Soldiers

Subtleknifewielder

Hannah groaned aloud as she lifted her head up from the pillow, there was no real pain, but she still felt a bit groggy as she looked over her surroundings. This was followed but a long sigh and a punch against the wall, once again for the second time in only six months Hannah found herself in a prison cell. Almost just as furnished as the one she had been kept at in the Eggman Empire. Sitting up, she stretched her arms and shook her head. "Well this is just perfect, just absolutely perfect." She said angrily, though in essence there wasn't much she could do either and there wasn't much her captors could do besides letting her starve and in the time it would take for that, the Commonwealth would be knocking on the Promised Lander doors to bring it down.

Getting off of the bed, Hannah removed her uniform, comfortable in a tank top and her pants as she walked over to the sink to rinse her face off a few times, getting rid of the tiredness in her eyes and clean herself off. After this, there really wasn't much else to do. The Potentate walked back over to the bed and laid back, her arms behind her head as she stared at the door. Now it was time to play the waiting game and see if whomever had placed her in this box would either cooperate with her or if she was going to have to begin planning her escape. Though that would take sometime that she really didn't feel like dedicating. Hannah simply laid back, cracking her fingers and knuckles, a smile across her face as she waited for a sign of life.

The single guard outside heard the General moving around. While the door was made of solid steel, there was a small window about head height, enough to enable communication if that was what was wanted, but not enough for much more than a hand to fit through. Smiling, he waved at the single camera that was pointed at his post, pointing at the cell and mouthing the words 'she's awake' to make sure those goons in security got the message.

That duty done for the moment, he cheerfully strode up to to the door and looked in. "Excellent, you're awake. From what I hear, you gave our leader Artemis quite a pounding, even after he hit you with an enhanced punch. Truly impressive, considering he's trained for situations like these for two full years. Though his youthful inexperience might have played a part in your surprising him."

His cheerfulness vanished a moment later. "So how does it feel to know you beat up a 15-year-old boy?"

He felt a tap on his shoulder. "Enough of that, Wren. Guards are not supposed to do interrogations."

"Aww, nuts," he replied, kicking at the concrete floor like a petulant schoolboy. But he took the stare and the not-so-subtle foot-tapping for the hint that it was--his job was over, and he was being didmissed for now.

The person who'd arrived stared after him a moment, to make sure he did leave. Satisfied, they in turn strode up to the door. "On behalf of Artemis, I apologize for the accomodations, General." It was a woman this time, dressed in military desert fatigues. It was their hope that she would respond better to someone of the same gender. "He could not, unfortunately, be here to greet you upon your awakening--you really did quite a number on him." The awe in her voice was not feigned. "So I have been assigned to watch over you. That includes seeing to any needs you may have while we wait for him to wake."

She had barely paid any attention to the young male guard as he talked to her and as the female officer walked in, her demeanor only changed slightly, a slight smile coming over her face. It was funny, when the guard talked to her about, Artemis, apparently the leader of these criminals, she spoke in such awe. This girl, she seemed to almost look up to Hannah, her strength, her power, perhaps her beauty as well. The potenate moved slightly as the woman entered the room and sat up on the bed looking into her face, into her eyes. "So I damaged him a bit too much? Pity and so young I hear as well. But that's the problem getting a child to do work, though I must say, his plan was quite good, but he should know better than to mess with someone and not think they have the ability to fight back. Never...never underestimate your enemy."

Hannah sat all the way up and hugged her knees as she continued to look over the young woman. "So you're here to watch over me? Well honestly, I don't need anything right at the moment. Some food would be nice, but its not needed immediately at least. You mind telling me who you are as well. What's your name? Why did you attack me? What are you planning to do with me? And considering that you have some form of organization...what is your purpose?" The Potentate looked into the girl's eyes, her irises attacking the young woman's, her muscles a physical sign of strength and her hardened look a sign of wisdom.

This guard knew that Artemis had planned for just about any contingency. He'd even taken into account that the General had probably had been enhanced a great deal. He simply hadn't expected her to be so strong. That one detail had nearly proven his downfall. But if anything, it had made him seem even more powerful, that he had survived such a trauma. It was a testament to his sheer willpower.

However she knew Artemis would not approve of her talking too much about that. He'd probably say something similar to Hannah--about underestimating the enemy, but he'd add that it was good to have your opponent underestimate you. "You can call me Robin," she replied simply, smiling in a friendly manner.

