Order in Chaos

Sarah Tintagyl

OOC: This is a continuation of the Hunt for Green November.

IC:

Frank McCutcheon burst through the glass doors of his beach house holding his bleeding arm against his body. How could he have been stupid, everything on the news had told him that he would have been next. Bill's mansion burning down to the ground and then Zoey Nichols' body being found gunned down in her Atlanta Penthouse and yet Louis was nowhere to be found, he had told them that nothing would go wrong. That revenge would not bring up the ghosts of the past, or the angels of death, their leader couldn't have been anymore wrong. Frank looked back for a moment into the darkness of his television room, they were like piercing jewels looking back at him, the two sapphire eyes lacking any sign of remorse. At first he had tried to do her in, but she couldn't be shot taking blows and bullets better than professional soldiers he had seen. Her face was covered in dried blood, she was bleeding from her forehead, her body suit was ripped and bullet holes ran up and down her torso and everything he did, she just kept coming.

Bursting through the doors, he staggered out onto the wooden deck behind of the house and looked out into the darkening horizon of Key West. A bright moon was just beginning to sink into the water, turning the turbulent Atlantic into a steady cascading of waves crashing against each other and upon the shore. Another gun shot rang out through the house and a sharp and tearing pain gripped Frank's leg as he reached the stairs leading down to the beach. One of the highest officials of the Green Flag terrorist group began to tumble to the ground and hit the sand of the beach with a whisper in the sand. It has been said that during a time of extreme anxiety and fear, as the fear that had gripped Frank's mind, a human will do anything to escape fate and slowly he began to crawl towards the ocean, thinking maybe somewhere out there, there was safety.

Halfway between the ocean and the beach house, he heard the echoing of footsteps down the wooden deck and turned his head. "I told you know I don't know where Louis is! If I knew I would have told you, so would Bill and Zoey? What kind of !@#$@#$ monster are you?"

"!@#$@#$ monster?" Her voice was terrifyingly calm. " You have a big ego Frank to call me the monster. I mean I'm not trying to say that I'm not...what's the word...pure...but then again, you are involved with the murder of some million people and God knows how many more. You know?"

"That's Louis! Not me! I don't do that !@#$!"

The woman laughed. "Sure, you're just a terrorist for the title. Please don't make me laugh. There are millions of better excuses then that." She was on top of him at this point.

"I thought murder was under you. I thought you were a voice of peace and order?"

"Oh I still am." She smiled. "Filth like you are against my world order."

"Your world order?"

"Yeah, its going to be fun. To bad you won't be there to see it." The girl pulled the trigger, one bullet left, but it only took one bullet as she took a deep breath and looked out to the moon. "Well Louis look like you're still safe for now." Sarah Tintagyl dropped her gun to the ground and whipped the blood from her mouth. "YOU HEAR THAT! I'M STILL COMING FOR YOU!" She screamed out into the darkness, her voice traveling far under the waves...

"You won't have to go very far, Sarah." The calm voice was no more than thirty feet from her. There stood Louis Egon, dressed all in white, which contrasted with the darkness of his skin. The loose tunic of a shirt, baggier pants and high boots were accentuated by a loose gathering of fabric near his waist, which hung down like a half-cape. He had no visible weapons, no visible body armor. However, there was a look in his eyes that said he knew what he was here for.

"You know, if Francis had simply run the other direction, he would have come out right in front of my sub. You know, the Green November. The sub that destroyed Brisbane." A low chuckle ran through his voice. He had slipped back into Federation territory as he still knew the override codes to the SOSUS system. Now his sub was parked just off the island where Francis had his home. Or had, rather.

"I knew destroying that pitiful city would draw you out, however I didn't expect you to be this ruthless. I thought you still had a ways to go before you turned into one of us. I guess I was wrong. You're much closer than I had expected. This is good." Louis slowly sunk to his knees in the white sand, breathing in the sea air and closing his eyes.

"Come try and do what you must, Sarah Tintagyl. Should you best me, you will have completed your journey. Should you not, I shall take your place."

"You won't have to go very far, Sarah."

Sarah turned around, she recognized the voice and instantly anger flared up in her eyes, the moon light giving them the color of sterling silver.

"You know, if Francis had simply run the other direction, he would have come out right in front of my sub. You know, the Green November. The sub that destroyed Brisbane."

