Question to satisfy my curosity

MOOFER

dljuly3 posted a question below about his roomates and reading it, together with just seeing that a friend and I are apparently on the same network, prompts the following: How is it that we have never logged in to our accounts on the same network yet are on the "same network". The only remote explanation I can think of is that I was over at his house the other night for a lan party and we were hooked up through one router, although we never logged in to our accounts, purposely to keep them separate. Nor have I ever checked my nation on my new desktop (which would have a different MAC address than my laptop or my friend's laptop, etc. So I'm really asking for what ever clarification can be provided as to this perplexing situation, which is, personally, a tad annoying.

**edit**further, the only other mechanism I can think of is that because so many small networks use the same 192.168.1.0-x configuration, many groups of friends will end up using the same IPs over time or through haphazard mistake or by sharing the same tracking cookie (which I surmise must be the only way to have recognized this...) I'm just really confused. Again, just looking for some clarification as to why this happened; i know the rules and will abide by them, but they don't explain the cause.

Edited by MOOFER