The GMs Court

hawk11

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a completely worthless statement that added absolutely nothing to the debate. Uber was just using Christianity as an example which he probably knows a little bit about. Would you prefer him to make a fool of himself and use a religion he knows nothing about?

derp :v:

Edited by Justinian the Mighty

Oh hey more people ruining other peoples fun just because it is different. Well shucks this is CNRP after all. Also just because people have done a little research and made a few prototypes doesn't mean the technology is viable.

Remember most technologies we use are only viable because we don't use economies in this little RP of ours. If costs effected our nations then we wouldn't have our uber weapons and armours of doom due to the costs involved but that is against the point.

To those who have ruined Mael's RP I say well done I hope you like ruining other people's fun it makes you seem really grown up.

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1281811446' post='2415883']
Oh hey more people ruining other peoples fun just because it is different. Well shucks this is CNRP after all. Also just because people have done a little research and made a few prototypes doesn't mean the technology is viable.

Remember most technologies we use are only viable because we don't use economies in this little RP of ours. If costs effected our nations then we wouldn't have our uber weapons and armours of doom due to the costs involved but that is against the point.

To those who have ruined Mael's RP I say well done I hope you like ruining other people's fun it makes you seem really grown up.
[/quote]
He can have his fun, it just can't be in our canon.

This is a community, not Mael's own personal playground. He can write as much non-canon RP as he wants.

Funny how we consider unproved religious incarnation unrealistic, but we don't take a look at things like battlesuits, space elevators, artificial intelligences, vampires, zombies, mythological beings, genetic modification, trans-species characters, trips to the outer solar system with approximately current-day technology, mass produced carbon nanotubes, effective fusion power, exosuits, walkers, surviving through nuclear explosions, portable nuclear reactors, and no damage done to the environment by wars and nukes.

[quote name='BaronUberstein' timestamp='1281811743' post='2415888']
He can have his fun, it just can't be in our canon.

This is a community, not Mael's own personal playground. He can write as much non-canon RP as he wants.
[/quote]

So where was the check for seeing if the community agree to battlesuits, space ships, AI's and other such aspects of accepted Canon? I for one havn't been asked on whether I think battle suits are acceptable or such things.

[quote name='Shadowsage' timestamp='1281811949' post='2415890']
Funny how we consider unproved religious incarnation unrealistic, but we don't take a look at things like battlesuits, space elevators, artificial intelligences, vampires, zombies, mythological beings, genetic modification, trans-species characters, trips to the outer solar system with approximately current-day technology, mass produced carbon nanotubes, effective fusion power, exosuits, walkers, surviving through nuclear explosions, portable nuclear reactors, and no damage done to the environment by wars and nukes.
[/quote]

Indeed you bring up a very good point.

[/quote]
Honestly I'd appreciate if these things were looked at. Whenever I design military equipment I try to make it realistic or use existing stuff.

I realize the issue concerning Maelstrom Vortex has been addressed, but there is a related subject that’s worth mentioning. Resurrection is unprecedented, but people often don’t die or stay dead in CNRP. Characters often have yet-unrevealed body doubles, acquire incredibly implausible transportation, initiate vague retroactive continuity, or survive without explanation.

Prime Examples of survival abuse include Kaiser Marten’s continued existence following direct strikes by multiple nuclear weapons or Baron Uberstein’s convenient previously unmentioned body double at an assassination during a peace conference. Lesser infractions are so widespread it’s impossible to keep track of, namely most anytime anyone flees a city from an incoming nuclear missile, if the ICBMs are going to strike in four minutes – your helicopter isn’t getting you away from the blast.

