Looking for Wings

Amyante

"Fuel Indicator glitched? Showed a full tank during take off and found otherwise mid air? What are you, in kinder garten? Where do you think you are now, driving school? Dont you know that the first thing you do before strapping onto a plane is do a walk about? Did you do the walk about? Did you do systems check on the plane? Or have you developed an undue trust in the engineers? Do you think that you just press a button and things will start happening? Answer me, Pilot Officer."

- "Well... Yeah. Captain Chen is usually very perfectionistic about Engineering checks, so i guess i... kind of got used to... everything being okay."

Sørensen bit her lip, but still wouldn't allow herself to look away. Truth be said, she trusted Engineering to be good at what they did as that was their job, not hers, nor did she honestly have any talent for it anyway. People didn't worry about how the lights went on after flipping a switch either after all, and she had never had the inclination to double check.

- "As for the walk about, i did that but... I don't have any skill in Engineering m'self. It looked like nothing would be coming loose so i figured we were good to go."

"Lt. Sorensen, when we or your government entrusts a multi million dollar aircraft to you, we expect you to know everything about it, and I mean everything. Here we have already taught you all the technical aspects about the engines, the avionics, the electronics, the computer systems, in short everything about your plane has been taught to you. Being a fighter pilot is not just about aerobatics with a joystick in your hand, any child in a video game shop can do that.

A pilot has to be responsible. I have often observed you and your flying antics. I do not disapprove of aerobatics and crazy maneuvers, they are vital, when they are needed. As a combat fighter pilot you must know how everything works, because that knowledge can mean the difference between light and death during combat.

What do you think would have happened if this was a real war situation? Hmm? During a real shooting war, with a number of aircrafts landing and taking off from an airbase the engineering crew would be strained to the point of break off. They may not be able to fix all aircrafts perfectly as during peace time, some aircrafts may be landing with battle damage which may merit more attention than your aircraft which is being pre flighted. However if you check about the aircraft,. If you notice any discrepancy, you can get it corrected before you take off, thus saving your life and your country's money.

Flying an aircraft is not about flipping on a switch and then shooting off, it is more complicated than that, why the hell did you think we put you through so much training?

Sorensen, either you wisen up or you get killed. Do you understand me? Today you could have died. What if you had done more maneuvers in the skies and had gone tank dry before reaching within the range of that air field? This terrain is rocky, if you haven't noticed. Even if you ejected there is no guarantee of your safety in landing amidst these craggy mountains.

You did show good skills in gliding action. I commend you for that. That is one part of your training which you went through before any one else from your batch, because I see promise in you. You are a good aviator, dont become part of the atmosphere trying to pull stupid stunts. This is not a video game. This is the business of war.

Do you understand me, Lieutenant?"

Sørensen blinked as she was called a Lieutenant a couple of times, but then remembered they were using a ranking system similar to the land army here, compared to which she would indeed be a 2nd Lieutenant. Still, she decided against correcting the Colonel, he seemed angry enough as it was without bringing up her rank. Listening to her superior, she couldn't help but feel on the defensive and she said the first thing that came up in her mind.

- "I KNOW! It's just that... I have no technical aptitude. A Hind, a Mig, a jeep, a tank, put me behind the controls and i can drive it around in no time, but when it comes down to technical stuff i can't tell a bolt from a wingnut. Every time i look at it it just seems to... blur together into one big confusing mass."

Sørensen blinked as she was called a Lieutenant a couple of times, but then remembered they were using a ranking system similar to the land army here, compared to which she would indeed be a 2nd Lieutenant. Still, she decided against correcting the Colonel, he seemed angry enough as it was without bringing up her rank. Listening to her superior, she couldn't help but feel on the defensive and she said the first thing that came up in her mind.

- "I KNOW! It's just that... I have no technical aptitude. A Hind, a Mig, a jeep, a tank, put me behind the controls and i can drive it around in no time, but when it comes down to technical stuff i can't tell a bolt from a wingnut. Every time i look at it it just seems to... blur together into one big confusing mass."

The Col. Sathar knew that the boundary between smashing up cockiness and destroying self confidence was arriving for this young aviator. Destruction of her confidence was not what he had in mind. He wanted to mould her into a smart confident operator.

"Kid, you cannot be a pilot without knowledge. Flying is not like driving a bike, a jeep or a tank. While you are on ground you only have to be aware of 2 dimensions. While flying there are far more dimensions that you have to be aware of at all times. The very fact that you have acquired the skill to fly like you do now is a testament to the fact that you are smart.

I am not going to flunk you out just because you have not mastered the systems that form a Mig29. You will have to take your engineering courses about the fighter again before I let you start combat flight training.

