Alliance Sovereignty and Messaging

Jyrinx

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want to see what the consensus is for these.

If you are a government member acting in official capacity for your government, does messaging an alliance's members for the following reasons constitute an infringement on that alliance's sovereignty?

1) Messaging to vote for a senate candidate, when the alliance member is located off-team (not on the alliance's team)

For example, you're blue and there's a member of a predominately aqua alliance in your blue trade circle right now. Would it infringe on said aqua alliance's sovereignty to message this member and ask him to vote for your alliance's blue senator?

2) Messaging to vote for a(nother) senate candidate, when the alliance member is located on-team (located on the alliance's team)

Similar to 1) but the instead of it being an aqua alliance, the guy is in a predominately blue alliance. Would it infringe on said blue alliance's sovereignty to ask him to vote for a blue senator other than the one his alliance officially supports?

3) Situation 1 but with mass messaging

Instead of messaging a specific person you know or are in a trade circle with, you message indiscriminately everyone in an orange team alliance but only if they're on the blue team. In the message you ask them to vote for your blue team senator.

4) Situation 2 but with mass messaging

Self-explanatory

5) Messaging a friend or other specific nation you know in another alliance, asking them to switch over to either your or another alliance

(OOC: By "friend" here, I mean a nation you know through playing the game, not someone you know in real life. I don't think anybody in their right mind would seriously consider you asking a co-worker or significant other to switch to your alliance being questionable behavior)

6) Mass Messaging all members in another alliance, asking them to switch over to either your or another alliance

7) Situation 6 but said alliance has either just or is in the process of disbanding/merging AND you DID have something to do with the previous alliance

For example, Alliance A merges with Alliance B. You don't like B and, as you are a member of A, decide to officially leave A and either form your own alliance or join another existing alliance. You mass message everyone still on A telling them to come to your alliance.

8) Situation 6 but said alliance has either just or is in the process of disbanding/merging AND you had nothing to do with the alliance before

Edited by Jyrinx

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of that has anything to do with sovereignty. Though you might think so if you considered nations the property of their alliance. Well that's not true... rulers rightfully consider their nations property and such messages still aren't violations of sovereignty for a nation without an alliance. Yeah, none of that has anything to do with sovereignty.

Edited by Sal Paradise

Someone is trying to play e-lawyer.

"Infringe on sovereignty?" Probably not. But it's extremely rude and provocative. That's enough.

If I wanted to know whether people thought it was rude and provocative, I would've asked that in the poll. ;)

No, what I'm curious about is how predominant a view it is that those situations are all out infringements on sovereignty. Getting a few explanations for the responses would be cool too.

Edited by Jyrinx

Please explain why an alliance has this right.

I understand the reasoning that the NSO used during the whole scandal, but I still don't like that they were doing it. It speaks volumes about the amount of respect that the NSO held for the neutrals and was essentially a slap in the face to them. Twist it what ever way you want, it was uncalled for.

and was essentially a slap in the face to them.

If that's true then I guess we have something in common, no?

Anyways, voted none, can't wait for the inevitable trainwreck.

I voted for the last option.

I think that members of an alliance are citizens, not subjects, and that asking/proposing anything to them isn't infringing on their alliance's sovereignty.

That alliance is also within its rights to take offence for it, anyway, and to "do something" about it. Any CB is good for the people in the military... :D

Bypassing the diplomatic route and an alliance's leadership to contact the membership directly over matters that an alliance deals with (tech selling, senate voting, etc.) is poor form in my opinion and any alliance suffering this has every right to be cheesed off.

However it's one of those things that has always happened and unfortunately nine times out of ten it's dealt with completely the wrong way. "That's not the way things are done" is increasingly become an obsolete argument.

Voted a resounding meh, or none of the above. At the most I could see that it would be infringing the country's "personal" sovereignty but not the Alliance's1.

Senate: well there is probably some Alliance-wide request/order to vote for one particular candidate, and if the member is moved to vote for some one else then s/he either has a will of their own (good!) or their Alliance has failed to make them understand what to do and why (bad!).

Change Alliance: if the member is so influenced by that message that he leaves for another Alliance, then he and/or the original Alliance really was not fit for each other so who cares? Let them leave.

1unless it happens to be Purple, when apparently saying hello counts as a horrible offense against good taste and decency