The Knowledge of War

Zarfef

********CLASSIFIED********

The battle to the south was still raging between the Nodic Forces, Von Zak and the forces of the UMS and the smoke from several burning airplanes still swirled in the sky from the long term fuel reserves of several Somal Fighter air-craft... not even the maggots had gotten a chance at the flesh of so many soldiers... and already the Aether Empire was developing new technologies from the knowledge learned during the conflict.

The testing could not take place within the Aether Empire itself, so it was secretly performed to the south as though it were a training exercise by Von Zak.

What was involved were new War Tzars and plans for safe-guarding the underground cities of Nod from enemy "bunker-busters". The new designs consisted of a new type of armor and an enhanced electrical system that would increase the tanks effective nature on home soil. The new system in production would utilize a new radical form of armor that (while really no thicker then the old armor) was separated into three layers with a new more conductive outer surface placed over the armor and another conductive surface placed via strong insulators over that. These were in turn connected to a large capacitor bank, which was powered by an external source or from the tanks own engines.

When an enemy round penetrated the outer shell of the tank, it would connect the first capacitance wall with the second and form a complete circuit with the capacitors stored in the back. A huge amount of current would then surge through the system and the tank shell (being the greatest resistor in the system) would dissipate most of energy in terms of heat. Such a massive discharge would massively heat up the shell itself, prematurely igniting any internal explosions on the outside of the tank or (as hot metal is weaker then cold metal) causing the shell to hopefully "splash" off the second layer of armor beneath the second conducting layer.

Conductive solenoids were also placed under the tank for the purposes of allowing it to access any nodic power systems nearby via techniques used for stealing power by farmers for ages via inductance. If Nod, Aether or Raochin (as requested by these intelligence officers) were to place solenoids connected to their power stations, they could power these tanks with full power greatly enhancing the strength and range of these War Tzars in their usage for RADAR purposes. Giving them the strength of a stationary unit.

Similar defensive structures were also planned for the safeguarding of underground facilities in Raochin, The Nation of Nod or Aether using large conducting recycled sheets to act as capacitors just under ground. Upon impact of a bunker buster, the sheets would discharge THROUGH the bunker buster sending massive amounts of current and heat across the explosive munition, causing it to explode on the surface before it could go deeper and cause any harm (or destroy it's on board electronics in the discharge first)... These would be powered by large capacitor banks in the cities themselves... As the current flow would be nearly instant compared to the order of magnitude of the travel of the weapons themselves, large expectations were expected of these new systems and it was hoped that... at least in the future they would provide an excellent defensive capacity to the War Tzar and Aether and Allies defensive structures.

The War Tzars had been the greatest weapon in employment of the Aether Empire during the last war, and their enhancement became a top priority. The air-force and long range bombardment on the other hand was their enemies greatest advantage, so finding ways to neutralize this was the purpose for developing the new electricity based armor weapons.

OOC: I'd normally just drop this in my factbook but I figured it would be better to RP it out a bit.

Edited by Zarfef

OOC: facepalm.

If you ever get on IRC I'll explain exactly why this will never, never ever work.

OOC:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...and-shells.html

No. I decided to do more research and found to my amazement that it already exists. And I'm only attaching stupid capacitors to some metal plates so I can't see why it would be outside my tech range either.

Edited by Zarfef

OOC:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...and-shells.html

No. I decided to do more research and found to my amazement that it already exists. And I'm only attaching stupid capacitors to some metal plates so I can't see why it would be outside my tech range either.

OOC: Its a development armour, so First world restricted. 1500+ tech needed.

This technology has not yet been introduced on any known operational platform.

OOC: Its a development armour, so First world restricted. 1500+ tech needed.

This technology has not yet been introduced on any known operational platform.

OOC: Wait, I thought we decided Modern could develop things too, like me developing the XM8.

Edited by Arkantos

OOC: Is it my fault that Ratheon or whomever is designing this thing is taking forever in the development time frame to get this thing operational? How hard can be to attach a capacitor to a hunk of metal!? I might not be able to pulse and set advanced waveforms to my electric shock output maximizing it's destructive performance LVN but really? A capacitor connected to two sheets of metal with an insulator in between. I can't make that but I can build an entire tank with an internal combustion engine and rotating turret, multiple tank treads and electronics for spark plugs and whatever else I need.

