Technology Stats Help

Voodoo Nova

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very very thick.

The BGM-71E can punch through 1000mm of armor that's BEHIND reactive armor.

What kind of material? Stainless steel? Titanium? Depleted uranium mesh with steel, Kevlar, and shock absorbing gel? Bamboo wood?

If it can kill the super tank with one hit, then I might have to add extra weight to the super tank by adding a long range missile and aircraft defense system or a load of more armoring. I'd seriously doubt a tank that weights 95 to 130 tons would move very fast...

Edited by HHAYD

What kind of material? Stainless steel? Titanium? Depleted uranium mesh with steel, Kevlar, and shock absorbing gel? Bamboo wood?

If it can kill the super tank with one hit, then I might have to add extra weight to the super tank by adding a long range missile and aircraft defense system or a load of more armoring. I'd seriously doubt a tank that weights 95 to 130 tons would move very fast...

It wouldn't move fast at all.... :P

I'd give it about 8-13 mph

I have a question.

On the Steinhammer-G, I've given it's 150mm gun a 5m long barrel. I don't know how to calculate any of this, and I'm worried that such a long barrel will instead slow down the bullet instead of making it "super high velocity".

I think I can solve any problems by having a second charge go off mid-barrel, and it's easy to make it thick enough to survive the blast, but it would still be good to get some other people's opinions.

Edited by BaronUberstein

It would be limited to roads because of its size and weight, least it getting stuck in bumps and hills. A damaged tread will mean millions in the combined cost of moving, repairing, and redeployment of that beast. The turning speed has got to be horrifying, and it won't fare well in airplanes, if at all. Countless engineering problems arise with larger and heavier vehicles (those can be overcome, alas not easily). The millions, if not hundreds of millions or even billions in the long run, is much better spent on other things that are comparativly lower costing and better to have more than one near-useless beast. Its combat functions are more useful dispersed over many other vehicles.

Final verdict: quite very possible, but not worth the cost to build. Its risk factor in the modern battlefield, where close range combat still exists, is quite high. No off-roading for this, and less-quality roads will most likely have to be repaired behind it (no overpasses either :P). Its vulnerable to surprise attacks as well. But after all this information I just made is factored in with the fact that this is a roleplay board and not a life imitation board, the tank is worth it because you can (sorta) choose if the tank survives every encounter it encounters, nulling my points as to why you should not make it.

I have a question.

On the Steinhammer-G, I've given it's 150mm gun a 5m long barrel. I don't know how to calculate any of this, and I'm worried that such a long barrel will instead slow down the bullet instead of making it "super high velocity".

I think I can solve any problems by having a second charge go off mid-barrel, and it's easy to make it thick enough to survive the blast, but it would still be good to get some other people's opinions.

Honestly, I'm not the expert, but I do believe a longer barrel serves to make the bullets more accurate, at the cost of some velocity.

Honestly, I'm not the expert, but I do believe a longer barrel serves to make the bullets more accurate, at the cost of some velocity.

The thing is though, it doesn't make sense to have an extremely long barrel, if the projectile can't reach the target. There needs to be a balance. This could make for good R&D RP now that I think...

Billy: "Hey Jim, lets try the 500ft barrel"

Jim: "Ok"

*Screws 500ft barrel on

*Billy shoots gun

*projectile rolls out

The thing is though, it doesn't make sense to have an extremely long barrel, if the projectile can't reach the target. There needs to be a balance. This could make for good R&D RP now that I think...

Billy: "Hey Jim, lets try the 500ft barrel"

Jim: "Ok"

*Screws 500ft barrel on

*Billy shoots gun

*projectile rolls out

Well, I'm just sticking with 55 calibers now, which is the same length 120mm uses. So while the 120mm uses a 6.6m barrel, I'm using an 8.2m barrel.

This will be a redo of my suggestion to cut down the weight of the armoring and some weapon modification:

The tank will obviously be extremely slow due to its sheer weight of the armoring and weapons. Its main purpose is to destroy or disable even the toughest, heaviest enemy tanks while being able to protect itself.

Cannon size: 280mm, fire rate is one shell per 10 seconds.

Turret's nest (on top of the turret) weapons: a .50 caliber machine gun and 20mm cannon. It will also have an anti-missile missile launcher which fires "fire and forget" anti missile missiles, and an anti aircraft missile launcher which fires "fire and forget" missiles at low flying aircraft.

Armoring: It is very similar to M-1 Abrams Tank's armoring http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams#Armor, with some modifications. The depleted uranium mesh covers all parts of the tank, not just the front hull and turret. The overall armoring has the same strength in all parts of the tank (except for the side parts of the tracks, they instead have thicker depleted uranium mesh and shock absorbing gel). Most of the shock absorbing gel is mixed with the uranium mesh and others on more vulnerable parts, such as mechanical gears, weapons, and the turret. The armoring underneath the tank is designed to funnel explosions outward, thickest in the center and on the edges, thinnest on the front and back edges, rendering landmines useless. However, unlike the first proposed tank, the overall armoring is thinned and has twice the amount of shock absorbing gel to make it up for the reduced armoring. There will also be shock absorbers (aka dampers) located in the mechanical gears, windows, and fragile equipments to prevent mechanical/equipment failures and window shattering. The overall armor thickness is about 50 cm.

