PSA from the Justitian Research Institute

host.jpg

Because we are in general terms largely isolationist (though not neutral) and also still small-ish, the Cult of Justitia outsources drama production to other alliances with more drama production capacity/potential. This week, Viridian Entente and Ordo Verde delivered a shipment of drama and poltical intrigue to the Temple which kept us going hot and fast for a good long time. Even our formerly-neutral Biff Webster finally stretched his partiality muscles and managed to surpass a post-count of 50.

In the midst of the flowing haw-tide, Delta posed a rather dumb point:

I don't see anyone from OV out here complaining except for the person who was actually removed, so if Ordo Verde is happy with the situation, why is this an issue exactly?

It's not his fault, he's in a lulz alliance.

To get a better grasp on the situation inside Ordo Verde, I founded the Justitian Institute for Social Research, and set about gauging the Verdean reaction. Here is what we've found:

Respondents: 14

Ordo Verde Membership (at time of polling): 23

Members of Ordo Verde's government, and SethB, were given access to the poll

When asked to rate their "satisfaction with the performance of each of the following Ministers," on a scale of 1-4 or no opinion, distributed across Zenergy, Tito, and Petar, Verdeans responded thus:

Petar: 3.31 (out of a possible 4), placing him within "satisfied" out of "very dissatisfied," "dissatisfied," "satisfied," and "very satisfied"

Zenergy: 2.33, dissatisfied

Tito: 2.07, dissatisfied

This was a forced ranking, indicating that responding Verdeans are most satisfied with Petar's performance while Defence Minister, and least satisfied with Tito's performance while Foreign Minister. 1 respondent had no opinion of Petar's performance, 2 had none of Zenergy's.

When asked "Were you content with the makeup of the last Council comprised of Zenergy, Tito, and Petar?" Verdeans are equally split between Yes and No (each at 29%). Surprisingly, another 36% of Verdeans are "Unsure" of whether or not they were content with the makeup of the last Council (Triumvirate).

In a very strange twist, 43% of Verdeans responded that, yes, they were "upset that Tito had not had a Minister review [as outlined in OV's charter]," but only 29% of Verdeans believed that the "Council comprised of Petar, Zenergy, and Tito [was] in violation of Ordo Verde's charter." 29% of Verdeans believe that the Council was not in violation of the charter, and another 36% are unsure as to whether the former Council was in violation of the charter.

One Verdean that did not believe that the Council as comprised was in violation of the charter stated his position thus: "The new elections were coming up i fail to see what it violated."

Those who thought the Counil as comprised was in violation of the charter voiced their position:

"A refusal to hold elections constitutes a clear and direct violation of the Charter."

"Elections were due"

The sole "unsure" respondent expressed his confusion: "well im unsure cause i dont exactly no what has happened ive heard that information had been leaked out but im unsure as what information is being leaked and how it effects rest of ov if i had more information i could give better answer."

These responses reveal a wide variance in Verdeans' understanding and interpretation of the events themselves (suggesting internal dialogue is stifled or not happening and that few Verdeans are following international coverage), and a wide variance in the understanding and interpretation of the OV charter.

A minority of Verdeans--36%--hold the personal opinion that the manner in which Petar removed Tito and Zenergy was acceptable. 64% of Verdeans believe that the manner was unaaceptable, or had no opinion of the manner in which they were removed.

Given the opportunity to explain their answer, two Verdeans in the majority stated:

"Everything happened behind evereyone's backs and all information got cencored." and "It was not very orderly and was a complete cluster $%&@ from start to finish, with very little told to other gov or the ov populous"

One Verdean who was "unsure" expressed his confusion:

"once again same as question above i dont know all the information but if it was to protect OV from being put in bad spot then i believe it was good if not then obviously i dont but i would like to see the entire story," suggesting that some Verdeans in the 36% minority are personally OK with the extra-charter process out of security concerns, despite there being no clear threat to OV's security.

In an attempt to gather raw opinion without regard to charters, coups, legality, etc, Verdeans were asked simply, "Are you glad that Petar removed Tito and Zenergy from their Council Positions?"

Yes: 28.6%

No: 21.4%

Unsure: 28.6%

No Opinion: 21.4%

Therefore, while a minority of Verdeans with a firm opinion were not glad that Tito and Zenergy were removed, a sound minority--29%--of total Verdeans are glad that they were removed.

Verdeans who took the opportunity to elaborate had the following to say:

"wanted to have seth back"

"im neither happy nor sad about that i mean if they are hurtin the alliance they gotta go if its a big misunderstanding then things need to be hashed about possibly some apologizes and thats it but it truly doesnt bother me"

"Everything got $%&@ed up and members were told nothing. Still I have no idea what has happened."

"I am not really sure how to feel on this, they didn't really do all that much for the OV people ."

In debate over the issue, the imperialist agenda and actions of the Viridian Entente were brought up.