The girl clenched her fists and closed her eyes. "How can you even say that with a smile on your face, you're disgusting Louis, I wish you were still in charge of Xaristan so that I could burn this country to the ground. But I guess its not that easy and you wouldn't care anyways. Hell you'd probably enjoy it in your sick and twisted mind. No, I don't kill like that, I kill those that need to die, and you're one of those people that especially need to die in the worst way possible. You destroyed my home! You know this is the second time that some !@#$%^& did this and you know what happened to the first one, he ended up killing himself. I wish I was there to pull his trigger, so I'm extremely elated that I'm here for you."

"I knew destroying that pitiful city would draw you out, however I didn't expect you to be this ruthless. I thought you still had a ways to go before you turned into one of us. I guess I was wrong. You're much closer than I had expected. This is good."

Her breathing became flustered, she almost wanted to laugh. "Yeah, yeah I want to be one of you. Because I know I can't have a heart if I'm supposed to get revenge on the people that destroyed my home, everything that I knew! If getting rid of my heart means that I get rid of people like you, I'd gladly sacrifice it."

"Come try and do what you must, Sarah Tintagyl. Should you best me, you will have completed your journey. Should you not, I shall take your place."

Her eyes flared up, the anger and power was incredible as her vision went red, all Sarah wanted to see was her hands around his neck and all her discipline flew from her mind as she charged at him and as she approached, set to roundhouse him in the face.

Even with his eyes closed, Louis knew exactly what was going on. He heard everything: the waves lapping up onto the beach, the slight ocean breeze that buffered them at this time of night, the breathing and heavy footsteps in the white sand of a girl who had been forced to grow up much too quickly and now was bent on revenge. The white sand was his advantage though, it would take her longer to cover the distance to him than if she was on solid ground.

A slight smile crept over his lips as a hand over his knees slid lower, grabbing a handful of the white sand. He waited, for the right moment, waiting for her to approach. As soon as she was only a few steps from striking him, his hand suddenly shot forward, sending white sand streaking towards her face and eyes as a leg swept out from under him, looking to take her to the ground with one looping leg sweep.

Sarah screamed as she lost her concentration, but her momentum was pushing her too quickly towards him and she fell forward clumsily. The next thing that hit her was a hard kick to the leg that sent her face into the ground. The girl hit the ground with a thud, a face full of sand, but she was determined and slammed her hands on the ground as she pushed her body back up to a fighting stance, her fists clenched tightly. Brushing the sand from her face and whipping her pony-tail back, Sarah lowered her position. She wouldn't be as stupid or as fast-paced to fail this time. But with Louis still on defense, she had to at least get him to open up and the best way was for him to counter her. Taking a swing at his face with her right hand she waited for a parry and that was when her real attack would be unleashed.

As Sarah recovered herself, Louis slowly stood. He did not bother to brush the sand from his knees or tunic, but assumed a southpaw fighting stance, legs bent, body and center of gravity low. "Silly girl. You must control your anger, even when taking revenge. Otherwise, when you begin a journey of revenge you must dig two graves." Sarah's swing at his face came as no surprise. He dodged his head to the right, grabbing her arm with both hands and then used her as leverage as he launched a right leg at her midsection. The girl was disappointing him so far, she was not as far along as he had hoped for her.

"I've already died. There's no point to dig anymore graves for a girl that is already dead. Yours is the only grave tonight." As she swung, he caught her arm and pulled her to him as his leg contacted with her midsection. Sarah grunted in pain as she bent forward, spit coming out of her mouth. But she still had a bit of energy left as with her left arm, with as much strength as she could muster, which given her recent conditions was a great deal for a girl her size. She slammed into his face and if that was enough to distract him, pull out her right arm and launch a flurry of punches into his face.

The first punch was merely a tap, but those that came after it were anything but. One, two, three punches rocked Louis Egon as he staggered back, letting go of Sarah's arm and throwing up his own in a protective shell. He tried to step back but stumbled slightly. The sand that had been his ally earlier was now becoming his enemy. Planting his feet as firmly as he could, Louis felt a blow careen off his right forearm and knew he had to strike. His head still ringing from the previous blows, he waited for another shot to hit an arm before slicing his left arm forward, a knife-hand strike aimed at Sarah's throat.

"Grrrewwwkkk!" Was the sound she made as spit flew up into the air and Sarah fell back holding her throat. It hurt so bad, but if she felt back to the ground she would be finished and she couldn't die now. No, not now, he had to at least die first, she had to see him die first and then she had to see Brisbane again, there was still too much to do. Brisbane...Brisbane.........Helsinki...The images of her life drove into her head like a runaway train and the memories came so fast and so vivid that they almost hurt as much as her throat. But it was a different kind of hurt, instead they burned down into her heart and into her body and a new feeling washed over her. Sarah felt different, out of her body, but stronger, oh so stronger.

