Would you mind a Reset?

WalkerNinja

I've heard it often said, "The only reason that I play this game anymore is for this community. I love alliance X!"

If that's the case, why get upset about a reset?

Personally, I'm for it. I can get my 7k tech back, and the chance of having a level playing field again (if only for a little while) is too irresistible to me.

This very thing was tried in a certain Lunar-based game that concentrated on colony building and warfare we'll call 'LW' for discussion purposes. After a number of player complaints regarding how the politics had stagnated, the admin created LW 'Round 2', with the original version being referred to as 'Round 1'.

The result was an even more stagnated LW Round 1 and while LW Round 2 shown some initial movement, it also eventually began to bog down as the player base shrank.

The bottom line is that resetting a long running game solves nothing. If you want to improve the game, improve the game. There have any number of suggested improvements by players that are being discussed at any given moment in 'Suggestion Box', amongst the game admins, or both.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ground attacks did more damage to tech or could somehow destroy wonders a reset wouldn't be needed.

This

All that making a second server would do is split the player base and gradually kill both servers.

And this

i wouldn't mind in the least. If people are so attached to their pixels to see the obvious benefits to game play that a reset would have, I could careless if they leave; good riddance.

As to this

What benefits?

Continents/maps are a bad idea... Having "real" nation locations means you'll eventually run out of growing space and have nothing new to aim for. To be honest, I think "realism" is a bad thing for CN in general. CN is primarily a political game. The more mechanical you make it, the more nationbuilding-centric it becomes and the less political-centric it becomes. CN does not need to be Sim City.

What we really need to do to equalize things is this: Give the big guys more stuff. Yes, more. Hear me out. When I say more stuff, I mean more weapons. Give the meganations better ways to kill each other and take each other's stats down. Nukes aren't really restricted to the "big guys" anymore. They ought to have something better. Thoughts?

-Bama

Continents/maps are a bad idea... Having "real" nation locations means you'll eventually run out of growing space and have nothing new to aim for. To be honest, I think "realism" is a bad thing for CN in general. CN is primarily a political game. The more mechanical you make it, the more nationbuilding-centric it becomes and the less political-centric it becomes. CN does not need to be Sim City.

What we really need to do to equalize things is this: Give the big guys more stuff. Yes, more. Hear me out. When I say more stuff, I mean more weapons. Give the meganations better ways to kill each other and take each other's stats down. Nukes aren't really restricted to the "big guys" anymore. They ought to have something better. Thoughts?

-Bama

I've proposed MIRVed missiles, which acts as a counter to SDI (along with reducing nuke maintenance cost). Remember too that large nations can afford WRC and a substantial sub force, which tend to increase the lethality of nuke attacks significantly.

If you are looking for a "wonder weapon" that would blow a 1,000 infra/land and 500 tech off a nation at a whack, then I would humbly submit that CN with such weaponry wouldn't be very much fun to play and would likely cause wars to boil down to whoever has the most wonder weapons wins. So much for tactics and strategy.

-Bama

While I love the idea of purchasing different weapons (choose b/t types of tanks, etc.) I believe that having a continent instead of limitless sphere would create more entertainment, infinite growing space would be enabled through infra, tech and the option of increasing land by either; a) sharing it with a neighbor, B) taking it from your neighbor, c) establishing a colony on one of the new continents..

This would mean that everything I have done in this game up until now has been a complete waste of my life.

I don't think I'm stable enough to face that harsh reality.

This, and it's been so long since I built my nation that I no longer remember how to do it properly (this is implying I did it properly the first time, which I didn't) and I don't wish to relearn.

Let me get this straight. The reason you don't want a reset is so that you don't lose your Silver and Lead? :blink:

Silver I'm ambivalent about. Lead's the future, guys! (OK, for those who wonder if I'm doing this due to having had a steady diet of it as a child..it's just a fun thing I like to do once I found out how much the rest of the world hated lead.)

-Bama

One issue with megaweapons is that they find their way down the ranks due to attrition, or at least nukes and military improvements and wonders do. It's fun to see two huge nations swinging meganukes at each other ... but when one gets bombed back down to ZI and still retains a few weapons, or when another voluntarily brings itself down in ranks, it's possible for some who are just getting the hang of the game to get blasted to bits and damping their enthusiasms. Remember, curbstomps are bad, right? Of course, whatever's added could add to your nation strength (say, a few thousand for the biggest?), but still not quite sure about how to keep it a big-nation toy.

Actually theres been some very good points raised here...