"I'm afraid the person who could best answer most of your questions is the one who can't talk to you right now, but I'll do my best. I don't know what it is about you that fascinates Artemis so, but perhaps it has something to do with whatever it was that allowed you to hold onto consiusness so long. I don't know what he plans to do with you, but I can tell you he's not unnecessarily cruel. He'll probably just let you go once he's gotten what he wants." In that statement itself was an interesting assumption--this boy, whoever he was, was used to getting what he wanted. And few, if any, here doubted his ability to get it.

"The purposes of this organization are not my place to divulge. If Artemis wishes them to be known to you, he will tell you when he comes." Robin felt a bit intimidated by the stare, and her sapphire eyes showed it, but she was comforted by what she'd been told--this place was a fortress, and long before the General could plausibly escape, she would be dead. She would undobtedly realize that, and Artemis was betting on the fact that Hannah would, at the moment, prefer to remain alive.

--------

In Alice Springs, the Hanseatic troops, Lillians and Marines alike, would just now be waking up in the local barracks.

They would be greeted personally by General Hammond. "I'm sorry for the accomodations, but I figured you would want something that was at least semi-familiar to wake up to. Can any of you tell me what happened out there?"

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere else in the complex in which Hannah is held prisoner

"Are you sure he's going to be fine, doctor?" the young woman anxiously asked. She herself could be no older than 18, leaving one to wonder what her connection to Artemis might be.

"He'll be fine. Despite some trauma, he should pull through fine. He's a strong-willed individual--and it actually looked worse than it really was. I've fixed any potential scars and blemishes with a little plastic surgery. Now he just needs to rest and recover his stregth. He should be up and about in no more than a couple days, but knowing him, he'll probably be walking around in 24 hours or less."

"Well." Hannah stared up at the girl. "He can do what he wants." She leaned back on her bed. "I'm not really in any rush to go anywhere. I had expected to be in Promised Land for a few days actually and this is just an unfortunate detour for me. Though I will say I'm quite interested in meeting this leader of yours, if he managed to stay alive through my beating, he's a trooper, I'll give him that. But I guess I'm fascinating in my own degree, right?" Hannah shrugged. "Anyways, I don't really need anything at the moment Robin, so if I'm keeping you from your other duties, I'm going to take a bit of a nap again and when Artemis is ready to see me, I'll be ready." The general winked. "Thank you love."

---

For Hammond, the Lillilans and Marines could only account for small, basic problem of what had happened. Besides that a jumbo jet had been brought down in front of them, that their leader was gone, and that they had been attacked out of the shadows. The Lillians were extremely offset by this. Promised Land security had once again failed them and they had been ambushed. One direct line from a Lillian, that perhaps even Promised Land would be better in the hands of the Hanseatics. At least then the country would be safe.

Robin, like the bird she had been named after, stared curiously with her head tilted at an angle. This woman was not at all what she had expected. Then again, she wasn't really sure what she had expected, so that wasn't saying much.

She found she had been leaning against the wall of the cell, her arms folded across her chest. Blinking, she stood upright once more, and unconsciously, she brushed her hands along her uniform, straightening out the fewwrinkles that had appeared while she was there. "I'll bring you something to eat in a couple hours," she said, her smile still in place as she walked out. She made sure to lock the door again behind her.

And as she had promised, exactly two hours later, Robin and one other uniformed individual brought a styrofoam tray loaded with sandwiches. These people were obviously keen on not allowing her anything that could be used as a weapon--and that included eating utensils.

While Robin unlocked the cell to take in the tray, the other stayed well back, his weapon loaded with the safety off, to deter any possible escape attempt.

After delivering the food, Robin would regularly check up on Hannah every two hours, on the clock, until it was time to meet Artemis.

--------

Hammond sighed at the lack of details. He couldn't realy say he'd expected more, but he had hoped for something, some clue, however small, but there was nothing. Whoever had pulled this off knew what they were doing, and how to hide their tracks.

He was not offended at their remarks, and he almost laughed at the remark that Promised Land would be safer in the hands of the Hanseatics. He replied that if Subtleknifewielder couldn't contain this, then he doubted someone with a military mind could do it.

He informed the Lillians that about a day before the ambush, a dozen men and women, along with their squad commander and some emergency equipment, had been scheduled to arrive...but they had never showed. A search party finally had found them about two hour's distance from where the ambush had taken place, alive but unconscious.

