Beyond the Horizons

Sarah Tintagyl

Valkurheim was all but vanished from the Hanseatic mindset in Australia, people still saw it on the maps, but the ease that the Hansa was no longer in Europe sent sighs of happiness throughout the halls of the Diet and across the streets in Brisbane. They were no truly a Pacific nation and rid of the Nordlandic past that many Hanseatics associated with the territory of Belarus itself. But there was a massive problem with the sudden loss of the territory. Not so much discontent, but the logistical situation of bringing thousands of emigrants back to the Pacific as well as the amounts of soldiers stationed there since the Mariehamm War. Tens of thousands of soldiers, hundreds of tanks, and aircraft would need to be transferred and it was causing headaches in the Hanseatic military all around.

Sarah had by this point report on report of the logistical crisis occurring in Belarus and the whining of nearly every general on the force, minus the Belorussian Commander-in-Chief Hannah Asgiersson, who had used tactics of an extremely forceful nature to even begin the removal of the Hanseatic presence from Europe. But she needed more help, more hands, and a better league of generals. Valkurheim had had a decent size Marchar population and most of the current generals in Belarus were either Finnish or Cymeag. Adding a Marchar to the mix would definitely ease tensions. She had called De Luit that morning to give him his order and immediately he had opposed any such transfer. Brisbane was where he was needed, to care for his people and to care for her Ladyship who had just started to recover from her duel. That hadn't bode well for Sarah, but as politely as she could, made sure he was on the plane the next morning. She had alerted Hannah with the news that he would be joining her in a few days and that he was to be treated with the utmost respect. Perhaps even as a higher rank.

But when Hannah had received such notice, she merely scoffed and tossed the note aside. "Sorry Lady Tintagyl, you aren't sending a pencil-pusher from Brisbane to do my job, at least not have him take command of it." She said leaving the halls of Valkurheim Castle to look down at the city below. "He's in for a real treat here."

Former Valkurheim:

Luis sighed as he stepped off the plane. He'd insisted that this assignment was absolutely unneeded...indeed, for the first time in his political career, the Lady Protector had directly overruled him. He'd stopped himself from demanding, but it had come dangerously close...he felt as though a slight tension had fallen over both of them, and he didn't know if it would leave them for a long time...

De Luit shook his head and walked down the plank; his finery diminished by his lack of grandeur, his irritation obvious as he stepped before the welcoming party, a very unhappy looking woman with a sarcastic look on her face saluting him...though rank would matter little in this situation, as she would outrank him for the duration of his service in the region. He returned it with a blank expression, stepping before her and reporting his orders: To serve as her Aide-De-Camp and her liaison to the Marchar...his irritation increased as he realized that for all intensive purposes, he'd be her lacky.

"Well, General...neither of us want to be here, but it seems we have no choice...duty calls. So, General, how can we make this situation more pleasant for the both of us?"

It wasn't the fact that Hannah was intimidated from De Luit presence, though she was definitely set off. After all this was the famed Lord De Luit, almost second in command under the Lady Protector herself. The Marchar had always been an accepted part of the Hanseatic culture, so there to wasn't a reason to be upset. War had made her a bit more xenophobic than she would like, but definitely not to her own people. No, it was his attitude. It was his eyes, his face, his unwillingness to seem to enjoy himself and that would make this entire operation harder. Marchar or not, she needed people dedicated to what needed to be done. Not Brisbane aristocrats who wished not to separate themselves from the gaze of the Lady Protector.

"You can start by trying to seem to enjoy yourself. General De Luit. I don't want to be here either, but I try not to look miserable, trust me it will make life much easier for both of us." She scoffed, but then turned a feigned smile at him and offered her hand. Someone at least needed to try to make it pleasant and if she was a commanding officer, that duty definitely fell to her. "Now if you'll come with me, we have a lot to do."

