Coup in Pretoria?

Botha

"It has become clear that the Transvaal Gov't is in disarray," Catherine Reznov said in a press conference, "while we condemn the gov't for killing innocents, we also condemn De Ruijters and hope he gets the trial he deserves."

OOC: $20 says Botha's gonna do Civil War. Otherwise nice RP Botha. I really like to see how this plays out.

Edited by Razgriz 2K9

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is our understanding you are a member of the Demokratiese Barakke Party or know how we can contact its leader, is this correct?" He inquired.

Cruywagen smiled and then looked over at Frederik Geldenhuys also sitting in the room. Geldenhuys spoke. "I am Frederik Geldenhuys, leader of the DBP. What can I do for you?"

"You can liberate your country and provide equiality for its citizens for the sake of the world." The man put a large satchel he had been carrying on the table. "The contents inside are approximately 3 million international dollars in large denominations, variable currencies, from an unspecified benefactor.. wrapped in tourist clothing to prevent theft and make for easy transport. More will be forthcoming if you are willing to take up this task. We can also provide arms if necessary."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Frederik Geldenhuys looked at the satchel – then asked “Excuse me for asking, but exactly whom are you working for?”

The visitors looked at Ambassador Cruywagen sitting there. He did not seem too convinced. However he decided to play his cards and show his hand in an attempt to figure out the true nature and intents of these 'visitors'.

The ambassador spoke gravely, “That was my second thought actually, my first being that we do not have the means, as in manpower, to take on Malan as long as the military is under his thumb. Recently the far rightists attempted to launch a coup against the RMG. They were better armed and organised than us, and yet they failed. Malan has around 18,000 soldeirs under his command, the vast majority of those solidly loyal to him”.

Geldenhuys nodded in agreement.

“Our plan is to wait and see how the situation develops at the end of August once the last surrender terms have been lifted” said the DBP leader. “We are hoping that once Transvaal can rebuild its navy and air force, that those two sectors which previously were strong supporters of our group will be able to exert pressure on the RMG.”

Edited by Botha

MARSHAL MALAN TO SPEAK TO NATION ON JULY 30

Field Marshal Petrus Malan, Commander-in-Chief of the Republican Military Governemnt of Transvaal informed the Volksraad that he will speak to the nation at Government House on July 30.

Frederik Geldenhuys looked at the satchel – then asked “Excuse me for asking, but exactly whom are you working for?”

The visitors looked at Ambassador Cruywagen sitting there. He did not seem too convinced. However he decided to play his cards and show his hand in an attempt to figure out the true nature and intents of these 'visitors'.

The ambassador spoke gravely, “That was my second thought actually, my first being that we do not have the means, as in manpower, to take on Malan as long as the military is under his thumb. Recently the far rightists attempted to launch a coup against the RMG. They were better armed and organised than us, and yet they failed. Malan has around 18,000 soldeirs under his command, the vast majority of those solidly loyal to him”.

Geldenhuys nodded in agreement.

“Our plan is to wait and see how the situation develops at the end of August once the last surrender terms have been lifted” said the DBP leader. “We are hoping that once Transvaal can rebuild its navy and air force, that those two sectors which previously were strong supporters of our group will be able to exert pressure on the RMG.”

"We represent global leaders who have an interest in seeing a democratic and stable Transvaal. We do not think that Malan is stable. He may have the military under his thumb, but he does not have the people. 18,000 men against.. what is the population of your home state?" He inquired, "We can provide you the weapons and the finances if you can simply provide the will and the people."

“About 43,000, at least the last time I checked,” replied Ambassador Cruywagen blandly. “...although the military could probably beef itself up to 22,000 soldiers without violating the surrender terms”.

Paul Cruywagen did not feel too convinced with the noble intentions of these ‘global leaders’ this mysterious visitor spoke of. Naturally these people would want some sort of return on their investment – and while Cruywagen despised Malan, he had not reached the point where he was willing to sell out his nation just quite yet.

So he changed tactics. “I understand that Malan is to make an important announcement tomorrow at the Volksraad. Perhaps we should wait until we have heard what he has to say? After all, I don’t want to make any rash decisions.”

Cruywagen wasn’t too concerned about what Malan actually had to say, he just used the announcement as a delaying smokescreen until he had gathered further information on who and what these representatives were fronting for. For all he knew, these could be some of Van Zyl’s stooges trying to blackmail or implicate him for their own ends.

The ambassador then changed direction, in an attempt to throw these people off and see if he could possibly expose their true intents: “Have you spoken with National Party leader Jakob Hertzog yet?”

Meanwhile in Arctica...

