New Wonders/Bonus Resources

steeldor

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just another addition to the game in the end. It's meant to be challenging and something to strive for...like wonders once were meant to be.

These are tough on everyone. If the extra cost of military bothers people then decommission every soldier, plane, tank, CM, and possibly nukes.

It will save you money.

What happens if you have a Base and a Mine, and your Base expires (or is decommissioned) before your Mine? Does the Mine remain active?

Yes- the base is just there for when you buy other wonders, just remember that the mine expires as well. Wonder planning would require cycles should you choose the moon to keep effectiveness up.

So, on a somewhat different tack, I think it'd be nice to format the resource info a little differently, and break the "space" bonus resources into a third grouping beneath "Bonus Resources," just for ease of reading/comparison. Since most nations looking at the bonus resources list will not be in the financial/developmental stage to be taking these into consideration with their trade setups, it'd make a lot of sense.

I just bought the first Mars Base in CN so if anyone else is up for buying one and wants to work together on the hotspot, PM me ingame.

Also, Admin, thank you for adding these to the game, I've just gone 3 months with no wonders left to buy so it's nice to have something to work on again. :)

Mars Mine - $100,000,000 + (5,000 * (Nation Strength - (Technology Purchased * 2))) - Provides access to a randomly selected bonus resource of Basalt, Sodium, Magnesium, or Potassium. Provides a gradually increasing happiness bonus that peaks at +4 happiness at the end of the life of the wonder. Expires at 900 days. Relocating your Mars Mine gives you the option to randomly select a new Mars resource for a fee. Cannot build Moon wonders if you build Mars wonders. Requires Space Program and Mars Base.

Moon Mine - $50,000,000 + (2,500 * (Nation Strength - (Technology Purchased * 2))) - Provides access to a randomly selected bonus resource of Silicon, Titanium, Radon, or Calcium. Provides +3 happiness that degrades over the life of the wonder. Expires at 450 days. Cannot build Mars wonders if you build Moon wonders. Requires Space Program and Moon Base.

Will the bolded part also be available for the moon mine?

Matt, have you worked out the ROI for your nation?

No I have not, but the infra cost and upkeep reductions will more than pay for itself over the life of the wonder and I'd rather have access to the mined resources on Mars. The ROI would be very close either way I'm sure.

This may be a dumb question... my wonder clock is up in 4 days. Are these activated?

Apparently these have been activated today?

I'm still unsure what levels of tech and infra make this group of new wonders worth buying. I'm pretty sure it's a lot of both.

I'm not suggesting they're NOT worth buying - but that there are simply other, better ways to maximize my nation's development.

:ph34r:

Mars Mine - $100,000,000 + (5,000 * (Nation Strength - (Technology Purchased * 2))) - Provides access to a randomly selected bonus resource of Basalt, Sodium, Magnesium, or Potassium. Provides a gradually increasing happiness bonus that peaks at +4 happiness at the end of the life of the wonder. Expires at 900 days. Relocating your Mars Mine gives you the option to randomly select a new Mars resource for a fee. Cannot build Moon wonders if you build Mars wonders. Requires Space Program and Mars Base.

Moon Mine - $50,000,000 + (2,500 * (Nation Strength - (Technology Purchased * 2))) - Provides access to a randomly selected bonus resource of Silicon, Titanium, Radon, or Calcium. Provides +3 happiness that degrades over the life of the wonder. Expires at 450 days. Cannot build Mars wonders if you build Moon wonders. Requires Space Program and Moon Base.

Will the bolded part also be available for the moon mine?

This is the vital question. The value of the lunar resources seem like they are skewed heavily toward a trade set. If you

are a FF/Beer/Construction nation with uranium, here are your likely values:

Radon +$6

Calcium +$3

Silicon +$0 :o

Titanium +$0 :o

If the resources are random and can never be selected, your expected value is an increase in income of $2.25/day, not even close to a good return on a $300m+ item.

Related somewhat: are all space wonders affected by their proximity to the hotspot? Can all therefore be moved?

Edited by Killjoy

Honestly? I think they are too expensive for their benefits. It would cost me 688 Million to get a Martian Base. It would cost me another 490 Million each for a colony and a mining base. Those three would provide a total of 14 happiness, -3% infra cost and upkeep, and 5% citizen storage, and access to Sodium which would provide a further +2 happiness for beer and +2 happiness for fast food to my nation.

Those figures are assuming maximum happiness is being given as it states "Provides a gradually increasing happiness bonus that peaks at +6 happiness at the end of the life of the wonder." which I interpret as over time you will gain more happiness up to +6 happiness. This also does not take into what "effectiveness" truely equates to which such a generic description of what it could impact.

"The closer in miles that a facility is to the hotspot the more effective that wonder becomes," effective in what way? More citizens? More happiness? Better bonuses? Generic.

I don't know if I can justify spending nearly 2 BILLION to get the bonuses these wonders provide. I can't honest decide if they will EVER pay for themselves.

Edited by Jesusaurus

moxlotus, both mines can be upgraded to a new resource for a fee

Killjoy, the 3bg already has enough advantages no? ;) also, all interstellar wonders are affected by the hotspot and can be moved.

Jesusaurus, proximity to the hotspot affects the infra % for the base, the value of your bonus resource for the mine, and the number of colony citizens you can collect from in the colony. The only alterations to happiness occur with time.

both mines can be upgraded to a new resource for a fee

I feel that compared to the costs of the wonders, the option to randomly change the mineral you have access to is ridiculously cheap. If I pay $490 million for this wonder (the price of a Martian Mining Base for my nation), whats even the point of charging me $1.1 million to change my resource? That cost is so trivial that is it like the $500 improvement deconstruct fee. Either make it free or make it substantially more, preferably the latter given the extreme expense for these wonders...

Edited by Jesusaurus

I don't understand why there is an expiry date, and I disagree with the rationale behind both the hotspots and the changes to the effects over time. The effects should stay constant in order to prevent economic calculations from becoming rediculously complicated. The expiry dates will just make older players mad when they have to rebuild for 4 times the price. The hotspots adds chance to a game which is supposed to be strategy.

I feel that compared to the costs of the wonders, the option to randomly change the mineral you have access to is ridiculously cheap. If I pay $490 million for this wonder (the price of a Martian Mining Base for my nation), whats even the point of charging me $1.1 million to change my resource? That cost is so trivial that is it like the $500 improvement deconstruct fee. Either make it free or make it substantially more, preferably the latter given the extreme expense for these wonders...

It's 10NS to move, 100NS to change.

So for you, 1.1mill to move, $11mill to change.

Is the Manhattan Project a prerequisite for the Mars base?

Right now, the only available wonders for me to build are the Project and the Moon base - no option to build on Mars.

EDIT: never mind. I'm big enough on NS that my warchest still isn't enough to buy the Mars base. Way too high a cost and way too random the benefits to blow my entire warchest on even the moon base.

Edited by Ceremony

Is the Manhattan Project a prerequisite for the Mars base?

Right now, the only available wonders for me to build are the Project and the Moon base - no option to build on Mars.

Do you have enough money? I imagine you do but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

And clear out as much of your military as you can. Deleting all but 3 nukes appears to be worth it, but I just did some rough calcs in my head. Navy is too expensive though.

They can have my nukes when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Without posting any detailed calc:

In general:

Moon with 4 earth resources = best way

Moon with 3 earth resources = most times better than Mars, depends on your trade set.

Moon with 2 earth resources = you may think about a Mars route depending on your trade set