    Wrecked

* Not a Rogue of the Viridian Entente

* Removed under Imperial Order C_2009_MA_5 because apparently Arm_Red did not "[attack] the Order without any retribution from the Group of 15"

If you want to follow raids on Pacifican Nations, you can sign up for this twitter feed and root for the tools of Karma.

Be Prepared to Apologize if things go South: Every now and then, things can go sideways, and even the best laid raids will stir-up political problems. Always have an introspective apology ready to post if you need to get some political cover. Remember that most of the world raids, and they hate to be reminded that they're raiding of a single or small group of nations is morally equivalent to attacking any alliance without a valid casus belli. A simple apology will end with lots of love and forgiveness and you can go back to raiding single nations and small groups of people until it all blows over. Remember: words are just words, but tech is national strength.

-----

Written by Sir Paul

Proudly Part of PNN

Reparation Efficiency Ratings

makeitrainm.jpg

If Cortath goes through one stack ($1000) every 12 seconds, he can make it rain for 7.8 years with 20.5 billion

Office of the Imperial Clerk: Per the Transparency Act of 2004, the New Pacific Order is releasing additional statistics from the Karma War. The latest statistics are how many wars each alliance was involved with against Pacifican targets, as well as their total reparations. The Reparation Efficiency Rating is a measure of how much reward each alliance received for the amount of work they contributed to the war effort, defined as reparations / wars fought.

godisgreat.png

Data Gathered by BPI Director Bilrow. All tech converted to cash at 100 tech = $3,000,000. OV was originally to get all $2.5 billion, but began sending GUN aid targets, and thus have been combined for statistical/revenge purposes.

-----

Written by Sir Paul

Proudly Part of PNN

NEW SING-ALONG WAR REPORT

raidoffrancograd.jpg

It's been a long night in Francograd

Office of the Imperial Clerk: Due to popular demand, the Imperial Clerk has issued report

. You can find all Imperial Clerk War Reports here.

-----

Written by Sir Paul

Proudly Part of PNN

Edits made on Nov 24, 2009 per request of the Viridian Entente

Edits made on Nov 26, 2009 under Imperial Order C_2009_MA_5

Edited by Sir Paul

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$18m per war? You got off lightly, a war costs much, much more than that. I'd stop banging on that point if I were you, you're not looking good with it any more.

Red Dawn is odd though, personally I'd be happy to let you sign that, if only as a final declaration that Free Red is here to stay.

Here is a list of leaders who have taken the plunge and attacked the Order without any retribution from the Group of 15.

Arm_Red

check your facts a little better before making yourself look like an idiot. Arm_Red is VE Deputy Secretary of Defense, and probably the one person who has attacked more rogues attacking NPO or ghosts in NPO more than any other person. that you would think this was worthy of 'retribution' shows how sorry the Pacifican propaganda machine has become.

i have personally inquired with NPO multiple times about clearing nations to be hit who are ghosting NPO and have ordered nations to attack those who have attacked NPO. at VE we take this protection seriously (have you heard of the VE-GDI War?) and have done well by NPO, and treated them with much more respect than we could have expected to have been treated were the tables reversed.

if NPO wishes to recruit new nations, that is their choice. that they can not afford harbors is not our problem, perhaps Pacifica, knowing the terms as they are, would be best to not recruit new nations into their alliance until they are out of terms, because then they wouldnt have to worry about how to provide harbor grants.

the terms are right there out in the open. they were agreed to not with a gun to their heads, but were agreed to because they were fair and it ended the carnage. it is poor show for NPO to complain about them four months into their duration, after making only what amounts to a half-hearted effort to pay off the required reparations to see the terms end.

in the end, you are taking the terms very literally in that you have 12 months to pay the reparations off, and seem to have no plans to pay them off significantly sooner than that. why then, should the other side be lenient on bending terms of the surrender in your favor?

$18m per war? You got off lightly, a war costs much, much more than that. I'd stop banging on that point if I were you, you're not looking good with it any more.