They walked down the empty hall of the military airport, the aides had gone separate ways leaving them alone. Hannah reached into her suit pocket and pulled out a few folded pieces of paper and handed them to Luis. "Since you're the Marchian envoy, you'll be dealing specifically with the Marchar population here. They're small, but large enough that if discontent were to sweep through them, we would be in a lot of trouble. In addition most of the Valkurheim divisions will be going immediately to the recent protectorates gained from Yamato. Lady Sarah has already emphasized that they are to be trained again. Field combat and riot police. So you'll be drillmaster of the 1st Belorussian Division." She laughed. "They launched the attack on the Nords in the last war and I'm very proud of them, so expect me to to be around that Division more than the others."

They pierced the entrance way of the airport and stepped out into the cool Belorussian air. She turned to him again. "I have a meeting to go to in a bit, with a few Prussian government officials. I would expect a man of your caliber to begin training and diving into work now. Unless the description I was given of you was incorrect. Any questions De Luit?"

Luis bristled for a moment, and then thought better of it. Even though he was the Commander In Chief of the Marchar Defense Forces, he had little standing in the proper Hanseatic military, having preferred his own position amongst his people. His rank was still being decided upon, but he had heard whispers from the High Command that he may be designated as low as Captain or as high as Lt. General. Shaking his head, he brushed off all thoughts of such a nature and resumed the position of attention, saluting her first this time. As he lowered his hand, he handed her a packet of papers, sealed by the Lady Protector's seal. Among the documents were his references, various accolades and awards...and his Orders.

"By the Order of the Lady Protector, Sarah Tintagyl, Commander-In-Chief of the Hanseatic Armed Forces: Luis De Luit, Keeper of the Marchar, C.I.C. of the Marchar Defense Forces, shall be posted to EUMILCOM Belorus, Central Military Command, General's Staff, Armed Forces East. His duties shall consist of aiding the Governor-General, acting as her liaison to the Marchar, Acting Second, acting Chief Adviser, Chief Inspector, Acting Representative of the Belorus Military District to the Diet, and acting military commander of forces so designated to be placed under his command. He is authorized all classification levels and need to know for all operations in Europe. To serve with the Governor-General until notified otherwise by LP, CIC, Hanseatic Armed Forces."

Luis grinned wryly as he watched the horrified expression on her face. "So basically I'm supposed to be your replacement if anything happens, and second to you in authority in the province...even if I'm only given the command of a Platoon. I'm still not quite sure how they managed to stick us in this kind of position, but until that's figured out, let's make the best of it, shall we? Like going to see these Prussian leaders..as your Second, I have to have a working knowledge of everything you know..just in case."

Hannah's eyes widened in disbelief at what De Luit was telling her. "You're my second in command?" Let me see those papers. She yanked the reports out of Luis' hands and her eyes moved like lightning as what he had told her was every bit the true that he had said it had been. She really couldn't believe it and it did nothing for her mood. Hannah had spent the last ten years of her life in the Hanseatic military. A captain in the Gebiv War she had lead a battalion of soldiers in the Battle of Rostock against the German forces and after the destruction of Helsinki, she alone had lead the army towards the safety of the Prussian State. It had been that that had sent her on the rise to become on of the great generals of the Commonwealth and yet she still didn't have the same respect that Kolm had or that even De Luit had. For being part of the nation that had the most respected woman in the world, females in the military were still at a disadvantage and seeing any threat to her command was something she took personally.

"Fine, well, there's nothing I can do about this." She chuckled. "Though please don't expect to be my babysitter, I'll be just fine where I am. Thank you very much." Hannah turned on her heels and began to walk towards the gates of the airport. "We had best be leaving. I don't want to keep the Prussians waiting."

Both her and Luis immediately traversed the rest of the airport towards the front gates, where a town car had been prepared for them to take them to Valkurheim Castle. Stepping outside into the cool Belorussian air, they turned towards the castle at the center of the city and if Luis looked close enough he could see the sadness it the young woman's eyes as she looked at the Prussian flag waving over the ramparts of the city. But before they could step into the limousine, a Hanseatic lieutenant blasted through the gates of the airport, panting from running to chase after them.

"Lady Asgiersson, Lord De Luit. I just received a messaged from Marshal Kolm. The rebellion in Lu, with the Yellow Tubans. They've crossed the border into the protectorate. The Lady Protector has ordered the immediate transfer of all personnel to Asia." He said with a salute.

