The Unjust War

Essenia

Unjust War  

760 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh man, I feel bad for RI, he got owned in this thread sooo bad. What a train wreck.

Anyway, forces gathered against UjP were of such mass that their victory could only slip away if they rapidly lost the will to fight-- and I really cant see that. As such, I cant really say any kind of a stalemate was possible as a result of that war, only thing that was possible is for the UjP side not caving in like it did-- managing some surrender terms which wouldn't result in them packing their bags and leaving.

Also, some leadership in GOONS at the time did seem burned up and tired of the game, though could be mistaking here.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TPF at the time and hit 3 Polar nations who didn't fire a single shot at me. Lasted the entire TPF war without losing one bit of infrastructure and was then attacked by Spartan nations after we received peace. I never got reps for it and I hated them for so long. It was only about 150 infra too. :P

I was able to bank for TPF during that war due to my luck. It was nice. I even received a Medal of Honor. You're welcome Jbone. :P

UJW was around the time I first discovered IRC and it definitely hooked me on the whole experience.

/me shakes fist at UJW

Also, some leadership in GOONS at the time did seem burned up and tired of the game, though could be mistaking here.

That was the impression I got... I think they knew they couldn't win, so they decided to "go out with a bang." Too bad... Besides the sheer lack of class, they ended any hope of UJP coming back for round 2.

-Bama

That was the impression I got... I think they knew they couldn't win, so they decided to "go out with a bang." Too bad... Besides the sheer lack of class, they ended any hope of UJP coming back for round 2.

-Bama

I agree with you here.

That settled the deal for ever.

Edited by Branimir

UJP at the time, don't care that we lost though winning would have been great. I still hold TPF in extremely low regard for bailing on us, but considering Slayer did it before with Fark, it wasn't that surprising.

Edited by Emperor Marx

I was with \M/ during that war, and I regret every minute I spent there. Even though they knew they were going to disband, they still got all angry and ares-like when people started to leave, including me. They called us traitors and back stabbers even though we were all going to have to leave anyway. During the war, many of the nations begged for help, but were ignored. Most of the members were back stabbing, power hungry, wastes. CN doesn't need alliances like them and personally, I'm glad we lost.

Y'know, people who leave their alliance when the going gets rough tend to not be seen in the best light. I mean, you join when the alliance when it's perceived as hot !@#$ then jump ship as soon as you see that you need to sacrifice some pixels to try to keep it alive?

Either way, not everyone who asked for aid got it - and that's obviously because we were massively outnumbered. Boohoo, thought it would be easy? I did my best to pass on aid, but I only had five aid slots. Also, pretty funny how you call most people in there "backstabbing wastes" when you deserted, heh. :rolleyes:

Yeah, in the end \m/ disbanded anyways, but I'd say it's partially because a lot of members just went like "ono i cant raid anymore and will lose tech bb u guise" or "crap we're no longer invincible i'll save my infra". Gave fewer reasons for those remaining to try to ride out surrender terms.

EDIT: Just so to address the thread, I was a \m/ commander back then. Considering that the main UJP alliances either disbanded, surrendered or were reduced to rubble, I'm not sure why anyone would say that ~ didn't win the conflict.

Edited by V The King

Y'know, people who leave their alliance when the going gets rough tend to not be seen in the best light. I mean, you join when the alliance when it's perceived as hot !@#$ then jump ship as soon as you see that you need to sacrifice some pixels to try to keep it alive?

Either way, not everyone who asked for aid got it - and that's obviously because we were massively outnumbered. Boohoo, thought it would be easy? I did my best to pass on aid, but I only had five aid slots. Also, pretty funny how you call most people in there "backstabbing wastes" when you deserted, heh. :rolleyes:

Yeah, in the end \m/ disbanded anyways, but I'd say it's partially because a lot of members just went like "ono i cant raid anymore and will lose tech bb u guise" or "crap we're no longer invincible i'll save my infra". Gave fewer reasons for those remaining to try to ride out surrender terms.

EDIT: Just so to address the thread, I was a \m/ commander back then. Considering that the main UJP alliances either disbanded, surrendered or were reduced to rubble, I'm not sure why anyone would say that ~ didn't win the conflict.

Umm. If we're all going to leave anyway, why stick around? And of course someone in \m/ leadership would care to counter my opinion. I'm not real surprised. I didn't leave "when the going got tough". I stuck it out till the end and left like the day before they actually disbanded. We all knew they were going to and people fled long before I stuck it out. Just because I didn't stay the extra 12 hours didn't mean I wasn't loyal. I busted my *** to defend that alliance, and then was called a coward on my way out. Fine. I'm whatever you want to call me, but we all suffered the same fate. Still "backstabbing wastes". There's no changing that. That whole alliance was corrupt. You can defend it all you want, but \m/ is still hated by almost all. That's a fact.

Unjust Highway repra-zent.

I wish it had ended in stalemate... The month or so leading up to that war was one of the most exciting months of CN I've seen. A repeat would have been great, but without the mod/OOC stuff.

-Bama

I echo this sentiment.

Also, I was Unjust Path all the way, yo.

UjP. Joined GOONS in August, got hooked on CyberButtes politics bc when I went on IRC for the first time everyone was going apecrap over ModGate and Loldavi and generally wanted to burn down the world. Fought mostly IRON including Shahenshah, nooblet Sunstar from ODN, and a couple people from NpO and Zenith.

