A startling realization

thenb

** Private Discussions **

President Lashir Rakshana = Lashir

General Howitzer = Howe

Lashir: You know, perhaps we could get along with these people

Howe: What people sir?

Lashir: The South Africans. Elections are coming up soon, and it would look great if we made the nationalists look worse then they already are

Howe: What did you have in mind sir?

Lashir: I want to talk with South Africa. Its time we stop bickering so we can get back to our main objective, ** CLASSIFIED **.

Howe: Very well sir. I will have someone send a teleconference invite.

** Message to South Africa **

TO: South Africa
ENCRYPTION: Lev 3(normal)
We would like to invite you to a teleconference, tonight at 9 PM local time, so that we may discuss a peaceful solution to the growing tensions.
ATTACHMENTS (1)
-- Teleconference Invite

"Well recently, our relations have been in a free-fall. This is not how it should be in my opinion. We may have our disagreements, but our two great countries share the same geography, ethnicity, and culture. I realize that in the past I have been a bit confrontational, so I wish that we should change that, and begin working together to improve our great region."

"As a matter of fact I do. I suggest we sign a Mutual Defense Pact between us. We will also officially recognize your protectorate claims of Zaire and Angola, and help with administration if requested. There is also one more thing that I would like to address..."

As you know, the border between Madagascar and us is less then 170 nautical miles, meaning we both share the exclusive economic zone. We suspect there may be oil reserves there, and would like regional support, both for us and the republic, if we do find some there, so it will better benefit us and not the greedy middle-easterners.

As you know, the border between Madagascar and us is less then 170 nautical miles, meaning we both share the exclusive economic zone. We suspect there may be oil reserves there, and would like regional support, both for us and the republic, if we do find some there, so it will better benefit us and not the greedy middle-easterners.

"If the oil is in your lands, then it is obviously yours. If it is within the territorial waters of Madagascar and the Kuwaiti Emirate, then the oil is theirs, simple as that. If there is a disagreement, South Africa will do its best to mediate a solution."

"I'm not sure if that was said correctly. According to the law of the sea, territorial waters exist 10-20 miles from the coast, and an exclusive economic zone extends for an additional 200 (all nautical miles). However, the sea between us is 170 nautical miles, so we share the economic zone. That is where the issue is."

"I'm not sure if that was said correctly. According to the law of the sea, territorial waters exist 10-20 miles from the coast, and an exclusive economic zone extends for an additional 200 (all nautical miles). However, the sea between us is 170 nautical miles, so we share the economic zone. That is where the issue is."

"Ah, I see. That does present a problem doesn't it? What evidence do you have that there is oil there?"

"At the moment, there are a few small proven oil reserves, and speculation that there may be some rather large ones. The area currently being explored is 65 miles out from our coast, and we would just like assurances that if the Kuwaitis try to claim it as theirs, we will have a third party that will be able to implement the law, as it is significantly closer to us."

"We'll see what we can do. Currently we have no way of enforcing it anyway, as our navy is under construction. That being said, we will make sure arbitration takes precedence and that no violence will befall the region because of oil fields. That being said, we never leave our allies behind."

"You know, we possess a few battleships and destroyers, but perhaps we should work together to build something bigger, like say an aircraft carrier. We could involve the republic as well. With 3 people working on it, it will take a fraction of the time.

"You know, we possess a few battleships and destroyers, but perhaps we should work together to build something bigger, like say an aircraft carrier. We could involve the republic as well. With 3 people working on it, it will take a fraction of the time.

"This could be a good idea. The Republic and ourselves were working on starting some co-prosperity projects, perhaps now we can work all together, for economic and security of the southern end of Africa."

"Rather excellent. I think we should form some sort of regional organization, such as the Southern African Union, so we can coordinate efforts such as peacekeeping, fighting AIDS, and regional economic and military projects. What do you think?"