Hannah's eyes dropped as she buried her head in her hands. "Its one goddamn thing after another." She turned and looked back at the Prussian flag and smiled. "Well I guess we have an excuse to get out of Europe finally. General De Luit, if you'd come with me to the plane, we can get moving to our next objective." She took out a piece of paper, with a large envelope attached. Inside were his orders as commander of the 1st Valkurheim Division as well as his promotion to Major General in the Hanseatic Military. She smiled as she walked back inside. "That's the last gift you're getting from me."

Luis took the papers in one hand and took the subordinate's position at her left, allowing her to lead board the plane first as was custom. He settled into the plush VIP seating with a sigh, directing the junior officers out of his cabin, wishing for a private word with the General. He sank back into the plush pillows, amused by the thought of how much she must detest the frippery, the grandiose nature of their surroundings...but he was a man who enjoyed finery, at least on some occasions, and he'd arranged for their surroundings to be sumptuous. He crossed his legs and stretched, the very picture of indolence, as he read over his orders.

"You know I haven't had a field command since I was an officer in the Camberlain Marine Corps, right? Technically you can count me as an operations commander, seeing as the Marchar are tasked with the safety of the Lady Protector, who we've defended on several occasions, but still...Well, there's no helping it, I'll command the Division and lead it to success. So, what are your plans, Ma'am? Surely you're not happy about a battlefield command after so long in this cold country. While it might be good for breeding better officers, a war right now is just an inconvenience for our growing nation...I'd much rather be relaxing poolside then going to China to find a land war, of all things. Who ever heard of a Marine in a landlocked country?"

She turned to him and glared with open eyes as the plane skirted against the brilliant blue Asiatic sky around them. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy the brilliance of the luxury that the general staff was open to. She wasn't inhuman or anything, but he was just taking it too far and then every word he spoke seemed to put her down. But if he intended to make her feel bad about herself, even slightly, he was dead wrong.

"What are you saying De Luit? Are you saying that the regular Hanseatic army isn't enough to defend this country or defend Lady Sarah herself?! I'll be damned if you're going to sit and talk to me about how great the Marchar defense force is, or how great the Lillian Guard is and how crucial they are to Lady Sarah's survival. If it weren't for the regular army, this country would have fallen a long time ago. It was the regular army that entered German shores on rowboats, it was the regular army that lead the charge in the Mariehamm War that brought that sickening hegemon to its knees." She took a deep breath and looked at him again.

"Plus, I've been waiting for this transfer for a long time. Its about time to get out of this hellhole of a continent and a land war is exactly what this country needs. And as a breeding ground for better officers, you're right, cause if you'd rather be relaxing by a pool then you aren't the type of general that I heard you were from battle reports. I'll be damned if you try to do anything to destroy the reputation of the army with this marine banter. We built this country, not you. So if you don't want to go to China, I'm sure you can find a post in Japan or back in Brisbane, pushing paper with all the politicians."

She scowled. "But that's all you Brisbane officers are anyways. Pencil Pushers...Kolm...you...the whole damn army." She turned away from him and looked out the window. "Just don't talk to me all right. I'll get you transferred when we land at Headquarters."

De Luit abruptly stood up from his seat, his eyes flashing, the playful nature that had lately become his most dominating feature vanishing in an instant. Without a word, he casually removed his overcoat, vest, and collared shirt...a white t-shirt clinging tightly to his chest.

If the situation was different, if what she would see wasn't so painful, then perhaps this would be too much.

Perhaps.

His fingers trailed across his left arm, tracing the path of a multitude of scars...blades, bullets, shrapnel...burn marks from explosions he'd drawn too close to. Casually, he placed his finger on one and named where it happened. "The Anarchist Uprising. I was fifteen, nearly done with school, ready to go out and see the world. The riots and the war came; I fought in one of the Volunteer Battalions, and some masked kid stabbed me with a broken bottle. The Slavic War; as a Camberlain Junior Officer, a trainee. I was given charge over a Marine Platoon when the Lieutenant who commanded it died; we were holed up in our blasted open bunker. The enemy came in the night, and ammo was low on both sides...we started pulling blades; thank God a working saber was still apart of the Field Uniform for officers. That night saw a combat knife go into me and not leave until the following night."

