Is it sad that I totally love this game already?

:awesome:

Say; what could I do to improve my environment?

You could trade for water because it improves your environment by 1. Uranium and coal lower your environment by 1. Oil normally lowers it also, unless it is your native resource. Your population density should be under 70, or if you have water it should be under 120. Set your government position like this: BABBABA. Each border wall improvement that you buy will improve your environment by one, and increase happiness by 2, but it also lowers your population by 2%, so it isn't one of the first wonders you should buy. At the moment you can't get a better environment then 1+ the global radiation level which is 4.52. So if your environment is 5.52 that is the best it will be, unless you have radiation cleanup which makes the GRL half. Some things that improve your environment are worth it, while others are not.

Environment - Environment consists of a nations nature and surrounding conditions as well as its social and political atmosphere. Environment effects both your nations population happiness and population count. There are numerous variables in the environment bar which include some of the connected resources (imported coal, oil, and uranium bring your environment down), a nations tech level, infrastructure to land ratio, military to population ratio, not having access to water, certain government types, your responses to the drug and immigration government policy questions, owning nuclear weapons, etc... The better your environment the more citizens you get and the happier your total population will be. Since nations can never change their default resources nations are not penalized for their default coal, oil, or uranium resources. Only if those resources are brought in through trades does the nation get the environment penalty.

This is pretty much what steeldor said but I found a couple of new things.