Anyone Else Notice the Tide of...

Drostan

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boring threads from people who haven't yet grasped the concept that nobody else actually cares what they have to say?

...is what I hoped the rest of the title would be. <_<

You could always start that thread. Also, if this is meant to be insulting, I feel like it was interesting to see what different alliances had been considered/created in the past. I would never have thought of an Ant Colony alliance to be sure.

I personally like the new crop of alliances. It gives us a break from the 3 million threads devoted to NPO terms (before they had them), alliance announcement that revert back to who started UJW or won it, how much cooler a certain alliance was with someone esle leading it and blah blah blah. It's the same cynicism everywhere. At least with newer alliances, the fun is still there and people are enjoying themselves. For instance, we had a well written story in an announcement the other day, and not too many people read it. Their loss not mine. We are the ones having fun without having to continually talk about the same things over and over again :P

I for one welcome my new Spartan and Athenian overlords :P

You could always start that thread. Also, if this is meant to be insulting, I feel like it was interesting to see what different alliances had been considered/created in the past. I would never have thought of an Ant Colony alliance to be sure.

Not really, it was just a prod in the direction of all the lousy threads that keep getting posted on the forums discussing current events. Especially the ones which are merely the author's input on a subject which is already being discussed in an existing thread.

Essentially, I wish people would stop posting threads (and posting in general) for the sake of drawing attention to themselves and start posting because they actually have something to say.

Essentially, I wish people would stop posting threads (and posting in general) for the sake of drawing attention to themselves and start posting because they actually have something to say.

i wish i could walk into a forum where someone wasn't ruining other peoples' fun talking about a subject that they apparently want to talk about. If you don't want to be involved in this thread, don't post in it.

i personally thought the ant colony was a hilarious idea XD i can't imagine why people wouldn't want to RP ants all the time :-/

See, now there's a fine balance to explore. Say nothing? People think you've silently disbanded. Say too much? People think you're desperate for attention. New alliances also have a tendency to sign lots of treaties right off the bat just so they can announce that they've got some powerful friends. Is that wise or foolish?

i wish i could walk into a forum where someone wasn't ruining other peoples' fun talking about a subject that they apparently want to talk about. If you don't want to be involved in this thread, don't post in it.

i personally thought the ant colony was a hilarious idea XD i can't imagine why people wouldn't want to RP ants all the time :-/

*waves antennae at Sethly in agreement*

*headbutts bluelightning in the thorax because he's an army ant*

I honestly don't see how you could roll play ants unless you made them able to speak. Or merely attempted to translate the instinctual impulses they experience into written language. In any case, it would certainly be a difficult task.

If I had wanted to draw attention to myself I would have posted a thread about attacking Sileath or RV.

The NSO system isn't perfect, but it is actually quite good, and it has been refined quite a bit since we started. The Challenge system (Which is what I assume Doitzel refers to above) has actually worked out much better than I honestly expected, and I think it is proving itself to be much more effective than regular elections. Obviously it relies on the membership's cooperation and maturity to a large degree but so far we haven't had any significant issues with it.

So what did you do when you had Sileath :P

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how fun it would be to start a Final Fantasy themed alliance, something I would love to do. A good way to do this would be based around the Shinra Corporation.
There actually was a Shinra Co. alliance awhile ago.

Beat you to that over a year ago we were awesome unfortunately NPO and TPF stole all our Mako and we went bankrupt.

I've founded two alliances, one made it a year, the first did not. I had only been a deputy the first time and wanted to go out on my own because I was sick of the glass ceiling. I was a total noob and was not ready. The alliance failed as a result. I was a year wiser when I worked to found Zenith and this time, I was ready

Some alliances consist of top level gov out taking a breather. These founders have served in top level government, been around the block a few times, and are now making their own way. Zenith was one of these. More of these will make it, but only if they find good people and have a lot of time. Other examples are NSO, The Jedi Order, Nemesis, Zero Hour, and Vires Noctu.

Then there are the alliances founded by people who are "too good" to fit into an existing alliance. These people insist on going their own way. These will continually fail because the founder never really learned to govern (due to constantly alliance hopping) and no one takes him or her seriously because s/he has been in so many alliances. Examples of these are anything founded by or containing one of these people as gov:

- Kobiashy

- Jack the Great

- Raydin

- Cool3tool

- Sileath

- RyanGDI (this may only be his first (I don't remember), but the rest seems to be true)

Alliances that are founded by people who just started life out on Planet Bob also don't do too well. I always chuckle a bit when someone has a DoE as their first post, it's never a good sign. Sometimes, it's an experienced reroll, but most of the time, it's someone brand new creating an alliance on their first day. A few of these do make it, but most of the time, they either don't grow and merge or fade away. Cybernations has a steep learning curve and it's very difficult to learn enough to really make it if you haven't served in an existing alliance before.

Of the ones that recently founded, the only ones that I think have a chance of going a year are House Atredies, New Era, and Zero Hour. Vires Noctu may, but I know the founders quite well and RL has a bad habit of eating them. If they get a comparatively tranquil year or get some good people in quickly to cover, it could very well make it. A few that I didn't mention will make it despite the factors against them because the founders are very talented and have a lot of time or they manage to recruit enough good people to carry the alliance through.

1. I totally agree with your initial post that doing it a second time around is alot easier than the first time. Also wtf DK you didn't put Eldar on your list of promising alliances or do I end up with Jack the Great and co :P

I personally disagree with the sheer amount of new alliances flooding AP these days. There are so many alliances already that there is almost nothing your alliance could offer than at least a few others don't already have. It's getting ridiciulous, especially with CN losing players.

I personally disagree with the sheer amount of new alliances flooding AP these days. There are so many alliances already that there is almost nothing your alliance could offer than at least a few others don't already have. It's getting ridiciulous, especially with CN losing players.

It's just not the quantity of new alliances, it's about quality as well. I really haven't seen many alliances that really seem to be really well thought out.

It's just not the quantity of new alliances, it's about quality as well. I really haven't seen many alliances that really seem to be really well thought out.

Heh.... Here's one of the issues that we run in to. We HAD months of planning go into our structure and future track prior to our Declaration of Existence on May 8th. Since then, we've seen the rise and fall of numerous alliances like FIRE who appear to be the next best thing only to fizzle out while we've hit a wall in our membership recruitment.

Their meteoric rise and solid statement of principles would have appeared to give them a perfect track for a Sanction. This would generally be the criteria for judging the 'quality' of an alliance. If that fails you, what's left? How can you tell how long an alliance will survive long-term?

There are also some quality alliances that may not appear it on the outside. I got to know Zenith a while back just in the process of expanding WAPA's diplomatic sphere on White Team, and have been impressed by the general air of professionalism they've displayed in their membership. They have 71 members and about 1.3m NS as of this post... They're not OWF superstars (Though Duncan King's guide to new alliances has been invaluable)... But they're on a short list of alliances I'd trust to do the Right Thingâ„¢ when the chips are down.

OK, so back to the question I was trying to get at... How does one gauge the 'quality' of a new alliance?

Edited by Vanadrin Failing