He was relentless; indeed, his upper body obviously bore the marks of war. "The Gebivian war: This is one of my proudest. So weak, so few, so unable to operate outside our little zone...and yet I took a thousand men to war for the Hansa. Our community barely survived...I took a bullet to the chest, pierced my vest without even stopping. I fought on and led the force to victory. And this one is my best; the scars of where the serpent bit me in the Australian desert because I put my life in front of the life of the Lady."

He breathed in an out heavily, riled still as he focused on anything but his anger. He thought of his behavior, of how dangerous it was to do something like this. But he didn't care; he'd earned his right to pretend to be normal; he rated to have a bit of fun, because at the end of the day, he had given up everything, even the remainder of his life, to Serve the Lady Sarah Tintagyl and their country.

"I pledged the day Camberlain fell to protect my people with my life; on the day that we were given Turku, the Hansa became my life. I have given everything I have up on the altar of the state and burnt it like a sacrifice. I have fought as a soldier and a Marine and an Officer; I have served my entire adult life. Do not question my courage or ability, Ma'am...those few talents are all that I have to separate me from the so called "better men" in Brisbane who push pencils and talk about their civilian style lives. Acknowledge, in private at least, that more than a quarter of your Army is Marchar, and that they care very much for the Lady Protector...and that the Marchar have promised to protect the Hansa for all time. Our oaths are legendary; that the entire race of the Marchar have sworn such should settle any doubts. But perhaps Marchar fidelity slipped your mind..."

He shook his head and felt himself snap back to reality. Pulling his shirt and other materials back on, he looked at her evenly, awaiting her response.

Edited by Margrave

Hannah listened to his story and sighed. She wanted to yell back, but there was no point. They were both far too strong willed to give either one any ground in such an argument. Turning in her seat she stared up at him for a moment and shook her head. "Well perhaps if you didn't try to portray yourself as a politician who hates the military life I wouldn't have said anything. But I guess everyone wears masks nowadays." She frowned. "I didn't mean to question your loyalty or the loyalty of your people General De Luit, but I would hope that you understand that I'm just as loyal to her as you and I don't think you understood that. I'm just as good as a commander as you marines, or as Kolm and De Montesque. But apparently if a female grabs a sword in this country its up there with mortal sin."

She laughed cynically. "I still can't believe that people haven't tried to lock Lady Sarah in her room for all the things she's done that isn't becoming of a woman. But whatever, I'm not explaining myself to anyone. But I will apologize for the questioning of loyalty." She said with a cringe as she got up out of her seat. "Anyways, I'm going in the back room. If you need me I'll be there." She said closing the door behind her leaving De Luit in the room alone.

*Days Later, The Chinese Front*

Luis sighed, sitting in on yet another meeting of the Military Council. The bigwigs from Brisbane had deigned to fly out, and Luis cooly composed himself as an aristocrat, handling them on behalf of the "Ma'am", as she was referred to. The Generals were quite impressed that they had set up the Division so quickly, and with their augments from the Hanseatic Marine Corps, The Belorussian Division (The working name for the division which had now lost its home) was making short work of Yellow Turban skirmishers.

He sighed as the meeting adjourned, his concise notes gathered in his hand as he left the HQ building and walked up the street to the Officers Quarters. The slum they'd set up base in was hardly worth the name; the streets were filthy and putrid, the people broken and lacking in will...it was everything that the Hansa wished to end in the world. Luis, however, could only do so much...however, Major General De Luit had quite a plan for the area...should it be approved.

Arriving at her doorstep, he let himself in after knocking three times; it was yet another one of those little "rules" she had worked out; she was often distracted by business, or stuck in the middle of a teleconference, so she could not let her second in command and aide in all the time. It was the same thing with the slick political generals from Brisbane; he had volunteered to deal with them and wring concessions out of them, and in return she would be free to handle the great struggle of running the Armed Forces in the region. Luis shook his head and went in, his papers in his hands, his plans neatly laid out, ready to propose the next great strategy for the conflict.