Red Dawn is odd though, personally I'd be happy to let you sign that, if only as a final declaration that Free Red is here to stay.

One more paradox.

check your facts a little better before making yourself look like an idiot. Arm_Red is VE Deputy Secretary of Defense, and probably the one person who has attacked more rogues attacking NPO or ghosts in NPO more than any other person. that you would think this was worthy of 'retribution' shows how sorry the Pacifican propaganda machine has become.

So your response is that Arm_Red gets to techraid PoWs at will because on off days he also defends PoWs? Sounds more like defending his turf than defending PoWs. <_<

So your response is that Arm_Red gets to techraid PoWs at will because on off days he also defends PoWs? Sounds more like defending his turf than defending PoWs. <_<

first, VE does not allow tech raids. please amend your train of thought to account for that fact.

second, i would please like to see this PoW who Arm_Red allegedly has attacked. all of the wars he has declared have been either on targets who attacked NPO, or on ghosts cleared by NPO to attack.

first, VE does not allow tech raids. please amend your train of thought to account for that fact.

second, i would please like to see this PoW who Arm_Red allegedly has attacked. all of the wars he has declared have been either on targets who attacked NPO, or on ghosts cleared by NPO to attack.

i must also amend that second part to include terms violators, sorry.

Look, you're a PoW and Karma doesnt have to let you join ANYTHING. Not that i personally care if you do but you can quit !@#$%*ing about it.

and as for your nations under attack, do you bother to tell VE, Sparta, FOK, or whoever is in charge of that matter or do you post it on Twitter?

I read it a little. I laughed a little. And I frowned a little. All in all not too bad for a tabloid. External writers was a nice touch.

That said, it would be significantly easier for your protectors to handle those attacking your lower ranks if they weren't, well, attacking your lower ranks. As of November 19th, since November 10th six targets were posted on "the boards" according to one James I of the Kingdom of Mushrooms (I'm assuming "the boards" are Athens' boards). Their nation strengths:

I'm sure the 14.5k NS nation was covered relatively easily, and the 2.6k NS nation could be covered with a bit of work. How many alliances though have active members with nations in the 150-600 NS range capable and reliable enough to wage war? I'm thinking very few, if at all any, whether protecting the NPO or not. It's safe to say then that this is probably why the recent Praetorian Guard audit only found 18 of 100 non-ghost members that were raided being defended. ;)

edit: fixed some spelling

Edited by SirWilliam

"the Tabloid Tribune has always been dedicated to keeping the Citizens of the New Pacific Order one step ahead of the truth."

I am personally disgusted with these poor views upon Karma, thus I echo Goldielax25s concerns. Especially Sir Pauls unfortunate article mentioning Deputy Secretary of Defence Arm_Red (Viridian Entente) as a perpetrator of the Pacifican sovereignty. I recommend the Order to review their perspective: extremely satisfied with Arm_Red.

I say this for two reasons. Not only am I familiar with Arm_Reds efforts in upholding the Instrument of Surrender that was agreed upon, but I am also aware that at this moment he is dealing with a rogue that has attacked personalities from both the Viridian Entente and the New Pacific Order, including Emperor Cortath.

Edited by Melchior

I read it a little. I laughed a little. And I frowned a little. All in all not too bad for a tabloid. External writers was a nice touch.

That said, it would be significantly easier for your protectors to handle those attacking your lower ranks if they weren't, well, attacking your lower ranks. As of November 19th, since November 10th six targets were posted on "the boards" according to one James I of the Kingdom of Mushrooms (I'm assuming "the boards" are Athens' boards). Their nation strengths:

I'm sure the 14.5k NS nation was covered relatively easy, and the 2.6k NS nation could be covered with a bit of work. How many alliances though have active members with nations in the 150-600 NS range capable and reliable enough to wage war? I'm thinking very few, if at all any, whether protecting the NPO or not. It's safe to say then that this is probably why the recent Praetorian Guard audit only found 18 of 100 non-ghost members that were raided being defended. ;)

Could aid drops to those low strength nations be substituted for actual military intervention?