In space no one can hear you scream

King Kevz

OOC: if you wish to take part in this just shoot me a PM for details so you can join in.

IC:

"No one knows where it started or who was the first victim but now it doesn't matter anymore. Life onboard the Stargazer had been perfectly normal and dull until we had brought that pod onboard. Then all hell had broken loose. The Stargazer officially known as the Helzan Space Vessel (HSV) Stargazer is a small exploration vessel for mapping distant solar systems for habitable colonies manned by three hundred civilian personal and hundred marine personal. Right now I don't know how many of us are alive or dead"

"My name is Steven John Richards, a third rank engineer. I am twenty one years old with three years of experience on space borne craft and right now I would change all of that for a pulse rifle and some damn weapon training" I looked up suddenly as Tracia, a first rank pilot, shouted out for me to stop recording and move my backside. I couldn't blame her of course those things were still after us even with the door jammed shut, you could hear them banging on the steel with their claws and blades and the walls seem to echo with their shrieks.

"Come on Steven move it!!" she shouts gesturing towards the door at the end of the blackened and unlighted hallway. To her it might look like an easy route but to me with none of her training all it looks like is a death trap but I don't have much choice in the matter and so praying that I will be safe I force my legs into a run, trying to ignore the many vents that the beasts like to burst out of. Time seems to slow to a crawl as I run down the corridor and somehow I manage to make it and I slam my fist into the door panel screaming for it to open as I hear Tracia firing at something that shrieks and screams.

The door slides open with the scraping noise of metal straining against metal and I push myself through the opening, checking instantly for anything dangerous in the room. Seeing nothing but burnt out panels, shattered lights and darkness I turn around to see a horrific sight. The creatures are swarming into the hallway pushing onwards to reach Tracia who is doing her best to keep them at bay as she runs for the door. I scream at her to run as fast as she can and for a moment it looks like she will make it but then one of the things springs out of the floor and bites into her leg toppling her and it to the ground.

As the rest of the horrific creatures pounce on her prone body and begin to slash her apart Tracia, in her last act of life, screams for me to save her even as we both know there is nothing I can do. With tears in my eyes I slam the door panel and the metal slides back into place cutting off the sounds of her pain and death. Now I am alone again in a death ship with a host of deadly creatures and it seems with no hope of rescue.

My name is Thorald Dresden. I was in the Mess Hall when all hell broke loose.

We thought we were safe when we barricaded ourselves in, but somehow, one of the...creatures got through. We managed to contain the breach, but by then the creature had already cut down two of my shipmates, and in a horrifying manner...their dead bodies changed.

Into the same thing that had attacked us.

We managed to put down the one that had broken through, by some miracle, only after totally dismembering it. We filled both changing bodies full of holes from the knives readily available in the kitchen, and we thought the menace would leave us alone until we could find a way to escape.

We were wrong...the wounds only seemed to enrage the beasts further. I was scrabbling on my backside, reaching for anything that could be used as a weapon, when I my hand found a butcher knife. I swung wildly at the limb that was swinging toward me, closing my eyes at the last second in what I thought would be a futile attempt to stave off death...but I felt the resistance as the knife cut completely through the thing's arm. When I opened my eyes, I saw it standing there, stock-still, as if it were confused or disoriented, before it collapsed. I just barely managed to scramble out of the way of its fall...

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: Sorry for the delay :(

IC:

XMOS-13 would have sighed if she had had the lungs to. Technically speaking she wouldn't even have a gender, but the personality program installed as one of her subroutines made her refer to herself as such. Still, the android body she was in control of loudly walked over the deck as metal struck metal. It had been unfortunate that there had been a medical emergency on the station during the time she had been put offline for standard maintenance to her core, after having made a backup of herself in the memory of the partially built android body she was currently in control of.

The behavioral patterns indicated that there was a 83,47% probability of survivors currently being located in the Mess Hall. Having almost reached her destination, a creature trying to claw through the door had turned to face her and attacked, but it quickly bounced off against her metal body before having its head crushed under the foot of several tons of android. It was regrettable that no specimens could be secured for testing, but postmortem autopsies would eventually reach the same results, only slower. She would need to factor it into her reports.

