New Images for resources!

thedestro

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've updated the uranium symbol to an atom molecule. Let the complaints begin that you want the old glowing green loaf symbol back.

An no, there won't be an option to toggle the old images.

Can we update ALL the symbols instead of just some? It kinda looks out of place.

The game already allows you to move your capital up to once every 7 days.

Well, I'm a little unfamiliar with this particular aspect of the game, seeing as how there's never been a point to doing so.

My question is this:

What does this add to the game in terms of legitimate nation simulation? Nations as we know them are not nomadic by nature, hunting and following the newest vein of precious minerals that has been discovered. While it's an interesting idea, it implies that we are capable of uprooting whole countries and plopping them wherever we want, whenever we want, for the sole purpose of getting resources. Now then, I personally think a better idea would be having a massive amount of very small hotspots located all over the globe, and we could choose anywhere within our nations' borders to mine our resources. That seems much more logical and realistic than implying we uproot our tens of thousands of citizens overnight to go hunting for a better fishing hole. :P

Well, I'm a little unfamiliar with this particular aspect of the game, seeing as how there's never been a point to doing so.

My question is this:

What does this add to the game in terms of legitimate nation simulation? Nations as we know them are not nomadic by nature, hunting and following the newest vein of precious minerals that has been discovered. While it's an interesting idea, it implies that we are capable of uprooting whole countries and plopping them wherever we want, whenever we want, for the sole purpose of getting resources. Now then, I personally think a better idea would be having a massive amount of very small hotspots located all over the globe, and we could choose anywhere within our nations' borders to mine our resources. That seems much more logical and realistic than implying we uproot our tens of thousands of citizens overnight to go hunting for a better fishing hole. :P

It's basically gamplay > realism. :)

As to the topic, I'd like to see a full overhaul myself, I'm looking for images to suggest, but not having much luck. =\

Edited by Locke

I've updated the uranium symbol to an atom molecule. Let the complaints begin that you want the old glowing green loaf symbol back.

An no, there won't be an option to toggle the old images.

I want it back.

But really could the rest get a fresh look to, like a gradient as the title background instead of this dark blue we now have.

Admin has already stated, with new bonus resources being introduced into the game, they all needed to be made of uniform size.

Many of the old images were not of uniform size.

Upon attempting to simply resize the images, they didn't look right, so new images were found.

This is correct. Many of the resource images resized just fine so there was no need to replace them. The effort behind this was never about replacing the entire resource image set but about getting everything to a consistent size, replacing those that didn't resize well, and fixing a couple of the images like wine and gems and now uranium that weren't very well represented previously. So no, I won't be replacing the other images just because they aren't 'fresh'.

And no, I'm not going to redesign the entire site either. :rolleyes:

Why do I feel like I'm having a conversation with my two year old daughter here?

Daughter picks up a cookie, "I has cookie?"

Me, "No, put that down."

Daughter puts cookie to her mouth, "Cookie?"

Me, "No, no cookie. We're about to eat dinner."

Daughter holds hand out offering me the cookie, "Cookie?"

Me, "No, I don't want a cookie. We're about to eat dinner."

Daughter puts down cookie, points finger at jar on the counter, "Candy?"

Why do I feel like I'm having a conversation with my two year old daughter here?

Me, "No, put that down."

Pff lazy admin, highly detailed images on a page that mostly exist out of 2 colors. Ooh and thats why CSS is for lol.

I some how always got my cookies by sneeking to the jar at night B)

This is correct. Many of the resource images resized just fine so there was no need to replace them. The effort behind this was never about replacing the entire resource image set but about getting everything to a consistent size, replacing those that didn't resize well, and fixing a couple of the images like wine and gems and now uranium that weren't very well represented previously. So no, I won't be replacing the other images just because they aren't 'fresh'.

Me, "No, put that down."

Admin,

the new icons are very nice and its a nice upgrade,

this is a case of ,no matter what you do some folks will complain.you just have to take them with a grain of salt,

its good that you guys are interactive with the people that play and do your best to make changes to the game when needed.

I like the Uranium icon,thats exactly what I was thinking, :D Also the new 25 day change is a good move as well.

Looking at the icons, I understood what's wrong with the Affluent population icon - the Mona Lisa picture has no borders, and because it is just a virtual square, it looks weird for a painting.

The least that can be done is putting a frame around the Mona Lisa. You can also put that thing painters put their canvas on (and which I can't recall the english name) behind the Mona Lisa picture, as if Leonardo da Vinci has just finished it. (Kinda Affluent Renaissance-cy Population)

Looking at the icons, I understood what's wrong with the Affluent population icon - the Mona Lisa picture has no borders, and because it is just a virtual square, it looks weird for a painting.

The least that can be done is putting a frame around the Mona Lisa. You can also put that thing painters put their canvas on (and which I can't recall the english name) behind the Mona Lisa picture, as if Leonardo da Vinci has just finished it. (Kinda Affluent Renaissance-cy Population)

How about: Affluent.gif vs affluent.GIF

:awesome:

Looks like a Mona Lisa with a fur pelt behind it. :huh:

That's because he put a top-curved frame instead of a rectangular one. =O

Still, Mona Lisa without a frame looks weird between resources that have smooth transitions between the pictures and the white "space", while Mona Lisa looks "cropped". A frame would fix it.

**edit** Comparison: https://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/...sa-painting.jpg

http://davincigenius.com/img/web/unrestore...uvre_framed.jpg

The framed one looks more natural even in the white background of Internet Explorer.

Also, Radon and Uranium are fine. Uranium is used for Fission reactions, while Radon is only useful for scanning etc. An atomic model symbolizing fission is much better IMO.

Edited by Mesteut

xenon suggested to me that I swap the images for Uranium and Radon. Thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Electron...l_086_Radon.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Electron...092_Uranium.svg

Well if u really wanted appease us chemists you could use the first one for radon, and the second for radon. I'm sure everyone will get it.

Well both are radioactive and thus the caution :nuke: symbol could apply to both, one usable difference is that radon glows yellow if its a solid, and uranium will glow green with proper florescence.

xenon suggested to me that I swap the images for Uranium and Radon. Thoughts?

I will probably get shouted down, but as a purveyor of fine fissionables myself, I prefer the spinning molecule picture to the one for Radon. Much prettier. :wub:

i think we should go all the way and just put their atomic formula as their picture. :D

woot!

i got ignored. <_<

but its my favorite improvement.

and i like uranium and radon as they are. thank you. :)

(did Bass Pro Shop and Hummer buy out CN?)

(and i agree, monocle and top-hat :lol1:)

Edited by Pax ME