Everything moved slower, she could see the moves and their bodies attacking in the moon light. His hand moving back slowly away from her throat, her body slumping back. As quick as she could, Sarah thrust forward, regaining herself from the attack and threw a strong uppercut into his stomach. "I...don't...go...down...that...EASILY!"

The blow caught him completely unprepared. Louis didn't even have time to flex his abdominal muscles as her uppercut blew all the wind out of him. He staggered back, clutching his stomach, trying to suck in air. In all his years of martial arts training, Louis had never seen someone recover as fast as Sarah had. He would not, however be recovering so quickly. His vision blurred as he tried to take a deep breath. It felt like he couldn't breath, like someone had placed a thousand pound weight on his chest and was not letting the pressure go. For the first time that evening, Louis felt fear.

On a knee with one hand on the ground, Louis reached behind him, whipping out his half-cape. Almost using it as a whip, he snapped the sharp edged clasp towards Sarah's temple, hoping his blurred vision wouldn't cause a miss.

Sarah felt back as the blood splattered against the moonlight and then disappeared into the darkness. Instantly, the blood began to pour from the right side of her face, running down her check, around her eye, onto her hair. Staggering back, she looked at the cape, Louis still trying to recover from her attack and she saw the fear in his eyes, and she took it in. Sarah had learned as of late that her enemies could all be brought down by that same force, fear. She was weak, or at least she gave off the persona of being weak, nimble, frail. A girl that had been blown to the wind without the ability to recover from her misgivings. The world had forsaken her, the young girl of eighteen cast from her parents, of her early twenties from her home in Finland, and now, she had no home anywhere. She would return, she had to return, but it would be ruin, it was always ruin.

It was at this point that something snapped, or perhaps a better term would be clicked. She had a power in her hands, a power that she hadn't seen before, her own hands could remake the world. Louis had tried, he had failed, the hegemonists had tried, they had failed. But she had plunged so many into chaos and yet pulled so many to order. No, she wanted Louis to fear her, she fed off of it, she needed more of it, it was her life-blood, her essence, that for those that sought damage to the Hanseatic state, they would receive retribution in full. He slammed the cape against her left temple, the blood splattered, covering the other side of her face. But the girl continued to move towards him, finally he swung out again and this time Sarah caught it and wrapped it tightly around her hand. The jagged edges digging into her palm as she yanked Louis towards her. They stood, looking at each other, staring into a bloody face for a long time, indeed, until time stopped and all Sarah could do was smile.

That smile almost killed him right there. Louis didn't think it was possible, for a smile to be so ice cold, so devoid of any joy whatsoever, that it could freeze a heart. And yet, it almost happened to him right then. He wanted to let go, to run even. He wanted to leave her behind and go into hiding and let the world run its course because he knew he had failed. His reign of terror was over, one way or the other. But a new purpose filled him. Something that he never would have guessed before. Louis Egon now felt a burning desire to kill Sarah Tintagyl not because of personal fame or infamy, but because if he didn't the world would burn. The feeling swelled up inside him like a tidal wave, an undeniable knowledge that if she killed him, he would only be the first of many, many more. The four who died in the Federation would be the tip of the iceberg that contained thousands, if not millions, more deaths.

Louis tugged with his left hand to move it, only to realize with gut-wrenching clarity that it was still wrapped tightly in the half-cape. The other end of which was wrapped tightly around Sarah's hand. Meeting her cold gaze, Louis swallowed hard. With a swift movement, he swung his left hand up, looking to ensnare the half-cape over Sarah's head, while his left knee shot forward, aiming for her armored midsection.

"Too slow my dear Louis."

As soon as he attempted to break from her grip, she let go of him and the cape fluttered in the night air missing its mark. But that was enough for her to grab the side of the cloth and jump back into him, this time swinging the cape around him instead. It was a fluid move, with one moment, Louis was turned from her sight, to staring back at Frank's house with the cape tightly wrapped around his neck. "Does that fit nice, Louis. Was that what you wanted to do to me. To choke me, to starve me out of life? Don't you listen? I don't have life, there's nothing to starve me out of, you'd be better tying this cape behind a rock than my neck." She pulled tighter and tighter. "So this is what fear is like, do you regret what you did yet Louis? Do you regret destroying my home? My people? Everything that I worked my life for? Do you regret that now?" She turned him around so that he could stare at her, to look into her eyes. They glistened the brightest sapphire, but it was a horrible sapphire, a glassy hell that stared back at him.