"Those weren't even our troops that arrived to rescue you. Someone is impersonating our soldiers."

Hannah waited patiently as time passed for her meeting with the leader. She was neither overly scared of the situation, nor overly impressed, however it did humor her how much they treated her as a dangerous subject. Sandwiches? For God's sake she wasn't a murderer...well that wasn't entirely true, but she was a soldier, but even a soldier understood something of discipline and this Artemis would know that he only had so much time before her disappearance would cause an international incident between the two allies. That being said and the military expansion of the Hansa, she wasn't worried in the slightest. But after the constant seeming harassment of her person as a political prisoner and the passing of the day, she had become anxious and the next time that Robin checked up on her, Hannah sat up in the bed.

"So what'll it be love? Is he ready for me yet or isn't he?"

---

On the home front the Lillians had become just as anxious as their leader was in her cell and just as discontent with the situation. While the ownership of Promised Land had been a joke, this had happened before to Lady Tintagyl and the repetition and instability of the Hansa's neighbor was something to be concerned about. For Dominique Harais, the acting captain of those Lillians in rest in Promised Land it was something that she definitely wanted to see solved forever.

"Well if that's the case General Hammond, we would like to find out what's going on in general. Your country has been plagued by an instability for quite sometime and we are willing to place our services forward to put a stop to it. If of course that is if you allow us."

Robin hadn't meant to seem harassing--she was there, after all, to make Hannah as comfortable as possible.

"So what'll it be love? Is he ready for me yet or isn't he?"

"I don't know. I can find out real quick, though..." she unclipped a handheld radio from her belt, speaking lowly into it. She couldn't realize, of course, that Hannah's hearing would pick up her words, but in any case, it didn't matter. "This is Robin..."

--------

As the doctor had predicted, Artemis was up and walking before 24 hours. Other than a small scar that the doctor had left in place above his left eye, there was no indication of any ill effects, not a sign that he had been beaten nearly to death.

His grey eyes stared unblinking at the doctor, who shrugged and gave him a mirror. He took in his face, including the scar, and nodded his approval. It was all he could have wished for.

Suddenly, the radio sitting next to where the mirror had been crackled to life. "This is Robin... the General is wondering about Artemis. What is his status, over?"

Artemis waved the Doctor away, grabbing the radio himself.

--------

"This is Artemis. I'm coming now."

The voice that answered her query, though distorted by the transmission, was certainly him, and so she returned the radio to her left hip. "That was him. It won't take him more than a couple minutes to get here from the infirmiry."

She stood where she was, the only sign of emotion now the subconscious tap-tap-tap of one of her feet as she waited.

But it was not long, no more than 90 seconds, before the boy turned the corner and came into sight, and Robin snapped her spine straight--she'd been sluching unconsciously--and withdrew the keys from a pocket. Artemis smiled. "Thank you, Robin." he cleared his throat self-consciously as his voice wavered, but did not quite break--he was still having trouble with puberty.

Others might have taken that as a dismissal--she knew he meant exactly what he said, and only that.

As Artemis walked inside the cell, he motioned that it need not be closed for now, his own grey eyes were filled with curiosity as he met Hannah's gaze. His tall, lanky frame was ramrod straight as he stood in the positon of 'at ease,' and his dork hair was cropped short in almost a buzz cut, indicating a possible military upbringing...

"I'm sorry I kept you waiting, General," he addressed her in an affable manner. "I was, as you probably were aware, not feeling my best," he joked.

--------

"Well if that's the case General Hammond, we would like to find out what's going on in general. Your country has been plagued by an instability for quite sometime and we are willing to place our services forward to put a stop to it. If of course that is if you allow us."

Hammond took Dominique Harais' speech in without objection. Based on the evidence they had, it was a fair analysis.

He finally nodded after considering her words for a few seconds, then lowered his voice. "I'm probably not supposed to tell you this, but my superiors believe this crisis has something to do with that traitor, General Orlov." He spat out that name as he would a curse. Promised Land was still trying to recover from the damage that man had inflicted on the nation's reputation.

"I don't know why they think that, as he is dead--I oversaw the execution myself--but I am assured they have logical reasons for thinking that. I can get you all the information we have on him, if you wish."

• 2 weeks later...

