Militarisation of Top 20 Alliances

Eamon Valda

An interesting way to actually measure the speed and breadth of "militarization" (dirty Brits) as such, would to be measure the change of the "meaningless" stats (tanks, soldiers, CMs) from a pre-war to war timeframe.

A rate of mobilis- oh wait, non-British - mobilization, perhaps?

@Kowalski: I admit that is the major flaw with any use of these rankings to determine which alliance would be better than another during war time (something I never intended to provided an answer to). I think, however, that it does provide an idea of which alliances have the most long-term military weaponry (and thus, hypothetically, will be more ready for battle). Moreover, thinking of Cortath's point, it is not only this but the regular units which matter. However, the regular units can be purchased rapidly. In a war situation, purchasing them rapidly and deploying them correctly is equally important to other factors.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting way to actually measure the speed and breadth of "militarization" (dirty Brits) as such, would to be measure the change of the "meaningless" stats (tanks, soldiers, CMs) from a pre-war to war timeframe.

While that would be cool, it would be extremely difficult to measure, especially since it rarely happens and it's difficult to pinpoint the exact time that militarization starts.

none of this matters until a war.......... :mellow:

Yes it does. The more you can bring to the table come war time, the less likely a conflict is to break out into a war.

Edited by flak attack

Faulty statistics are faulty.

Militarisation Sum------ Per Nation------------Per Infra.

224,878.3--------------1,031.5---------- 1,017.4

Using TOP as an example. You're implying that TOP has 221 units of infrastructure, when they have 10,000 times that number. It should be per 10,000 units of infrastructure. Secondly, please format it so it doesn't come out so atrocious looking. Thirdly, please use a decimal seperator of some sort this is a pain to look at. Finally, significant figures.

Edited by Blacky

You know what would be a good statistic to measure military competence?

If admin installed a tool which measures how many alliance members attacked within 30 minutes of update time.

How about how many declared within 30 minutes of each other? The 30 minutes of update wouldn't take into account things like the servers going down during every major war, or alliances like FOK who aren't on at game update times.

Also, I don't see a single applicable use to the op, and like Jack said, there are alliances outside of the top 20 score wise that could do a lot more damage than those within it, and have much better militarization stats.

Faulty statistics are faulty.

Militarisation Sum------ Per Nation------------Per Infra.

224,878.3--------------1,031.5---------- 1,017.4

Using TOP as an example. You're implying that TOP has 221 units of infrastructure, when they have 1,000 times that number. It should be per 10,000 units of infrastructure. Secondly, please format it so it doesn't come out so atrocious looking. Thirdly, please use a decimal seperator of some sort this is a pain to look at. Finally, significant figures.

edit: >_> wall of digits...

Please read my end notes. It's not 1000 times that number but 10,000 times. I multiplied it for direct comparison to per nation.

These stats look good, got their statistical weakness, but still informative, can you extend them for the the top 50 alliance?

I can, I think. It'll take some more work, obviously, but I think it's a good idea. I will update it sometime this weekend then try to do half-weekly/weekly updates to show changes in data.

Well, it's pretty and a nice try.

But given all the unknowns and unknowables it isn't much more useful than what we're provided with by the standard NS and score.

As an expression of frustration with the present game statistical failings it has some value.

Wish we had an in game statistical history, that would be very useful.

Some kind of discussion on implementing a separate economic and military statistic would be interesting. Problem is that Admin has put WC off limits for consideration in stats. WC makes a big difference in war outcomes and it's the big invisible.

Glad to see Mobilization considered. Wonders, trades and improvements are important to performance too but that really has to be evaluated nation by nation rather than summary.

With all the manual guessing and data gathering necessary I don't see this being an effort that can be sustained for very long.

With all the manual guessing and data gathering necessary I don't see this being an effort that can be sustained for very long.

It will take about 2-4 hours a week with 50 alliances, I am guessing. I am using spreadsheets to speed up calculation, so in that sense, it won't be too long. But it's something fun to do when I have nothing else to do.

As for the mobilisation index idea, I think it's a cool thought. I am not sure how it would be precisely done, but I have an idea. Question remaining is whether I can make it a numerical value (continuous variable) or just a ranking (ordinal variable). Either works, I guess. Hardest part will be data collection if I try to do this. Obviously it would require a lot of guesswork on how quickly any given alliance could mobilise, and it would be just an estimate, but if it could be done well, combined with this militarisation rating, we could guess how ready an alliance could be for a war (which is very useful data, if you ask me).