During the redemption, Christ would ask his children, were you sorry for your sins and one little girl would say "no." This was that little girl, the girl that had been thrown into the abyss of Hell and had climbed back out to the surface. Tighter and tighter went the cape, until it was as tight as her hands could make it and she held it there, staring down at him emotionless, except for a smile, a cold smile. A smile that only Sarah Tintagyl could possess.

Finally, it was over and as the storm clouds began to form over head a light rain began to sprinkle down as Sarah felt to the ground, her hands in the muddy sand. He was right, her journey had been completed and in a twisted way, he had succeeded.

The half cape wrung tighter around Louis' neck, and there was nothing he could do now. The look in Sarah's eyes, her words, her actions, let him know that this was the end. There was no escape. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. This was truly the end. Years of work, struggle, and terror would come to an end on this white sandy beach in Key West.

His mind fluttered back to memories of his life. The blackmailing of Tom Dobbs. The assassination order of Tom Dobbs. His troops marching into Redemptio. His appointment to Director. The brilliant Green Flag attack on Redemptio, the one set to Requiem for a Dream. His mind shifted back to the final show of the performance. A green flag, blowing in the breeze with smoke and fire rising around it. That image inspired terror in the world. That was his unknown legacy.

As Louis Egon slid to his knees in the white sand, a rain started to fall. Appropriate. Mother Nature seemed to love chaos... she was weeping for her fallen son. As his eyes closed for the final time, Louis Egon smiled.

The rain continued to fall, and another figure approached. In the silence that reigned over the scene, an unmistakable sound was heard: the cocking of a pistol. The figure was dressed all in black. Black dress pants, dress shoes, and a black shirt were covered in a long black overcoat even in the warmth of the Federation.

"Sarah Tintagyl." The figure spoke, not a question, but a statement. The gun was pointed squarely at her head as the figure circled around to observe the lifeless body of Louis Egon. His steely gray eyes traced the fallen man's body before shifting back to the girl standing near him. "He was right about you, you know. Somehow, he always knew it would come to this. He just said you needed a little prodding."

In a swift, sudden motion, the man flipped the safety of the gun on and then swung it around, extending it, barrel first, towards Sarah. "This belongs to you, Sarah Tintagyl, leader of the Green Flag."

"Sarah Tintagyl."

Her name sounded soft against the rolling thunder over head. The rain became pouring down in sheets turning the sand into a muddy slop and sinking her hands into the rising tide. Within seconds, Sarah was drenched, the rainwater running down her face, dripping in bloody drops off of her face, her hair, and her neck. It was like magic, as the red liquid was watched off and the girl returned to the purity that so many of the world identified her with. But when she heard her name, her eyes darted up to the black figure walking towards her, pointing a glistening pistol directly at her head. Sarah sighed and looked down at the ground, she really didn't care anymore, if they wanted to kill her this was the second grave. Its not like it would matter anymore. "Go on." She said coolly. "Pull the trigger."

"He was right about you, you know. Somehow, he always knew it would come to this. He just said you needed a little prodding."

He hadn't shot. Was he fooling with her? "Prodding?"

With a sudden movement the man handed her the gun that he held. "This belongs to you, Sarah Tintagyl, leader of the Green Flag."

Sarah took the barrel and looked back at him, curiously. "The Green Flag? The same people who destroyed my home? You must be joking me, I'm not your goddamn leader. I just killed your leader, you must think I'm insane." But she held the pistol feverishly. "Who are you?" She finally stood up and looked the man in the eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"My name is Dunstan." The man spoke simply, but with authority. His voice was a deep bass growl, almost in tune with the thunder still crashing around them. "That is all you need to know about me personally. I am here to make sure you understand what you have before you." Dunstan sighed as he looked down at Louis again.

"The Green Flag did not destroy your home. What Louis did was his own act on his own accord. The Green Flag had no part in it. Louis was no longer the leader of our organization the moment he pressed that button. In the tradition of the Green Flag, the one who kills the previous leader, unless they are an enemy of the Green Flag, becomes the leader of the Green Flag. That person, Sarah Tintagyl, is you." Dunstan looks down and smiles softly.

"You're a smart girl, Sarah. You know what you have in your hands now. The opportunity. The responsibility. The power." Reaching into his long overcoat, Dunstan pulls out a packet of papers, wrapped in a leather binding. He holds them out towards Sarah.

