So, uh, Athens...

Penkala

so again it has resorted to "NPO DID WORSE AND ARE MOAR EBIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" argument? that in no way justifies what Athens did, nor does it prevent what they did from being bad. just because NPO did worse cannot be a justification for allowing crap like this to exist.... that is the mindset that i thought many fought against in the Karma war.

to bad that it never lasts. i am vastly becoming ashamed of having supported the Karma war since it seems that many who fought for Karma were nothing but wannabes taking out the top alliances in order to conduct slightly less "ebil" actions than their predecessors.

Sorry to interfere, but what I think Seth was saying was just that athens is NOT a mini-NpO, and the mistakes done by the two AAs were of different magnitude.

I think people should calm down now. I am reading from athens/fob people threads saying that their action was a mistake. I guess we all should learn our lessons and move on.

edit: grammar

Edited by King Louis the II

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just resorted to that, I didn't. I agree this was a stupid mistake, and one they will learn from based on their allies' responses even, but it was a lapse in judgment. That doesn't even compare to the intentional political moves of NPO, as i was attempting to explain in my previous post.

actually you stated that what Athens did was not bad since it was not as bad as NPO.

If Athens had the huge list of abuse and manipulation--of allies and of enemies--that NPO did when they attempted to apologize, then maybe this would seem credible to me.

from this incident alone, we have seen Athens abuse several treaties simply by neglect of communication (something with which i hear NPO did often) when they "tech raided" KofN. i also remember NPO stating their actions would result in anything negative for their allies (gee, Londo said that as well).

then there is the manipulation of the event/abuse that Athens did to TSI in that whole spy incident.

gee, i think i am seeing a clear patter of Athens actions when compared to that of NPO....

Sorry to interfere, but what I think Seth was saying was just that athens is NOT a mini-NpO, and the mistakes done by the two AAs were of different magnitude.

I think people should calm down now. I am reading from athens/fob people threads saying that their action was a mistake. I guess we all should learn our lessons and move on.

edit: grammar

and how many times did NPO say those same words?

Please.

Is this considered a "mistake" because the action was wrong or because of the backlash? My hunch is with the latter.

it seems that many who fought for Karma were nothing but wannabes taking out the top alliances in order to conduct slightly less "ebil" actions than their predecessors

Please.

Is this considered a "mistake" because the action was wrong or because of the backlash? My hunch is with the latter.

My opinion was because was wrong. By the way my AA do not allow us tech raids. But we also do not interfere in our allies business.

In this particular case, my PERSONAL oppinion is that Athens/FoB made a mistake,. It was good that they recognized it. Period. I dont know if there will be reps or something. I think the anger was justified at the begining but not now. Unless an alliance want to use this a motive to pursuit their pollitical agenda.

Please.

It's considered a mistake because it put people the alliances cared about in a bad position. Athens and FoB are raiding alliances, they won't let morals get pushed onto their plates at dinner. However, they almost brought war to their allies and for that they are sorry. With foresight into this neither would have went through with it.

Your definition of "wrong" on morals is entirely subjective and can not be universally applied.

My opinion was because was wrong. By the way my AA do not allow us tech raids. But we also do not interfere in our allies business.

In this particular case, my PERSONAL oppinion is that Athens/FoB made a mistake,. It was good that they recognized it. Period. I dont know if there will be reps or something. I think the anger was justified at the begining but not now. Unless an alliance want to use this a motive to pursuit their pollitical agenda.

Well we have made mistakes and we are trying to make amends, yet its treated as PR or something sinister. Yet Athens makes a mistake and they get off with just an apology.

So your past sins are only ever forgiven if you say sorry then? Its more important to use fancy words than to prove it with actions? Ok then, just so we are clear on this, an apology is all that is required for the worlds forgiveness?

Well we have made mistakes and we are trying to make amends, yet its treated as PR or something sinister. Yet Athens makes a mistake and they get off with just an apology.

So your past sins are only ever forgiven if you say sorry then? Its more important to use fancy words than to prove it with actions? Ok then, just so we are clear on this, an apology is all that is required for the worlds forgiveness?

The difference is that you have a long history of "mistakes"

The difference is that you have a long history of "mistakes"

Ok, you keep saying this, implying that Athens only made one mistake, this one. Yet Londo apologized for quite a few things that he and his alliance had done, none of which were this incident. Seems like a history to me.

It's considered a mistake because it put people the alliances cared about in a bad position. Athens and FoB are raiding alliances, they won't let morals get pushed onto their plates at dinner. However, they almost brought war to their allies and for that they are sorry. With foresight into this neither would have went through with it.

Your definition of "wrong" on morals is entirely subjective and can not be universally applied.

I'm calling BS on this one.

If everyone had bought the "it's merely an alliance wide tech raid" line then it would be all rainbows and unicorns.

Now we're supposed to believe that this so called alliance wide planned tech raid happened on a whim with absolutely no foresight or thought of the consequences?

No one had any problem applying a universal moral of wrongness when the NPO would attack a smaller alliance. Sorry to bring this back around to the NPO but geez man, you guys flip more that John Kerry.

. . . If everyone had bought the "it's merely an alliance wide tech raid" line then it would be all rainbows and unicorns. . . . No one had any problem applying a universal moral of wrongness when the NPO would attack a smaller alliance. Sorry to bring this back around to the NPO but geez man, you guys flip more that John Kerry.

People say what is convenient at any given time. This goes for Pacifica as well as for any small alliance, be they raiders or pacifists. If it is convenient to use a certain incident that is objectionable in the eyes of the world for the purpose of advancing one's own cause, that's called "politics."

Edit: excuse the double post, sil-vous plait.

Edited by Achilleus

No, I do not; but I find it interesting that you didn't respond to the point: what's the problem?

I think that the problem here is, they did have a treaty (that while M*A*S*H had no record of, technically wasn't cancelled), which would be putting your allies in bad spots. Also, that Londo back-pedelled faster than an olympic athlete trying to go for an outrageous goal of fastest backwards biker, and that Athens decried the same actions they partook of here with this "raid."

Also the fact that many do not consider this a raid, but simply a war, that had no CB and also could have possibly put your allies in a bad spot.

Basically the problem was/is, people disagree with this action in general, and Athens and FoB are like "we can do what we want, if you hate it you should do something about it" until gov't later came out and said "We're sorry, but you're all dishonourable for hating our raid."