VDL South Shenanigans

Lynneth

OOC: By keeping up with the world.

But really, I probably don't have even a tenth of the cool tech that exists even now. Just go research a bit.

OOC: Oh puh-lease.

Space elevator? That generator stuff, and now all that cool stuff?

You have a pretty cool nation. :awesome:

EDIT: But ok, I'll go research :ph34r:

Edited by JEDCJT

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: Levitating mice, eh? :awesome: That's my favorite, followed by Hal, and the flying cars. Not so sure I'd like the Brain-Computer interface despite its advantage.

IC: "Austria has proven they are indeed at the forefront of technological advancement.

OOC: :3

IC: "We have done so more than once."

OOC: Oh puh-lease.

Space elevator? That generator stuff, and now all that cool stuff?

You have a pretty cool nation. :awesome:

EDIT: But ok, I'll go research :ph34r:

OOC: What generator stuff again?

Also, 'cool nations'. Don't forget that Canuckistan built the Elevator, not Austria.

OOC: ....need more tech....

OOC: Yessss.

Me too

Österreichische Nachrichtenagentur (oena; Austrian News Agency)

Wien

Mere days ago, both government and the King decided that a consortium of the mining industries within Austria should be created, so that the mining companies can work together for common goals, such as more efficient extraction of resources.

The major goals would be maximising efficience of resource extraction and, at the same time to keep damages to the environment as low as humanly possible.

An admirable goal, indeed. We from ChannelSeven hope that the Consortium will be successful.

• 2 weeks later...

Wien

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just today, both Parliament and King have approved a project of incredible scale in Vienna. The city is to be made the greatest cities of all; Not with great palaces or massive parks, but with skyscrapers and urban growth.

th_1251148212725.jpg

Vienna will become the home of skyscrapers that the world hasn't ever seen before, constructions and building that will be second to none. Ah, and a note: The round building in the middle will likely become the new governmental main building, where the Parliament, the Chancellor and the King will do their daily governmental work.

Promised Land wishes Austria the best in this endeavor. Though it does look like it will be an expensive, long-term investment--especially if you truly intend to outdo all accomplishments of nations past and present.

OOC: :awesome: , Lynneth, truly :awesome: .

You have to do one better each time you re-roll, don't you? :P

Promised Land wishes Austria the best in this endeavor. Though it does look like it will be an expensive, long-term investment--especially if you truly intend to outdo all accomplishments of nations past and present.

OOC: :awesome: , Lynneth, truly :awesome: .

You have to do one better each time you re-roll, don't you? :P

"It will indeed be rather expensive, but we have the money. Austria is prospering like few other nations, and enjoying a period of peace and wealth despite being surrounded by hostile nations in the east, west and north."

OOC:

I'll stay Austria for a while, so I may as well do it right.

"It will indeed be rather expensive, but we have the money. Austria is prospering like few other nations, and enjoying a period of peace and wealth despite being surrounded by hostile nations in the east, west and north."

OOC:

I'll stay Austria for a while, so I may as well do it right.

"Aren't you still recovering from your civil war? The scars from those things don't just go away."

OOC: I thought you said a few days ago in VinceSixx's thread that you were still recovering.

Though I still think the endeavor is :awesome:

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

"Aren't you still recovering from your civil war? The scars from those things don't just go away."

OOC: I thought you said a few days ago in VinceSixx's thread that you were still recovering.

Though I still think the endeavor is :awesome:

"We indeed are, but more than 63% of the affected regions have been fully rebuilt by now, the rest is paid for. We can thus look for other things to spend excess money on."

OOC: See the IC response, lol.

Also, it is :awesome:

I'm going to try and turn all my cities into epic stuff like that. Or at least some others.

AR Alpha Science and Education channel

th_Xanatos.jpg

"Hello there, my friends, and welcome back.

Today, I will show you some of the architectural marvels and the cities of Austria, and some things that are being planned right now. For example,

Koper.

th_027527.jpg

Within the years that the city has been part of Austria, it prospered enormously, high-rise buildings and skyscrapers rising in many, many places.

th_222083.jpg

Here is another view of the city. More than two million people already live in Koper, and it's expected that this number will only grow, as it's the single largest port city of the country. Make sure to visit it if you're in the region, it's a sight to see, especially at night.

