New Athens Speech Policy

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha it seems that the "bring it" or "do something about it" way is not so interesting when there is actually someone who would really Bring it :P

Well to be honest it was more of a Bring It! And I'll have my friends kick your $@! sort of Bring It!

Now this is an eye opener...

And here I thought people were fighting for Karma so that they could express themselves on these forums as they wished to...

Free from gag orders, not having to post "this is my opinion only, everything I say will not be held against my alliance", or anything of that kind.

:P

Well, the difference is that no-one is forcing Athens to do this. Alliances have always had the right to restrict their members' posting rights, most infamously ODN but GATO, Legion and NPO have also had well known periods of radio silence. And let's be honest, 'do something about it posters' are very annoying, so it's good that there will be less of them.

Well, the difference is that no-one is forcing Athens to do this. Alliances have always had the right to restrict their members' posting rights, most infamously ODN but GATO, Legion and NPO have also had well known periods of radio silence. And let's be honest, 'do something about it posters' are very annoying, so it's good that there will be less of them.

While you may be correct, I was merely pointing out how those Karma people who stated so many times over that they fought for the freedom to post whatever one likes, etc. are now cheering about Athens restricting their members' posting rights.

I, for one, don't care about anyone making the "do something about it" post.

If you're called out that easily, you're doing something wrong.

From now on, Athens members are forbidden to use the appeal to force in discourse on these venues. This essentially means that saying "bring it" or "do something about it" will not be tolerated as a means of communication. Violations of this which are brought to my attention will result in a 1 month posting ban on the OWF. Violations of the posting ban will result in expulsion.

We are doing this in an effort to improve the quality of discourse in this venue, and it is our hope that all alliances will similarly restrain themselves. Actual discussions are better than threats the vast majority of the time, and we are going to do our part to improve the standard of discourse here.

Thanks.

Meh. While "bring it" is used far too often around here there is certainly a time and a place for it.

Athens is a terrible alliance for forcing their members to actually explain their dissatisfaction instead of simply threatening those that they're arguing with. Poor show.

I struggle to find a scenario in which "bring it" is an appropriate response unless you're talking about a basket of goodies and you're headed to a picnic. I guess this could become pretty limiting to Athens members after all. :(

While you may be correct, I was merely pointing out how those Karma people who stated so many times over that they fought for the freedom to post whatever one likes, etc. are now cheering about Athens restricting their members' posting rights.

Things are a lot freeer around here even with this restriction. And really all Londo is doing here is warning his members to be polite or face consequences. Thats not such a bad thing is it?

Things are a lot freeer around here even with this restriction. And really all Londo is doing here is warning his members to be polite or face consequences. Thats not such a bad thing is it?

I'm not saying being polite is a bad thing, you should read my post again.

What I was saying, is that it is funny to see a lot of people that were so full of "free posting rights, etc." now making a 180 and cheering at Athens for restricting it. :P

I'm not saying being polite is a bad thing, you should read my post again.

What I was saying, is that it is funny to see a lot of people that were so full of "free posting rights, etc." now making a 180 and cheering at Athens for restricting it. :P

I think you're trying to make a comparison where none exists. The free posting rights that Karma would have been talking about was the right to disagree without being trolled, mocked, or curb stomped. This restriction has nothing to do with that kind of free speech. It doesn't have any affect on Athens' members ability to disagree, it just requires them to be polite about it.

Too bad this is initiated as an ad hoc PR move to soften the image of Athens and deflect hostility instead for its own merits. I do not find anything commendable about this announcement as the intent cheapens the effect.

this pretty much. with the recent actions and the fact that Athens could very well have been rolled by a larger alliance (yes we know CnG would defend them) but seriously, as a member of an alliance allied to Athens, this "mistake" was ridiculous and risking my alliance for such selfish, stupid and inane reasons just goes to show that Athens (and FoB for their allies) are not exactly that great of an ally. this cleanup is basically only to ensure that they don't act so stupid again. or at least hope. i am having serious doubts about Athens gov.

I'm sure GR and IAA love it as well.

honestly, i would have laughed and cheered Polaris. this has just proved that much more why i don't like Athens one bit.

I feel sorry for MK and IAA who will have to bear the blunt of Athens actions once again.

i am sorry as well, though not sure how IAA will bear the brunt of this? CnG will bear the brunt of this including IAA's other allies in CnG; =LOST= and GR (pretty much the only two alliances in CnG who did not talk much or at all about the stupidity that Athens is/did.)

This forum so needs an another Shark Week to keep up the quality, but I guess this is a good start or something.

heh, you mean more retarded tech raiding policies that are simply bully methods and then gloating about it after wards? i think we should "shark week" anyone who wants shark week...

I thought it was a given for the last ... oh, year or so, that anyone who tossed the "do something about it" line out was always wrong and not especially bright.

but don't you get it. Athens fought against NPO/Heg. thus, Athens can use the same and/or similar tactics as NPO/Heg but still say they are morally better than NPO/Heg. This is because "Athens' actions are not as bad as what NPO/Heg did"........

Edited by Dochartaigh

I think you're trying to make a comparison where none exists. The free posting rights that Karma would have been talking about was the right to disagree without being trolled, mocked, or curb stomped. This restriction has nothing to do with that kind of free speech. It doesn't have any affect on Athens' members ability to disagree, it just requires them to be polite about it.

I favour a policy that doesn't restrict me in any way, so I guess we'll never agree.

I like this post. Threatening allies' allies seems to be a tendency lately borne out of nothing more than a thirst for blood.

heh. i can't agree with this in this instance. Grub was simply stating that Polaris was gonna do what Athens did to KofN. he never once specifically said Athens was the target to my knowledge. and even if he did, i support Polaris over Athens in this matter since if Polaris "raided" Athens, it would only to watch as Athens states it is a DoW and all that. pretty much ensuring that Athens shows how hypocritical and stupid they were being.

heh. i can't agree with this in this instance. Grub was simply stating that Polaris was gonna do what Athens did to KofN. he never once specifically said Athens was the target to my knowledge. and even if he did, i support Polaris over Athens in this matter since if Polaris "raided" Athens, it would only to watch as Athens states it is a DoW and all that. pretty much ensuring that Athens shows how hypocritical and stupid they were being.

I wasn't actually mocking Grub and Polaris there. I was making fun of the fact that half of MK is currently wearing sigs that say Kill IAA, when as far as I know we are directly tied to them by almost a half dozen MDoAPs. ;)

Trust me we want to kill everyone.

It's fine, I don't particularly care if you want to kill IAA. We've had lots of people want to kill us over the years. I'm just pointing out a bit of hypocrisy. You can't really complain about being threatened by allies or allies' allies when doing the same yourself.

I wasn't actually mocking Grub and Polaris there. I was making fun of the fact that half of MK is currently wearing sigs that say Kill IAA, when as far as I know we are directly tied to them by almost a half dozen MDoAPs. ;)

sorry, i mistook what you said. and yes, i agree with the Kill IAA sigs that MK are wearing. but then again, it seems that MK has many hypocrites in their ranks.