The Darwin Summit

Yuthura Ban

Prime Minister Marius Galek boarded his An12 transport and flew expediently to the nation of Promised Land. His transport arrived promptly, and he exited the boarding ramp to meet the Promised Land diplomat to continue their discussions about land appropriations and redistricting.

he would be met at the airport by several individuals--one, the City's mayor, a tan, middle-sized fellow by the name of Henry Dalrymple; two, a tall, thin man, white to he point of being pale and wearing sunglasses, who was former President Benjamin R. Wallace, and teh acting diplomat between the concerned parties, and a small black woman in what seemed top be ordinary street clothes, who would be representing the Aboriginal tribes. Also there were four honor guards.

All were sweating a bit in the uncomfortable, humid heat, but if they were undomfortable, they weren't sure how their guest would be feeling. Wallace stepped forward, offering a hand to PM Galek, and introducing himself and the other two individuals.

"If you'll just follow me, we can quickly head to a place that is a bit more comfortable, and commence negotiations." He indicated a waiting limosine.

"The conditions are fine, and I would be honored if you would give me a tour of your land before we begin. If it is permitted, perhaps we could discuss the negotiations as we drive. Your country, like ours, is a beautiful land. That is why we are keen to come to an understanding. " Galek said, apparently at ease in the humid environment.

"Of course," Wallace answered, smiling politely, as they got into the limo.

One of the first views they would see upon leaving the airport was the skyline of the city as viewed from East Point.

Darwin_skyline.jpg

The day might not have been perfectly sunny, but it was still a brilliant view, in Wallace's and Dalrymple's opinions.

"We intend to allow for a joint settlement of much of the urban areas, but we will leave the ancestral and tribal historic sites solely in the custody of the Tribal leadership and/or the government of Promised Land. " Galek said.

"We are looking for an arrangement that will provide land for our farmers, fishers, and homes for our people. Our lands are crowded, and one of our islands is disconnected from the mainland and our infrastructure cannot support if for much longer. We merely seek more arable and habitable land to spread out our population. " Galek finished.

She nodded. "You seek to alleviate your own overpopulation. A worthy cause. i have no objection."

it was now the mayor's turn to speak.

"Joint settlement, you say? You mean, perhaps, an equal ownership of the city between our respective nations, like the agreement Promised Land has with New Cymru concerning Melbourne?"

OOC: Basically, Melbourne is occupied equally by citizens from both nations, and mostly governed by a council of equal representation from both nationalities. Only in matters of National criminals may either government severely interfere there.

"I'd be willing to accept joint ownership, however I would like to own the non tribal land that is not affiliated to the city itself. this is to allow the possibility of rakatan settlers founding new towns and villages in the arable land. I would also like international recognition of that land as Rakatan, however the ownership of Darwin will be joint." Galek said.

OOC: Basically, I want to be able to go to the claim's thread and list this new map I posted above as my new territory.

"That seems acceptable to me, as representative of the people of Darwin."

"So long as the tribal areas are left to their own devices, we care not who has 'official' control of the land," the Abroginal representative said.

"So...what does Promised Land get out of this?" Wallace asked. The Prime Minister might find it curious that even in the dimmer interior of the vehicle, the former President did not take off his sunglasses.

Passing by a particularly beautiful area of land, the Prime Minister stopped speaking to admire the natural beuaty. It made him miss his home even more. Looking back at Wallace, Galek replied.

"We are willing to pay a monetary compensation, as well as give a tax exempt status to any PL firms operating within our lands. We are also willing to sign a lease agreement on the land to make the sufficient payments you deem appropriate. In short, what are you asking for it?" Galek said with a grin.

That set Wallace, an experienced politician, aback. This was unexpectedly generous.

"Well, I'd have to check with my government, but the most likely thing to convince them to agree would probably be a lease agreement worth at least one hundred thousand Pounds per year. Another thing that might help would be if we could sign a free trade agreement as part of this deal."

That set Wallace, an experienced politician, aback. This was unexpectedly generous.

"Well, I'd have to check with my government, but the most likely thing to convince them to agree would probably be a lease agreement worth at least one hundred thousand Pounds per year. Another thing that might help would be if we could sign a free trade agreement as part of this deal."

"We'd like to take that a step further and offer a Friendship treaty with a Free trade economic clause. We have signed others in the past, and we'd like to do the same here. It would go a long way to solidify our continued cooperatio nand budding friendship." Galek said.

Wallace reviewed the treaty, then scribbled the suggested changes.

The Treaty of Darwin

This document is signed in a spirit of mutual friendship and cooperation. It affirms the willingness to contribute to a continued growth of good relations between both nations.

Article I:

Both the Rakatan Imperium and Promised Land agree to solve any disputes via dialogue, and not resort to any form of aggressive conflict.

Article II:

Both nations agree to loosen tariffs between them and agree to promote free trade, whenever and wherever possible.

Article III:

If any signatory of this treaty deems it prudent to cancel their signature, 24 hours notice must be given

Article IV:

Promised Land agrees to the tranfer of the land in the following map to the Rakatan Imperium for a sum no less than One Hundred Pounds Sterling per year. The City of Darwin will be jointly held by both nations, and citizens of this city shall be issued joint citizenship between these two nations. Should this treaty for any reason be cancelled, or the Rakatan Imperium fall into anarchy, the area in question immediately reverts to Promised Land administratorship.

rakatanimperium.png

"So, what do you think? I added the dual citizenship more as a practicality than eanything else, but I can remove it if you wish. As it stands, I believe Administrator Anderson would sign it."

"I think this is all for now, I would like to return to Rakata via car if that is ok? " Galek said.

the former President nodded his head. "As you wish. The driver will take you where you want to go."

They pulled up next to City Hall right as he finished speaking.

"Well, this is where I leave you now. I wish you the best in the future," Wallace said, as the others climbed out.