Another incredible city is Munich. With 3.4 million people in the immediate city and 6.5 million in the larger urban area, making it not only one of the most densely populated regions of Austria, but also one of those with the highest population.

th_039007.jpg

Here is a look at a small part of the skyline, from the river Isar. Note the varied construction styles which, despite their differences, work together quite well, creating a rather nice sight.

th_1176867103753.jpg

Just a note: The black smoke in the background is not pollution, but actually coloured steam, to make the impression of looking like a good old factory's smoke. It fits actually very well into this region of Munich, nearby the industrial district where you can see many such chimneys spewing fake-smoke. The train you're seeing is part of the public trainsystem within the city, which runs both above and below the ground, some of the tunnels going as deep as 80 meters below the surface, enough to withstand a nuclear blast right above it.

Taking one of these trains is an experience you won't get in any other city; Even the third class is highly comfortable, and the trains are as reliable as they can possibly get without adjusting the timetables.

Unfortunately, that's it already for today, but over the next weeks, I'll show you other cities and buildings in Austria, each single one of them a marvel of progress and technology. I hope you had fun watching. Goodbye."

Edited by Lynneth

OOC: Wow....oh wow, how do you find these utterly awesome city pictures? :o

Also, huge cities and supertall skyscrapers? Big and pretty targets for cruises and bombs, dont you think? :awesome:

OOC: Internet. Srsly.

Also, my national defense systems should be enough to take care of those. And really, do you want to risk having 90% of your characters killed because they committed atrocities against me? :awesome:

Also, comment IC. I feed on IC comments. :V

Edited by Lynneth

OOC: Ok, you got it :V

IC:

"Wow, Koper looks quite impressive. We marvel at the beauty of the city in jealousy, heh."

On a related note, subscriptions to the AR Alpha Science and Education channel by New Englanders tripled and even quadrupled.

"Koper is not the only Austrian city of such beauty. And tonight, I will show others."

th_Xanatos.jpg

"Welcome back once more, my friends.

The first city I will show you today is Rijeka, the second-biggest port city in Austria, right after Koper.

th_teknocityss2jw.jpg

Here you see a view from the japanese district towards the Tyrell Tower, the massive building in the far background. An interesting bit of background about the japanese district: Shortly after Sarah Tintagyl left the throne of the Hansa, many japanese emigrated for some reason to Austria. Perhaps it was because there already were numerous Singaporeans were living here, but the exact reasons aren't known, unfortunately. But, as you can see, Rijeka may be even more impressive than Koper, with not only the Tyrell Tower, but also the Fortuna Complex, which lay further towards the harbour and actually is part of it.

th_082321.jpg

This is a beautiful view from a helicopter onto the Fortuna Complex, with the Tyrell Tower in the background, to the right. Yes, you're seeing right: The citycenter of Rijeka is split into two tall buildings.

You may also see several large 'holes'. These are, in fact, big parks for people to go to and relax, much like the Central Park of New York. But even without these parks, there would be abundand green area in this part of the city as you can see, working quite well together with the futuristic look of the buildings, not clashing at all.

But that is of course not everything I will show.

Take Nuremberg, for example.

th_108756.jpg

The city has, due to its importance, an own airport. It has 1.25 million inhabitants, and many of its buildings are held in a rather simple style. However, there is experimentation with the lighting during the night.

th_129752.jpg

th_230504.jpg

The bright white of most cities hurts the eyes, and thus the city council has decided to experiment somewhat; As you see here, they are using a nice green, which I find to be better on the eyes than a white, but looks better aesthetically than for example blue or red lighting. That can be argued of course, and some people find other colours better. However, the sight alone makes me, a friend of architecture and city-aesthetics, smile.

But unfortunately, that is it already for today. Be sure to tune in the next time, when I will show you other cities of Austria. I hope you had fun watching. Goodbye."

th_Xanatos.jpg

"And again we meet.