Lieutenant, I am a combat fighter pilot. I started off with the old Mig21s and now I am the master of Mig29s. I have almost 15 years of flight experience with more combat hours than you have flight hours. I have seen my friends blown in the sky. I have had to face the widows of the young aviators who served under my command. So, you listen to me when I tell you this, Kid. You are a good pilot, but I want you to become a great pilot. I see promise in you that I do not see everyday.

Flying is a challenge, this too must be a challenge for you. Kid, when you are up there, fighting for your life and defending your nation, sometimes all that matters is what you know in your head. An intimate knowledge of your plane would give you an even greater situational awareness.

Consider this situation. You are returning to base after some strenuous Aerial Combat Maneuvers, or Dog fights as lay men call it. You feel a slight funniness to the plane's handling. It could be a small shrapnel that has struck some part of the airframe. How would you know what it was, whether you can make it back, whether you should power down one engine, whether it is a friggin time bomb giving you mere seconds to eject?

You should know your weapon before you use it. That is basic soldiering.

I know you can do it. After all the stages in your flight training, you shall redo your engineering courses and you shall bloody well learn it all up. That is the only way you can be a fighter pilot trained out of AWA.

DO you understand me?"

Sørensen did cast her eyes downward this time, slumping her shoulders slightly as the Colonel spoke, and when he was done she replied in a somewhat resigned tone.

- "Yes sir..."

It wasn't because she wasn't grateful that he wasn't going to flunk her out, feel the slight pang of pride that Sathar saw so much potential in her, or feel confident about the faith he was placing in her. She got all of that, but the prospect of redoing her Engineering classes seemed to dominate everything else. It had been nothing short of a miracle that she had managed to pass the original set, and she couldn't help but wonder how much luck she'd have left after today.

While leading her out of the Colonel's office, Capt. Naresh said," Dont take it in the wrong way, Sorensen. If you want I can assist you in learning the engineering aspects. My girl friend is a mechanic at the Mig29 hangars."

OOC; Whoops...

IC:

Sørensen sighed deeply and nodded, knowing she would be needing all the help she could get on this one. She was grateful for the help Captain Naresh offered her, and as the lessons started it would soon become clear that the claim she made about her Engineering skills -- or lack of them -- hadn't been an understatement. When Naresh pointed out an air filter for the fuel intake she gave the following answer.

- "Uhh... That part... It's attached to the thing with the three wires, right? It does... stuff... with the air?"

It should be mentioned that she was really trying her best to figure out what she was supposed to learn, and even though she was capable of giving a vague description of what which part was supposed to do, there hadn't been much progress beyond that point regardless of how many times Sørensen reread the manual sections.

With all of the Zargathian flight trainees having cleared the Flight training, it was now time for combat training.

The first stage was intensive training in simulations practicing against AI generated threat environments. The recruits would face squad level, squadron level and regiment level threat groups, individually and as integrated squad level teams.

Next level of simulation training would be against RCAF personnel themselves who would engage in squad and squadron level Air warfare scenarios and Air Combat Maneuver Scenarios.

In all training given to the Zargathians, the OPFOR would also be flying Mig29s.

After the simulation training, the trainees would be subjected to actual aerial combat training.

• 2 weeks later...

The simulation started, and Sørensen was slated to be one of the last ones going up in the air. The main reason for this was to give the trainees with lower grade averages some additional experience, as it was believed that when the 'aces' would be up in the sky most of the action would revolve around them instead. When her terminal finally did light up to confirm she was ready to begin takeoff, she did so, traditionally cranking up the speed to make up for lost time. This time however she had waited a couple of seconds before slamming on the thrusters, checking the instruments to see if there was anything she needed to pay attention to.

Once in the air, she adjusted her speed to match that of the Squadron Leader, which turned out to be Simon McFadden, ironically. Which meant the pace was smooth and relaxed, and quite honestly a test of Sørensen's patience in its own right. The impatience the young rookie felt quickly became clear when the 'enemy' squadron came into radar range at their flank, and the order to 'Break and Attack' was given. Immediately performing an Immelmann she turned the craft around, banking hard right to face the attackers after getting some safety distance from the rest of the wing. Arming weapons, she tried to get a lock on the leading craft in an attempt to force it to break away, or force its attention on her to avoid getting outflanked.

With the completion of the combat simulation training, the trainees would undertake Air Combat Training. This time each trainee would issued their own single seater Mig29 and given trainee dog tags. They would be put on permanent scramble notice. If and when the warning beacon on their dog tags light up it means that it is time to scramble. They would have 10 minutes to reach their plane and another 5 minutes to get airborne when they would be informed of the tactical situation by a Controller in an orbiting AWACS. There would be no discernible pattern on who would be called or when they would be called. Sometimes barely one hours after one mission, the same pilot may get tasked again, sometimes 2 or 3 days may go without activity leaving the pilot in a state of suspended nervousness.

