Best Alliance Flag

Rocknraider

Best Alliance Flag  

660 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All of these flags are terrible. I'd take Pacifica's over all of these combined. FOK's is tolerable I guess, but all of the others are bad (wave effects >_<)

did you look at any of the flags, NpO's is the only one with Wave Effects...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted IAA, not because I'm biased, really, it's just simply enough to be an actual flag (unlike FOKs, I mean, who can even try to draw that by hand? :P ) though unique enough to set itself apart, with a good design and simple colors (aka: Not 500 million).

Personally like it the best.

All of these flags are terrible. I'd take Pacifica's over all of these combined. FOK's is tolerable I guess, but all of the others are bad (wave effects >_<)

The NPO's an NpO's are practically the same. How can you not like one and like the other? I understand liking one more because of colors, however there shouldn't be that much of a difference in how well liked they are.

EDIT: Wave effects makes it look more realistic.

Edited by Nintenderek

did you look at any of the flags, NpO's is the only one with Wave Effects...

I was just cringing at the NPO flag.

The NPO's an NpO's are practically the same. How can you not like one and like the other? I understand liking one more because of colors, however there shouldn't be that much of a difference in how well liked they are.

Solid Colors. NpO's flas has far too many lines. Star and globe are ugly. As for the others,

FOK-The Dutch flag, with a lion. Looks nice, but no points for creativity there.

VE-The IJN ensign, but with two colors that go terribly and a poorly rendered thing inside the 'sun'.

FAN-Having images that detailed on flags is usually pretty ugly, the random thin yellow stripes don't help either. Does get points for being instantly recognizable and distinct.

IAA-The colors don't mix well together; the white space looks terrible, as does the thingy in the center. Stars and olive branch don't match well.

TOP-Orange and black. That's unfortunate. Also, the placement of the skull is awful- no good flag has the emblem in the lower right.

I love FOK and IAA's flag, however I think that ours is the best of those choices, really.

FEAR's flag is still my favorite.

Thanks!

All these final choices are great. I almost voted for FAN's, but NpO's is just so nice to look at. I voted NpO. :)

Just for fun, I'll see how each flag does using THE FIVE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF FLAG DESIGN

1. Keep It Simple

The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory…

FOK-Fail. That lion is not getting done.

VE-Fail. Good luck getting the shield and griffin right.

FAN-Fail. Again, that's an actual carefully rendered image (albeit a familiar and iconic one)

IAA-Fail. No explanation needed.

TOP-The platypus skeleton is pretty hard to get right- and it looks like nothing if it isn't. Fail.

NpO-Barely fail. Getting the stars and globe right is tricky. The least bad though still, Fail.

2. Use Meaningful Symbolism

The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes…

FOK-Netherlands, lion, check. Pass.

VE-Griffin and shield. There is green, so barely pass.

FAN-Pass, with flying colors. Perfect image for symbolism.

IAA-I see some random junk hanging around. Fail.

TOP-Paradox Interactive heritage, check, orange, check. Pass.

NpO-NPO heritage, check, blue, check. Pass.

3. Use 2–3 Basic Colors

Limit the number of colors on the flag to three, which contrast well and come from the standard color set…

FOK-Pass.

VE-Nice job chooosing two colors that contrast terribly. Fail.

FAN-Pass.

IAA-Again, terrible contrast. Fail.

TOP-Orange and black :(. Fail

NpO-Colors are little weird (iced over?), but basically ok. Pass.

4. No Lettering or Seals

Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal…

FOK-Pass.

VE-Pass.

FAN-Pass.

IAA-Pass.

TOP-Fail.

NpO-Pass.

5. Be Distinctive or Be Related

Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections…

FOK-Fail, sorry but using the Netherlands right outright is too much (lion already shows connection).

VE-VE's great similarity to the Imperial Japanese Navy, showcased well. Fail.

FAN-Pass.

IAA-Uhhh. This is distinctive. Pass.

TOP-Pass, I guess.

NpO-Fail, not really their fault though.

Just for fun, I'll see how each flag does using THE FIVE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF FLAG DESIGN

1. Keep It Simple

FOK-Fail. That lion is not getting done.

VE-Fail. Good luck getting the shield and griffin right.

FAN-Fail. Again, that's an actual carefully rendered image (albeit a familiar and iconic one)

IAA-Fail. No explanation needed.

TOP-The platypus skeleton is pretty hard to get right- and it looks like nothing if it isn't. Fail.

NpO-Barely fail. Getting the stars and globe right is tricky. The least bad though still, Fail.

2. Use Meaningful Symbolism

The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes…

FOK-Netherlands, lion, check. Pass.

VE-Griffin and shield. There is green, so barely pass.

FAN-Pass, with flying colors. Perfect image for symbolism.

IAA-I see some random junk hanging around. Fail.