The Yellow Turban rebellion was beginning to show signs of dying down with the arrival of hundreds of thousands of allied troops in addition to the tens of thousands of Hanseatic soldiers who had been transported from Japan and from Belarus to the region for war. There of course were a few more problems that had arisen in the present. The Lu Rebellion was one, the rise of a Zargathian state was another, there was just so many more problems rising to those. Hannah had been running around, nearly non stop since the arrival of the Belorussian soldiers. The area was stable, no doubt, but she was still more than ready to get some time to relax. Alas, no such luck.

When the three knocks tapped on the door, her wooden desk in her tent was covered with papers and packages, her sword off in the corner of the room. "Come!" She shouted for a moment and then returned to her paperwork. Trying not to lose the break in her concentration in calculating troop strength for the next week or so.

Luis settled down in the chair in front of her, the perfect picture of indolence and boredom. His eyes, however, betrayed a fierce intensity as he handed her the papers.

"More useless blather from the old men and schemers. I got them to authorize our proposals for requisitions and ammunition, even got us an advance on our allotted funds...with a few well placed promises to whisper their name to Sarah's ear, of course. You know, it is refreshing being able to look at the political game from outside the power structure, as it were...I promise you Sarah will have a royal fit when she finds out about some of the corruption I've already uncovered by making them think of me as one of the "in the know"."

Sighing, he shook his head and handed her another packet of plans.

"This is the latest plan drafted by yours truly. I'll make this quick: I think the natives are rotting away, culturally...their civic spirit is nowhere to be found...they lack a national will. But the youth...the youth are very intrigued by the Hanseatic idea of freedom and democracy...indeed, I've already seen a few Civil Patrols taking responsibility in some of the towns and hamlets. But it isn't enough....not yet. My proposal is simple: We attach our most disciplined soldiers and Marines in Combined Action Companies with them...a Platoon of Marines or Grenadiers that supports a native Chinese company of Volunteer soldiers...if we can train the common man, we'll have the basis for a civic, loyal citizen after the war...less possibility of trouble coming back to this region. We need to make these people self-sufficient, so that they too can contribute to the Hanseatic state. What we do not want is this war to end and the Chinese people to be the welfare state of the Emp...the Commonwealth. We need them to be strong...so we must make them strong."

Hannah laughed when he almost let the word Empire slip from his mouth. She nodded as she took the papers from him. "Well its great to know we have more funding for operations up here." She smiled at him for one of the first times and it was definitely genuine. "As to the politicians, I could careless what happens to them. I'm sure Sarah can handle them herself, the executive branch's veto power is supreme and with the ability to propose and pass emergency laws, the Diet doesn't have as much power as they think they have."

She looked back down at his proposal. "Well I can't say that I disagree with this either. I think partisan training would be extremely effective, especially to make more citizens loyal to the Hansa." Hannah looked down at a map. "People are beginning to say that the Commonwealth is becoming a bit too expansive. Too many cultures, too many people. So loyalty is definitely a question that we need to tackle. But you have my approval to do this General. If you need any help with it just ask." She smirked for a moment and looked back up at him. "Also, don't say the "E" word too loud, people don't like to be ruled by a force they can't control and neighbors don't like to see a force that can be lead by influential leaders."

"Will that be all General? Or is there something else that you need?"

Hannah laughed when he almost let the word Empire slip from his mouth. She nodded as she took the papers from him. "Well its great to know we have more funding for operations up here." She smiled at him for one of the first times and it was definitely genuine. "As to the politicians, I could careless what happens to them. I'm sure Sarah can handle them herself, the executive branch's veto power is supreme and with the ability to propose and pass emergency laws, the Diet doesn't have as much power as they think they have."

She looked back down at his proposal. "Well I can't say that I disagree with this either. I think partisan training would be extremely effective, especially to make more citizens loyal to the Hansa." Hannah looked down at a map. "People are beginning to say that the Commonwealth is becoming a bit too expansive. Too many cultures, too many people. So loyalty is definitely a question that we need to tackle. But you have my approval to do this General. If you need any help with it just ask." She smirked for a moment and looked back up at him. "Also, don't say the "E" word too loud, people don't like to be ruled by a force they can't control and neighbors don't like to see a force that can be lead by influential leaders."

"Will that be all General? Or is there something else that you need?"

