Colombian Talks

loannes

A sleek black limousine drives along the roadways of Panama City, twisting its way through the traffic and road bends. Inside Álvaro Uribe Vélez is busy reading notes on the current American climate both weatherly and political in preparation for arguing his case, if required, to the masses of why they should support him. Of course he would have to get through the American Confederation first it seemed considering they were asking for all possible candidates to meet in Panama. A high security risk if there ever was one but it was one he was willing to take.

Pulling to a stop at the building where the discussions would commence an aide got out first and opened the bullet proof door, allowing two suited bodyguards to take up their protective positions first. Satisified with the security threat they allowed Mr Vélez to exit the vehicle and guided him up the steps and into the building. Once inside they stopped for brief directions before the small group of bodyguards, aides and Mr Vélez managed to reach the room where the talks would be held.

Walking into the room and spotting the American delegation Vélez walked across to each representative and asked to shake their hands in greeting. Once the greetings were completed Vélez waited for the other candidates to arrive or for the American delegation to begin the discussion.

A sleek black limousine drives along the roadways of Panama City, twisting its way through the traffic and road bends. Inside Álvaro Uribe Vélez is busy reading notes on the current American climate both weatherly and political in preparation for arguing his case, if required, to the masses of why they should support him. Of course he would have to get through the American Confederation first it seemed considering they were asking for all possible candidates to meet in Panama. A high security risk if there ever was one but it was one he was willing to take.

Pulling to a stop at the building where the discussions would commence an aide got out first and opened the bullet proof door, allowing two suited bodyguards to take up their protective positions first. Satisified with the security threat they allowed Mr Vélez to exit the vehicle and guided him up the steps and into the building. Once inside they stopped for brief directions before the small group of bodyguards, aides and Mr Vélez managed to reach the room where the talks would be held.

Walking into the room and spotting the American delegation Vélez walked across to each representative and asked to shake their hands in greeting. Once the greetings were completed Vélez waited for the other candidates to arrive or for the American delegation to begin the discussion.

President Jefferson, a few Senators, and some Department of State officials were present. In a corner were several men, talking quietly in Spanish. As Vélez was the only one seeking independence for Columbia, no one else was there.

After all were seated, Jefferson spoke. "Good day, Mr. Vélez. I am Alexander Jefferson, president of the Confederation. I understand you wish for Columbia to be an independent state again. There are a few issues to deal with. Firstly, the Peruvians-" he nodded towards the men in the corner- "-will be cut off from the rest of America. But we'll deal with that last. We have prepared some questions for you.

What form of government do you wish to establish?"

"I intend to run Colombia as a Presidential republic, with myself as President along with a cabinet of ministers. We shall have a supreme court of Justice like yours for dealing with justice" replied Vélez as he took his seat and folded his hands in his lap whilst his bodyguards took up guard positions around him.

"How often will you hold elections?" Jefferson asked.

"Will there be a legislative body?" Senator Henry Roberts asked.

"On a scale of -5 to 5, how centralized will your nation be? -5 being most decentralized, 5 being most centralized." Senator Robert Adams said.

Vélez turned to face Jefferson first as he began to answer the questions. "Elections will be held every year either during June or July" next he faced Senator Henry Roberts and answered his question "yes there will a legislative body for preparing and making the laws or Colombia" and then he turned to face Mr Adams "As of yet that is undecided however, I do intend for the government to have a large impact on people's lives but not so that is over stepping its boundries".

"Well it is clear that the two of us will be maintaining friendly relations with one another, at least that is what I hope for. I also intend to maintain friendly relations with the other South American nations however, as of yet I don't intend to oppose ajnyone other than the Drug Cartels and the insurgents in Colombia" replied Vélez.

"We will grant Columbia independence under the following conditions," Jefferson said, taking out a paper and reading out loud.

1. Columbia will grant unconditional military access to America and New Australia

2. Five military bases will be granted to America

3. An American council will be assigned to Columbia. They will ensure Columbian and American foreign affairs do not clash

4. Grant one favor, to be specified in the future, to America. This is negotiable, to an extent.

"Number 4 is in there to make up for the American interests we will be losing in this," Jefferson finished.

"I see your terms are how shall we say worrying to me. For one you want unconditional military access when there is no need for you to be moving through our territory though I am willing to allow this. Second you wish for us to grant you five military bases which I do not feel I could allow. This is a free Colombia not a part of the American Confederation. Having American bases on our soil would make the people feel as if they are being oppressed. Thirdly a council is not required a diplomatic team at an embassy would be good enough and finally your last point I will agree to on the basis that it is never called upon for military action from us".

"I see your terms are how shall we say worrying to me. For one you want unconditional military access when there is no need for you to be moving through our territory though I am willing to allow this. Second you wish for us to grant you five military bases which I do not feel I could allow. This is a free Colombia not a part of the American Confederation. Having American bases on our soil would make the people feel as if they are being oppressed. Thirdly a council is not required a diplomatic team at an embassy would be good enough and finally your last point I will agree to on the basis that it is never called upon for military action from us".

"We will need to get military forces to Peru at some point. Hence, term 1.

Military forces need to stop and resupply occasionally. Hence, term 2.

Term 3 is there so that we do not find this decision biting us in the rear later on.

Your position on Term 4 is agreeable, but we will request military assistance if something should come up threatening both Columbia and America."