Today, we shall take a look at a city in the mountains...Innsbruck, the city where the 'government' of the Martencist rebels was struck down.

First, shall we look at the outskirts of the city, a kilometer or two away from the main city..?

th_1255680846194.jpg

(OOC note: Please disregard the floating ships. Obviously not possible, but the pic is pretty. /OOC)

Impressive, isn't it? This is a small palace-fortress originally built more than a hundred years ago, which has turned into a proper part of Innsbruck over time. The two bridges you see are important parts of the infrastructure in the immediate region, but of course the main attraction is the city-district behind them, isn't it? Well, I can only say that visiting is a must. I've been there myself some weeks ago, and I was honestly impressed that none of the destruction from the civil war hit here. It's as if the Martencists simply ignored this part of Innsbruck.

But now, to the city itself.

th_35-calo-def.jpg

It's changed quite a bit since the war, in which, unfortunately, many of the historical sites and sights have been destroyed, mostly by rebel forces who tried to create barriers to slow our valiant troops. Of course, the government tried as well as it could to restore them, but, well...Not all could be restored, unfortunately. Invaluable treasures have thus been lost in a pointless war begun by men who speak of 'superior races' and other such idiocy.

But let's leave that aside, yes?

I wish to show you a small part of the industrial district of a certain city...

th_large_industrial.jpg

Which would be this here.

Can you find our where this could be? If not, then I'll tell you...next time.

The time is, unfortunately, up once more. But I will of course see you again, as I do every week. Goodbye, and I hope you enjoyed the show."

OOC: Who guesses right gets either a cookie or a random cameo. :V

Edited by Lynneth

OOC:

epic pictures. I'm gonna have to establish a Science and Education channel of my own to rival that of yours. Srsly. Your cities look THAT awesome :V

IC:

"..."

CLASSIFIED

"Okay, that's it. Let's show these Austrians what we're made of. Go make these photoshopped pictures of our cities and towns, nao! The Educational and Cultural Channel is now on!"

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Not Innsbruck, by any chance, hmm? :P

IC: We commend the Austrians on their remarkable ability to cope and recover from such a disaster.

OOC: And the guy I'm using fits perfectly for this, doesn't he?

Xanatos is just great.

Edit: Also, not Innsbruck. It's a city we didn't see yet.

IC: "We're stubborn guys. Nothing short of total nuclear annihilation would get rid of us."

OOC:

epic pictures. I'm gonna have to establish a Science and Education channel of my own to rival that of yours. Srsly. Your cities look THAT awesome :V

IC:

"..."

CLASSIFIED

"Okay, that's it. Let's show these Austrians what we're made of. Go make these photoshopped pictures of our cities and towns, nao! The Educational and Cultural Channel is now on!"

OOC: :awesome:

Edited by Lynneth

OOC: Sad, nobody aside from Subtle participated. ;_;

IC:

th_Xanatos.jpg

"Hello and welcome again.

Today I will reveal the mysterious picture from last time.

th_large_industrial.jpg

This is, in fact, a part of the industrialised region of Vienna, the capital of Austria. Congratulations go to Max Schwarz from Klosterneuburg and Simon Fischer from Schwadorf, who managed to reach the central almost simultaneously to give the right answer. The two will enjoy a great vacation in Koper, south of which are some incredible beaches.

Now then, let us resume the normal schedule.

th_121245.jpg

Vienna the beautiful. The greatest city in all of Austria, surpassed only by the Queen herself in beauty.

th_256227.jpg

Vienna the great. Counting the metropolitan area around her, Vienna has a population of 8 million, one of the, if not the largest city in the German-speaking parts of Europe.

th_265803.jpg

Vienna the eternal. For many centuries, she was the capital of one of the most powerful nations in Europe, the Austrian Empire. Today, she is the capital of one of the three most powerful nations in the world: Austria. Is this a coincidence? Possibly, but I like to think otherwise.

How else could this city grown to be so incredible, so beautiful?

th_1254196462046.jpg

If anyone can show me a city that can rival Vienna in its greatness, step forward, and try to convince me.

Which city in the world can keep up with Vienna?"

