New Wonders Aren't Worth Their Cost

These new wonders cost a ridiculous amount of money for mediocre benefits. For example:

Mars Base - $200,000,000 + (10,000 * Nation Strength) - Reduces infrastructure cost and bills -3%. Provides a gradually increasing happiness bonus that peaks at +6 happiness at the end of the life of the wonder. Expires at 1,200 days. Cannot build Moon wonders if you build Mars wonders. Requires Space Program.

For me this is $200,000,000 + (10,000 * 120,000) = $1,400,000,000

That is $1.4 BILLION for a wonder that at the height of its bonus would net you at the most $1 million per day more.

However, the wonder only lasts for 1,200 days. In those 1,200 days I would only make back $1,200,000,000 of the $1,400,000,000 I spent on it. Considering the fact that it "Provides a gradually increasing happiness bonus that peaks at +6 happiness at the end of the life of the wonder." I would actually make back LESS than $1.2bil. Why would I want to spend more money on an economic wonder than the total amount it would make me back?

This will be even worse for the largest nations that would be paying around $2 billion for this wonder. These new wonders are not worth their cost.

Wonders - National wonders are much like regular nation improvements in that they allow you to further modify your nation based on your own strategies. The difference between national wonders and nation improvements is that national wonders do not require a specific number of citizens to develop but instead have an enormous cost associated with them. Another difference to national wonders is that you can only purchase one of each type of national wonder and you may only develop one national wonder once every 30 days. National wonders cost $5,000 a day to maintain. When purchasing national wonders do not expect a huge return for your investment. That is not the point behind national wonders. Instead, national wonders are intended for those nations who are reaching the very peak of their nation development due to nearing maximum development in infrastructure, land, improvements, etc... to give those nations a slight push above their competition. Therefore national wonders are not intended for everyone and are instead intended to provide a slight strategy for the most advanced players and an additional goal for everyone to strive to. The following are the official costs and bonuses of national wonders:

I think the expiration dates are a bit of a problem.

For example, let's say you buy the mars base, which lasts 4 years.... then you buy the mars colony which lasts three years.

Well, after three years you are faced with the destruction of your mars colony.... you won't rebuild it because your mars base only lasts for another year... you lose 66% of your mars colony investment.

You can't take a lunar route at that time because you still have a mars base.

I think all "add-on" wonders should last to the duration of the colony wonder.

Less doesn't seem to make sense....

However, I suspect that admin has something up his sleeve. Something that lasts 3 years is definately asking for more wonders to be added in the meantime.

Ender...what? You cannot be serious, man.

I've done that math and there's only a very limited range in which these wonders would produce a positive RoI within their designated time limits.

I could see this being used as a post-curbstomp recovery wonder for those who kept very large warchests and can afford the $150-$200m price tag.

I haven't had the time to sit down an look at these closely, but what you're saying seems valid. Did the Admin post a Game Update about these? I don't recall seeing one and wouldn't have even knew if it were not for this thread. I suppose the addition isn't complete as it isn't showing up where you purchase wonders.

Yeah, I am a bit disappointed that these got selected. What's with the new resources also? New Bonus resources forthcoming maybe?

EDIT: I see that these ARE bonus resources... Sodium is kind of interesting...

Edited by Drostan

Sodium.GIF Sodium- Mined from Martian surface. +2 happiness if nation has Fast Food, +2 happiness if nation has Beer, Decreases GRL by an additional 50% (75% total) if you have Radiation Cleanup

Magnesium.GIF Magnesium- Mined from Martian surface. +3 happiness if nation has Microchips, –4% infra upkeep if nation has Steel

Basalt.GIF - Mined from Martian surface. +3 happiness if nation has Automobiles, –5% infra upkeep if nation has Asphalt, –5% infra purchase cost if nation has Construction.

Potassium - Mined from Martian surface. +3 happiness if nation has Fine Jewelry, +$3 citizen income if nation has Scholars, +5% more citizens if nation has Affluent Population.

This is found in the information index http://www.cybernations.net/about_topics.a...es_&_Trades

But, it truly isn't worth it. I would have to pay 400 mil to buy the wonder and I'm at 20k NS

Edited by BEazy

Yeah, I am a bit disappointed that these got selected. What's with the new resources also? New Bonus resources forthcoming maybe?

EDIT: I see that these ARE bonus resources... Sodium is kind of interesting...

There's 4, each one benefits one of the 4 main resource sets.

Plus the ressource you get is picked randomly, so if i get one that supports another trade set, it would be utterly pointless, since my base ressources only allow me to have the 5BG (without considerable disadvantages to other players).

If the costs dont get reduced a lot, this update is utterly pointless.

stuff from info index

Right, but these wonders come with an expiration date, unlike all of the other wonders. At least with other wonders you can eventually make back all the money that was put into developing it. With these wonders, that is simply impossible. Someone like Vlad would essentially be paying $1.4 billion to lose $200+ million over the course of the next 1,200 days. What's the sense in that?

Crappy resources = Still crappy

Good resources = Still good.

Forcing people to swap to the crappy side just to take advantage of their random mars resource is just going to make them frustrated and pissed off because they'll have to deal with the BS that the rest of us with stuff like "Furs" have to deal with.

Like no stable trades.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Too bad they are chosen randomly so you might get stuck with a bonus that doesn't do anything for you.

Yep, I'm sure most people aren't up for a 500M+ gamble involved with the martian mine wonder. The resources are very good but because of the randomness the wonder is garbage, if you got to choose I think it'd be at least decently good.

It's too bad, because I don't admin to think that we're ungrateful, it's just that I think these obviously need some tweaking. And I will admit, the whole space exploration thing seems kinda ... meh. Is cybernations headed in a futuristic direction? Are we going to get the domestic products that were made available through the research that went into successfully landing/mining on mars? If so, I want to be the first to develop a Raygun Factory.