What's the purpose of a leader?

The AUT

Hi all.

I've been wondering this question for quite some time. My question is, what constitutes a good leader?

We all have different views of what a good leader is. My personal belief is a leader is one who sacrifices for his alliance and helps to make the environment better for his own members.

However, some may see leadership differently. Let's ignore government structure for a moment, but what's the difference between managing an alliance and leading one? Which one is more suited for Planet Bob?

Is a good leader one who brings prosperity to his alliance, or is he a person who works hard and continues to try his best to make it better? Or is it a mixture of both? We all have strengths and weaknesses. Just want to hear all of your views on this, I'm just curious.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who sacrifice for their alliance - and help to make the environment better - may be hard workers, may be a symbol for their alliance, and may be recognized for their efforts, but I would rarely call those people "leaders" in the sense in which you refer to it. A true leader must be able to gather those hard workers to their cause, and direct their efforts to accomplish their overall goal.

Edited by Gopherbashi

Hi all.

I've been wondering this question for quite some time. My question is, what constitutes a good leader?

We all have different views of what a good leader is. My personal belief is a leader is one who sacrifices for his alliance and helps to make the environment better for his own members.

However, some may see leadership differently. Let's ignore government structure for a moment, but what's the difference between managing an alliance and leading one? Which one is more suited for Planet Bob?

Is a good leader one who brings prosperity to his alliance, or is he a person who works hard and continues to try his best to make it better? Or is it a mixture of both? We all have strengths and weaknesses. Just want to hear all of your views on this, I'm just curious.

A good Leader is anyone who does a Good job into doing his or hers Job. The Job would be anything that takes responsibility that make the person in charge (PIC) shape, model or monitor the events that pose as a challenge.

So don't screw up, and take responsibility. :P

I believe a good leader is someone who does sacrifices for the alliance. They put the alliance above their own nation. I think a good leader has the ability to see what could be coming and has the ability to compensate and adjust the plan, whether drastically or minutely to accomplish the goal.

However, management vs leading one?

I think you can manage an alliance sure, but not all who manage alliances are good leaders. But someone can be Both of coarse.

Edited by Robert Specto

That's a tough one, AUT, because there are so many answers.

I think a true leader, the trait that separates them from those who are just thrust into a head management position, is that they are visionaries. That's the whole point of leading, isn't it? To have some place where you want to go, and people you want to bring with you along for the ride.

"A good leader doesn't take his people to where they want to go, he takes them to where they need to go."

On equal footing with that, a leader must be able to create a bond of trust with those who follow him or her. That is essential. A leader who is not trustworthy will soon find themselves leading a flock of one. What builds trust is accountability and repeated fulfillment of their aims. They are consistent with rewards and punishments.

They see the potential in situations and in people, and work to create actualities out of possibilities.

A good leader must be able to stand, fight and die, for their deepest convictions. They must have the fortitude and humility to place the needs of their people over his or her own.

A good leader must be able to command respect from others. Either through fear, love, or sheer force of will, they must make other's think twice before crossing them and see the benefits of cooperating with them.

A leader must be a psychologist to the degree that they understand what makes people tick, what their particular thumbscrews are and how to use their wants and fears to motivate them Friend and foe alike.

The master should ever be the student. A life long commitment towards learning, hedges out arrogance and complacency.

A good leader must be able to take responsibility for the actions of him or her self, and in most cases of the people, too. Accountability builds trust.

Below those requirements, are several things that a make a leader better but could probably be substituted by having a trusted advisor do it for them.

I think a good leader should be the master of at least one skill but even better than that, should be able to place people in the organization where those people can do the most good. To that end, a leader must be able to know themselves with bone cutting honesty, and be able to understand the abilities of others with the same depth.

A good leader should be a strategist. They have to feel the movement of the times and anticipate what will come before it gets here. They should have several analytical and decision making skills at hand. They should not only be able to see an opportunity, calculate the benefit, but also appreciate the cost.

Persuasiveness in one form or another, effective for the culture of the group, and it helps to be diplomatically inclined.

A good leader must know when to be good and bad as the situation permits, and be able to live with the consequences, intended or otherwise, of each. Empathy in one hand and cold rationale in the other makes the perfect balance for understanding justice.

A good leader should be a master of their own emotions and know how to pull forth the emotions of others.

Edited by Kzoppistan

A good leader is and does what he is required to be and do. There is no universal attributes of a good leader because of the many variables which go into every distinctly different situation. The people your leading, your own personal goals and the goals of those you lead and the situation and environment in which you are placed. These are the things a good leader must manipulate, balance and deal with in order to better his alliance. How you handle those things to become a good leader will vary depending on the situation so the only way to truly judge a leader is based on the results of his actions, not the actions themselves.

A leader, pure and simple, is the sole person who sets the tone and the example for the actions and accomplishments of his alliance. He must lead by word and example - no true "leader" can ask anything of his members that he himself would not do in their stead. The best leader, therefore, is he who not only delegates and orates exceptionally but carries the load of twenty other members.

At least, that's how I've always viewed leading and tried to live up to that as a standard.

A good leader has an in-depth knowledge of every area of his/her own alliance and its departments.

They are a skilled diplomat who is on good terms with most of the world.

And they are a formidable strategist to deal with the people of the world who despite every diplomatic effort are still a threat.

They also need to be a demagogue without equal to persuade their alliance that their way is the best way forward for the alliance since it is no good having brilliant ideas if you can not make people listen to them.

A good leader also needs to be willing to be personally responsible for the consequences of their actions.

They also need to be willing to give 110% effort to make their alliance succeed.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

A good leader is someone willing to fight with their members, to take damage for their alliance, and to help their members. A good leader is someone unafraid of nukes, war, and obligations.

A bad leader, on the other hand, will jump to peace mode when they can, try to dump treaties, and do anything to avoid harm to their own skin. I'm sad to say I've had one such leader before.