What's the purpose of a leader?

The AUT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some have already said, there's a difference betwn leadership and management. It's harder to lead by consensus than from on high (Or from behind!) but the results are far better, imho. That is not to say that a leader dithers around waiting for every squeaky wheel to be happy. Know what you want to do, but you're the "primus inter pares" not dictator for life. An insecure figure giving out orders no one follows is a disaster.

A good leader is one who can recognize not only recognize potential, but is also able to put that potential into motion. For example, it is not enough for a leader to recognize that creating an alliance would benefit many nations, they also need the resolve to put that vision into action.

Another important component of an effective leader is the ability to admit when they are wrong. I think we can all agree that no matter how awesome a leader may be, at one point, they will screw up. If they project ignorance to their faults, it benefits no one.

People who can plan ahead, see from another person's point of view, make responsible decisions, resist peer pressure, put their alliance's need above their personal need, take responsibility for their decisions, are polite, logical, and willing to admit their own mistake.

I like all the perspectives of leadership in this thread. In my own opinion, I believe that there is a huge difference between managing an alliance and leading one. I believe that a good leader is the "Jack of All Trades" that isn't afraid to get his or her hands dirty and to help out in areas that the alliance is struggling in.

A good leader knows everything that is going on in his or her alliance. He or she knows the strengths and weaknesses of the alliance and focuses his or her energy on the areas that are in need until he or she finds someone who has the skills to strengthen that "soft spot". The leader then moves on to the next project, continually knowing what areas need help. He or she also is a good judge of talent, and places the right people in the right places to get the job done.

A good leader works hard for the alliance, as opposed to merely giving orders. If the leader can create a new program, he or she can also help run that program. The alliance is the first priority, and a good leader will make contributions to the alliance that would slow down his or her personal growth, so that younger members can grow and contribute to the alliance.

A good leader is a good diplomat, and is able to look forward in time, doing things that not only benefit the alliance in the short term, but in the long term as well. The leader knows that it takes time to get the alliance to their "destination" but has goals in mind. He or she breaks those goals down into smaller goals and is able to rally the alliance members toward reaching them. Each goal they reach builds more trust in their leader.

A good leader recognizes, appreciates, and rewards hard workers and member achievements. Giving this recognition only motivates the membership to achieve more.

A good leader is honest, and also is able to fall on his or her sword when wrong.

A good leader is also the embodiment of the ideals and motivations of his or her alliance. As a public face, a good leader represents the goals and ambitions of the alliance at all times, and people tend to base their opinion of his or her alliance on him or her.

Managing is an alliance is making decisions that everyone can prosper from now. Leading an alliance is making decisions that everyone will prosper from later.

This is close to my definition so I'll paraphrase you somewhat:

Leading an alliance is making decisions that everyone will prosper from, be it in the short or long term, through action externally and appointment of efficient government members for the proper management internally.

A leader and a manager are entirely different things.

A good manager shepherds and conserves resources. A good leader sets a course and holds the ship true to it. An alliance needs both.

Very astutely put. The problem is finding either 1) one person who can balance both roles or 2) a group of persons who don't get jealous when one of them becomes the frontman/frontwoman. Find both as well as a body politic to back them up and you have a successful alliance which will endure. Mess it up and you end up with the proverbial rotten house which needs one good kick at the front door to come toppling down.

A leader and a manager are entirely different things.

A good manager shepherds and conserves resources. A good leader sets a course and holds the ship true to it. An alliance needs both.

I agree with this here, while someone can fill both rolls I think they would get worn out quickly doing so. During my time as King I've mostly focused on FA, resolving issues as they come up, and keeping capable people in management positions to handle that for me. I found when trying to fill both roles that I would quickly get worn out and often times not have enough time to deal with everything going on. The real challenge of a leader is to get capable people willing to fill management government positions and remain active in it. Some people are great for management positions but not good for leadership roles. There are also many leaders who are great at leading an alliance to make the right choices, but aren't well suited for management type positions as they find it uninteresting.

A good leader recognizes his/her weaknesses and never shows them.

I disagree. I would say a good leader admits to their weaker points and works with others to compensate for them without letting their pride get in the way. There's a lot to be said for a humble and realistic leader.