Agent Vukov's phone rang. "Yes?" he said into the receiver. It was one of his operatives stationed in Transvaal who was calling him on the secure line.

"Sir, we have received visual reports of an Afrikaanse Lugdiens Boeing 747 sitting at the ready on the tarmac of Johannesburg's Botha International Aiport. The registration is the same as the plane Malan used to get to Arctica. There has been some activity around it during the morning, a couple of black vans coming and going. Looks like it's being loaded up."

Vukov got out a notepad and began making a bulleted list of the details.

"With what? You are in contact with the rest of your cell, yes?"

"Of course."

"Send someone to see where the vans are coming from and what is being loaded into them, and see if you can get closer to that plane...report to me as soon as you have more information. Don't get caught."

“About 43,000, at least the last time I checked,” replied Ambassador Cruywagen blandly. “...although the military could probably beef itself up to 22,000 soldiers without violating the surrender terms”.

Paul Cruywagen did not feel too convinced with the noble intentions of these ‘global leaders’ this mysterious visitor spoke of. Naturally these people would want some sort of return on their investment – and while Cruywagen despised Malan, he had not reached the point where he was willing to sell out his nation just quite yet.

So he changed tactics. “I understand that Malan is to make an important announcement tomorrow at the Volksraad. Perhaps we should wait until we have heard what he has to say? After all, I don’t want to make any rash decisions.”

Cruywagen wasn’t too concerned about what Malan actually had to say, he just used the announcement as a delaying smokescreen until he had gathered further information on who and what these representatives were fronting for. For all he knew, these could be some of Van Zyl’s stooges trying to blackmail or implicate him for their own ends.

The ambassador then changed direction, in an attempt to throw these people off and see if he could possibly expose their true intents: “Have you spoken with National Party leader Jakob Hertzog yet?”

"Sure, take as much time as you need. Know our intents are pure. We only want the best for your people. Would you have any suggestions for quartering? Our visa time here is limited, due to the crisis in the Republic Italia, but we wouldn't mind meeting again to discuss this again in the time we are allotted."

In Johannesburg:

"Send someone to see where the vans are coming from and what is being loaded into them, and see if you can get closer to that plane...report to me as soon as you have more information. Don't get caught."

Vukov’s phone rang a few hours later, at around 9:45pm local time.

“Sir, we have visual with the aircraft. Apparently all flights out of Johannesburg have been delayed until after midnight. We haven’t seen any more vehicles in the vicinity of the plane since we last spoke, however for the past hour or so two of its engines have been running at an idle and there is a flight crew now in the coc.kpit, although we have not seen any passangers board.”

2irvja.jpg

In Arctica:

"Sure, Would you have any suggestions for quartering? Our visa time here is limited, due to the crisis in the Republic Italia, but we wouldn't mind meeting again to discuss this again in the time we are allotted."

Ambassador Cruywagen looked at Geldenhuys, who had been silent for much of the discussion. The ambassador sheepishly shrugged, “Well, if you are really stuck for accommodation you are welcome to stay here at the embassy. It’s an old large house after all, so we have a lot of rooms that could function as temporary accommodation if you don’t mind sleeping on couches.”

"Not at all, we appreciate the accommodation." They would go find a room and take up a couch as theirs.. sort out their belongings. They had no electronics with them, the only form of ID.. their false once. They had a couple of books for entertainment and reading printed from in Europe. One was reading Ink Heart... the other was reading some star wars book.

It is a warm, muggy night in Oceana and Agent Vukov decides to stay up and sit outside on his veranda. It’s too hot inside to sleep. Besides, he has a gut feeling something is up in Johannesburg, so he keeps his phone near.

A few minutes after midnight, it begins to ring…

“Yes, Agent Vukov here – what is it?”

The voice on the other end of the line is immersed in static but excited nevertheless: “The plane is now on the tarmac, taxiing along the runaway before take-off rollout.”

Vukov puts down the drink he had in his hand and graps his notepad and paper.

“Did you see anyone board it?”

“We’re not sure, sir. A black Mercedes pulled up next to it around twenty minutes ago, but it was on the far side away from us. We couldn't see anyone if they emerged from it, but the car then drove off before the 747 immediately began its pushout. It appears the crew were waiting for whomever was inside the vehicle.”

Vukov could then hear some muffled voices in the background.

“Sir, the plane is taking off right now as I speak!”

Vukov scribbled down the details on the same page he had written the operative's report from earlier that day. Listening closely, he could hear some muffled voices in the background as the man reported the plane taking off. His heart jumped, eyes widening as he began to suspect the worst.

"Is that your men with you?" he asked, raising his voice, trying to be heard over the jet engines even as he was sitting in his quiet Oceana neighborhood. "Look behind you!"