Verdeans were asked "Do you believe that Viridian Entente's involvement in the removal of Zenergy and Tito from Ordo Verde's government was in violation of the treaty between VE and OV, which states in part: 'Both signatories shall retain their sovereignty and shall not take any action, directly or indirectly, that would threaten the sovereignty of the other signatory.'?

Sovereignty, for purposes of this survey, is defined thus: 'rightful status, independence, or prerogative'."

Verdeans that believed that Viridia was involved in the removal were split in their response: 21% do believe it was a treaty violation (and therefore a sovereignty violation), while another 21% do not believe it was a treaty violation. 14% were unsure.

Startlingly, at 29%, the majority of respondents responded "Not applicable, I do not believe it was a violation of sovereignty as defined," suggesting that 29%-50% of Verdeans do not understand what sovereignty is and therefore will not perceive any change when OV is merged into VE, or do not speak English.

The results of the following question rule out the possibility that that majority answered "not applicable" due to any possible overlap of Verdeans who simply don't believe Viridia was involved.

When asked "Are you upset that Viridian Entente was involved in the removal of members of the Ordo Verde government?" a 64% majority of respondents confirm that they believe that VE was involved by answering either "yes" (21%) or "no" (43%). Only 14%--2 respondents out of 14--replied "Not applicable, I do not believe that VE was involved, so I cannot be upset or not upset" while another 14% were "unsure."

Finally, when asked if the attacks on Tito and Zenergy made them "glad," Verdeans displayed only slight displeasure in the attacks on both former Councillors. 42% of Verdeans are "not glad" that Zenergy is to be ZIed by OV, VE, and/or TMF (The Moralist Front), and 42% of Verdeans are "not glad" that Tito is being attacked by VE and TMF.

There percentage of Verdeans that are glad that Tito is being ZIed (29%) is also the same as the percentage Verdeans who are glad that Zenergy will be ZIed (29%) despite their differing roles in the events.

DISCLOSURE:

At least one Verdean troll felt that the Justitian Institute for Social Research's maiden poll was not a very good one, and offered this unsolicited feedback:

"As no field was provided for my opinion of this survey, I will share it here. This survey is a full of !@#$. You are wildly manipulating the truth in order to create dissension. This is not an attempt to guage the general opinion of the event, but rather to spread lies."

Thank you, the Justitian Institute for Social Research will advise the government+SethB of Ordo Verde that the next time we endeavour to gauge the opinions of Verdeans it would be helpful if they release all relevant facts in the OP, rather than on pages 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, and 14.

This survey was developed as facts were being released one tooth-pulling at a time. As such, the wording of some questions is biased due to misunderstandings by the Institute of the events or facts thereof, whether due to the misinformation campaigns of SethB and VE, or by lack of facts at the time of polling. For example, while it is certain that Zenergy would not have been allowed to remain in VE, he was not "removed" as the questions ask; he resigned before he could be removed. This fact was not outlined until Zenergy posted his version of events after polling began. Most Verdeans had no way of knowing that, anyway, though, because his resignation thread was deleted before more than a couple of them could read it.

Some mistakes were made in question formatting; for example, respondents were meant to rate their satisfaction with each Councillor, not rank Councillors against each other. Where such mistakes were made, results were reported as collected, thus the satisfaction ranking rather than a satisfaction rating.

This survey was password protected and (during the live polling stage) the link to it was only given to Verdeans to ensure that only Verdeans responded. However, a Verdean leaked the link and password to Vilien, leader of The Moralist Front who is attacking Tito, who then proceeded to pass the link and password on to an unknown number of people with inascertainable political leanings or motivations in an unknown number of channels on IRC. This tampering was brought to light in the "please explain" sections of several questions which made use of the space thus:

[*01:48:14*] <Vilien> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=delJ...yqMWfEZkA_3d_3d

[*01:48:18*] <Vilien> password is "greengreen"

Due to the use of profanity in "please explain" free-answer portions of some questions, no link to the raw data can be provided.

The Justitian Institute for Social Research hopes that this research has helped the citizens of Digiterra in their understanding of the situations surrounding the changes in OV government, treaty cancellation between OV and GUN, SethB posting for OV instead of OV gov, Delta's dumb questions, and attacks by TMF and VE on a member of OV government.

Edited by Schattenmann

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official response from SethB:

To: Schattenmann From: sethb Date: 10/18/2009 9:15:29 AM

Subject: RE: Ordo Verde Opinion Poll

Official reply to SethB: Far from cute.

Official response from Tito:

To: Schattenmann From: titodafarmer Date: 10/18/2009 3:34:03 PM

Subject: RE: Ordo Verde Opinion Poll

Message: Thank you for taking your time to investigate this Schattenmann. How are you sure that someone will not try and overload the survey for one side or the other?

Official reply to Tito: Someone did try to skew the survey results.

Edited by Schattenmann

Interesting, but ultimately useless data. Aside from the old saw about "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" we come up with the same reasons to doubt poll numbers that we've had for decades (probably centuries even).