Hannah smiled at the young man in front of her, if it hadn't been for the suit he was wearing, she would have killed him. Sitting on the bed she crossed her legs and sighed. "Well, here I am, General Hannah Asgeirsson, Potentate of the Hansa and your prisoner. Artemis? Right? That's what you said on the radio at least. So tell me Artemis." She said leaning over to him. "Why did you want to capture me? I know Lady Tintagyl was captured a few years ago by Promised Land rebels, is this sort of the welcoming party for all the Hanseatic leaders and am I going to be going home soon?"

----

Dominique sighed. "Anything you have General Hammond, Lady Asgeirsson's protection is paramount to us. We need to get her back. I don't think the Hansa could lose another one of its leaders like Lady Sarah just disappeared. Anything that you can help us with, we'd be most appreciative." She smiled. "We laxed on our duty, but I do believe that Lady Hannah, will...be a ball of fire for the rebels to handle."

"...So tell me Artemis." He almost leaned back as she leaned forward, but he did not want to appear intimidated. Although his heart seemed to speed up ever so slightly. "Why did you want to capture me? I know Lady Tintagyl was captured a few years ago by Promised Land rebels, is this sort of the welcoming party for all the Hanseatic leaders and am I going to be going home soon?"

“Yes, I’m Artemis. You heard correctly. Don’t worry; you’ll be going home as soon as you answer a few questions, that’s all. And no, this isn’t going to be the usual reception, though it does seem that way, doesn’t it?” He offered a sheepish grin. “I haven’t done much to allay suspicions of that appearance, have I?”

“In any case, I really would rather you consider yourself a guest, rather than a prisoner. And I do apologize for how you were brought here. If I’d had a choice in the matter, I would have simply invited you here for a talk, but that would not, unfortunately, have been possible under the circumstances. And, if it will help, I did not intend for anyone to die. I know this won’t bring any of your troops back, but I am willing to pay a hefty price to ensure their families do not go uncared for.” And that was the absolute truth. If she were to look him straight in the eye, she would find no trace of deception.

“The reason I…uh…abducted you,” he just managed not to choke on that word, but he had to be honest if this was going to work, “is because I couldn’t help noticing certain physical advantages you have. You’re stronger, faster, and tougher than anyone I’ve ever encountered, and you possess a much higher degree of senses than any unaided human being.”

“Now, from what I know about you, you weren't always like this…not until you took a little trip away from the continent. Your flight went down somewhere along the route.” Actually, he was almost certain it had been in the Eggman Empire, but he wanted to be completely certain. “You disappeared, completely off the radar, for several months.”

“What I want to know, General…” He paused as he leaned closer, the earlier tinge of uneasiness long gone in his intense curiosity. When he stopped, their noses were close to touching, as grey eyes stared unflinchingly into green. “…is who gave you these gifts?”

--------

Hammond nodded firmly, standing. “Then you’ll have the file in a few minutes. I have a copy in my office.”

A few minutes later, he returned, apparently empty-handed except for a glass of water, and whistling nonchalantly. He handed Dominique the water, winking to try and let her know it was a cover. When he was sure no one else was looking, he withdrew a file folder from inside his uniform, tossing it on the bed. “Try not to be too obvious when you’re looking through it. I’d rather not lose my job.”

“And if you need anything else, flag down any private or sergeant who doesn’t appear busy and have them send for me.”

With that, he left her and the others to their own devices.

In the folder, the file contained a basic description of General Orlov’s physical appearance, a brief note that he was now deceased (signed by the coroner who was present at the execution), and a list of his crimes: his suspected connection to the assassintation attempt on President Jackson; the bombing of Parliament, which had resulted in most of its members being killed; his changing of the orders of a chemical attack to a biological one in Somalia; and the nuclear missile crisis with the Republic of Nedland.

Also included was a brief biography of the years before his enlistment in the army, as well as the years he spent before his promotion. None of the details there really stood out in any way—except for the fact that he had been survived by a wife and son.

Hannah laid back on the bed and sighed, but she kept a slight smile on her face. "I should have been a bit easier on you Artemis, maybe you wouldn't have been so suspicious. So what do you want me to tell you, the story of a young woman, a servant of her state, willing to do anything and everything for the woman that gave her everything. You want the story of a young woman who after losing all hope, having no real reason to live found herself in a frozen hell where she was transformed into a demon in some of the most horrific ways possible. But I guess you've studied me enough that yes, I am not a normal human anymore." She looked down her arms and her body. "I used to be a bit shorter, a bit less toned, weaker and I guess you could say that I was turned into something...beyond humanity. But as to telling you who gave me this gift, why would I do that? I already have one crazed man out to end my life, why do I want you probably wanting to kill me as well?"