During the actual training the trainees would be subjected to a variety of combat scenarios like Beyond Visual Horizon Air War(BCHAR), Low Altitude Combat(LAC), Air Combat Maneuvers(ACM), Combined Air Attack Tactics(CAAT), Deep Strike Tactics(DST), Anti- Radiation Warfare(ARW), Ground Assault Tactics(GAT), Air Defense Neutralization Tactics(ADNT) and Sustained Air Defense Doctrine(SADC).

In BVHAR the trainees would be expected to neutralize identified enemy targets before they cross a certain radius in range.

In LAC the trainees would be expected to fly through a set of way 3 dimensional way points never venturing more than a certain altitude to stay below the Radar Ceiling.

In ACM the trainees would engage in close air combat with fighters using only their cannons.

In CAAT, the trainees would perform formation air attack in groups of 2,4,8 and 16 against multiple enemy groups. It would test the situational awareness and teamwork skills in a combat environment where missiles and cannons would both be used.

In DST, trainees would perform deep strike missions within the enemy airspace, evading enemy air defenses and enemy air assets to lob a particular pay load from a particular altitude.

In ARW, trainees would have to neutralize a radar network.

In ADNT, trainees would have to neutralize the radar and air defense network of a region.

In SADC, trainees would be subjected to continuous combat operations interspersed with fueling from Aerial Tankers and occasional landings to rearm. Weapon efficiency and combat stamina will be tested in this stage where the Mission Controller would test the trainee on all above aspects of combat. SADC is a continuous 10 hour long mission.

A successful completion of SADC would mean that the trainee is ready top graduate from the Air Warfare Academy, Pavlodar.

The final part of training was, as usual, the toughest on the pilots. Though Sørensen's knowledge of the technical aspect of a fighter plane still couldn't be called 'up to par' without a large helping of optimism, her behavior during the scrambles made it clear how she had managed to pass Zargathian flight school despite her lack of knowledge. It was true that she still tended to be reckless, but she kept a good eye out for her wingmen and managed to pull them through some of the combat missions by their teeth.

Every time McFadden's dog tag would light up the crews would find him prepped and ready to go, calmly walking to his aircraft for takeoff. The man seemed to have an uncanny amount of knowledge on when his name would have been up, though it was a mystery how he seemed to know. Nevertheless, his flying style made the missions seem easy, and a sharp contrast with Sørensen's aggressive flying style.

At the end of the SADC, a number of pilots had performed inadequately, and would not be graduating the Academy. One pilot had been unlucky enough to stumble while attempting to reach his plane during one of the nighttime scrambles, and break his kneecap on the pavement. Despite being unable to continue -- he'd be in crutches for the next couple of weeks during rehabilitation -- he chose to remain with the other trainees to support them.

Overall, 87% of the Engineers and 80% of the pilots would graduate, a total of two Engineers and five pilots failing the final tests. Chen would have barely graduated due to time constraints given her strong perfectionistic streak, but her analytical abilities during team tests as well as her own technical skill managed to compensate for it.

With the completion of their combat flight training, the Zargathian aviators were almost ready to graduate. One morning they were all called for assembly and Col. Sathar spoke to them, "Officers, you all have done well. Now you are proficient fighters who can command a Mig29 to do their bidding. Now before graduation you aviators have the choice of an optional training session. There is no compulsion that you take either or any of these courses because in itself they are extremely dangerous to mind and body."

"The first one is Ejection Training. You would be subjected to mock ejections of progressively 2G, 4G and 6G forces. Any emergency ejection from an aircraft is an extremely dangerous operation with grave risks of heinous injury to your body."

"The second one is Survival Training. In this course you would be taught how to survive in harsh climates where you may have landed if and when your aircraft is shot up. You would be taught how to live off the nature. You would also be taught basic Interrogation Resistance. As combat fighter pilots you would be price gems for any enemy intelligence unit to extract vital tactical and strategic intelligence about your nation. In Interrogation Resistance you would be taught about the various things you can during such a time."

"If none of you are interested in any of these courses we can conduct the graduation ceremony very soon."

McFadden and Chen looked at one another for a moment, discussing the available options amongst them. The trainees and pilots behind them were doing the same thing, though staying in line several murmurs could be heard from amongst them. After a short while, both CO's turned back to Colonel Sathar.

- "Very well, we will accept these additional courses. All of us."

Several protests could be heard, but McFadden sent one look over his shoulder made them die down. He may have been easygoing, most pilots knew better than to get on his bad side.

• 3 weeks later...

The Survival Training included parachuting the aviators into a remote area of the Taklamakan desert and expected to find their way to a drop zone and survive. They would be given a special radio beacon that should be only activated during a dire emergency, an operation which would immediately fail the aviator in the Survival Training. It would however not impede the graduation of the aviator. Equipped only with the standard combat pack as issued to the aviators of a fighter plane, the aviators would have to survive through sheer grit and determination.