OOC: You can now "phone" (means: Play a caller) into the show and try to convince the man that another city is better. Preferrably with pictures!

Edited by Lynneth

A few callers from Promised land actually were willing to pay the bill it would cost them to call long distance, but none of them would be able to convince the host of the show that any city they had seen was truly more magnificent.

OOC: Really, Lynneth, you're better at this than I am. :awesome:

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

The AR Alpha Science and Education Channel would receive a call from a private New Englander citizen.

"Hello sir. The channel was pretty good, with all these pretty pictures and the like. However, Vienna pales in comparison to New York City. Yes, you heard right: New York City is more beautiful, larger, and more vibrant than Vienna. As the largest city ever in the Republic of New England, if not North America and the world, New York City is a vital economic, financial, trading, and cultural center, and it is one of the major communication and manufacturing hubs in New England. In fact, New York City is so great that they actually named it twice. Besides, New York City has over 19 million people, counting the metropolitan and urban areas. That's virtually the whole population of New York State. Don't believe me? It's true. See these pictures."

New-York-Skyline-Night-Fixed.jpg

"This is New York City at night. See how the city truly shines at night? It probably uses up more electricity than your entire nation uses in a night, and it will still have some in reserve. New York City is THAT awesome. Vienna cannot even hold a candle to New York City."

futuristiccity.png

(OOC: Ignore that car on the bridge)

"See these towering skyscrapers? That's New York City. You will never not find any business opportunities, and our citizens work hard and diligently to make New York City a success as it is. And they're proud of it. Everywhere you go, you will always see thriving businesses. Unemployment is virtually unheard, and though New York City is a vast city, crime level is very low, due to the efforts of the ever-vigiliant NYPD. This is a city that never sleeps, indeed."

manhattan-skyline.jpg

"As you may know, New York City is divided into Five Boroughs, each of which is beautiful, vibrant, and unique on their own. Here's Manhattan."

32356501_23328505.jpg

"This is Brooklyn. See the way the sea reflects New York City's glory?"

skyline2420new.jpg

"This is the Bronx."

Panorama_of_Manhattan_and_part_of_Q.jpg

"This is Queens. See how it pans out?"

800px-Flushing_Meadows_Globe.jpg

"On a related note, this is the Unisphere. Located in Queens, New York, the Unisphere is one of the most iconic symbols in the Borough and indeed New York City itself. This is the reason why New York City is known as the 'Capital of the World' (Caput Mundi)."

"Um, I couldn't find a good picture of Staten Island, so let's move on."

"Lastly, this is the Statue of Liberty! Gifted to the first United States of America by France as a gesture of friendship and goodwill in 1886, the State of Liberty is the most famous structure in New York City. Over the course of the city's history, the Statue of Liberty greeted millions of immigrants who moved to the United States in the nineteenth and twentieth century. Indeed, it was the first aspect foreign immigrants saw on their way to the land of opportunity and freedom. It is a shining beacon of liberty and freedom, and situated on Liberty Island on the New York harbor, it is impossible to miss."

800px-Statue_of_Liberty_NY.jpg

"Well, there are more, but I don't want to dazzle you too much about New York City and its awesomeness, and not to mention the long-distance bill to make this call would ruin me. But it's definitely worth it, though. Have a good day, sir."

With that, the call ended.

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Jed's Pictures removed to prevent a too long post.

IC:

The AR Alpha Science and Education Channel would receive a call from a private New Englander citizen.

"Hello sir. The channel was pretty good, with all these pretty pictures and the like. However, Vienna pales in comparison to New York City. Yes, you heard right: New York City is more beautiful, larger, and more vibrant than Vienna. As the largest city ever in the Republic of New England, if not North America and the world, New York City is a vital economic, financial, trading, and cultural center, and it is one of the major communication and manufacturing hubs in New England. In fact, New York City is so great that they actually named it twice. Besides, New York City has over 19 million people, counting the metropolitan and urban areas. That's virtually the whole population of New York State. Don't believe me? It's true. See these pictures."

th_Xanatos.jpg

"Ahh, New York.

The Big Apple. Indeed a very impressive city, yes.

However..."

