So, Im gonna try these new wonders out in September

Jack Grist

These new wonders are interesting. Moon bases and Mars bases were a real shock to what I expected the new wonders would be, but oh well, I WANT ONE!

I was wondering, what one do you think I should get first? Mars Base or Moon Base? They both have good features, but want to know your views on it.

Im planning on the Disaster Relief Agency in August for my 13th wonder.

Edited by Jack Grist

Honestly? I think they are too expensive for their benefits. It would cost me 688 Million to get a Martian Base. It would cost me another 490 Million each for a colony and a mining base. Those three would provide a total of 14 happiness, -3% infra cost and upkeep, and 5% citizen storage, and access to Sodium which would provide a further +4 happiness to my nation.

Those figures are assuming maximum happiness is being given as it states "Provides a gradually increasing happiness bonus that peaks at +6 happiness at the end of the life of the wonder." which I interpret as over time you will gain more happiness up to +6 happiness. This also does not take into what "effectiveness" truely equates to which such a generic description of what it could impact.

"The closer in miles that a facility is to the hotspot the more effective that wonder becomes," effective in what way? More citizens? More happiness? Better bonuses? Generic.

I don't know if I can justify spending nearly 2 BILLION to get the bonuses these wonders provide. I can't honest decide if they will EVER pay for themselves.

Edited by Jesusaurus

Honestly? I think they are too expensive for their benefits. It would cost me 688 Million to get a Martian Base. It would cost me another 490 Million each for a colony and a mining base. Those three would provide a total of 14 happiness, -3% infra cost and upkeep, and 5% citizen storage, and access to Sodium which would provide a further +4 happiness to my nation.

Those figures are assuming maximum happiness is being given as it states "Provides a gradually increasing happiness bonus that peaks at +6 happiness at the end of the life of the wonder." which I interpret as over time you will gain more happiness up to +6 happiness. This also does not take into what "effectiveness" truely equates to which such a generic description of what it could impact.

"The closer in miles that a facility is to the hotspot the more effective that wonder becomes," effective in what way? More citizens? More happiness? Better bonuses? Generic.

I don't know if I can justify spending nearly 2 BILLION to get the bonuses these wonders provide. I can't honest decide if they will EVER pay for themselves.

They aren't, they are meant to be end-game money sinks.

Edited by SilverHawk

I wish there was some way to search for nations with these wonders, so I could ridicule them. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for someone in my alliance to buy one so I can make fun instead.

Just let them buy a FSS. ;)

I'm planning to buy the moon base after rebuilding back to 4999.99 infra, and the other two 4-5 months later. The cost will be a little over 100 mil. Storing 6% of your citizens sounds quite useful for extended wars, and the mods have mentioned military space wonders for the future. Military wonders are usually worth the money they cost.

Edited by Viluin

I guess I see the point of an artificial money sink for huge nations, but in my opinion there no point to them unless some serious improvements come down the line later. You would be better off just adding to your warchest.

edit:

Steelrat - you mention a break even point but does this account for inefficiencies due to "hotspot" locations what whatnot?

Edited by naamah

I guess I see the point of an artificial money sink for huge nations, but in my opinion there no point to them unless some serious improvements come down the line later. You would be better off just adding to your warchest.

edit:

Steelrat - you mention a break even point but does this account for inefficiencies due to "hotspot" locations what whatnot?

If you are going to be active all the time then you should always be able to collect at 100% if you coordinate with others.

When it says that a moon colony "stores 6% of your citizen population"...what exactly does that mean?

It takes 6% of your citizens and adds them as new population at your Base. This population cannot be harmed by war on your planet bob bound country. (Think of it as a population multiplyer that ignores infrastructure change (for good or ill))

If you are going to be active all the time then you should always be able to collect at 100% if you coordinate with others.

If you have a good hotspot calculator:

With one moon (Mars) wonder, you have 50% probability to be able to reposition to the hotspot on day 7 and you are able to be on it on day 14.

With two wonders, you should be able to be on it on day 1 (50%) or certainly on day 7.

The above is true if you have efficiency levels above 50% after repositioning.

Edited by Kippa Tarxien

If you have a good hotspot calculator:

With one moon (Mars) wonder, you have 50% probability to be able to reposition to the hotspot on day 7 and you are able to be on it on day 14.

With two wonders, you should be able to be on it on day 1 (50%) or certainly on day 7.

The above is true if you have efficiency levels above 50% after repositioning.

I'm not sure how either of you are making these claims. Do we know how large the hotspot is? It seems to me that you could randomly move all your wonders around, and still not ever find it. Coordinating with others just means that several people are blindly moving them around. It seems hard to predict how many moves it would take before someone stumbles into it.

Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure how either of you are making these claims. Do we know how large the hotspot is? It seems to me that you could randomly move all your wonders around, and still not ever find it. Coordinating with others just means that several people are blindly moving them around. It seems hard to predict how many moves it would take before someone stumbles into it.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are missing something. We do not know how large the hotspot is, nor are we interested in how large it is. We only want to know the centre. And that can be calculated without "several people blindly moving around".

Edited by Kippa Tarxien

Mars base only costs 275 mil for me. Thanks to my previous warchest, I can now buy a mars base with my warchest. And then I will buy some more mars wonders with my low NS. I think I can get some money sent on my nation too so it will be worth for me in the end.

Yes, you are missing something. We do not know how large the hotspot is, nor are we interested in how large it is. We only want to know the centre. And that can be calculated without "several people blindly moving around".

The reason I was wondering how large it is is that to calculate your chances of stumbling on something greater than 50% in the first place, you would need to know the size. For example, if the hotspot is half the moon, it may only take 1 guess. But if it's only 1% of the surface area, then your chances of hitting it are only 1% each time you move, so it will take many blind attempts before someone gets greater than 50% and you are able to hone in on it, as Slayer mentioned.

The reason I was wondering how large it is is that to calculate your chances of stumbling on something greater than 50% in the first place, you would need to know the size. For example, if the hotspot is half the moon, it may only take 1 guess. But if it's only 1% of the surface area, then your chances of hitting it are only 1% each time you move, so it will take many blind attempts before someone gets greater than 50% and you are able to hone in on it, as Slayer mentioned.

The size doesn´t matter, if you are smart enough you need only 3 coordinate sets with a different efficiency than 50%. Then you can use triangulation, that kind of stuff was first used in WWII to locate submarines, today GPS is using it.

The size doesn´t matter, if you are smart enough you need only 3 coordinate sets with a different efficiency than 50%. Then you can use triangulation, that kind of stuff was first used in WWII to locate submarines, today GPS is using it.

What he is saying is that the hot spot might be very small, and it might take many guesses to find somewhere that has larger than 50% eff. We do not know how big the area that gives more than 50% eff is. 90% of the moons surface could be at 50%, thus making the odds of getting 3 wonders in that zone rather low.