The specific wording of questions asked can greatly skew the results, anyone with even a passing understanding of the subject knows that crafting the questions correctly will bias your results in the direction you desire.

Haha wow your really laying it on thick bud...I'll respond more fully when I have time. Rather then posting this, I would have been much more interested to see your responses to all the legitimate fact based points made in the other thread that relates to the issue, as you seem to have gone quiet.

Saying random things is definitely much more fun though.

Edit: Yea there is no possible way you got responses from OV's membership in this short ammount of time, as they have been plagued by inactivity. Please post all the responses that back up your numbers.

Edited by Il Impero Romano

Interesting, but ultimately useless data. Aside from the old saw about "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" we come up with the same reasons to doubt poll numbers that we've had for decades (probably centuries even).

The specific wording of questions asked can greatly skew the results, anyone with even a passing understanding of the subject knows that crafting the questions correctly will bias your results in the direction you desire.

The wording of all questions was closely examined by JISR Chairman Schattenmann, and his subordinant Biff Webster, JISR neutrality expert. Fear not.

Before this gets buried on page 7, let me be clear: This survey was developed with serious intent, and the results would have been presented seriously; however, due to the tampering in the form of password-sharing, and the faults in questions due to informational issues, the most grave presentation of the results could not have imparted any faith in the survey.

I do not believe that more than one or two non-OV respondents took the survey, so I do put very loose credence in some of the results to some of the questions. But the survey as a whole was busted.

Statement from the Moralist Front: The Moralist Front has not, and will not, enforce a ZI sentence upon a member of the Cybernations community. My attacks on tito were at the request of Sethb, who is a friend of mine, and carried out with the knowledge of one side of the story. These attacks were intended, and still are, to last for one round of war. The Moralist Front believes that the poll taken by Schattenmann contained an unacceptable amount of bias in the way that questions were posed to respondents. The Moralist Front also believes that the poll contains a number of factual errors intended to shape the respondents' answers to questions.

Quite simply, we aren't, and won't be, enforcing a ZI sentence on tito or Zenergy. In fact, no member of the Moralist Front has had contact of any kind with Zenergy, the person who we were supposedly ZIing.

Before this gets buried on page 7, let me be clear: This survey was developed with serious intent, and the results would have been presented seriously; however, due to the tampering in the form of password-sharing, and the faults in questions due to informational issues, the most grave presentation of the results could not have imparted any faith in the survey.

I do not believe that more than one or two non-OV respondents took the survey, so I do put very loose credence in some of the results to some of the questions. But the survey as a whole was busted.

Once again, OV members as of late cant be bothered to check their forums or nations more then once a week, yet they responded to your survey in one day? Very unlikely.

Judging from your above quoted statement, the information in the OP is almost certainly false, as you portray it as responses from actual OV members and are proclaiming to the world that these are their words and opinions on the particular issues at hand, when in fact the responses: 1) could be from anyone and 2) inferring from past behaviors, it can be said that they almost positively are from anyone but members of OV.

Its amazing you have the nerve to say that Delta said anything dumb while at the same time posting this, or is it a joke topic?

Sure, jokes are funny har har and all that, but honestly man your putting words into the mouths of an alliances members now...

Edited by Il Impero Romano

A very interesting read, and one I enjoyed immensely. Took me a bit to stop laughing after reading this gem, though:

In the midst of the flowing haw-tide, Delta posed a rather dumb point:

It's not his fault, he's in a lulz alliance.

Keep up the good work, Schatt B)

Haha wow your really laying it on thick bud...I'll respond more fully when I have time. Rather then posting this, I would have been much more interested to see your responses to all the legitimate fact based points made in the other thread that relates to the issue, as you seem to have gone quiet.

Saying random things is definitely much more fun though.

Edit: Yea there is no possible way you got responses from OV's membership in this short ammount of time, as they have been plagued by inactivity. Please post all the responses that back up your numbers.

Do you hold all of your allies in such high regard?

Well in that case, why even inculde the compromised results rather then the responses of those indivudals?

Also, like I said, I would be very interested in your response to many of the explanations and fact based points in the other thread on this issue, as you have become entirely absent...some of us have been having a rather respectful and productive conversation the past few pages. This seems to be an issue you hold close to your heart, judging from the time and effort you put into it, so I feel the least you can do is address some of the realities behind the situation that have come to the surface, as the absence of that makes it seem as though your just board.

I understand the overwhelming desire to demonize us, as we have shown ourselves these past months to be truly horrible people, just ask your former comrades in our protectorate TJO...they would agree with you, right?

Finally, I'm sure Zenergy appreciates your aid while at war, but I was wondering if there is some other explanation for it aside from attention grabbing and an attempt to create drama, a standing tech deal perhaps?

Finally, I'm sure Zenergy appreciates your aid while at war, but I was wondering if there is some other explanation for it aside from attention grabbing and an attempt to create drama, a standing tech deal perhaps?

I don't think soldiers have anything to do with tech deals, bub.