The Trial of Albert Tanzband

The bailiff walked out, and silenced the courtroom,

"We are now beginning the Trial of Albert Tanzband, on accusations of crimes against humanity (Guilty ensures life sentence), war crimes (50+ years to life), and the accessory reckless manslaughter (25 to 50 years for every death) of all those who died in Nordland's aggressive wars. All rise for the honorable Judge Pokka."

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Degan Narris frowned as he sat in the jury box. He didn't believe that the punishment fit the crime. The man had seemed genuinely remorseful for what had occurred under his watch, and seemed to truly believe he was doing something for good. He would keep this in mind for later trials, knowing how harsh the judge could be with a guilty sentence.

Also, he asks for a list of formal charges to be presented for each of the accused, along with a maximum sentence for each so the jury knows what we are looking at when deliberating and can make recommendations to the judge.

The Pax Pacis Delegation asks for the actual list of crimes against humanity and the war crimes to be clarified instead of clumped together in one gorup and could you also show where this reckless manslaughter occured during the war?

OOC: To repeat myself, If a guy IRL gets 150 years for defrauding people, I think I can give someone 200 years for war crimes. :P

OOC: Madoff's sentence is a joke, first off. And secondly, the most anyone has ever gotten for a war crimes trial (besides death, which isn't an option here) is life imprisonment. Which would be 75 years, tops. 200 is extreme and unnecessary. A little digging finds that anyone who didn't get life in prison, only got a max of 20 years. If you continue on this path, expect to have multiple hung juries on your hands, and I'm serious about that.

The Pax Pacis Delegation asks for the actual list of crimes against humanity and the war crimes to be clarified instead of clumped together in one gorup and could you also show where this reckless manslaughter occured during the war?

"They will be clarified in the statements of the prosecution, while the accused's guilt or lack there of is being shown. All that is needed at this point of the trial is the basic charges.""

OOC: Madoff's sentence is a joke, first off. And secondly, the most anyone has ever gotten for a war crimes trial (besides death, which isn't an option here) is life imprisonment. Which would be 75 years, tops. 200 is extreme and unnecessary. A little digging finds that anyone who didn't get life in prison, only got a max of 20 years. If you continue on this path, expect to have multiple hung juries on your hands, and I'm serious about that.

OOC: Life is a non-specified sentence, just as long as they die at the end. The long sentences for things like murder are symbolic of their crimes. That's why people will sometimes get sentences in the range of hundreds of years, rather than just life.

"They will be clarified in the statements of the prosecution, while the accused's guilt or lack there of is being shown. All that is needed at this point of the trial is the basic charges.""

"Very well but before any sentance is passed will will wish to hear the full list of detailed charges".

Tanzband sat at the defense table, he wore a simple black suit and a red tie. With his hands crossed on his lap, he listened as his defense began procedures.

His attorney, Alfred Memelhem--the legal master behind Prussia's independence from Nordland and the current liberation of the various European ethnic groups across Europe--stood and addressed the jury.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury...Albert Tanzband is no criminal. Indeed, if it were not for the actions that Tanzband took during the Mariehamm Campaign, and during the duration of Nordland's rule. Was it not this gentleman who ordered the destruction of the nuclear and chemical weapons aimed toward the Hansa homeland? Was it not this gentleman who worked with TEC and Coalition forces for the weeks and days prior to the declaration of war against The Greater Nordlandic Reich?

Aside from his current actions, it is obvious that Herr Tanzband is separate from the despots his nation associated with. When Prussia joined Nordland, he was temporarily put into exile by Herr Bruno Zamoyski, only to return himself to his beloved to reform the Prussian system and their relation with the world and Nordland. Tanzband was always open to speak with nations cut from any cloth and of any system.

Contrary of popular belief, Herr Tanzband--a man who built great respect within the aristocracy and citizenry of his nation--was not affiliated with the functions of Nordland Proper, no, he was essentially a governor of the Prussian länder, a man who fought for his citizens, and not the nation proper. He was a man you could consider a moderate in the world scheme, and a radical liberal compared the other leaders of his nation.

He allowed democracy to flow in his länder, the only länder in Nordland to do so.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I present to you a man who did not take lives...but rather saved millions. If it were not for the noble and brave actions that Herr Tanzband took, the war would have never ended, nuclear hell would be spread around the world, and the people of Europe would not be free.

Thank You."

He sat and smiled at Tanzband, waiting for the rebuttal.

OOC: Life is a non-specified sentence, just as long as they die at the end. The long sentences for things like murder are symbolic of their crimes. That's why people will sometimes get sentences in the range of hundreds of years, rather than just life.

