Liga Mundo - Season 7

Botha

I know 6 team leagues wouldn't work for us Botha, i was just satirizing PremierApex's indecision about the format of the league. It seems every time I look at this forum a new format is proposed. I seriously think we should resolve to stick with whatever format is decided now for at least three seasons, or at least until such time as there is substantial expansion before changing anything again.

Anyway it seems we are decided for the 3x10 now. :)

Edited by Kevinho

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-season Liga Mundo Elo Ratings:

(Using a slight variation of the World Football Elo Ratings. Teams were originally ranked on season 6 finish, with our three new teams all ranked 28th. Pre-season 7 friendlies have been scored and added. Becasue of the small statistical base, 30 teams and no more than 5 friendlies per team, the rankings are subject to major fluctuations until approximately 30 matches per team have been played.. so by end of season 7, ratings will be considered accurate)

1. VolNation Volunteers 1290

2. Atletico Luz Del Mar 1272

3. Arcadia FC 1270

4. Transvaal Springboks 1261

5. 1984 Duckies 1237

6. Swamplandia Sinners 1228

7. FC Jekeger 1224

8. Spartak MK 1222

9. Voobaha National 1220

10. SiPS 1217

11. Estrella Roja 1214

12. Keville United FC 1212

13. Dun Carrig Bohs 1193

14. Texas 1192

15. Dinamo Sano 1191

16. A.M. Adepts FC 1183

17. Irlande 1178

18. Nordheim Badgers FC 1177

19. Atletica Vinilandes 1174

20. PEI FC 1173

21. Atletico Melloria 1172

22. S Team 1160

23. Compostela Artois 1135

24. RMI Armed Forces FC 1116

25. El Entrego 1115

26. Redemptio Reds 1109

27. Jianada United 1102

Edited after consultation on correct set up and variables in ELO formula. This will be format used for this ranking.

Edited by Voobaha

Pre-season Liga Mundo Elo Ratings:

(Using a slight variation of the World Football Elo Ratings. Teams were originally ranked on season 6 finish, with our three new teams all ranked 28th. Pre-season 7 friendlies have been scored and added. Becasue of the small statistical base, 30 teams and no more than 5 friendlies per team, the rankings are subject to major fluctuations until approximately 30 matches per team have been played.. so by end of season 7, ratings will be considered accurate)

1. VolNation Volunteers 56.872

2. Arcadia FC 49.070

3. Transvaal Springboks 46.424

4. Athletico Luz Del Mar 43.199

5. Spartak MK 36.489

6. SiPS 26.299

7. Estrella Roja 25.036

8. FC Jekerger 15.990

9. 1984 Duckies FC 12.594

10. Atletica Vinilandes 8.000

11. Dinamo Samo 7.25

12. Irlande 6.923

13. Swamplandia Sinners 1.668

14. Texas 1.000

15. Voobaha National 0.350

16. Boltonia 0.000

16. Estrellapuerto FC 0.000

16. FC Franzharia 0.000

16. S Team 0.000

20. El Entrego -9.231

21. Keville United FC -10.364

22. Compostela Artois -14.500

23. Jianada United -15.714

24. Dun Carrig Bohs -17.061

25. A.M. Adepts FC -32.502

26. PEI FC -34.251

27. Nordheim Badgers FC -52.479

28. Redemptio Reds -53.027

29. Atletico Melloria -54.504

30. RMI Armed Forces FC -89.318

I like this, though I wouldn't include Friendlies in the ratings, only competitive matches.

I like this, though I wouldn't include Friendlies in the ratings, only competitive matches.

FIFA does count friendlies. In this modified Elo, friendlies are weighted lower than league matches, cup preliminaries and cup finals.

Also.. the next update will remove our departed teams... Boltonia, FC Franzharia, and Estrellapuerto FC.

Zulu warriors on the move

Transvaal Springboks made an interesting and intriguing move today when 18-year-old fullback Dingiswayo Ngwane was released so that his younger brother, 16-year-old junior prospect Cetshwayo Ngwane could be signed in his place. Dingiswayo then promptly signed a contract with NVK Kaapstad Hornets of the Nordreich Liga.

“The move is win-win for everyone concerned” explained a beaming Manager Bartnel Botha – who manages both South African-based CN-X11 clubs.

“After signing Nathan Archibald, we had our defense set in stone for the coming season. However we then got word from Dingiswayo that his younger brother Cetshwayo (whose name begins with one of the ‘click’ sounds Zulu is famous for) had graduated and was looking to move up to senior-level football.”

“We checked out the kid during off-season trials and were amazed by his heading ability and coolness on the pitch, traits which both brothers possess. Unfortunately we had no room to take on yet another fullback-in-training.”

“After some discussion with Dingiswayo, and to my surprise, he offered to give up his spot on the Springboks to Cetshwayo if I would in turn find him a spot with another X11 team based in Africa – be it Kaapstad Hornets or Windhoek Welwitschia. The Wels had no need for him but I definitely had a spot for him with the Hornets, and immediately inked him to a deal right then and there.”