[snip]

"This is New York City at night. See how the city truly shines at night? It probably uses up more electricity than your entire nation uses in a night, and it will still have some in reserve. New York City is THAT awesome. Vienna cannot even hold a candle to New York City."

"I believe you may be vastly exaggerating. Yes, NYC does use quite a bit of power, but not as much as a nation of 86 million people who use electric cars instead of gas-powered ones. Nowhere as much, in fact, because we can afford to 'waste' power, thanks to fusion power.

That said: How much of New York's energy is actually clean? What was produced by nuclear and renewable sources, not coal, gas and the like? A city of this magnitude cannot use truly clean energy without the construction of fusion power plants within the nation this city is located in.

Vienna, as well as the entirety of Austria, uses nothing but fusion power to produce electricity. No solar farms, no environmentally disturbing or damaging dams and wind power plants, no coal or gas or whatever other sources there are. Only fusion, the cleanest source of power there is.

Now, to your other arguments."

[snip]

(OOC: Ignore that car on the bridge)

"See these towering skyscrapers? That's New York City. You will never not find any business opportunities, and our citizens work hard and diligently to make New York City a success as it is. And they're proud of it. Everywhere you go, you will always see thriving businesses. Unemployment is virtually unheard, and though New York City is a vast city, crime level is very low, due to the efforts of the ever-vigiliant NYPD. This is a city that never sleeps, indeed."

"Interestingly, any and all points you bring up here can be applied to numerous Austrian cities as well, such as Koper, Munich or, of course, Vienna, even if none are as sizable as New York. Crime rates in Austria are some of the lowest in the world, thanks to a highly effective and technologically superior police force, with excellently-trained officers. Business in Austria thrives as well, shown by the high GDP per capita of 37 thousand (US$). Unemployment rates are healthy, at 4.3%; Note that too low unemployment leads to inflation, while too high unemployment leads to deflation, neither of which is good if you have too much of it. And just like in New York, there are always numerous people awake in Vienna, and many restaurants are open 24/7 because of this."

[snip]

"As you may know, New York City is divided into Five Boroughs, each of which is beautiful, vibrant, and unique on their own. Here's Manhattan."

[snip]

"This is Brooklyn. See the way the sea reflects New York City's glory?"

[snip]

"This is the Bronx."

[snip]

"This is Queens. See how it pans out?"

"The districts are indeed quite impressive, but I do not think that they are just as great as what Vienna is - and will become over the next years. Perhaps you have seen the recent announcement that Vienna will be expanded into the sky?"

th_1251148212725.jpg

[snip]

"On a related note, this is the Unisphere. Located in Queens, New York, the Unisphere is one of the most iconic symbols in the Borough and indeed New York City itself. This is the reason why New York City is known as the 'Capital of the World' (Caput Mundi)."

"Um, I couldn't find a good picture of Staten Island, so let's move on."

"Vienna doesn't have a statue of the world, but it does have numerous sights and places of interest. Let me recall just a few of them...

We have the Hofburg Imperial Palace, in which King Alexander resides. We have the Schönbrunn Palace, another great palace of the city. On the grounds of the Schönbrunn Palace is the Tiergarten of Schönbrunn, the oldest zoo in the world.

th_T-Mobile_Center_Vienna.jpg

As you can see, Vienna has more than enough attractions to make up for the lack of a globus."

"Lastly, this is the Statue of Liberty! Gifted to the first United States of America by France as a gesture of friendship and goodwill in 1886, the State of Liberty is the most famous structure in New York City. Over the course of the city's history, the Statue of Liberty greeted millions of immigrants who moved to the United States in the nineteenth and twentieth century. Indeed, it was the first aspect foreign immigrants saw on their way to the land of opportunity and freedom. It is a shining beacon of liberty and freedom, and situated on Liberty Island on the New York harbor, it is impossible to miss."

[snip]

"Well, there are more, but I don't want to dazzle you too much about New York City and its awesomeness, and not to mention the long-distance bill to make this call would ruin me. But it's definitely worth it, though. Have a good day, sir."

With that, the call ended.