Field Marshal Malan had called the Volksraad to gather for what had been deemed an emergency session first thing in the morning. Despite the early hour, the sun had been up for around an hour and it appeared to have the makings for a gorgeous day outside. The various delegates arrived and made their way into the main chamber of the National Assembly.

The only ‘outsider’ present, Ambassador Séamus Ó Grianna of Tahoe, looked around the chamber to see how many of the delegates he could recognise. The most notable ones were Foreign Minister Hendrik Strijdom, Annetjie van Matteus, and Finance Minsiter Marthinus Hofmeyr – a large bald man who he had never met personally but knew was responsible by and large for keeping Transvaal’s economy running despite recent trade problems. The rest, apart from some harmless, minor civilians such as the archbishop of Pretoria and the manager of the Transvaal Springboks, were all military officers who had been selected by Malan to pack the Volksraad with his own supporters.

At around seven o’clock, the room had become a quiet collective murmuring of voices as everyone waited for Petrus Malan to make his appearance. After somewhat of an annoying wait, it was instead Lieutenant-Colonel Dietrichs Gerhard who walked through the main entrance door from the executive offices, carrying a large red envelope under his left arm.

Ó Grianna recalled to himself that for a few brief days, Gerhard had shared power with Malan in the junta before giving his own resignation to permit Malan full dictatorial control.

The lieutenant-colonel displayed a serious, solemn expression as he walked to the center podium. He took out some papers from the red envelope and began to speak:

“Good morning members of this esteemed Volksraad. I have the duty to report to you that just before midnight last night, Field Marshal Petrus Malan gave his resignation as Commander-in-Chief of the Republican Military Government effective July 31,2009 and has departed for ‘health reasons’ to Italy.”

Gerhard then began to read from the papers from the red envelope. “In my authority as Commander-in-Chief of the Republican Military Government of Transvaal, I Field Marshal Petrus Malan hereby proclaim the following decrees effective immediately:

- “I hereby promote Lieutenant-Colonel Dietrichs Gerhard to the rank of General in recognition for his loyalty and service to Transvaal during and after the war.”

- “For similar services rendered to the nation, I hereby promote Colonel Annetjie van Matteus to the rank of General of the Transvaler Oorsese Korps.”

- “I hereby proclaim the termination of the Republican Military Government and its replacement by a transitional civilian authority. For the position of Prime Minister, I hereby appoint as my successor Annetjie van Matteus. Foreign Minsiter Hendrik Strijdom and Finance Minister Marthinus Hofmeyr are appointed joint Deputy Prime Ministers under Prime Minister van Matteus. This new civilian authority shall remain in authority until November 30, 2009 when national elections are held.”

- “In accordance with the termination of the Republican Military Government, I hereby as my final act order all rank and file members of our armed forces to return to their barracks and remove themselves from the daily function of government administration unless requested to main at their posts by order of the new civilian administration.”

[Note: Tahoe’s ambassador due to diplomatic protocol would be in attendance at this session of the Volksraad]

"Is that your men with you?" he asked, raising his voice, trying to be heard over the jet engines even as he was sitting in his quiet Oceana neighborhood. "Look behind you!"

"Yes sir, sorry - it was just the three of us talking amongst ourselves. Nothing to worry about!"

"Yes sir, sorry - it was just the three of us talking amongst ourselves. Nothing to worry about!"

"I see. Can't be too careful. Thank you for the information." The news would be treated as classified information only until the next morning when it was revealed in the Volksraad that Malan had resigned.

OOC: I guess I'm a little too cautious sometimes...hehe...

"Well fancy that..." exclaimed Ambassador Cruywagen to his 'guests' when he saw the newspaper headlines.

"Looks like one problem has solved itself peacefully."

The ambassador then thought about his own future. Van Matteus and him had had some bad blood between them two years ago when she was prime minister for a few months. Ended up that he had to lead his own coup against her when she overstepped her bounds.

"I wonder what this will bring to Transvaal?" he said outloud and addressed to no one in particular. "While the RMG was not very popular at home and abroad, Van Matteus is a wily one who also has a loose cannon talent for messing things up when she leasts expects it."

In his mind, things had just progressed from worst to worse. Most of the world had forgotten about her previous attempt to lead the country or the sad end of Minister Breytenbach on television. Time makes things heal but it also makes things forget...

"How about you and your friend help determine the outcome of that election? We won't need to bring the weapons, but we offer up the 3 million as contributions to a campaign seeding fund for the DBP. The state still has to much of an iron grip on it for our sponsor's comfort, but this contribution should help you sway the government to make democracy truly take root."