To protect the machine gunners and the tank drivers, the bullet resistant window reinforced with depleted uranium mesh and the armoring surrounding it is thickest part of the armoring. Behind those windows are thick steel hatches in case if the windows are completely busted open.

Weight: Extremely heavy, probably 90 ton or something from all of those armoring and weapons. It will pose a problem when transporting it to the front line, and a problem to enemy tanks.

Speed: Max speed is around 20mph on road. Rarely on road since the weight can rip up weak roads and fall through bridges unless if in combat.

Max operational distance: 190 miles.

Weak spots: The windows. Once blown out, the operators would have to slam close to steel hatches and backtrack all the way back to the repair site. A bunker buster or a high powered AT missile can smack fatal damages into the tank. High explosive weapons would have little effect on the tank's armoring since it is filled with shock absorbing gel and shock absorbers (aka dampers). It would take multiple heavy carpet bombing with powerful high explosive bombs/missiles to shatter the tank to the point where it suffers from serious internal damages or is disabled.

Edited by HHAYD

Would it be possible to use carbon fiber in the super tank instead of steel? Or would it be too brittle to withstand explosions?

I am planning on using a shock absorbent/reinforcement wallpaper (which is even stronger than dry walls) in the tank's armoring, X-flex: http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/product/x-...otection-system

The X-flex blast protection system can be used to stop shrapnel from spalling from harming the tank operators and in case if the carbon fiber armoring fails, it can still hold the armoring in place.

I am also planning on developing and using...

XM25 counter defilade target engagement system: http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/product/xm...gagement-system

It is designed to fire explosive programmed shells at enemies who are hiding behind cover and explode over their head, showering them with shrapnel and shockwave from the explosion.

Ears Gunshot Localization System: http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/product/ea...lization-system

It is designed to pinpoint the exact location of snipers by tracking where the bullet's sound is coming from.

Double guns in one turret doesn't really work for land vehicles.

Unless you want to build the SMS landship Beowulf!

smsbeowulf.jpg

But I have a double-barrelled tank. For anyone who has played RA2, it's the apacolypse tank, and for anyone who hasn't played RA2, it's the tank in my sig. :awesome:

Edited by KaiserMelech Mikhail

Would it be possible to use carbon fiber in the super tank instead of steel? Or would it be too brittle to withstand explosions?

I am planning on using a shock absorbent/reinforcement wallpaper (which is even stronger than dry walls) in the tank's armoring, X-flex: http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/product/x-...otection-system

The X-flex blast protection system can be used to stop shrapnel from spalling from harming the tank operators and in case if the carbon fiber armoring fails, it can still hold the armoring in place.

Carbon fiber burns at 400+ °C, so you might want to avoid it. The X-flex article doesn't say whether it works on sharp objects, only blunt ones, but it looks like it's used to hold together weaker walls, which a tank's armor doesn't quite qualify as.

I am also planning on developing and using...

XM25 counter defilade target engagement system: http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/product/xm...gagement-system

It is designed to fire explosive programmed shells at enemies who are hiding behind cover and explode over their head, showering them with shrapnel and shockwave from the explosion.

Ears Gunshot Localization System: http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/product/ea...lization-system

It is designed to pinpoint the exact location of snipers by tracking where the bullet's sound is coming from.

I already use the XM25 so I hope there's no problem there, (say, want to purchase some? :D), and the Ears Gunshot-thing certainly doesn't appear to have any advanced tech, just 3 mikes, a processor, battery, screen and a speaker.

Is this gun design possible with either 1) No chainsaw or 2) with the chainsaw.

gears-of-war-20060725103816433.jpg

Im not sure how it totally works in the game its from but you have to rev it up a bit before using and it only activates for like a few seconds at best. Not sure howd it work or work at all in real life.

Is this gun design possible with either 1) No chainsaw or 2) with the chainsaw.

gears-of-war-20060725103816433.jpg

Im not sure how it totally works in the game its from but you have to rev it up a bit before using and it only activates for like a few seconds at best. Not sure howd it work or work at all in real life.

In RL, chainsaws would get clogged up with gore easily. Unless if that gun has some kind of a chainsaw that can resist gore clogging, then the chainsaw would be useless.

In RL, chainsaws would get clogged up with gore easily. Unless if that gun has some kind of a chainsaw that can resist gore clogging, then the chainsaw would be useless.

How easy do they clog up. I was thinking of them being used to slice tendons and skin rather than actually cut some one in half or cutting a limb off. So it would be a quick slash with the chainsaw like a blade rather than digging it in and slashing someone in half.