In the Interrogation Training, special trainers from Royal Cochin Special Forces and National Intelligence Agency. The aviators would be subjected to extreme interrogation techniques like sleep deprivation and sensory deprivation. Once the required performance has been obtained by the NIA examiners, the aviators would pass this course.

One month after the completion of this program the graduation ceremony would be conducted at the Air Warfare Academy, Pavlodar. Amyante Tojimaru, the Queen of Zargathia would be invited to the graduation ceremony which would also be attended by His Highness Rama Varma, the King of Cochin, Gen. Mahesh Varma, Commander of Royal Cochin Defense Forces and Air Vice Marshal Praveen Kumar, Commander of Royal Cochin Air Force.

Sørensen's energetic personality meant she had been close to failing the Survival Training based on the fact that preservation of strength was an important part of being able to survive in a hostile and extreme environment such as... well, the desert they were parachuted into. Fortunately for her they had been dropped in pairs to have a safeguard in place if one was too incapacitated for whatever reason to use the beacon that had been provided, and her partner happened to be McFadden.

Though it would go too far to call the man experienced in wasteland survival, he still remembered a trick or two from his time with the mercs, chief among which was to only move during sunrise and sunset, as the nights were as cold as the days were hot. It would also help greatly in orientation, as it was easy to end up going in circles in the sandy hills of the desert if one was not careful. Another trick was to keep the body covered by some basic modifications to their field blankets to allow for good air circulation and protection from the sun, as the best way of preserving water was to preserve sweat.

At the end of the course, McFadden was in considerably better shape than Sørensen, though she was in no condition a good night of sleep wouldn't be able to cure. Around ten recruits failed the survival test, three teams getting lost whereas two other teams had to request an evac due to medical reasons, one trainee slipping and getting injured in the fall, another having been bitten by a snake. After medical treatment, they would both be fine.

Interrogation training went smoothly, oddly enough, the vast majority of the trainees already used to the techniques as ZEIS members. Sørensen hadn't been one of them, but her body had by then recovered from her time in the desert and sleep deprivation... had never fazed her much to begin with. Though a number of them -- mostly the engineers -- were nervous, a whopping 90% managed to pass the test, a total of one pilot and three engineers breaking under the psychological strain of sensory deprivation.

At the end of the final leg of training, Amyante was escorted into the base, feeling a bit excited to hear how her pilots and engineers had been holding up. The planes were quite a bit different from the Hind helicopters in service in the Zargathian Air Force, and the new planes would be seen as a massive step forward in the ZAF's development. Still, it would depend on good pilots to actually be effective, which was why the Queen had requested to be present at the graduation ceremony to begin with. The trainees knew nothing of this of course.

The Queen of Zargathia would be welcomed by an RCAF Guard of Honor and conducted to the addressing stage built near the Terminal. Across from the Stage would be a gleaming row of 50 Mig29s and 25 Su30s in freshly painted Zargathian livery. The Queen was met by the King and introduced to the other senior RCDF officers and also to Col. Abdul Sathar the Commanding Officer of the Training Batch.

"Your Excellency, I am proud to have trained these fine aviators and engineers of Zargathian Air Force. In the past few months they have proven themselves to stand alongside the best aviators of Royal Cochin Air Force."

At that time, the ranks of trainee aviators and engineers marched towards the Addressing Stage to the beats of Zargathian and Cochin military bands.

Amyante smiled at Col. Sathar as he praised the recruits she had sent to Pavlodar, giving him a small nod in appreciation. At that point, the military bands started playing as the first of the trainees were marched in for the graduation ceremony, and she decided to break the ice a little before turning her attention to those that would be the first group of Zargathian pilots.

- "Be careful what you wish for Colonel, you may just end up training more of my recruits."

She smirked, knowing full well that the next batch of trainees would be arriving on the day this group would leave for Zargathia again. There would be a couple of days of leave, of course, but the sight of graduated pilots leaving would hopefully encourage the next group to do even better on the training, competitiveness worked like that. Some of the recruits were spotting her now, and almost stepped out of pace as they saw her wave back. She was ready for the ceremony though and knew the trainees to be as well, they would more than likely have been looking forward to this moment as much as she had been.

Col. Abdul Sathar beamed with pride as he watched the precise cadence of the marching of these warriors whom he had trained and watched being moulded into premier fighter pilots and engineers. Though he had noted a few jarring points, like the technical inefficiency of Sorensen, over all he had been happy with their performance. The months that he had spent in AWA would soon be over before he was deployed to a combat regiment. Col. Abdul Sathar was flying out that evening to assume charge as the Regimental Commander of the RF12 Mig35 regiment in Bosaso. He had received situational reports that said of the increasing tensions and possibilities of the Kingdom being at war. In such a case he would be at the frontlines at Mach+ and firing death at his nation's enemies.