New Images for resources!

thedestro

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xenon suggested to me that I swap the images for Uranium and Radon. Thoughts?

Well, I think it's largely a matter of taste. Insofar as most people will see the Uranium one FAR more often, I'd be inclined to leave the two as is. The radiation symbol is gonna have its time in the sun either way, and "atom molecule" is a nice looking picture that, if relegated to the lunar surface, won't get much air time. :P

Someone please post a better image for Gems then so we can look at changing it :)

We just wanted to make it so new players wouldn't call it 'Diamonds' and call Wine 'Grapes'...

I wanted to give a long list of images to choose from, but it's late at night so this is what you get:

/edit

I'll try to fix up a better collect tomorrow, though really most images really suck

Edited by thedestro

I wanted to give a long list of images to choose from, but it's late at night so this is what you get:

COB10-0.jpg

it's the same size, though there might be whitespace. Anybody with photoshop can change that with a flick though. And if it's hard just finding size, just find any good picture with invisible/white background and size it/background it with Photoshop and you're set.

And google really is your friend on this one

So by using this we'd go from people calling the gems resource "Diamonds" with the old image, "Christmas Lights" or "Pills" or "Candies" with the current image, to "A Blue Dot" with your proposed image.

So by using this we'd go from people calling the gems resource "Diamonds" with the old image, "Christmas Lights" or "Pills" or "Candies" with the current image, to "A Blue Dot" with your proposed image.

At least he didn't grab the first image that shows up on a google search.

Edit: On the other hand, all the other ones suck. So never mind.

Edited by Iamrecognized

I don't mind the changes, in fact I think it's cool that admin even bothers messing with minor little details like that. The only issue I have is that the new lunar and martian resources are pretty nonsensical since all those materials can be obtained cheaply from the Earth. I'd rather see "space resources" be used to make "space infra". Example: you use iron and cobalt and whatnot that you mine in space to build a large rotating orbital station around the moon (infra? wonder? improvement?), since it would be too expensive to mine them on Earth and ship them up there.

Even so, this is a good step in the evolution of the game IMO.

I don't mind the changes, in fact I think it's cool that admin even bothers messing with minor little details like that. The only issue I have is that the new lunar and martian resources are pretty nonsensical since all those materials can be obtained cheaply from the Earth. I'd rather see "space resources" be used to make "space infra". Example: you use iron and cobalt and whatnot that you mine in space to build a large rotating orbital station around the moon (infra? wonder? improvement?), since it would be too expensive to mine them on Earth and ship them up there.

Well Titainum can't be obtained cheaply, but that's about it.

Edited by Jinnai

Well, I'm a little unfamiliar with this particular aspect of the game, seeing as how there's never been a point to doing so.

My question is this:

What does this add to the game in terms of legitimate nation simulation? Nations as we know them are not nomadic by nature, hunting and following the newest vein of precious minerals that has been discovered. While it's an interesting idea, it implies that we are capable of uprooting whole countries and plopping them wherever we want, whenever we want, for the sole purpose of getting resources. Now then, I personally think a better idea would be having a massive amount of very small hotspots located all over the globe, and we could choose anywhere within our nations' borders to mine our resources. That seems much more logical and realistic than implying we uproot our tens of thousands of citizens overnight to go hunting for a better fishing hole. :P

QFT, earth hotspots....daft.......mars hotspots....fair enough

You forget,

Earth≠Planet Bob

Icons are one of those "black arts" - it's very hard to create images that "work" at such tiny resolutions, and resized photos look like blobs when they're that small. If you can't draw to save your life (like me), you're in real trouble.

I'd guess that Admin has made use of what looks like icons from the rather nice Silk' set that's freely available for a lot of the UI-related stuff, but unfortunately these are 16x16 and don't have icons for stuff like furs or marble in there, so it's a matter of cobbling these kinds of images together from anywhere that's practicable (and preferably copyleft/royalty-free). Having them all the same size is simply to make them appear more consistent when displayed on screen, I'd imagine.

Personally, I don't think that the icons for the resources are bad at all - it's definitely fixed on of my pet peeves, which was that marble and sugar looked a lot alike (in the sense that they were both vaguely white cubes). (I still have this issue with Asphalt and Construction - maybe you could use a picture of a road surface for the Asphalt one? This one's 29x21, I think, but you might be able to scale it okay if you are/have someone slightly arty to have a bash at redrawing it?)

Asphalt_icon.jpg

Having said all that, I think that these images are meant to be symbolic, so I don't think that what the icons look like is that important as long as people can tell them apart.