As Dingiswayo Ngwane told the press after the deals were announced: “Cetshwayo belongs in Liga Mundo, there’s no doubt about that – and he will be a better player than I could ever hope to be in Liga Mundo – plus he’s got a two-year head start on me. I felt under the circumstances, I wanted to ensure my brother had the opportunity to better himself by playing in Liga Mundo. Meanwhile, I have enjoyed my chance to play against the very best with the Spirngboks and in the Primera – including a match against my hero and inspiration, Lois Luis – and I felt that I had a greater opportunity now waiting for me with Kaapstad where I will immediately become a starting player alongside Eugene Tchami, another young African fullback junior who is making a name for himself in the Nordreich Liga. By remaining in Liga Mundo, I would be holding back the Springboks. By joining the Nordreich Liga, I can make an immediate impact.”

Liga Mundo scouts on the African continent have already got Cetshwayo pegged down for future greatness.

“This boy is hands down the most valuable piece of talent the Springboks have right now after Detlef Botha.”

A 16/4 who is a good header and cool? No hidden SQ's? You have great luck, Botha.

Yup, nothing negative. I cut a player worth $500,000 and pick up one the exact same skill (but 2 years younger) worth $9,000,000.

(Makes up for the loser goalie prospect I got offered a few months ago that was moody, fragile, and a diva)

Needless to say, I kakked my pants.

Edited by Botha

United Ready for New Season

The controversy of the long summer break has been replaced in the Kevodian sports pages by a new controversy: Is Terry Variables the right man to take United forward? After a dismal summer of friendlies in which Keville lost 4-0 to Primera newcomers FC Jerkerger in the unofficial MHA cup and drew with Tercera club Compostela Artois and the Segunda's Dun Carrig Bohs, confidence in the managerial regime at Wooley Drive is low among a voiciferious group of fans. £4m signing Vladlislav Grebennikov was also controversially offloaded during the summer for only £1.25m after only two appearances.

The Sporting Gazette interviewed United Chairman Peter Bald: 'Its been an experimental off season for sure but we are confident Terry is the man to come up with the goods. We're expecting a tough season but remember this is the guy that won the K-League 5 times then got us up to Primera in our first Liga season and kept us up last season. Don't forget the new shirt is out in the club shop priced only £39.99!'

Variables himself commented, 'Ok so things didn't work out with Vladislav but overall our squad is looking better for the new season. The lads are improving all the time and we are definitely going in the right direction. We picked up new lad Azad Urmia over the summer and he looks like being a great prospect for the future. We're going to have to fight for our position in the Primera again this season and we aren't fancied by the bookies but we know this division better now and I think we can aim for 5th or 6th at least.'

Some in the papers are still speculating that Keville may end up having to go down to go up, after the first release of the new ELO rankings put the club 21st. This has now been revised to 12th, still three places lower than a Primera position. Meanwhile the K-League bosses approved of the new Tuesday 21:00 match time for LM, noting that the midweek scheduling was less likely to cause 'fan fatigue' reducing attendance at their traditional Saturday 15:00 games, though all midweek K-League matches will now move to Wednesday nights. With higher TV audiences expected, it looks like an interesting season in the public eye for Variables' men.

Edited by Kevinho

So new format every season, new matchtimes...

Bah.

Well, 21:00 for me is... 7am in the morning. Well, I guess I'll leave my computer on hibernate and check in the morning for a nice, or crappy, wake-up call.

Last year the match time was about 3:00 in the morning for myself. This is much better.

Wow, the champions dropped a 4-1 clunker to the lowly Adepts! Perhaps the same curse that struck us after our title is now switched its attention to Arcadia.

Also props and kudos to fellow Nordreichers Nordheim Badgers for a nice win in their LM debut.

Wow, cupset of the week AM Adepts v Arcadia! This is why I love cups. Can Arcadia haul them over 4-0 in the return leg?

Mind you, an early cup exit can help a team, with less exposure to injury etc. I know exiting the second cup competition last season helped me out.

Mind you, an early cup exit can help a team, with less exposure to injury etc. I know exiting the second cup competition last season helped me out.

Exactly, which is why I tend to bail when I run up against decent opposition. I use the cup as training matches. An early exit in Season 5 was a huge reason why I ended up winning the league title.

Exactly, which is why I tend to bail when I run up against decent opposition. I use the cup as training matches. An early exit in Season 5 was a huge reason why I ended up winning the league title.

Couldn't agree more, cups are a good chance to give youngsters a chance to play in a game that counts.

And Arcadian Empire, I too thought the match report suggested you were better than a 4-1 loss. But A.M. Adepts used their chances to score. ;)

And Arcadian Empire, I too thought the match report suggested you were better than a 4-1 loss. But A.M. Adepts used their chances to score.

OK so I bought the tactics report to satisfy my curiousity. Everything the public report says indicates that Arcadia should have been all over Adepts like fat kids are with smarties.

But looking at the full tactics report, my guesses here are Adept's 4-man midfield pressure somehow (strong form?) were able to exploit Arcadia's 5-man pressure because the Adept's midfield was by far their best line. 3 of adepts 4 midfielders had career matches.

Plus Arcadia were playing 4-5-1 which can backfire on the attack (i.e. teh goals skorings) if the midfield is neutralised and can't help out the lone attacker, which Adepts seemed to do judging from their possession. Arcadia also played wing plays so Adepts keeper Bob Gayle must have been having a field day with those (even though his game rating wasn't nothing outstanding).

But in other aspects, Arcadia guessed Adepts tactics smartly enough (prepared and their defensive strategy countered Adepts offensive strategy) that the scoreline *should* have been a lot closer.

Someone mentioned about home field advantage, that too could be a major factor. Just ask VolNation about Loftus Versfeld.

Edited by Botha