TOP-Paradox Interactive heritage, check, orange, check. Pass.

NpO-NPO heritage, check, blue, check. Pass.

3. Use 2–3 Basic Colors

Limit the number of colors on the flag to three, which contrast well and come from the standard color set…

FOK-Pass.

VE-Nice job chooosing two colors that contrast terribly. Fail.

FAN-Pass.

IAA-Again, terrible contrast. Fail.

TOP-Orange and black :(. Fail

NpO-Colors are little weird (iced over?), but basically ok. Pass.

4. No Lettering or Seals

Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal…

FOK-Pass.

VE-Pass.

FAN-Pass.

IAA-Pass.

TOP-Fail.

NpO-Pass.

5. Be Distinctive or Be Related

Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections…

FOK-Fail, sorry but using the Netherlands right outright is too much (lion already shows connection).

VE-VE's great similarity to the Imperial Japanese Navy, showcased well. Fail.

FAN-Pass.

IAA-Uhhh. This is distinctive. Pass.

TOP-Pass, I guess.

NpO-Fail, not really their fault though.

Thank you, oh God of flagdom.

Boredom does strange things. As do ugly flags.

You sound like the kind of person who screams and writhes in pain whenever somebody uses Comic Sans in any way, shape, or form. Since you have deemed these clearly terrible flags to be beneath you, would you perhaps be so gracious as to show us a flag that meets your standards?

You sound like the kind of person who screams and writhes in pain whenever somebody uses Comic Sans in any way, shape, or form. Since you have deemed these clearly terrible flags to be beneath you, would you perhaps be so gracious as to show us a flag that meets your standards?

Yes, I am well know for being far too serious and lacking in a sense of humor. Some good flags are

-The vast majority of real countries (except Latin America, way too many seals).

-NPO

-NADC

-Almost GOONS.

1. Keep It Simple

Not that we're voting on the physical version, but I thought you might be interested to see what we did with the tricky parts. We don't do any of the fancy "globe" work but keep just a plain circle, although the star is still fairly tricky to draw I guess. This one is Dark Shakuras's flag and photo:

5055_1148539587298_1041810282_30510.jpg

PolarFlag.jpg

I think it turned out pretty nice looking.

Edited by Penguin

Not that we're voting on the physical version, but I thought you might be interested to see what we did with the tricky parts. We don't do any of the fancy "globe" work but keep just a plain circle, although the star is still fairly tricky to draw I guess. This one is Dark Shakuras' flag and photo:

That looks a lot nicer, the whole star within a star still seems pretty unecessary and the lines are a little weird (too much detail). Isn't there only one North Star?

That looks a lot nicer, the whole star within a star still seems pretty unecessary and the lines are a little weird (too much detail). Isn't there only one North Star?

Polaris is a double star. Well actually it's a triple star but there are two main components, Polaris A and Polaris B, that could be detected from early telescopes. For the sake of our flag, I like to pretend it is just a double star. ^_^

Edited by Penguin

Yes, I am well know for being far too serious and lacking in a sense of humor. Some good flags are

-The vast majority of real countries (except Latin America, way too many seals).

-NPO

-NADC

-Almost GOONS.

See, now you've lost me. First, as was already mentioned, the Polaris flag is crazy similar to the Pacifica flag for obvious reasons, yet you've classified them into "good" and "terrible". There are also countless real countries with awful flags, either due to over-complication (such as the seals you mentioned), or sheer lack of inspiration (the soup of stripes out there). While such simple striped flags may work in the real world, CN flags must also serve the purpose of standing out, in order to draw new members and international attention when public announcements are made. Vexillology in reality and flags in CN must meet different demands. In CN a flag must be easily recognizable and differentiated from other alliances in the game, must be reflective of the alliance's character, theme, and color sphere, and must present a singular image within it that can, apart from the flag, be used to represent the alliance in place of its name. The last standard may seem unusual, but it's vital for the propagation of propaganda and alliance imagery.

FOK's flag is a direct result of it being a Dutch alliance and their desire to crank that symbolism up to the max, so that even the newest of members can take one look at their flag and realize "wow, they must be Dutch." The lion, a symbol from a particular dutch soccer/football club if I'm not mistaken, further provides an example of their character, while the orange planet reflects their color orientation. As CN flags go, it is one of the more simple ones and thus its place here.

VE's flag is at this point a commonly recognized symbol and was, unless I'm mistaken, the first to adopt the rising sun theme. The green is an absolutely necessary reflection of the alliance's endless dedication to the green team, as has been evidence from the start with their name and reinforced through their history. The shield reflects their original "universal NAP". The gryphon... I can't really explain that but it isn't a heavily detailed image, albeit complicated. I can't understand your disdain for the green/white; it's among the most popular color combinations in flags, right up there with red/white and blue/white.