"Ahh...The Statue of Liberty. The one single sight that could make me change my opinion. Unfortunately, the culinary specialities of Vienna make me think otherwise. Sachertorte? Wiener Schnitzel? Great and delicious symbols of this city, and our culture, even if they didn't greet as many immigrants as Lady Liberty did. Oh, and you shouldn't quote wikipedia articles, young man. Makes you look bad.

You brought up a good and well thought out arguement, but it was not enough to sway me, unfortunately. New York is beautiful, of course. But Vienna is simply magnificent.

Additionally, I forgot to note: All calls are paid for by AR Alpha, not the callers."

Edited by Lynneth

th_Xanatos.jpg

"And another time where we meet. Welcome.

Today, I will not show you something that exists right now, but what is being planned. Salzburg is the focus of interest.

th_1256421201251.jpg

Arcologies. Massive arcologies, almost completely self-sustained cities. Currently, they're only being planned, but the government has outlined their plans of really building these things, each capable of housing at least 100,000 people, if not more. They will be roughly 350 meters or so tall, with the large photovoltaik arrays working together with relatively small-scale fusion reactors to power the arcologies and quite an area around them.

th_1256567066564.jpg

Currently, Salzburg is quite a bit less impressive, though there sometimes are simply beautiful views.

th_1256527366226.jpg

Such as seen here. Now, I do hope that the arcologies will indeed be built soon. I'd love to visit one, or even live in it!

Now, however, let us look at Würzburg, which lays at the Main river.

th_1256420600230.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the technicians thought it would be good to play around with this picture in photoshop or somesuch image editing program...But, despite this, the picture shows the beauty of the city.

th_1255852204852.jpg

He did the same with this one. What cannot be seen on these pictures is the Altstadt of Würzburg, which contrasts these modern buildings strongly, but beautifully. Perhaps I'll one day find a picture where both the Altstadt and the more modern parts of the city are on the same picture, but that could take a while...

Anyways, that was it already for today. I hope you enjoyed it."

Wien

A scientist claims he successfully crossed a squirrel with fire, creating a fire-squirrel.

Experts say that it is photoshopped, knowing from the pixels and having seen a few 'shops in their time.

b25859b6079a.jpg

1253932228121.jpg

"Austria is almost completely surrounded by nations that wish nothing more than its destruction. To the west is the Militärrepublik Rheinmark, a Neo-Martencist nation that ruthlessly forces Nord culture upon its citizens. Its name alone,Military Republic, shows its true intentions, and even now they are trying to infiltrate our great country to bring it down.

In the east, there is Dalmatia, a Nordic-embracing nation in a region that historically has barely been part of the 'German Reich' or any 'Nord culture'. Once more, they force their propaganda upon the people, attempting to eradicate all cultures but their own. They are quite clearly insane, trying to destroy the rich history of Europe and replacing it with their own.

In the north, the infamous Deutschland, claiming a name that does not belong to them. They say they are Germans, but nothing they do is german. Their leaders are from the Scandinavian Nordheim, their technology from treacherous 'german' empires which self-destructed themselves one way or another. Each of these nations was led by a pawn or believer of a single man: Martens.

th_022701.jpg

This is what they want to turn us into. Shadows of ourselves, everything this nation stands for destroyed.

They hate us because we resist them. They despise us because we stand true to German and Austrian history.

th_1250858613049.jpg

But this hate only makes us stronger. Even after the terrible war against Martencism within our very nation, which was supplied by these 'Germanics', anything they do just makes us stronger, more resolute and smarter.

Do your part, and fight the good fight.

th_014393.png

Helping to prevent crime is but a small part of this. Work determinedly, to strengthen our country. Report subversives at your local school or police station. Learn to use a weapon, be it a gun or a sword. Prepare for the worst, so that even the apocalypse cannot bring us down.

Even now, the glorious Austrian Military is building defensive lines at strategic locations within the country, so that any aggressor will suffer terrible casualties even with overwhelming superiority in numbers.

MilitaryBuildup.jpg

Always remember: This is your fight, too."

OOC: Austrian Propaganda. Now

MadeWithRAGE.png

Edited by Lynneth