Technology Stats Help

Voodoo Nova

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1332126374' post='2940075']
The Verne gun (singular, by the way) uses what's proposed by [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29"]Project Orion[/url], the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_pulse_propulsion"]Nuclear Pulse Drive[/url], except on a considerably larger scale.
Note that on 'interplanetary scale', the nuclear bombs used would have a yield of 0.35 kilotons to propel a ship with the mass of 10,000 tons. Also note that a far larger vessel had been proposed, a so-called 'Super Orion', with a total mass of around 8,000,000 tons.
Compare 10,000 kilotons propelling 280,000 tons into low LEO (80-160 km), to 800*0.35=280 kilotons propelling 10,000 tons into LEO (160-480 km). It's not as impossible as you think.
[/quote]
Is there no difference between using one time 10 mt or 800 times 0.35 kt? Also, the payload of the 10,000 ton spacecraft is about 6,100 tons, as the rest are bombs that are used and the craft slowly gets lighter. Also of the 8,000,000 tons of the Super Orion over 3,000,000 tons are just the propulsion unit. It may not be impossible, but I doubt the use of nuclear propulsion on a sustained rate is not completely translatable to a nuclear propulsion in a space gun. At least, your underground explosions don't produce as much fallout as if it were sustained explosions, though the use of 10 mt compared to 280 kt may create still a good quantity of fallout that gets blown out the tube with the spacecraft.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1332149667' post='2940162']
The technology is pretty crude if you are popping nukes off behind a large plate of metal tied to a chunk of whatever. Not sure it's a point worth fussing over.
[/quote]
Basically, that's what happens. It's slightly more complicated (large hole, shaped detonation, specially prepared plate of metal, etc), but the gist is that. Popping nukes behind a large plate of metal.

[quote name='Evangeline Anovilis' timestamp='1332156221' post='2940173']
Is there no difference between using one time 10 mt or 800 times 0.35 kt? Also, the payload of the 10,000 ton spacecraft is about 6,100 tons, as the rest are bombs that are used and the craft slowly gets lighter. Also of the 8,000,000 tons of the Super Orion over 3,000,000 tons are just the propulsion unit. It may not be impossible, but I doubt the use of nuclear propulsion on a sustained rate is not completely translatable to a nuclear propulsion in a space gun. At least, your underground explosions don't produce as much fallout as if it were sustained explosions, though the use of 10 mt compared to 280 kt may create still a good quantity of fallout that gets blown out the tube with the spacecraft.
[/quote]
10 MT are around 35.7 times the power of 280 KT. 280,000 tons is - obviously - 28 times what 10,000 tons is. Please note I never said that the 280,000 tons do not include the propulsion unit. I only said 'x tons of material', which can and does include that unit.
The only difference between the two propulsion units is that for one, all power get applied all at once, the detonation chamber shaped to get as much as possible at the plate.
For the other, less than 50% of the nuclear detonation's power is actually applied unless shaped charges are used, in which case a lot -less- than 800 nukes would have to be utilised. I would say that the difference between one shaped or multiple non-shaped warheads, even if there is one, is negligible.
Fallout... Funny thing, larger, more powerful bombs have less fallout in comparison, largely thanks to using fusion reactions instead of fission for their devastating power.

[quote name='Markus Wilding' timestamp='1332164567' post='2940199']
Why does it matter?

Go RP. Stop arguing about the feasibility of tech.
[/quote]
Unlike some, I like elaborating about the possibility of everything I do. As always, my only limit generally is time, or money.

[quote name='Markus Wilding' timestamp='1332164567' post='2940199']
Why does it matter?

Go RP. Stop arguing about the feasibility of tech.
[/quote]
Well, as it is not detrimental to anyones national security, I don't think it matters too much, but some people still like to be called at least somewhat realistic.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1332172516' post='2940237']
10 MT are around 35.7 times the power of 280 KT. 280,000 tons is - obviously - 28 times what 10,000 tons is. Please note I never said that the 280,000 tons do not include the propulsion unit. I only said 'x tons of material', which can and does include that unit.
The only difference between the two propulsion units is that for one, all power get applied all at once, the detonation chamber shaped to get as much as possible at the plate.
For the other, less than 50% of the nuclear detonation's power is actually applied unless shaped charges are used, in which case a lot -less- than 800 nukes would have to be utilised. I would say that the difference between one shaped or multiple non-shaped warheads, even if there is one, is negligible.
Fallout... Funny thing, larger, more powerful bombs have less fallout in comparison, largely thanks to using fusion reactions instead of fission for their devastating power.
[/quote]
The difference is mostly in that the sustained explosions are used to smooth out the process so that manned flight is possible. Though I guess the Verne Gun will be used just for wares anyway. Right?

[quote name='EvangelineAnovilis' timestamp='1332192287' post='2940339']
The difference is mostly in that the sustained explosions are used to smooth out the process so that manned flight is possible. Though I guess the Verne Gun will be used just for wares anyway. Right?
[/quote]
The launch loops are used to send people to space. The Verne Gun is purely for cargo launches.

[quote name='Evangeline Anovilis' timestamp='1332192287' post='2940339']
Well, as it is not detrimental to anyones national security, I don't think it matters too much, but some people still like to be called at least somewhat realistic.

[/quote]
I direct you to [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=106348&view=findpost&p=2844091"]this[/url] post, in which it says,
>>Now, I say "sails into orbit", but of course it is more like "slammed by thousands of gs of acceleration", so this has to be unmanned - any human beings on board would instantly be converted into a thin layer of bloody chunky salsa covering the deck plates.<<

• 2 weeks later...

Using the advanced technologies of the early 90's. . .
What would it take to make the Iraqi Project Babylon in CNRP?
Project Babylon is fun 90's technology!
Project Babylon is fun Iraqi technology!
Should we allow such a weapon in CNRP?
Even if it's entirely feasible with 90's technology?
Is Project Babylon a tank or cruise missile slot?

How can mixing NASA shuttle crawler with HARP cannon be wrong?

Allow me to present Generalissimo’s advanced schematic of the concept.

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1333159652' post='2945838'][center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Crawler-Transporter.jpg/320px-Crawler-Transporter.jpg[/img]
+
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Project_Harp.jpg[/img]
=
? ? ?[/center][/quote]

No. Landcruiser that can manufacture tanks on the fly.
[img]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/009/4/3/UEF___Fatboy_1_by_Napseis.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.wikia.com/supcom/images/4/4f/UEFT4Fatboy.jpg[/img]

Can also double as a mobile fire base, and refuel/re-arm helicopters and VTOL aircraft. :D

[quote name='Executive Minister' timestamp='1333372004' post='2947282']
Well, im not sure about MOBs (they seem almost stupidly vulnerable to even a half-assed attack) but my landcruiser would be purely noncanonical in a semi-canon thread. Unless they're actually allowed :awesome:
[/quote]
That would indeed be [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/awesome.gif[/img]