How Cyber Nations Was Created

Konstantino

This question really has nothing whatsoever to do with game play. I have a question simply on how exactly was this whole game (err "nation simulator") was created.

How exactly was it created? I noticed that donations can be made, is that because the website requires finances to keep it running?

Basically another way to restate my question is; could anyone with a computer create a nation simulator, or would it require special software, more than one person, etc?

Cyber Nations is made like pretty much any other game, out of code. I'm not sure exactly what language admin used, but I'm wagering something along the lines of C++, C#, or Java. Donations are basically for server costs, bandwidth use and so on. One person could create a game like Cyber Nations, though I'm not sure one way or another if that is the case for CN.

This sort of project can start quite easily with very little funding and special tools. All you need is a website, a webhost with databases and php support, and someone with a good knowledge of SQL/PHP and a text editor. They program the backend to allow forms to enter account information into databases and then people can register. This sort of CMS module will be the heart of the project from start to finish (though it will no doubt be refined over time). Then you get the various interaction pages that allow players to interact with each other. None of this requires much other than a computer, knowledge, patience and a lot of time.

Then you want to start adding graphics and once the project gets big enough it becomes difficult for one man to maintain alone. Then as it gets more popular you need to buy additional hosting to accomodate the increase in bandwidth. That is probably a large portion of what donations go towards. Basically the donations are for the staff's time and the money required to host and maintain this site.

There are guides on constructing your own basic php web game readily available through google search. Check them out.

Wow that sounds confusing. I guess I should have said "any idiot with a computer". I can't even make a website, only wikis or wikias.

Programming sounds more confusing than it actually is because it's difficult to talk about in passing without referring to things that only makes sense to people with at least some basic knowledge of the subject. If you find a basic tutorial and/or get help from someone that knows what they're doing it's actually pretty easy, just time consuming and potentially expensive if you're creating an online game.

Interview with admin

TE: Can you tell us about how Cyber Nations got started?

KM: When I was around 13 years old, I came up with a simple world map-based game that involved push pins to indicate captured cities around the world. Whichever player controlled the most cities and resources won the game. When Google launched their Google Maps API publicly in 2005, the things that it allowed programmers to do with their API is what really sparked my interest in building a nation simulation game around the maps.

Initially I had envisioned making the maps the center point of the game, but through issues with providing map markers to represent thousands of nations, the maps eventually became a secondary feature of the game.

And since we're not looking to educate people in how to create games that will compete with Cyber Nations I'm now closing this. I hope the answers you've gotten is enough.