Bandwagoning

TheStig

Many alliances regularly claim to take treaties very seriously and only sign them when a genuine friendship exists between the two parties. Many say that it is the friendship they both share that makes them strong and practically every single person would say that "if they are not your true friends, they would not defend you when it comes to war."

If that is the case, in a war if alliance A were to be attacked and alliance B, a friend of A were to come to its defence, although they have not signed a treaty, this would be seen as bandwagoning -- something that is generally viewed as oh so immoral. Why is this the case?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many alliances regularly claim to take treaties very seriously and only sign them when a genuine friendship exists between the two parties. Many say that it is the friendship they both share that makes them strong and practically every single person would say that "if they are not your true friends, they would not defend you when it comes to war."

If that is the case, in a war if alliance A were to be attacked and alliance B, a friend of A were to come to its defence, although they have not signed a treaty, this would be seen as bandwagoning -- something that is generally viewed as oh so immoral. Why is this the case?

Bandwagoning is generally a term used when it is clear they are not helping out of "friendship" or "conviction", but just to get in on the winning side of the war,

It's one of these stupid conventions on Planet Bob, that you have to have a treaty to come to the defence of your friends. Personally, I think that if Alliance B attacks the enemies of Alliance A, even if they don't have a treaty.... well, what are you going to do about it?

I heard a new idea for alliance politics recently. It's basically a clause in the charter of an alliance which means that no actual treaties are signed by said alliance, but they will attack anyone who attacks their friends. I wouldn't do it myself, I would want the security that treaties can bring, but it's an interesting concept.

9 times out of 10, when an alliance says "Our treaty was based on friendship and trust" this isn't the case. It was signed because they both seemed to be on the same side of things and didn't want to get curbstomped.

And now there's been some odd taboo made saying that if you don't have a treaty, you can't come to someone's defense. Why this has happened, I'm not sure.

9 times out of 10, when an alliance says "Our treaty was based on friendship and trust" this isn't the case. It was signed because they both seemed to be on the same side of things and didn't want to get curbstomped.

And now there's been some odd taboo made saying that if you don't have a treaty, you can't come to someone's defense. Why this has happened, I'm not sure.

It's the same with spies, aid and secondary organisations. It's just unwritten rules of the world.

I've never seen alliances bandwagon with friends who aren't allies. If they're truly friends, they'll have a treaty anyway.

I would like to note that the NSO came to the defense of MK, who they considered friends and who they felt they owed a debt to (as MK stated they would defend NSO in their early stages of development), without a real treaty obligation to do so. Ivan, rightfully so, didn't really care that people complained about that.

Your statement seems to indicate that if two alliances don't have a treaty then they're not really truly friends. I disagree completely. I also disagree with the notion that you can't fight a just war without a treatied reason to do so.

I would like to note that the NSO came to the defense of MK, who they considered friends and who they felt they owed a debt to (as MK stated they would defend NSO in their early stages of development), without a real treaty obligation to do so. Ivan, rightfully so, didn't really care that people complained about that.

Your statement seems to indicate that if two alliances don't have a treaty then they're not really truly friends. I disagree completely. I also disagree with the notion that you can't fight a just war without a treatied reason to do so.

If I was ever head of a major alliance (God help us all), I'd never sign a treaty over an NAP. Treaties just help explode !@#$ up. If you were going to defend them only because of a piece of paper, you shouldn't be defending them in the first place. If you were going to defend them without a piece of paper, why sign it and tangle up the web some more?

I've never seen alliances bandwagon with friends who aren't allies. If they're truly friends, they'll have a treaty anyway.

I'll have to disagree as well. There a plenty of alliances I like and consider to be my friends, but yet DT does not hold a treaty with them. Sometimes it can come down to, I like you but not the alliances you are allied with. Which I've seen happen a lot,plus most treaties now a days are chaining, which is another reason.

GWI and GWIII probably saw the highest prevalence of outright bandwagoning of any off the major wars. Most of it was against the Orders. It's not difficult to figure out why it was stamped out by social convention.

There were a few small alliances who bandwagoned this war iirc. Most were lead by people who were unaware of traditional conventions. The main reason I don't agree that much with declarations of war without a treaty. It's kind of like most ODP's. It's like we're friends now but I'm not sure if I value you enough to put my $@! on the line. On the other hand, I find MADP's generally over-eager documents. It, in theory, signs away your FA to your ally since any way they enter automatically pulls you in. It's really only for the very closest of allies with extremely similar views and membership.

Theres no such thing as bandwagoning, it's just a term used to slander the opposing side.

Spot on. Just like NPO are brainwashed evil oppressors, Karma are no better, tech raiders deserve eternal damnation, people who don't like something are bawwwers, anyone who supports an ally in a war is potentially a bandwagoner.

Theres no such thing as bandwagoning, it's just a term used to slander the opposing side.

In most cases probably right, but i would wager there is quite a few times when people join the winning side of a war under the excuse of 'helping friends' (even when they need no such help realistically) just to pickpocket the corpse.

Edited by Fuhrer Alpha

It's [the crapola about treaties being only actually valid casus belli when intervening] merely a tradition from the years of ancien régime that served the interests of ruling factions then. It's quite outdated by now and definately moronic.

Edited by Iosif Moldov

Alliance A declares war on alliance B and alliance C sees an opportunity to grab a share of the reparations if they make the war into a complete curbstomp. Some alliances choose poorly and accidentally jump in on the side of the losing alliance but they rapidly withdraw when this mistake becomes apparent.

There are alliances who only bandwagon and apparently they hunger for something. These alliances are made up of cowards who wont enter a battle unless they are assured of victory. They will usually have lots of treaties across the world for just this purpose and after the war be treatied only to the winning side. They can pick their side when the time comes and drop treaty partners at an instant even if it goes against what was written in the treaty.

Some alliances who band wagon are crazy and would fight anyone no matter what the odds. These people are not really bandwagoners. They just jump on the band wagon sometimes but are doing it out of love for war.

It happened in the last war on the Karma side.

Edited by Alterego

I admire an alliance who has the cajones to attack without a treaty,I do not how ever admire band wagoners who attack purely for convenience or hitting an alliance while its down, they're two totally different things.

Id agree with that. RyanGDI declaring war between GDI and NPO after discovering that he didnt like them strangely around the same time as NPO was getting dogpiled.

Funny watching him backpedal furiously :P