"These papers have the way to contact me. They also have the codes to work Louis' sub. It'll take you back to the Commonwealth. You have 12 hours to leave before the codes will no longer work and the sub will be sunk by the Federation navy if it is detected. I urge you to leave before that happens."

Sarah jumped back when he detailed just what he and ultimately come for. It was almost too much of a surprise for her. "You want me to be the leader of the Green Flag? You want me to be the leader of the largest terrorist organization known to man? You must be out of you-" She had turned around and then saw Egon's lifeless body. For a moment she was struck by some force that she couldn't quite comprehend. There was a way to use this, there was a way to use this power for something other than complete destruction. Louis for all intensive purposes in Sarah's mind, was, brutal. She had of course her own brutality and deep down she wanted to be brutal, very brutal, to wrong those who had wronged her. To correct those who stood uncorrected and now she had the chance.

"You're a smart girl, Sarah. You know what you have in your hands now. The opportunity. The responsibility. The power."

She waited and blinked her eyes. They weren't joking, she did have that power now and it felt amazing, the thought of such a command. Sarah looked back at him as he held his contact papers out. Taking them in her hand was like grabbing the mythical sword from a stone. With this, there was such a terrifying horror that could possess the world, she was almost afraid of what she could do with it. But deep down, Sarah knew, she had always known of this power and she had always wanted it. It was on here journey, a long journey of acceding to the clouds, this was just one more step to that goal.

"Yes. We'll keep in touch." She half saluted him and then turned her heels walking towards the submarine and a new fate with a new power. "Oh." She turned around and took something out of her pocket, walked over to Louis and tied it around his neck. It was a pink ribbon, with a smidgen of blood at the end. "Thomas will know exactly what that means and what it means for the future."

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Dunstan watched Sarah tie the ribbon around Louis' neck and then walk away. As her retreating back faded from view into the darkness, Dunstan felt a small twinge of fear. With Louis, you knew what to expect... large, grand, flourishing displays meant to scare the masses into submission without causing any real damage. Sarah Tintagyl had just traveled halfway around the world and murdered three people to find Louis Egon, and then kill him as well. What had they just unleashed upon the world? Dunstan didn't know, but it didn't matter now. He had a new boss, and he knew that more action would be forthcoming very, very soon.

Kneeling, he slid his hands underneath Louis' body and lifted. It would be a long and interesting trek to Redemptio, but Tom Dobbs needed to be paid a visit.

----- Three hours later -----

The door to the Presidential Office creaked open slowly, shattering the silence. It also woke Tom Dobbs up. His head had been slumped down on the desk. He had passed out reviewing some trade agreement of some sort. Glancing down, he grimaced. A new copy would be needed in the morning. Saliva had obscured the writing on this one beyond recognition.

"I told you all that I don't like to be disturbed when I am working late, you know..."

"I figured you would want to see this, Mr. Dobbs." The deep bass voice cut him off quickly. The door continued to swing open and Dobbs found himself staring into a pair of steely gray eyes. In the man's arms was the body of Louis Egon. Lifeless. Tom stood so fast his chair went crashing against the floor. In a half second, he was around the desk and at the man's side.

"Who are you? What happened to him? Why have you brought him here?"

"My name is Dunstan, and that is all you need to know about me. I was instructed to bring him here, Mr. Dobbs. I was instructed to do so by the same thing that happened to him. Tintagyl."

"Sarah..." Dobbs' face went ashen. She had already paid him a visit, and he knew that she would be going after Louis. The murders of William Worthington and Zoey Nichols had already confirmed that. He didn't expect she would find him so quickly, and he certainly didn't expect to see his lifeless body dumped on the floor before him.

Tom's eyes traced the lifeless body of his former handler and the former leader of Xaristan. Funeral plans were already running through his mind. The excuses for his death, the public service, everything. But then his eyes traced up to Louis' neck, noticing for the first time a pink ribbon tied around his neck, the ends dipped in blood. He swallowed slowly.

"Sarah put that ribbon around his neck?"

"Indeed, Mr. Dobbs. She said you would know what it meant and what it means for the future." With that, Dunstan turned and was gone as quickly as he came, leaving Dobbs alone with the dead body of the former leader and terrorist. Yes, he knew what it meant. He knew what it meant for everyone. "God damn you Louis. Do you realize what you have done?"

Standing slowly, Dobbs walked to the window behind his desk. It was clear in Redemptio now. The storms from earlier in the night had passed. But Tom knew that there was a larger storm gathering. There was a larger storm gathering and it was coming, not only for him, but for the entire world. He closed his eyes and looked down.

"Not even the gods could save us now," he whispered.