Twenty Rules Regarding Any RPG

ChairmanHal

Twenty Rules Regarding Any RPG

1. If it isn't fun any more, don't play it.

2. You fight the gamemaster/dungeon master, you lose.

3. No one likes a munchkin, but they will use the exploits they find anyway.

4. No one likes a rules lawyer. They friggen hate anyone that trys to disguise munckinism as rules lawyering.

5. The game was always better when you started playing, specifically when you first realized you had a grasp of the basic rules.

6. Hate the character, not the player or the game.

7. If you want continuous action without any build up of anticipation or plot, go play Pac-Man or MarioKart.

8. If you hate your alliance/gaming group, find one that you do like, don't stick around to screw people first.

9. As a rule, mixing RL romance and your gaming results in a train wreck...yes there are exceptions, but they only serve to prove the rule and result in you being confronted with rule #1, #6 and/or #8.

10. There is dedicated and then there is addicted--if you don't know the difference, you probably have a problem.

11. Gathering intelligence to "win" a RPG battle/war does not include having an alliance/gaming group member with "certain skills" dive into another player's personal life for dirt.

12. Sexual harassment is not ok, nor ever excusable as being "in character". Also see Rule #9.

13. It's perfectly acceptable to roleplay a walking, talking "richard" with ears--don't be pissed off when people decide to roleplay your destroyer.

14. Not everyone will take the game will an equal level of seriousness or levity...deal with it.

15. When someone yells 'stop' OOC, we stop.

16. Beer and RPGs almost never mix--unless they result in something so hilarious it is remembered through the ages.

17. If you are paying RL money for gaming materials/bonuses in game you help to keep the game alive. That is not however your ticket to insist on special treatment/access as a "paying customer".

18. If the RPG developer isn't working on developing a RPG regularly, that game is dead.

19. If a RPG isn't being marketed, it's dead or soon will be...note: all players are members of the marketing team. If the game fails, it is partially because you didn't do your job.

20. Learn something about people or about yourself when you play a RPG. You chose to play a RPG not because you have lightning reflexes or because you can memorize some long string of joystick movements. You did it because your brain requires something more stimulating than a graphics card can provide.

Assuming you made it to the bottom of this list, you probably have your own additions to it. Go for it. I look forward to your entries.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah very good list, and it's really works to any RPG, I know because I already had played so many of them(Vampire the mask, GURPS, D&D, Ultima Online, Linage 2...).

I can add a good rule I think:

* RPGs doesn't have an end so remember that you play to have fun not to win or lose.

9. As a rule, mixing RL romance and your gaming results in a train wreck...yes there are exceptions, but they only serve to prove the rule and result in you being confronted with rule #1, #6 and/or #8.
23. Life isn't fair. Neither are RPGs. Get over it.

In reviewing these rules - Finster, I don't think it can work out between us.

Edited by Gopherbashi

Rule 16 fails. Beer always mixes with everything.

I'd agree with you, but rule 16 does allow for the exception of beer for the purpose of epicness that is remembered forever.

In otherwords, drunkposting on the CN forums, generally a bad idea. Drunkposting on the CN forums something extraordinarily interesting, good idea.

Same thing applies with tabletop RPGs (which is what these rules seem to be aimed at, not video game RPGs). People getting drunk just to get drunk at the game table can be very annoying, however there are always the drunken acts that you and your friends will talk about for years that make it worth it from time to time.

I'd agree with you, but rule 16 does allow for the exception of beer for the purpose of epicness that is remembered forever.

In otherwords, drunkposting on the CN forums, generally a bad idea. Drunkposting on the CN forums something extraordinarily interesting, good idea.

Same thing applies with tabletop RPGs (which is what these rules seem to be aimed at, not video game RPGs). People getting drunk just to get drunk at the game table can be very annoying, however there are always the drunken acts that you and your friends will talk about for years that make it worth it from time to time.

I guess this is some merit to that... I think back to the amount of beer I injested when I was posting that one ..... :unsure:

every time.... :)

No, it isn't. At best, it's tolerant of those that would like to RP here.

So IRL, your name is 'DragonsPhyre'...that must make for some interesting business cards. :lol1:

I will grant you that some of you are absolutely horrible improvisational actors, you table talk more than you realize, and that the game lacks traditional GM/DM/computer run non-player characters enemies, but in all other aspects it is a RPG.

EDIT: clarity ftw

Edited by ChairmanHal

I will grant you that some of you are absolutely horrible improvisational actors, you table talk more than you realize, and that the game lacks traditional GM/DM/computer run non-player characters enemies, but in all other aspects it is a RPG.

Sure. We have 'characters', if you want to call them that, those being the nation rulers. There's a technical divide between IC and OOC that's semi-enforced. And you could argue that there is a meaningful fictional setting all this takes place in, with a RP-based ruleset (of a sort). But the important part is missing. The community isn't that of an RPG, both in the administration of the game and of the general membership. The majority of those playing CN do not separate in-game and out-of-game identities and thus the reasoning for their actions is not that of their characters, but of the players behind them. Alliances such as the OBR are a welcome sight to see, but they're a minority, a rare gem in a field of sand and cacti.

It's not a roleplaying game.