At the door, she leaned against the button to open it -- another thing to note was that the creatures seemed to have low intelligence -- and walked into the Mess to switch to stationary and wait for survivors to arrive. As it was she would be needing assistance in reuploading herself into the mainframe, and she believed the crew to be of use for this task.

Edited by Amyante

OOC: if you wish to take part in this just shoot me a PM for details so you can join in.

IC:

"No one knows where it started or who was the first victim but now it doesn't matter anymore. Life onboard the Stargazer had been perfectly normal and dull until we had brought that pod onboard. Then all hell had broken loose. The Stargazer officially known as the Helzan Space Vessel (HSV) Stargazer is a small exploration vessel for mapping distant solar systems for habitable colonies manned by three hundred civilian personal and hundred marine personal. Right now I don't know how many of us are alive or dead"

"My name is Steven John Richards, a third rank engineer. I am twenty one years old with three years of experience on space borne craft and right now I would change all of that for a pulse rifle and some damn weapon training" I looked up suddenly as Tracia, a first rank pilot, shouted out for me to stop recording and move my backside. I couldn't blame her of course those things were still after us even with the door jammed shut, you could hear them banging on the steel with their claws and blades and the walls seem to echo with their shrieks.

"Come on Steven move it!!" she shouts gesturing towards the door at the end of the blackened and unlighted hallway. To her it might look like an easy route but to me with none of her training all it looks like is a death trap but I don't have much choice in the matter and so praying that I will be safe I force my legs into a run, trying to ignore the many vents that the beasts like to burst out of. Time seems to slow to a crawl as I run down the corridor and somehow I manage to make it and I slam my fist into the door panel screaming for it to open as I hear Tracia firing at something that shrieks and screams.

The door slides open with the scraping noise of metal straining against metal and I push myself through the opening, checking instantly for anything dangerous in the room. Seeing nothing but burnt out panels, shattered lights and darkness I turn around to see a horrific sight. The creatures are swarming into the hallway pushing onwards to reach Tracia who is doing her best to keep them at bay as she runs for the door. I scream at her to run as fast as she can and for a moment it looks like she will make it but then one of the things springs out of the floor and bites into her leg toppling her and it to the ground.

As the rest of the horrific creatures pounce on her prone body and begin to slash her apart Tracia, in her last act of life, screams for me to save her even as we both know there is nothing I can do. With tears in my eyes I slam the door panel and the metal slides back into place cutting off the sounds of her pain and death. Now I am alone again in a death ship with a host of deadly creatures and it seems with no hope of rescue.

Shortly before, in the room that Steven has just entered:

Rivets sprayed everywhere, many of them impacting the undead creatures, but some of them got back up again and charged toward Robert. "Die you, you, SOMETHING!" Robert yelled as he reloaded his rivet gun when it clicked empty.

He opened fired again while running backward from the mob of creatures. His rivet gun clicked empty again. One of the creatures pounced Robert from the ceiling and he reacted by cutting off the creature's head with the plasma cutter.

The creature kept on trying to attack him with it's sharp arms even though beheaded. "Off your limbs!" Robert shouted as he slashed off both of the creature's arms, killing the creature.

He reloaded his rivet gun again, but since he was low on rivets, he simply aimed for their arms. Surprisingly, more creatures were killed through the arms-only stragety rather than spray-and-pray. By the time his rivet gun clicked empty again, all of the creatures were dead.

Then the door opened behind him and somebody rushed in. Robert spun around, recognizing the person as a human, not a creature. "So, what's your name?" he asked.

XMOS-13 would have sighed if she had had the lungs to. Technically speaking she wouldn't even have a gender, but the personality program installed as one of her subroutines made her refer to herself as such. Still, the android body she was in control of loudly walked over the deck as metal struck metal. It had been unfortunate that there had been a medical emergency on the station during the time she had been put offline for standard maintenance to her core, after having made a backup of herself in the memory of the partially built android body she was currently in control of.

The behavioral patterns indicated that there was a 83,47% probability of survivors currently being located in the Mess Hall. Having almost reached her destination, a creature trying to claw through the door had turned to face her and attacked, but it quickly bounced off against her metal body before having its head crushed under the foot of several tons of android. It was regrettable that no specimens could be secured for testing, but postmortem autopsies would eventually reach the same results, only slower. She would need to factor it into her reports.