FAN's flag is spot on for representing their alliance. Predominance of yellow, an armed patriot, and a "hazardous" color scheme explain them end to end. It has the added advantage of a unique flag layout that remains simple, though I couldn't tell you what the stars stand for (if anything). Somebody call mpol, even if he can't explain them either his response will be entertaining.

The Polaris banner needs no explanation. It's simple, especially by CN standards, and even moreso if you find one of the older versions that are lacking the wavy effects. It is a universally recognized symbol even independent of its estranged red brother. Blue and white work well for theme and reflection of trading sphere. Whole design presents their history in a nutshell.

I kind of like IAA's flag, but outside the Imperial symbol in the center reflecting their theme as a Star Wars alliance, I couldn't explain a lick of it. TOP's flag should probably be orange and white rather than orange and black, given their historically reserved nature, but hey, that's a minor detail. It certainly seems to be working for 'em so far.

Are any of these the best flag in the game? It's arguable and a question of opinion, thus this long series of polls. Are they all terrible, as you say and repeat? No, especially not in comparison to the rest of CN in flags as judged by your own demands and especially not by the standards demanded by CN. I personally think they're all fairly good and was hard pressed to select one from the first four (FOK, VE, FAN, NpO). In the end, green is my favorite color, so I voted VE.

See, now you've lost me. First, as was already mentioned, the Polaris flag is crazy similar to the Pacifica flag for obvious reasons, yet you've classified them into "good" and "terrible". There are also countless real countries with awful flags, either due to over-complication (such as the seals you mentioned), or sheer lack of inspiration (the soup of stripes out there). While such simple striped flags may work in the real world, CN flags must also serve the purpose of standing out, in order to draw new members and international attention when public announcements are made. Vexillology in reality and flags in CN must meet different demands. In CN a flag must be easily recognizable and differentiated from other alliances in the game, must be reflective of the alliance's character, theme, and color sphere, and must present a singular image within it that can, apart from the flag, be used to represent the alliance in place of its name. The last standard may seem unusual, but it's vital for the propagation of propaganda and alliance imagery.

NPO uses solid colors. Huge, huge advantage. The globe+star also looks ugly. Pacifica's is great because it uses strong colors that grab your attention, but not colors that clash unpleasantly either. The irony is, while you talk about standing out, NPO's flag stands out because it is so simple and makes such good use of plain colors and shapes. Anyone can photoshop some neat images together and use a smooth color, the flags that stand out are the simple ones. There's not really any flag in the game that comes close when it comes to conveying a sense of the alliance's presence.

FOK's flag is a direct result of it being a Dutch alliance and their desire to crank that symbolism up to the max, so that even the newest of members can take one look at their flag and realize "wow, they must be Dutch." The lion, a symbol from a particular dutch soccer/football club if I'm not mistaken, further provides an example of their character, while the orange planet reflects their color orientation. As CN flags go, it is one of the more simple ones and thus its place here.

VE's flag is at this point a commonly recognized symbol and was, unless I'm mistaken, the first to adopt the rising sun theme. The green is an absolutely necessary reflection of the alliance's endless dedication to the green team, as has been evidence from the start with their name and reinforced through their history. The shield reflects their original "universal NAP". The gryphon... I can't really explain that but it isn't a heavily detailed image, albeit complicated. I can't understand your disdain for the green/white; it's among the most popular color combinations in flags, right up there with red/white and blue/white.

FAN's flag is spot on for representing their alliance. Predominance of yellow, an armed patriot, and a "hazardous" color scheme explain them end to end. It has the added advantage of a unique flag layout that remains simple, though I couldn't tell you what the stars stand for (if anything). Somebody call mpol, even if he can't explain them either his response will be entertaining.

The Polaris banner needs no explanation. It's simple, especially by CN standards, and even moreso if you find one of the older versions that are lacking the wavy effects. It is a universally recognized symbol even independent of its estranged red brother. Blue and white work well for theme and reflection of trading sphere. Whole design presents their history in a nutshell.

I kind of like IAA's flag, but outside the Imperial symbol in the center reflecting their theme as a Star Wars alliance, I couldn't explain a lick of it. TOP's flag should probably be orange and white rather than orange and black, given their historically reserved nature, but hey, that's a minor detail. It certainly seems to be working for 'em so far.

You do realize I gave all of them except IAA a "pass" for symbolism. Lots of text, not much I disagree with.

Thats not the flag we usually use. In our latest announcements (legion and blunity) we used this one.

NpOFlagMed.jpg

You know after all my time in CN, The hundres or thousands of times ive seen NpOs flag i just noticed that thing inside the star is another star.

voted FOK

edit: TOP is in this poll :facepalm:

same...I didn't know TOP was in it since they weren't included in the previous polls. So i nulled my vote to see the results :(

edit: grammer

Edited by ROMMELHSQ