"No, General...I am quite fine. I will take my leave now."

*A Week Later*

MajGen De Luit was frustrated as he watched the soldiers on the parade deck. The Yellow Turbans, though not quite a terrifying force, were still draining the youth population in the area, and the C.A.Cs still weren't ready to be deployed as loyalist forces...too many variables, too many problems, and not enough men of Officer quality..at least, not yet. He had sent a cadre of the finest volunteers to Brisbane, to have them attend a crash-course version of the Marchar Defense Force Officer training. He knew that, with the strong emphasis of pride, tradition, and respect, the Marchar and the Chinese would bond, creating another link in the Hanseatic chain. And yet....there was trouble brewing, trouble that would eventually draw the attention of the Governor General herself...Unless of course, he told her first. He had arranged for the troops to be displayed in marching order today, close order drill being conducted as hard-bitten Sergeants wheeled and turned their troops in formation, the Chinese Volunteers taking to it with enthusiasm as undisciplined men became well trained soldiers under the careful supervision of the NCO's in charge. Drilling seperately was a formation of women...women who had volunteered for the deadly work of the Infantry, no less. No word had been given yet if they would even be allowed to join, and so they sat in limbo, a few sympathic Lilian's who had traveled with De Luit seeing to their training. He would await the General's daily visit to the training grounds...and let her decide for herself what should be done.

Hannah walked out to the parade ground on the front with a frown on her face. She found it easier to do and more effective to her subordinates if she tried to keep emotions out of the way. But for the lines of soldiers that stretched out in front of her, she couldn't help but chuckle when Luis presented them to her. Only weeks before, they had been rabble recruited from neighboring villages to keep them from joining up with the Yellow Turbans. Now they were hardened soldiers, seeming ready for any kind of problem thrown at them. Though, she still distrusted their effectiveness in battle, but who knew. Perhaps this was the future of the Hanseatic military.

But what really caught her eye as she walked down the parade ground, was the regiments of female soldiers how had been recruited. It was said that the regular army wouldn't accept them, but that their training outweighed the civil defense regiments. So there was a definite problem.

"I'll take care of them personally Luis." She said after reviewing the lines for the third time. "You seem to have hit a chime of where I wanted to lead this army and I look forward to building up the respect of females in our military." She smiled at him. "I guess I underestimated you." She held out her hand and took off the white glove of the general's uniform. "You're not a politician. You might work for them, but these men are well trained and I have you to thank for that. So yeah, sorry for my comments when we met in Valkurheim."

Luis took her hand and held it in his; her grip was firm, and her strength and personality were expressed in her stance, in the way which she conducted herself. Truly, she was an unpolished jewel of the Hansa, a woman of the Tintagylian breed; confident and able. He smiled, one of those rather charming looking expressions he'd used to make his way in the murky political waters of the Hansa; for a man in his position could not be without charm when the situation called for it. And yet it was an honest expression; pride that he had done work and done it well. Normally, it was only the Lady Protector whose praise gave him validation..and yet he felt oddly lifted, knowing he had earned the respect of this strict and uncompromising woman.

"M'lady, I am proud to know that I have earned your respect...and I promise that I will continue to earn it, as one of your commanders and as a warrior for the Hansa. As for the rest...we will see what we will see. The political situation is what it is; I pledged that I would fight on behalf of the common soldier, and in order to do that I have done some unpleasant things...I will probably continue to do so. Please, General, I ask only that you allow me to spare you the burden of these political issues, and allow yourself to devote full attention to the soldiery and the battles to come.

"And know this; you have proven your competence and ability time and time again; I believe that sometime, sometime very soon, there will be an official recognition of that fact. But regardless...you have my respect, and my loyalty, M'lady."

She only nodded and smiled as she released her hand from his. "Thank you General, thank you very much, I promise that it will not go unnoticed." Hannah then turned to the men in front of her, the soldiers still standing in salute as she returned her acknowledgment. "All of you have proven yourselves very worthy indeed and I look forward to serving with each one of you. God Save the Commonwealth! God Save the Lady Protector!"

They repeated the mantra and the salutes went down. Hannah turned back to Luis and his aides. "They're all yours now."