[/quote]
Battlesuits: these are for flavor.
Space Elevator: banned, grandfathered in.
AI: Lynneth's AI is for personal use only and has no real effect on RP.
Vampires/Zombies/Mythological beings: all non-canon with the distinct exception of the grandfathered stuff from years ago
Genetic modification: for the most part either extremely minor or for personal RP with no real effect
Trans-specific characters: if you're talking about lynneth's catgirl, again - it's a personal RP
Solar System: Mars wonder in-game = you can go to mars
Carbon nanotubes: grandfathered in, nothing is mass produced
Fusion power: wonder in-game
Exosuit: redundant
Walker: banned, grandfathered in
Nuclear explosion: I still don't recognize that and we've made a joke out of it
"Portable" nuclear reactors: I don't even know what this means
No damage done to environment: because you can't force people to RP !@#$ they don't want to within a reasonable limit.

[b]If Maelstrom wanted to revive himself for only personal use I'd be fine with it.[/b] But he's making a well-known character publicly come back to life, thereby actually changing how RP is done. Yes, there are some current impossibilities, but these are explained by the non-canon use (personal, having on effect on actual RP) or wonder bypass that we use in order to satisfy in-game stuff.

Edited by Sargun

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1281813070' post='2415904'][b]If Maelstrom wanted to revive himself for only personal use I'd be fine with it.[/b] But he's making a well-known character publicly come back to life, thereby actually changing how RP is done.[/quote] If Kaiser Martens, a well-known character, can publicly came back to life with a vague retcon - anyone can.
The problem is more of how Maelstrom Vortex came back to life, than the possibility Maelstrom Vortex isn't dead.

Edited by Generalissimo

[quote name='BaronUberstein' timestamp='1281808231' post='2415839']
So, if I know anything about Christianity, the only person who was resurrected in their holy book was Jesus. Nobody else. In their bible, Jesus was the son of god. So even if we follow the whole Christianity logic, Maelstrom would have to be calling his lizardmanstein the next Jesus for it to be logical from a biblical pov.

Please people, keep the impossible out of CNRP.
[/quote]
[quote name='KaiserMelech Mikhail' timestamp='1281810916' post='2415876']
Well, there was Lazarus. And some of the saints did some resurrecting.
[/quote]
Don't forget Moses. hHe was resurrected... ;)

[/quote]
Sargun's made some points, but I wanted to make some too.

[b]Battlesuits[/b]: To the best of my knowledge, people only give these to their Elite troopers anyway.
[b]Space Elevators[/b]: Only one, and done with global assistance, and over the course of [b][color="#ff0000"]MANY[/color][/b] RP years.
[b]Artificial Intelligences[/b]: Done with extensive RP, and the only ones that I recall ever using them anyway are Uberstein (who RP'ed an eccentric, crazy AI that couldn;t really do anything) and Lyn, whose character also only adds internal flavor, not external influence.
[b]Vampires[/b]: Banned already
[b]Zombies[/b]: Any unrealistic methods (such as them rising from the dead) banned, viruses are however, accepted.
Mythological beings: Already banned as absolutes, but accepted if other explanations are left open and posible to the reader (aka no absolute stated by the narrator)
[b]Genetic Modification and trans-species characters[/b]: Linked issues. Again, done with only extensive RP, and only affecting internal RP's. Genetic modifications are also, like Battlesuits, given only to Elite troopers.
[b]Trips to the outer solar system with approximately current-day technology[/b]: We can do whatever is within IG wonders, no more
[b]Mass produced carbon nanotubes[/b]: Only one player abuses this, really. Don;t know why it hasn't been dealt with yet.
[b]Effective fusion power[/b]: Was decided to be permitted through an IG wonder, and most peple using it RP extensive research
[b]Exosuits[/b]: Same as Battlesuts, only onot as advanced
[b]Walkers[/b]: Banned already
[b]Surviving through nuclear explosions[/b]: An important character cannot be kiled without the player's consent unless deliberately put in a dangerous situation (aka battlefield)
[b]Portable nuclear reactors[/b]: I assume you mean the miniature nuclear 'batteries extensively RP'd by Lynneth?
[b]No damage done to the environment by wars and nukes[/b]: As Sargun stated, we cannot force anyone to RP internal effects in their own nation