We probobly have different philosophies on our ideas, to me as a physicist I look at the world through the following paradigm:

There exists no new modern physics for the most part, only new paradigms, we've had the same laws of QM and GR with great development since the 1930s. The fact that it took the world till the 1960s and beyond to start making use of even these is just the worlds bad luck. The technology for this type of weapon has existed since the 1800s and the only thing that requires anything modern is the existence of a power source from the tank itself. The capacitors couldn't be more simplistic and any 112 student, nay, any advanced high school physics student could build this in my opinion.

The only thing in my opinion that modern nations have over third world if we're comparing 1980s to 2020 science are more sophisticated complex designs. They are simply providing a better mouse, but no new mice from what I've seen, they could, but from the 1980s to 2020 we also lack a Soviet Union or major competitor, so what our nations military IS and what it COULD BE are two different things. If the cold war happened between 1980-2020, the things you would see from both sides would be far more impressive then what is being pumped out now. So why I can't build this thing in my nation when I could build it MYSELF I can't understand.

Give me a box of caps, a simple power inverter, two sheets of copper, 1 inch thick rubber and some wires of the appropriate gauge and your basically done (with the application of even the most poorly done soldering job in the world). The company responcible for this must be just sitting on it to grab some extra doe and throwing in features like pulsing or more advanced caps/materials to meet some military set goals that don't take the engineering into consideration. But this is pathetically easy to implement. Basic PHY 112 stuff.

OOC: But here, we go by IG tech. Ifyou haven't seen the tech scale, it basically goes like this:

Third World: Can't make their own military equipment, has trouble maintaining what they have. 0-499 tech

Modern: Can maintain and build their own military hardware, but only using equipment from up to RL 2009. 500-1499 tech

First World: Can build and maintain their own stuff, even futuristic to a degree, so lond as it's in reason, I.E. no Death Stars or 600 MT conventional bombs. 1500+ tech.

You currently have 50 tech, making you third world, so you can't research or develop anything. You have to buy stuff from Modern and First World nations.

Third World Nation (0-299 tech)

Your technology level is very low, and are developing your own way in the world. You have cold war technology*, and any tech you recieve from other nations (weapons, aircraft, etc.) is not easily maintained without help. It's much like what buying tech from other nations is now IRL. You may design items appropriate to the period.

No, it's from 0-299 tech I'm 3rd world and I may design technologies according to the last sentance that could exist during the 1980s.

Edited by Zarfef

OOC: Ugh, not this stuff again... this was looked at here in the US as well for a while, but the idea was, for the most part, scrapped because of power usage problems and the sporadic shorting out of other key systems on the Abrams and Bradley vehicles. It was tested several times at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds and at White Sands. The Army gave it the "Impractical for Field Application" stamp and sent it back to ARPA. And if the brains that came up with this idea cant make it work yet...

Speaking as a mechanized soldier, I can say I wouldn't want this system anyways. Things that electrify my vehicle make me damn nervous.

Edited by DeSchaine

OOC: Ugh, not this stuff again... this was looked at here in the US as well for a while, but the idea was, for the most part, scrapped because of power usage problems and the sporadic shorting out of other key systems on the Abrams and Bradley vehicles. It was tested several times at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds and at White Sands. The Army gave it the "Impractical for Field Application" stamp and sent it back to ARPA. And if the brains that came up with this idea cant make it work yet...

Speaking as a mechanized soldier, I can say I wouldn't want this system anyways. Things that electrify my vehicle make me damn nervous.

Meh, Gauss' Law says you're fine... you're safe even if a lightening bolt directly strikes your tank as long as you don't grab onto the side and then touch the ground right after :P. You could "possibly" even sit on top of the thing while it was charged! (Birds can sit on power-lines because both feet are touching the wire at the same potential (in other words a potential difference of zero) it's only if their wings hit a ground do they fry.

I'd also expect it to have some problems like shorting out or draining too much power, like I said:

or more advanced caps/materials to meet some military set goals that don't take the engineering into consideration

The US has a heck of a lot of tech and can afford to play around around with systems until they meet the desires whimsically thrown out there by the US military. For nations like me though, this system would be great even if it DID drain a lot of energy. We don't have depleted uranium shields (you're worried about a little electricity when we cover our tanks in material that (if not completely depleted) poses it's own set of risks).

