Motu Propio on the Church in Rome

Gnost Dural

LITTERA APOSTOLICA

MOTU PROPIO DATAE

SUMMI PONTIFICIS

Benedictus PP. XVII

POPULO ROMANO

DE ECCLESIA IN URBE ROMAE

Since the earliest history of Christianity, the city of Rome has always held a special place in the life of the Church. The city in which the great saints Peter, the first pope, and Paul were martyred has for nearly two thousand years been the spiritual and secular home of the Church. Any faithful representation of the Holy Church in CyberNations RP would require that Rome be accorded the same honour and glory she has earned in the real world. For this reason, I have chosen for the Catholic Church in the CyberNations RP world a permanent home in this ancient city, from which all affairs of the Church will be administered.

The spiritual well-being of the faithful in Rome being of primary concern for the Roman Pontiff as bishop of Rome, I have created a diocese, over which the Roman Pontiff will exercise direct control, comprising all of Rome. The cathedral church of this diocese shall be the Basilica of St. John Lateran while the Basilica of St. Peter will be the center of the global Church.

It is with great joy that I extend a warm welcome to all those people and groups who have likewise chosen to reside in Rome. The Church, in keeping with Christian tradition, seeks to cooperate peacefully with the all the people of Rome for the betterment of the city. Though the Church and the secular world were in conflict for three centuries, it is my sincerest hope that there be no need to inflict such tragedy on a nascent world. It is with this most ancient order that the Church desires a strong mutual friendship built on understanding for the benefit of Rome and all her people.

The mission given by Christ to his Church through the apostles is one of a spiritual nature. As such, I establish that at no time shall the Church seek political control of any city either through election or other means. I further establish that no clergy member shall be permitted to seek any public civil office. This restriction refers to the Church as an institution comprised of her clerical members. Lay members of the Church, those not belonging to any religious or clerical order, being free to hold secular professions are not bound by this prohibition. It is through this special injunction that I wish to impress upon the Church the pastoral nature of its role in the world.

Given in Rome, at St Peter's, on 4 November 2009, in the first year of My Pontificate.