1: second server... bad... yeah i can see now how it could spell the end of both versions of the game

2: Current CN rewards cowards... yep its true... no value is given to strong imperial alliances... instead alliances that stay out of conflict gain the most which = not much doing in the political landscape and longer and longer peace period between global wars = people getting impatient and starting threads about server resets to make things interesting again.

3: This could be improved easilly by tweaking the game settings to say double the loot caps for tech / land / cash in successfull ground attacks. The infra loss could stay the same but id like to see the victor reap some more reward in battle.

What do you mean when you say the end product of the game is war and in what way is it? Also, what connection do you place on those two separate sentences?

Basically, everything you build is used for war and war only. There is really no other purpose to this game, building a nation and politics would be completely pointless if it wasn't for war. There's hardly any depth to nation building, it's not a game in and of itself, unless you're easily pleased.

Oh come on, I have nearly as many casualties as MOTU. A lot of nations are more active in wars than he is, and yet he's #1 in NS.

There are lots of people who play this game simply to boost their stats.

There's only so much you can do on the infra purchase screen.. I guess that's why there are so few neutrals. The people at the top are there because war in general has a tendency to hurt nations. Especially nations that do not have all wonders yet. I still stand by my statement that CN is a war game, because war has much more depth in this game than nation building. Nation building is just the build-up to war.

The funny thing is, the guys at the top, who got there by not fighting, are also the ones that will be hurt the least by short/medium wars. They have collected such a retarded amount of money that rebuilding is easy.

Edited by Viluin

making tech finite would be pretty cool.

it might even add some strategy to how people build alliances... do you give all your tech to a handful of heavy hitters, or spread it out evenly...

you know, everytime I think of a small way to change the game, I can't help but think of how it would affect TOP. They really would get the short end of the stick in almost any scenario. But I guess when you're on top (HAW HAW HAW) the only place to go is down.

Pretty sure I remember people talking about lowering the caps on looting from wars to stop NPO being so aggressive. It seems the opposite is happening now because people want TOP or whoever to be more aggressive. (I may be wrong).

Ugh, I hate it when people try and use game mechanics to influence politics. This game could do with a great many changes and upgrades, but some of the things people suggest are just ridiculous.

Go for it!!! Do eet, nao!

I will reroll into TOP or the NPO, just to see how the elite or the Francoists live. Not much chance of that happening without a reset.

Chances are, not much chances of that happening with a reset.

I agree, and would love to have a reset, putting everything as it stands now with 0 infra/tech. Problem is, it would become a much different game.

All current culture and history would be absolved.

LW did it in a much shorter span, and it was a disaster.

CN could pull it off, but would the game be any better for it? That is the real question.

EDIT:

The history, and culture to this game are more important than the stats.

Whoa...did I say that? Yeah, call me Irkle.

Edited by Chalaskan

i wouldn't mind in the least. If people are so attached to their pixels to see the obvious benefits to game play that a reset would have, I could careless if they leave; good riddance.

I can understand that you want to look all cool and stuff because you don't care about your pixels (btw I think you should re-roll right now to prove to everyone just how carefree you are. No? Okay then) but it's pretty natural for the casual player to be annoyed when any time (and in some cases money) that they've invested into something is lost completely because a few people on OWF - which itself is a very small and unrepresentative sample of players - are bored with the state of politics. The simple idea that a nation is just a bunch of pixels on a screen (or more correctly, 1s and 0s) doesn't change the fact that people have invested into it and could conceivably become disillusioned when it completely vanishes for the sake your 'obvious benefits'... whatever they are.

Ive dumped 943 days into this game and at least 100 dollars in donations (albeit it was other peoples money through donation deals). Still i dont want my efforts to go to waste. I play CN because I lead an alliance in CN and because of stats and infra. I want to be ranked #1.

The only way I would accept a reset is if I was able to keep the $400 in infra I purchased on this. Otherwise, hell, no!

Exactly, I really hope I've not been pumping in $20 a month for two years to get my nation large only for someone to pull the plug. If they do, I'll either not bother coming back after the reset or if I do come back, I can guarantee you I wont be donating again.

Edited by Mayzie

I've heard it often said, "The only reason that I play this game anymore is for this community. I love alliance X!"

If that's the case, why get upset about a reset?

I'm one of those people who would leave if there was a reset. I also am still here for more than community. CN is a canvas upon which works of political art are made. The mechanics of the game, and the relatively high intelligence of alliance leaders, allow for organization of a level of complexity unknown to all other games, both in forging alliances and inter-alliance relations.

A reset would cripple attempts to make alliances from an initial core of high-strength members for a long time, which is EXACTLY what I want to do one day.