Superpower on Bob

kitex

Frostbite is indeed VERY powerful and unified, but it is more down to the fact that there are so few members. C&G, SF and Citadel have far more and so, considering the size, I would say are more unified. The SF/Citadel is moot point I guess, with SF's structure (someone from SF please correct me if I am barking up the wrong tree here btw :P), if 4/7 of the alliances vote for war, then the entire bloc is pulled in. Because 4 of the 7 alliances are very close together- I would argue that the bloc is therefore quite unified. Citadel on the other had allows it's members to join together in offensive wars on an individual basis. On this basis I would argue that SF, as a political bloc, is more unified than Citadel.

Citadel is MDoAP, SF is semi-MADP (a majority vote means all signatories must go to war) and C&G is a full MADP (any signatory going to war has the support of the whole bloc).

It's rather difficult to compare the unity of different blocs. Generally allies try to appear unified even when they aren't (except for some who like to publicly threaten their allies :P) so unless there's some massive internal issue, it's all guesswork except for those on the inside, who of course will claim unity no matter what.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most blocs have one or two more or less representative alliances and those would be the ones I'd say are more or less superpowers. The thing is that the discrepancy between the 'super power' bloc members and the others doesn't seem as great as it used to be. Here are my estimates:

TOP (more or less the face of the Citadel side of the web)

MK (more or less the face of CnG especially after recent events)

NpO (more or less the heart of FB)

RIA (I am inclined to say that they are informally the leader of SF, but SF is much harder to call as their power is much more shared in my mind than the other blocs)

There are other well-connected alliances out there but these strike me the most obvious (except perhaps RIA). But there are many who are not much behind these in terms of political clout that are too numerous to mention.

TOP is probably the closest to being a superpower currently, but I'm unsure how well their ship would hold together if they began using/abusing their power frequently.

TOP are the closest to becoming a superpower, but with their membership I can't see them beginning to abuse their power at all.

So if you had to pick one, Citadel would have to be it. It would really take some banding together of the other major forces to actually take on Citadel's collection of strong nations. That would be my reasoning for choosing them as a superpower.

I second this, especially because it also has very strong ties to huge alliances like MHA and Sparta. I see a 5th super-powerbloc evolving around the core-"hegemony" alliances as soon as NPO ends its term. I think (and hope) the next major war will involve 2 of the powerblocs against the other 3. Probably the 3 will win, but Citadel is in my opinion the only one that has a chance to turn the tide and to create a winnable war for the side with 2 blocs.

An unknown for me, on this field, are MHA and Sparta.

I do not think we shall become a superpower any time soon. As much as I like my alliance we are a leader less than a follower. At this point though, I do think we are very valuable follower :)

I do not think we shall become a superpower any time soon. As much as I like my alliance we are a leader less than a follower. At this point though, I do think we are very valuable follower :)

You should work on that, then. It's a shame to hear that from the second largest alliance.

What is the point of power, the moment you attempt to use it you will be cut down by the other 3.

There is a nice level of co-operation and tension right now, exciting times are not that far away. BTW, exciting times is not necessarily war but the real tensions that come before it. The period immediately before GW2 and up to GW3 is still the most exciting to me. Even or unknown sides squaring off makes for good politics.

That sentance is 100% right in my opinion. The war is, fun, but the stuff leading up to it is and always will be the best part about this game. I especially like the 1 or 2 days before the war starts since you know for sure who you are fighting. I eagerly antisipate the first major treaty cancellation that will indicate that war is just on the horizon. I expect it to come around early 2010. Perhaps, after that war, we could see a new Superpower?

the only SF leader that really posts much is Delta.

You do realize that this means war ...

RIA (I am inclined to say that they are informally the leader of SF, but SF is much harder to call as their power is much more shared in my mind than the other blocs)

Everyone knows that we rotate it. Delta is currently dictator of SF, Xiphosis before him, me before that, etc etc ... I think we're going to let Goose have a whack at it soon.