"I am your prisoner after all, no matter who well you treat me. How am I supposed to trust you? Because you're keeping me alive, that's not a reason to trust I'm afraid."

---

Dominique thanked the General and took the folder from him, after whisking through it, she sighed and turned to another one of the Lillians. "I don't think this is going to be much help, but we're heading back to where we were attacked. Get the girls ready, we can't waste anymore time here. Is that understood?"

"Of course."

"Then lets head out."

"I should have been a bit easier on you Artemis, maybe you wouldn't have been so suspicious. So what do you want me to tell you, the story of a young woman, a servant of her state, willing to do anything and everything for the woman that gave her everything. You want the story of a young woman who after losing all hope, having no real reason to live found herself in a frozen hell where she was transformed into a demon in some of the most horrific ways possible. But I guess you've studied me enough that yes, I am not a normal human anymore."

He stood up straight once more, that expression of curiosity never leaving his face. "You don't look like a demon to me," he stated, just a hint of puzzlement entering his features. "You certainly are different in certain ways. But despite what you may have gone through, you are still, in essence, a human, where it counts. Here," he put a finger against his temple, "and more importantly, "here." He laid a hand over his heart.

"I used to be a bit shorter, a bit less toned, weaker and I guess you could say that I was turned into something...beyond humanity. But as to telling you who gave me this gift, why would I do that? I already have one crazed man out to end my life, why do I want you probably wanting to kill me as well?"

"Please do not take offense, but your reasoning is a bit flawed, My General. If I had wanted to kill you, I know very well it would have been wiser to have you put down while you were asleep. We wouldn't be talking right now if I wanted you dead, or at least, we would be talking under circumstances particularly less pleasant for you. But I am not that kind of person. I do not kill without reason, and if someone does die because of me, I do my best to ensure those they leave behind are cared for. Someone like you might call it 'honor amongst thieves.'"

"I am your prisoner after all, no matter who well you treat me. How am I supposed to trust you? Because you're keeping me alive, that's not a reason to trust I'm afraid."

He bit his lip. That one was a little harder to counter. Finally, he turned to walk out of the cell. However, he stopped in the doorway and turned back. "I am not keeping you alive merely because I want information from you. I am keeping you alive because I still consider you my guest, because I have no reason, really, to see you dead. You think you are a prisoner? Please, come." He beckoned her to follow him. The only way to counter those words was with action, not more words.

--------

On their way out of the base, the Lillians would first run across a group of the men who had been ambushed in the desert even before the attack on the Hanseatic convoy. One of them, with the insignia of a lieutenant, motioned to them. He clearly wished to discuss something with Dominique.

She smiled as he spoke to her and for a man who had abducted her, he was quite the gentleman. Especially by pulling her away from the image that she had for herself. Hannah did truly feel like something that wasn't human, but the man was right, she still had a mind and she still most definitely had a heart. Thinking about it more, it had been the reason she had allowed herself to be transformed in the first place. She had did it out of love for her country, her people, and Lady Sarah. Hannah had sacrificed her body and possibly her soul for the Hansa and not once did she regret it.

More so, Artemis was right. He could have easily had her killed while she was asleep or in various other ways, so while she was not extremely amused with being this man's prisoner. She could be accepting of the facts of where she was at and at least he seemed to want to show her she was a 'guest'.

"Very well Artemis." She said getting up off the bed. "I'll trust you. Lead the way." As they walked out of the cell she turned to him again, running her hands through her white hair. "But to get things straight. You wanted me here to get my gift? Correct?"

---

"Stop the jeep." Said Dominique. The vehicle came to a stop and the commander jumped out and walked over to the lieutenant who had beckoned her over. She walked over and stared at him. "Something to discuss?"

Artemis offered her a full, genuine smile as she stood and followed. If he appeared the gentleman, it was not fully an act. He was well aware the best way to get what he wanted was to treat her with dignity and respect--but that did not change the fact that he was generally inclined to do that anyway.

"Very well Artemis. I'll trust you. Lead the way."

He turned for a moment to Robin, who had stood outsaide watching the whole time. His back was to Hannah, not to be rude, but rather indicating that he trusted her for the time being. "You may come with us, or retire for the night. Whatever you wish." The girl nodded, her smile wide as she fell into step behind them.

"But to get things straight. You wanted me here to get my gift? Correct?"