#goonrush was probably the best times I've ever had in this game. I was in the Camp Meatspin academy for the entire war so I didn't get to read any of the GOONS forum until the war was effectively over, then Error stopped paying the server bill so it was all deleted. Loads of fun spying on MHA's forum. The fighting got sort of old; I was staying up so damn late every night for over a month and got pretty frazzled. Lot of lulz had in sending YouTube clips of emo boys making out to Shahenshah in response to daily surrender terms PMs.

Fought for Unjust Path, don't regret it, wish Unjust Path had won the war.

CN would be a much different place than what it is today.

There I fixed it for you. Cooler? I tend to disagree.

I always admired you though. You and Chairman Hal were great. If there was anyone honest and respectable in that alliance, it was you guys.

Anyway, forces gathered against UjP were of such mass that their victory could only slip away if they rapidly lost the will to fight-- and I really cant see that. As such, I cant really say any kind of a stalemate was possible as a result of that war, only thing that was possible is for the UjP side not caving in like it did-- managing some surrender terms which wouldn't result in them packing their bags and leaving.

I know talking with others about the war later on that there were a least a few alliances on the '~' side that pretty quickly reached a breaking point due to not having anything resembling a warchest. Had the war continued just a bit longer and they surrendered in quick succession, it would have raised morale considerably on the UJP side and may have resulted in a domino effect on the "~" side.

Perhaps the most intriguing "what if" I heard from that era involved GPA. As related by someone inside GPA at the time, there was supposed to have been some sort of vote on entering the war on the UJP side. Had the resolution passed, GPA of that era did have a bit of teeth (the GPA that got rolled later on wasn't close militarily to it), but their best use would have been in being applied to overwhelm some of the smaller alliances in "~", breaking them, and then starting a series of surrenders as mentioned above.

The world have have been radically different with a militant GPA and very much a bipolar world.

After the "Modgate" debacle GOONS was actually missing several key leaders. Given that the remainder were in many cases RL friends with some of those banned (or at least acquainted with them through the "Something Awful" web site), it is only natural that at least a few of the remaining leadership were pretty much ready to "pick up their dice and go home", to borrow an old RP gaming phrase.

Edited by ChairmanHal

I know talking with others about the war later on that there were a least a few alliances on the '~' side that pretty quickly reached a breaking point due to not having anything resembling a warchest. Had the war continued just a bit longer and they surrendered in quick succession, it would have raised morale considerably on the UJP side and may have resulted in a domino effect on the "~" side.

Interesting. Well that could be a way out for UjP for a stalemate, still, dont know about the domino effect though.

One big player would have to leave the side of the coalition set against UjP for such a scenario to happen.

There I fixed it for you. Cooler? I tend to disagree.

I always admired you though. You and Chairman Hal were great. If there was anyone honest and respectable in that alliance, it was you guys.

Yeah, it would be different. In the sense that it'd be cooler. B) cuz we cool like dat, we cool like dat...

I'm glad you admire us, I'm a fan of Hal also. But you apparently didn't know too many of the members very well, or you'd respect a whole lot more ;)

Yeah, it would be different. In the sense that it'd be cooler. B) cuz we cool like dat, we cool like dat...

I'm glad you admire us, I'm a fan of Hal also. But you apparently didn't know too many of the members very well, or you'd respect a whole lot more ;)

Hey I give credit where credit is due ;)

You're always going to have those memorable ones, but unfortunately, people remember their bad experiences and the bad members more than the good ones. Lord Cynicus was a good guy too, if you remember him. He's the RL friend who got me into this. Its a shame he doesn't play anymore :( but I guess all good things have to eventually come to an end. I wish I could have gotten to know more people better. Its a lot easier to play the game the more friends you have.

It was a great time to be in IRON as it was sort of our coming out party. I very much enjoyed teaming up with the NpO to save the world from the Unjust and I really don't think we got the recognition we should have for taking on and beating GOONs. I wonder how many additional thousands would have been driven from this game if they had won just for the lulz.

This kind of mentality exactly is why the world delights in your being crushed.

After the "Modgate" debacle GOONS was actually missing several key leaders. Given that the remainder were in many cases RL friends with some of those banned (or at least acquainted with them through the "Something Awful" web site), it is only natural that at least a few of the remaining leadership were pretty much ready to "pick up their dice and go home", to borrow an old RP gaming phrase.

Yeah. The vaccuum left by ModGate pretty much sealed GOONS fate. Sara and Alastor were the only two people left that seriously cared and both of them got burned out pretty fast (imagine dealing with ~ over and over and over in the shadow of the Bilrow crap). I remember Sara opened elections a few weeks into the war and it basically became a huge flamefest that ended with her closing them again with this mom-tone admonishment for everyone's immaturity.

I'm still glad it ended the way it did. IRON had made the decision months before to keep the Orders "in power" and GOONS and UJP out, and I still maintain that was the right decision to make, even after everything that's happened. I've always been a bit disappointed that so many on the UJP side pussied out, as it were, but it did minimize our damage (we expected to get hurt a lot worse than we did) so whatever. The only regrets I have from that period are not fully understanding what an incredibly dysfunctional cluster$%&@ relationship the Orders had. We intended and wanted to be close to both of them and that just wasn't a sustainable option, and by the time that became clear all of our issues had gotten personal and emotionally charged.

But UJW itself I don't have any regrets about.