At the door, she leaned against the button to open it -- another thing to note was that the creatures seemed to have low intelligence -- and walked into the Mess to switch to stationary and wait for survivors to arrive. As it was she would be needing assistance in reuploading herself into the mainframe, and she believed the crew to be of use for this task.

At the sound of the door opening, my heart nearly stopped. Didn't these things ever give it a rest? I ducked behind a nearby table that had been overturned in the fight, gripping the knife so tightly my knuckles turned white. I could barely feel my fingers, but I was beyond caring about that. Being in a life-threatening situation tends to sort out your priorities rather nicely. I gathered my legs under me, ready to spring, when I saw what it was that had walked through. "What the...?" Whatever it was, it wasn;t hostile, so it couldn't be one of THEM.

Frantically, I stood, dropping the knife and rushing to the door, and slapped the pad that would tell it to close.

"Don't let them in here!" I screamed, almost hysterically.

XMOS-13 raised an eyebrow at Thorald's actions, taking note of the emotional state the man appeared to be in. Given the situation that had currently unfolded it was understandable, though she would have to reapply him for psychological testing once effective working parameters would be restored.

- "Your concern is noted."

Despite the human facial expressions that appeared behind the visor, the electronic voice gave away that Thorald would be talking to an android. Of course, the fact that wires were sticking out of where her arms would normally have been pointed that fact out quite nicely already. She looked at his I.D. badge, finding whom it belonged to in the crew roster in her memory banks. Matching the man's appearance with the rest of the file, she reached a positive identification of the man before her. Now that she knew his name, the personality chip required her to introduce herself in turn.

- "I am EXperimental Mainframe Operating System, version thirteen. Thorald Dresden, are there more crew members here?"

I shook my head, trying with only partial success to settle my nerves. I was still very much on edge, though the fact that the door closed did help to a degree.

I barely even noticed that this (was it an android? the calm collected portion of my mind wondered) thing somehow knew my name already. In such a state, it seemed almost a natural thing that it should know who I was. It probably even knew that I was a simple mechanic, though in my spare time I practiced with any weapons I could find. Not up to the standards of any marine, but I probably knew more than the average civilian.

"Thorald Dresden, are there more crew members here?"

"I-I-" Wwordlessly I gestured at the remains of the crewmembers that had...changed. "I don't know."

XMOS-13 nodded again in response, looking at the twice-killed remains of the crew members as Thorald gestured at them. With a little more research she could gleam quite a bit from the corpses, but the problem was that in her cut-off state, she had no access to any of the ship's systems. Judging by the nature of the emergency as well as the unreported delay on mantenance to her system, she had no alternative but to assume Engineering compromised as well.

- "I see. I require a more detailed analysis of the situation in order to access safety protocols, but have temporarily lost contact with my mainframe unit. Due to the central location of the Mess Hall as well as employee behavioral patterns there is a 83,47% probability of survivors heading to this section of the ship in preparation of evacuation or rescue procedure Alpha-six-nine."

She turned to face Thorald again, still speaking in a voice stating little more than cold facts as she saw them. He was a mechanic, and Engineer, and as such he could assist her restore basic functions on the Stargazer as its mainframe OS.

- "Restoring my uplink would activate more efficient lockdown procedures as well as a sensory scan and location of other survivors, making evacuation and rescue procedures more efficient. Suggested course of action: Wait for additional crew members, and proceed to Engineering to restore data uplink to mainframe."

I listened, the only thing really registering in my mind being the suggestion that we wait.

I nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, wait here. I most definitely agree."

At that moment, my stomach growled, distracting me from my terror. I turned around to head to the kitchen. "Excuse me, I never got to eat before the outbreak. I want to see what there is to eat in the kitchen."

I casually picked up the butcher knife, now staring at it calmly. Was I entering a stage of denial? What had happened was beyond any experience I'd had before. As I walked into the kitchen, I began telling myself that the substance on the knife was simply dried blood. Yes, that was it. The cook had simply forgotten to wash this thing...