That sentance is 100% right in my opinion. The war is, fun, but the stuff leading up to it is and always will be the best part about this game. I especially like the 1 or 2 days before the war starts since you know for sure who you are fighting. I eagerly antisipate the first major treaty cancellation that will indicate that war is just on the horizon. I expect it to come around early 2010. Perhaps, after that war, we could see a new Superpower?

Yes- I agree that the interest is before the war. Look at the recent situation with Ni. The threads about Athens attacking Ni and MK telling everyone to back off received FAR more attention than the resolution thread. People want to start a war, but the war itself is all down to formulas and guides. It isn't nearly as interesting as the politics.

As for superpower- I think certain alliances could become one within a couple of months if they chose to. They have that sort of power and influence. But everyone is watching out for everyone else. And so no one is acting. The political landscape after the next war will be very interesting.

You do realize that this means war ...

I thought of you, but really you don't post much. Certainly not as much as in your previous reign. I mean, you have about 24 posts in a whole month. Delta averages that many in three days. :lol1:

The guy is #12 in total post count, with most if not all of the people above him being Water Cooler posters. He's even got more than Doitzel. :P

Citadel is far more unified than SF, probably not as unified as CnG though... none of which are as unified as Frostbite which is an extension of Polar at this point.

Just wondering why you think Cit is more unified than SF but not as much as C&G? If you mean unity between the member alliances, from a layman's point of view the only real way to gauge a bloc's unity would be going on history and their presence on the forums, but imo it seems pretty hard to say who is more unified without actually having been part of the others. Every bloc is going to have small disagreements here and there at times, but I don't think any of the four (Cit, SF, C&G, FB) have had severe conflicting ideologies that have created lasting tension internally.

The only other option I suppose would be treaties, in which case yeah, not all of SF is friends with the same people. I don't know enough about the other blocs to compare, and that may prove true to your original statement.

On topic though: Like others have said, the real superpowers to me are the blocs atm. The way that the treaty web has been the past 2+ years, there's never going to be an individual alliance holding immense power over others; it comes down to how well connected said alliance is.

SOS Brigade.
Hey, a member of the SOS Brigade who doesn't have an anime avatar. Hallelujah!

My money on the Great Powers of our day are:

NpO

MK

I just don't think anyone in SF really stands out as the leader of the bloc, but that certainly doesn't diminish the overall power of SF... it just means that they're all relying on one another for power much more than the aforementioned alliances.

Obviously, blocs are the name of the game right now.

In terms of alliances though, I'd go with either NpO, TOP, or MK as well. MK has been tarnished by the Athens/Ni situation, so they are behind in the game. TOP and NpO are both pretty much equal in terms of superpower status right now. Also, I'd throw in an underdog bet to IRON. They have rebuilt amazingly fast, and all they need to be a serious contender is a strong backing of other alliances.

NpO

MK

I just don't think anyone in SF really stands out as the leader of the bloc, but that certainly doesn't diminish the overall power of SF... it just means that they're all relying on one another for power much more than the aforementioned alliances.

Umm...Roq's from Umbrella. He's in the TE alliance, but this isn't about Steve. :P

when i think CN superpower that bloc needs to be unified strong (have a good strong balance between the top tier,middle tier and lower tier.) that they can "dominate" others...

fault with those with majority of top tier nations lose that advantage when the alliance they are at war against falls out of range. and thus can no longer attack.

fault with those with a majority of middle tier nations lose the advantage if the alliance they are at war with mainly is in the top tier alliances (cant hit due to size) or again cant attack as the nations fall out of range

fault with those with a majority of low tier nations are at the worst advantage as they are unable to target the middle and top tiers.

if you have a awesome balance from top,middle,low tiers then you can effectively keep a alliance(s) at war for a very long time beating them into submission.

i think the closest blocs with that advantage might be frostbite and CnG. citadel is mainly top tier nations. and i cant really comment on SF as i do not know there tier makeups.

NpO

MK

They're like Goku and Vegeta doing the fusion dance to become Vegetto. :awesome: