IRC Question

King Hendrix

Client used most often: mIRC

Server connecting to: coldfront

Every time I try to hit the "connect" button, it takes a minute and I get the message "Unable to connect to server". I get the same result if I use mIRC, Chatzilla, and the one through my alliance, I think it's coldfront. I have all the options set to the way my alliance said to do it, but still nothing. Could anybody possibly have a solution?

Client used most often: mIRC

Server connecting to: coldfront

Every time I try to hit the "connect" button, it takes a minute and I get the message "Unable to connect to server". I get the same result if I use mIRC, Chatzilla, and the one through my alliance, I think it's coldfront. I have all the options set to the way my alliance said to do it, but still nothing. Could anybody possibly have a solution?

Your network administrator could be blocking these kind of sites.

or

I had a similar problem on 1 particular machine, after dowloading Java it worked fine.

See what happens when you use mibbit. I get the feeling that port 6667 is blocked via firewall or router, but mibbit's a webclient and uses port 80. If that was blocked, you wouldn't be able to come here in the first place. :P Of course, the best solution is to fix the port issue. Do you have a firewall installed? It could also be something to do with your router.

Oh, there's also a European server (I forget the name of which right now) that runs on port 5556, I think, you can try that one. You'll see it in the server info when you log in from mibbit.

Edited by Locke

Coldfront's server list, with ports:

- irc.coldfront.net (random server)
- 
- storm.coldfront.net   port 6667 SSL port 7778	  - Central USA
- ice.coldfront.net	 port 5556,6667 SSL port 7778 - Europe (NL)
- subzero.coldfront.net port 6667 SSL port 7778	  - USA
- frozen.coldfront.net  port 6667 SSL port 7778	  - USA

You can also try using Coldfront's Java client, at http://www.coldfront.net/webchat/chat.php

If neither of those work, you can try Mibbit as mentioned above. If you are connecting from a public place, i.e a library, the connection could be blocked (I'm pretty sure I got Mibbit blocked in my school district, heh), or it could be a port or firewall issue.

Coldfront's server list, with ports:

- irc.coldfront.net (random server)
- 
- storm.coldfront.net   port 6667 SSL port 7778	  - Central USA
- ice.coldfront.net	 port 5556,6667 SSL port 7778 - Europe (NL)
- subzero.coldfront.net port 6667 SSL port 7778	  - USA
- frozen.coldfront.net  port 6667 SSL port 7778	  - USA

You can also try using Coldfront's Java client, at http://www.coldfront.net/webchat/chat.php

If neither of those work, you can try Mibbit as mentioned above. If you are connecting from a public place, i.e a library, the connection could be blocked (I'm pretty sure I got Mibbit blocked in my school district, heh), or it could be a port or firewall issue.

Maybe I'm using the wrong port.

Also, I get the same exact problem when trying to use Frostwire. Does that help?

Maybe I'm using the wrong port.

Also, I get the same exact problem when trying to use Frostwire. Does that help?

I don't know much about Frostwire, never used it, but that could show that you have some kind of firewall blocking it.

How did Mibbit work out for you?

Edited by Chocolate Cookies

I don't know much about Frostwire, never used it, but that could show that you have some kind of firewall blocking it.

How did Mibbit work out for you?

Same result.

But, when trying to run these programs, I shut off my firewall and still nothing. I think maybe Java isn't working correctly

ok now he cleared the chatroom and banned everyone. May I ask what is going on?

he did not ban everyone from the channel. He just kicked everyone out because there was too much chatter about nothing related to CN.

the channel has been set to invite only and you can not knock to get the attention of the ops. I hope they will set up the channel to only permit registered users of IRC and have them sign up on the forum with their registered nick to allow access via irc's access list.

idk what you're talking about. I couldn't even connect.

try one of the other servers listed and be sure to use port 6667

and if you are trying to access from a work place or librarry or school it may be blocked

Edited by Mintner

idk what you're talking about. I couldn't even connect.

wait... Mibbit worked!!!!!

success! The only problem now is that I haven't gone on in months and I have to re-learn how to do everything

wait... Mibbit worked!!!!!

success! The only problem now is that I haven't gone on in months and I have to re-learn how to do everything

ok be sure to register your nick

/ns register password email

be sure to be on the nick you wish to use

password is the password you wish to use for your nick for when you identify

and email is your email address for the auth code

be sure to copy the whole code of the auth code and paste it into the irc

then you will be able to identify you nick when you access irc

ok be sure to register your nick

/ns register password email

be sure to be on the nick you wish to use

password is the password you wish to use for your nick for when you identify

and email is your email address for the auth code

be sure to copy the whole code of the auth code and paste it into the irc

then you will be able to identify you nick when you access irc

This client is actually a lot easier to use. I love it

Mibbit isn't a Java client or anything, it is web based. mIRC doesn't use Java either, so it sounds more like a port issue, what was happening before.

So what would a "port issue" mean and how can I fix it so I can run other programs?

You most likely need to mess with the port and security settings for how it connects to the network. Play around with a few combo's and eventually you will find one that works. 7778 tends to work almost anywhere.