OOC: You're speaking to someone who has taken law courses, and you are incorrect. For things like Bernie Madoff, there is no death sentence for fraud. The reason his sentence was so long was because of all the non-concurrent charges he was found guilty of. That is the only reason he got sentenced to 150 years, because he didn't cooperate.

Now, you're telling me that these men we're putting on trial here are worse than the Nazis? Men who killed tens of millions of people because they were different and caused a death that killed tens of millions more? Seriously, you are trying to make that argument with a straight face?

I will reiterate what I said earlier... continue with the ridiculous sentences, and you will get hung jury after hung jury, and all of these men will go free.

OOC: Tens of millions did die by the Nords - the nuclear holocaust they started completely destroyed the Rebel Army - and that's just one country.

OOC: Nuclear holocaust is something completely different from the actual holocaust. Trying to even compare the two makes you seem shallow and uncaring.

The U.S. killed 200,000 with their bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That could be considered nuclear holocaust on those cities. By your logic, the US pilots, generals, and government should have been tried as war criminals as well.

OOC: Nuclear holocaust is something completely different from the actual holocaust. Trying to even compare the two makes you seem shallow and uncaring.

The U.S. killed 200,000 with their bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That could be considered nuclear holocaust on those cities. By your logic, the US pilots, generals, and government should have been tried as war criminals as well.

OOC: I'm not the one who gave it the name nuclear holocaust, and you're the one bringing death tolls up. I'm simply pointing out that they killed a lot of people and I used Lavo's phrase for it. Don't give me !@#$ about terminology.

more importantly, my point is that 1) they killed a lot of people and 2) the wars they started were racial at the core.

Edited by Sargun

OOC: They should have well the government anyway but enough OOC lets stay IC please!!!

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defense will tell you toady that Tanzband is a man of peace. They will dwell on the facts that he Patched up relations with Slavorussia and helped found the CEU, now a powerful, yet peaceful bloc, and that he gave up most of the former Nordic land for new nations. This may be true, but it does not take much to see that this is merely a cover for his times in leadership of Nordland. He is just as responsible for the senseless bombings of the Hanseatic Commonwealth as anyone else in Nordland's Government." The attorney took a deep breath, and wiped some sweat from his brow, "The man deserves to rot."

The attorney began to shake a bit as he sat back down, knowing that his case was shoddy and poor at best.

OOC: You're speaking to someone who has taken law courses, and you are incorrect. For things like Bernie Madoff, there is no death sentence for fraud. The reason his sentence was so long was because of all the non-concurrent charges he was found guilty of. That is the only reason he got sentenced to 150 years, because he didn't cooperate.

Now, you're telling me that these men we're putting on trial here are worse than the Nazis? Men who killed tens of millions of people because they were different and caused a death that killed tens of millions more? Seriously, you are trying to make that argument with a straight face?

I will reiterate what I said earlier... continue with the ridiculous sentences, and you will get hung jury after hung jury, and all of these men will go free.

OOC That is up for debate. And for the hung jury, I believe that I've stated earlier that a hung jury means a retrial with a new jury

OOC: What is the difference between a 200 year sentence and a life sentence? They die at the end anyway. The man committed war crimes and pleaded guilty. Since there is no death sentence in these trials, I think my ruling my just.

OOC: What is the difference between a 200 year sentence and a life sentence? They die at the end anyway. The man committed war crimes and pleaded guilty. Since there is no death sentence in these trials, I think my ruling my just.

OOC: The difference is that a life sentence equates to a 75-80 year sentence in the legal world, not a 200 year sentence. Yours simply was immature and added insult to injury. I'm honestly not sure why the former Nordland powers allowed you to preside over this instead of an unbiased third party who actually has law knowledge. Your first ruling and subsequent reasons for it have already shown that you cannot remain unbiased. Plus, when someone pleads guilty, that shows remorse to the court, and usually calls for a slightly more lenient sentence, not an extremely harsh one.

OOC: 200 years means you can make an appeal and get out early, life, you're stuck. Plus, if he's serving in my country (Which I assume he is), he can make an appeal after only a year or two. It's no guarantee, but a definite possibility.

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

OOC: The difference is that a life sentence equates to a 75-80 year sentence in the legal world, not a 200 year sentence. Yours simply was immature and added insult to injury. I'm honestly not sure why the former Nordland powers allowed you to preside over this instead of an unbiased third party who actually has law knowledge. Your first ruling and subsequent reasons for it have already shown that you cannot remain unbiased. Plus, when someone pleads guilty, that shows remorse to the court, and usually calls for a slightly more lenient sentence, not an extremely harsh one.

OOC: Feliks, the guy who created the character, said it was fine. Just ask him.

Also, this isn't the AMERICAN Legal system. This is a system we created specifically for this trial.

Edited by BaronUberstein