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1281813293' post='2415908']
If Kaiser Martens, a well-known character, can publicly came back to life with a vague retcon - anyone can. The problem is more of how Maelstrom Vortex came back to life, than the possibility Maelstrom Vortex isn't dead.
[/quote]
Agreed

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1281813293' post='2415908']
If Kaiser Martens, a well-known character, can publicly came back to life with a vague retcon - anyone can.
The problem is more of how Maelstrom Vortex came back to life, than the possibility Maelstrom Vortex isn't dead.
[/quote]

Where exactly would you get a double for someone who looks like a lizard?

I'm not particularly a fan of previously unmentioned body doubles, anyways. I always remember the time with Mael's head of government and Kevz's queen/president person. Even though Kevz claimed double, Mael didn't, and didn't even complain about the situation, and for that I respected Mael. In my opinion, Mael did it right back then. If you didn't state you were sending a double to a meeting, and that person gets shot in the head, he should be dead.

Concerning solar systems, Lynneth just went to Jupiter. As for in-game wonders, those are only named nuclear power plants; not specifically fusion power plants. Judging by the technological level of the other wonders and improvements, as well as the financial bonuses it brings I would consider it to be one of the fission plants actually operating today. The Space Elevator, and the launch loop for that matter are linked to the Carbon-Nanotube problem in that there are literally [i]miles[/i] of the material in each system.

One could argue that by declaring war in an RP sense, you are making your entire country a place of danger from which characters may be killed. Not in the best taste, but if you declare war there are bound to be consequences as opposed to using the same characters through dozens of conflicts and completely unrelated nations. Mythological creatures are still mythological even if the "inference" is left open, which in my opinion constitutes less than optimal RPing.

As for trans-species and genetic modification, these have been abused in the past. I wouldn't like to see them banned outright; but perhaps moderated to prevent some sort of monstrosity like... was it Xenu? ... from being used in a war-time environment under the guise of "if you don't recognize it, you're wiped."

I happen to agree in this situation with Generalissimo - this is less of a stance against "revivals" than a more anti-Maelstrom ruling.

[quote name='Drakedeath' timestamp='1281829624' post='2416153']If you didn't state you were sending a double to a meeting, and that person gets shot in the head, he should be dead.[/quote]The defender always gets an opportunity to post an action-defense-reply, which hardly ever happens in, [i][b]“I shotz you deadz lulz,”[/b][/i] scenarios. The 'body double' excuse is a quick way of working around OCC chatter and arguing if you had an ample opportunity to defend yourself preventing GM’s monitoring and deciding encounters.

Edited by Generalissimo

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1281832430' post='2416182']
I have a question about mythological beings: does this extend to cryptids or may we RP those? If not, may we RP searching and supposed "sightings" of the cryptids?
[/quote]
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a bunch of weirdos going off into the woods to look for bigfoot. Them finding him may raise some objections.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1281855922' post='2416492']
I've had a first hand encounter with a bigfoot, thus sighting them and rping with them is allowed. His name was Leroy by the way and he voted for McCain, damn him.
[/quote]

I had an encounter with Big Foot. His name was Vijay, and I rolled around in pain for some considerable time afterwards.

The crux of the issue is, unfeasible things are better off in the realm of non-canon, and should not be forced to be canon. Surely Mael should go ahead with the RP, if he so chooses, so long as he issues a disclaimer that it is purely non canon. It is a massive pill to swallow, the acceptance of super human, lizard men, with scales of steel and what nots, but even more taunting to expect the community to swallow the said entity returning to life after death. The slipper slope argument is very valid here, as quite soon who knows, even Godzilla, King Kong, Ginormica and Insectosaurus could make its way to CNRP.