He looked unflinchingly into her gaze and nodded. "Yes. That is why I wanted to talk to you. I don't kidnap people just for amusement." He beckoned to Robin, who almost seemed to bounce as she stepped forward to stand at his side. "But first, Robin and I will need to know how much will be required for the families of your fallen to ensure they are not left destitute."

By this time, they had walked a small distance away, and had turned a corner, the cell now out of sight. They were headed toward a flight of stairs, of all things.

--------

He nodded. "Name's lieutenant Philips, Ma'am. I heard what happened, and I'm sorry to say it's partially my fault. My convoy and I were ambushed a couple days ago. Whoever it was stole our uniforms and used them to get close to you, from what we can tell. I did get a look at one of the attackers, though. I couldn't believe my eyes at first, but I could swear he looked like a much younger version of the traitor General Orlov. If I didn't know the man was dead, I might have thought it was Orlov."

He bit his lip. "I'm not supposed to go off-base at the moment, but I can assign one of my troops to escort you to the place where we were ambushed too. I don't know if you'll find any more clues, but it's worth a shot, right?"

"The families?" Hannah sighed. "Six of my girls were killed, however all families who have daughters or in the very rare case mothers serving in the Lillian Guard are taken care of automatically by the state. If anything if you could take care of the four marines who I know were killed that would be a much bigger help for my heart than the Lillians." They began to walk up the flight of stairs. "Anyways. Why do you want this gift? I should let you know that I don't fancy you doing this just cause you're curious. Not that it would surprise me, but a person like you, a person with this kind of organization either wants it for his own greed and power or because he figures a greater reason. Care sharing that with me?"

---

Meanwhile Dominique felt like she was gaining absolutely no ground in her hunt for the Potentate. Now she was looking for someone that looked like he had been executed years ago? Even for the trained Lillian, things began to look slightly grim. But the fact that they were willing to provide an escort was enough. "Of course, please, we would be honored to have any help you can spare."

After having the soldier climb aboard the jeep, the Lillians and their escort took back off towards the desert.

"The families? Six of my girls were killed, however all families who have daughters or in the very rare case mothers serving in the Lillian Guard are taken care of automatically by the state. If anything if you could take care of the four marines who I know were killed that would be a much bigger help for my heart than the Lillians."

"Very well." He gestured to Robin, who bounded up the staircase to deliver the information. It wasn't long before she was out of sight. He turned back to Hannah as they began climbing the stairs at a more moderate pace.

"Anyways. Why do you want this gift? I should let you know that I don't fancy you doing this just cause you're curious. Not that it would surprise me, but a person like you, a person with this kind of organization either wants it for his own greed and power or because he figures a greater reason. Care sharing that with me?"

His expression grew sadder at some thought that her question had evoked. "I lost my father when I was very young, and my mother was killed soon after my tenth birthday. All my efforts have been focused on gathering funds to finance a search for those responsible for their deaths. However, I know that whoever they are, they are not to be trifled with lightly. I'll need every advantage I can get when I meet them face-to-face."

They reached the top of the stairs as he finished speaking--they had the otion of turning left, right, or continuing ahead. Robin had gone to the left, but they turned to the right, toward the kitchen.

"Are you hungry, General? I know I myself could use some food--I didn't have a chance to eat before coming down to see you."

----

Private Young climbed aboard upon directions froim the lieutenant.

Once they had picked up any clues left behind at the site of the crash and the ambush on the Hanseatics, he would direct them to where he and his own party had been taken.

A thorough search at the first location would turn up a single dart--the one that had hit Artemis when he was in the armor. Its tip would be slighly bent, indicating that it had hit some kind of solid surface...

• 3 weeks later...

***Elsewhere in the facility***

"I don't know, Robin. I'm not so sure about Artemis' latest plan. And we don't even know why he's interested in her." Thus said the one in charge of managing funds.

"Whatever reason he may have," Robin answered, narrowing her eyes, "it's guaranteed to be a good one. He's never been frivolous, you should know that, Mouse." That was not derogetory, that was merely his nickname, due to a near-constant state of worry. It almost seemed he was never happy unless he was worrying about something.

Robin's expression returned to her usual cheerful one. "But I dunno why I bother re-assuring you. You're going to worry anyway, aren't you?" For a moment he glared, before going back to his work.

OOC: Just a little filler, and to make sure this doesn't get lost in the shuffle, as I don't want the next post to be a gravedig. :D