Neither would worry me though, a lot of this stuff is rather safe. But in my own opinion, this at least is easily feasible in it's simplest inception. DeSchaine as far as power output in terms of heating an enemy round goes, you can't crush water from a stone, they're just waiting around till the army implements a larger power supply on future tanks as their main hurdle and then throw in some more simple safe-guards to avoid it shorting out (they just need more insulation for this). The best technology in the world (anything short of a nuclear-powered tank) won't increase the viability of the system for the US, its really just a simple technology that we didn't like. But like I said, I feel it's perfectly feasible (even for nations with 1940s tech).

Edited by Zarfef

OOC: Do!@#$e... >_>

Well, I'll have something to look forward too in the future! In the meantime I have a design for a stealth bomber that has a range of a 1000km and a max speed nearly Mach 1. I've decided to go for German engineering in the design of my new bombers, if I'm allowed 1980s technology surely I'm allowed WW2 style technology for my planes!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...de-Britain.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229

Performance

Maximum speed: Mach 0.92, 977 km/h (607 mph) at 12,000 m (39,370 ft)

Combat radius: 1,000 km (620 mi)

Ferry range: 1,900 km (1,180 mi)

Service ceiling: 16,000 m (52,000 ft)

Rate of climb: 22 m/s (4,330 ft/min)

Wing loading: 137.7 kg/m² (28.2 lb/ft²)

Thrust/weight: 0.26

By the way... I wasn't saying I was using the technology the US military is developing today, I developed my own technological idea with stuff laying around from that time. The article simply was to show you that your declaration that it would never, ever... ever work was not valid.

Edited by Zarfef

OOC: As the only gm, Your word is law :awesome:

OOC; A scary thought, to hold that much power in my hands...er, have that much power at my fingertips.

Sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun.

I'll try not to abuse this power.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC; A scary thought, to hold that much power in my hands...er, have that much power at my fingertips.

Sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun.

I'll try not to abuse this power.

OOC: I trust you not to far more than I trusted LVN. My trust has not faltered. ALL HAIL SUBTLE!!!

OOC: Aether, with LVN gone and subtles approval, I see green lighting for your ELERA concept!

OOC: No actually, LVN ruled on it while he was still GM, so unless Subtle overturns the ruling, he still can't RP this.

The Kingdom of Cochin is willing to cooperate with Aether Empire in developing the Armor system and Stealth System. We propose a 50-50 Joint Venture.

We ask that any technology evolved out of this project will be used primarily in our own defense forces and will be offered to any third party only through mutual agreement.

OOC: This way no one need to complain about tech scale. I am a first world nation and thus Aether will be able to develop his armor. I am interested by the ideas he has proposed.

Seriously thwarting good ideas because of a lack of Tech is kinda like snobbery. It is not as if he is proclaiming a break through in fusion weapons technology!!!

Zarfef: Aether is thankful for the offer, (OOC: You can develop these easily on your own of course) but given the recent conflict and battle it would likely shine badly on us from our allies and our people. We were just at each others throats and the peace discussions are still under way... besides which HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THESE SECRET TECHNOLOGY TESTS! Hopefully this won't effect the meeting still in progress... rats. You didn't see anything, this was all the work of Von Zak! That's right! Bomb the region where it's being developed to oblivion! It may be one of his infamous chemical weapons plants we were worried he was building!

OOC: I'm thankful for the support, but I think I can afford to look forward to a few things in the future! Admittedly, the only reason I don't have higher RP tech now is because I'm doing a lot of tech dealing. If I stop tech dealing it hinders the growth of my nations ability to help it's alliance because I'd be turning down close to a 7 mil a month in aid in terms of tech deals. In the meantime... I wait... when I do reach the time when my nations tech starts to grow, expect it to explode!

We understand the reservations Aether Empire have in this regard, but please do bear in mind that, though we may war, it does not preclude the chance of a friendlier relationship in the future.

Though we may fight you and try to kill you, we also respect you.

OOC: Understood. Just wanted to throw u a line!! :D