To the argument about reincarnation and religion, aliens too have been thought to exist. Several people in fact have claimed to seen or have been abducted aliens. General intelligence (or lack thereof) has usually refused to believe in things without a verifiability. Simulation of things in CNRP should be constrained to matters that are scientifically ie, empirically verifiable, else we would delve too much into the Fantasy aspect and go beyond the realm of CNRP as we know it.

Godzilla, meet AC-130 Gunship.. Bye Bye Godzilla.

Next?

And my bigfoot sighting is a true story. Thus I'm going to have to insist on Bigfoots being allowed in CNRP. It is only fair after all, and far more plausible than most of flaky tech floating around and the hilarious national economies being pandered about like rancid Gouda cheese.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

[quote name='BaronUberstein' timestamp='1281808231' post='2415839']
So, if I know anything about Christianity, the only person who was resurrected in their holy book was Jesus. Nobody else. In their bible, Jesus was the son of god. So even if we follow the whole Christianity logic, Maelstrom would have to be calling his lizardmanstein the next Jesus for it to be logical from a biblical pov.

Please people, keep the impossible out of CNRP.
[/quote]

To the cultists, he is Jesus. And he's still out there as a religious force. Who do you think caused the rogue wave? Someone had to make it happen :-P

Punishment for failure to convince the world to accept his return :-P lol.

[quote name='kevin']

[/quote]

It's not completely annihilated. The Dreamer religion itself is based on the explicit interpretation of CNRP's rules. Thus, when the mods came, the RP continued by the world bending to what was handed down by the supreme beings.. aka. Rogue wave sunk barge. Just makes it much more harder for the Dreamer to interact with the world.

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1281813070' post='2415904']
Battlesuits: these are for flavor.
Space Elevator: banned, grandfathered in.
AI: Lynneth's AI is for personal use only and has no real effect on RP.
Vampires/Zombies/Mythological beings: all non-canon with the distinct exception of the grandfathered stuff from years ago
Genetic modification: for the most part either extremely minor or for personal RP with no real effect
Trans-specific characters: if you're talking about lynneth's catgirl, again - it's a personal RP
Solar System: Mars wonder in-game = you can go to mars
Carbon nanotubes: grandfathered in, nothing is mass produced
Fusion power: wonder in-game
Exosuit: redundant
Walker: banned, grandfathered in
Nuclear explosion: I still don't recognize that and we've made a joke out of it
"Portable" nuclear reactors: I don't even know what this means
No damage done to environment: because you can't force people to RP !@#$ they don't want to within a reasonable limit.

[b]If Maelstrom wanted to revive himself for only personal use I'd be fine with it.[/b] But he's making a well-known character publicly come back to life, thereby actually changing how RP is done. Yes, there are some current impossibilities, but these are explained by the non-canon use (personal, having on effect on actual RP) or wonder bypass that we use in order to satisfy in-game stuff.
[/quote]

This is a completely useless non-answer. What is the point to having a character and having no world for it to be in? Thanks for trying.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1281889431' post='2416716']
This is a completely useless non-answer. What is the point to having a character and having no world for it to be in? Thanks for trying.
[/quote]
For fun.

But you refuse to even say "non-canon RP [b]but you can still reply to it as if it were[/b]" which would have created a world and everybody could have participated. The only difference is that nothing leaves that thread. You can make another thread after that and even more that correspond to events ongoing in RP but nothing leaves the thread.

But you don't want that, you want to recreate Jesus and want to be able to say "oh well I created X which is better than your Y" which is what you did with the Cult, the Empire, the USA, and you're trying to do [b]again[/b]. This has nothing to do with beliefs and everything to do with your ego.

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1281901694' post='2416888']
A little off topic, but:

So Lynneth rerolled. What's happening to the space elevator?
[/quote]
My guess is that it'll stay, since when he first built it (Saboria/Canada) and first rerolled (Singapore/Austria) it was put under Lavo's protection. Unless something else has changed, it may be given to Lavo again.