BAWWWWWW explained.

Gabryal

I have come to realize that easily half the people on these forums have no idea what Clash means when he's told them to stop BAWWWWing. It occurs to me that those of us who actually were around when the internet came into it's existence have a firmer grasp on it's concepts than the flood of people who have come after us, the one's who now populate Myspace, Facebook and Twitter and annoy the living hell out of the older generation who actually had a concept of how the internet works

Since there are rules to this forum about linking anything that someone might actually take offense too, I recommend going to whatever search engine you prefer ( wow... I remember when there was no such thing... ) and looking up the Encyclopedia Dramatica. Of important note are the following articles on the following:

Incontinent Student Bodies ( explains BAWWWWWtism )

13-year old boys

Aspies

Hugbox

and finally and most important

The Rules of the Internet

To which for this new generation I feel I must add one, just so half the world doesn't take offense to the fact that we were here first, and thus made the rules. I could say "Deal with it" but I've decided to be generous and take the time to add one, on a temporary basis, until such time as Anonymous decides to add it ( tough, Anonymous is legion, deal with us )

Rule 48. Words on the Internet do not equate to anything in the world gone mad. ( look up that last phrase too )

Pay attention in particular to rule 20 and rule 42 and 43, before you explode into a drama fit

You're welcome.

I am pretty sure that I was playing a multiplayer computer game before most of you were born (1982), and over a blazing 300 baud modem at that!

LoL... I was only a kid then and my first PC was a Tandy 1000 back in 84. I remember surfing the next back at 300 baud and would upgrade every time a new faster modem came out... 1200, 33.6, 56k. The old glory days of BBS. All I can say now is, I love my 5-6mbit download speed :D

RulesOfTheInternet.jpg

Lol, these are the rules of the new generation.

I didn't put them up just in case some mod might get in a tiz over it. As for all those who came before me, I started in the glory days of the 28.8kps modem, so yea some of you have a leap on me. I remember when IRC first started to be more than just a random chat server generator, and when 4chan was all the rage. I think my first email address was one of those that went a*56s42, or something like that, way before the @ symbol was added.

I also remember the period in the mid to late nineties when you could trade pron for anything, remember when you'd go "Hey I'd like the "Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon" album from you, and the response would be "It'll be 150 .bmp of redheads, nothing smaller than 240x120 32bit color depth" ahhh those were the glory days...

Edit: 45 is one of my favorites and one of the most often broken in my experience.

Edited by Gabryal

My first college compsci class was programming with punch cards. That is right we used a punch card system, and ring-and-grid memory was the hot thing. Basic, COBAL, PASCAL, Fortran, ADA, and C. I still have all of my old computers in working order, starting with the TI-99/4, complete with voice module circa 1979. It was a piece of garbage until they came out with the extended BASIC module, though.